PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike NB, 19E to Damascus

paistes5
09-14-2016, 14:37
I'm doing a section hike in a couple of weeks and am trying to determine a realistic daily mileage on the section from 19E, just north of Roan Mtn/Overmountain, in to Damascus. I believe it's just shy of 80 miles but in my planning I am having a difficult time determining what an average daily mileage might be for a section hiker. Any thoughts?

Gambit McCrae
09-14-2016, 14:45
Best thing to do is start at 19e with ambition of getting to Damascus, but take every day comfortably, and the key is to stay on the trail for the entirety of your endeavor. If you make it you make it, if you don't its fine, I only feel cruddy about my trips when I bail days in advance. but to answer your question 6-12 miles would be the low end of daily miles, 12-17 would be pretty average and 17 + would be a long day depending on the terrain. IMO

MuddyWaters
09-14-2016, 14:49
I like to plan 17 mpd
100 miles per week with 1 day off
Usually exceed, but it's what I know I can comfortably adhere to for a fixed timeframe.

If I have short days, I can make it up with longer ones to stay ahead of schedule

I might decrease it a tad when days get short and cold, because then I like for sun to be up before I get out of my snug warm cocoon, and like to be ready for bed before sun goes down and fingers get numb.

But telling you what I do, is completely worthless without knowing anything about you. For all we know your 200 lb overweight, blind, and have one leg.

map man
09-14-2016, 19:01
If you have hiked any other parts of the AT between Damascus and Springer I can tell you I found the 34 miles of trail between US 19E and US 321 to be of similar difficulty to other parts of the southern Appalachians, but the 42 miles between US 321 and Damascus to definitely be easier. If you haven't hiked any of the AT previously that won't help you much, I know, but it's hard for me to say much else since I don't know anything about how many miles per day you are comfortable with elsewhere.

Bipolar Roller
09-14-2016, 21:01
HI. I just finished 19e to Wilbur dam road and Wilbur dam road to Damascus this summer. My wife and two daughters with me avg 8to 12 a day. Depending on the trail and camping spots. I loved the easy hike into Damascus to finish off the hike. Greasy creek shuttled me for the 19e to Wilbur dam and Rogers mtn outfitters the other portion. Message me if you like.

paistes5
09-15-2016, 15:34
Thank you everyone for the input. I put together an extremely conservative schedule that averages just over 9 miles per day. Thought I'd stretch it out since I have all week. If I get to Damascus early, I may just go a little further.

Tennessee Viking
09-15-2016, 16:52
Plan on no-camping between US321 and Wilbur Dam Road.

The only real portion I hated was the climb over Pond Mountain. Rocky and steep in parts even with switchbacks on the Gorge side.

Expect humidity to slow you down

Dan Roper
09-15-2016, 23:31
There's a good new hostel just before Highway 321, Boots Off. It's nice and helps cover the gap created by the Watauga Shelter and vicinity bear closure.

Last year, at age 54, I did the stretch that includes 19e to Dennis Cove Road. It took me about 1.5 days in hot and humid conditions (August). On the profile map, it looked easy. It wasn't (though I think it would be on a cool day).

This summer, I did Dennis Cove Road to Damascus in high heat and humidity (July). There were an epidemic number of trees down from Watauga Dam on past Vendeventer Shelter. Despite the tough conditions, I did that stretch in three nights and four days of 9, 15, 16, and 11 miles. Due to the heat, I did not find the terrain from Vandeventer to Damascus nearly as easy as I had expected, the maps show, and nearly everybody reports. But in cool weather without epidemic deadfalls, I think that stretch would be quite pleasant.

An experienced, in shape backpacker anywhere in the 30 to 60 age range in cool weather could probably easily handle 15 miles per day on that full stretch of trail and could do more. (Two years ago, I met two 40+ women who, in high summer, averaged 20+ miles per day on that stretch). Adjust your mileage as needed for age, personal physical condition, and weather conditions.

ChuckT
09-16-2016, 10:33
I'm doing 321 to Damascus next week, starting 22nd at 321. Expect 15 m/day. Hot weather 40% chance of afternoon showers. Hammock hanging rather than the shelters. Carrying 3 days food. My memory of this section is getting up on the ridge then a fairly easy slog to Damascus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

paistes5
09-16-2016, 10:43
I saw the Boots Off Hostel but was bit concerned by the negative review on there. Anybody stayed there, positives/negatives, etc.?