PDA

View Full Version : Day hikers - removing a trace

Maydog
09-15-2016, 06:59
This applies to everyone, but day hikers really have an opportunity to help out here. We all know about Leave No Trace, but unfortunately there are inconsiderate slobs that not only leave a trace but leave their bleepin' garbage behind. (Ever notice that 99% of them drink cheap beer?) I've started carrying a trash bag in my backpack when I go for a day hike. I always bring my own garbage back and I pick up at least one other piece of trash (an inconsiderate slob's) on the way back.

You don't have to clean up every piece of trash you see, or mess with the nasty stuff if you don't want to, but consider making a commitment to haul out more than you hauled in, even if it's just a candy wrapper. For me, it's one way to reduce my anger over seeing trash in otherwise pristine environments. Rather than just complaining, I try to do something about it. The law won't let us drive bamboo under the fingernails of stupid litterbugs, so we have to do something to release the anger.

Please help if you can.

chknfngrs
09-15-2016, 07:05
I like this, and will adopt it. Thanks!

Deacon
09-15-2016, 07:05
This applies to everyone, but day hikers really have an opportunity to help out here. We all know about Leave No Trace, but unfortunately there are inconsiderate slobs that not only leave a trace but leave their bleepin' garbage behind. (Ever notice that 99% of them drink cheap beer?) I've started carrying a trash bag in my backpack when I go for a day hike. I always bring my own garbage back and I pick up at least one other piece of trash (an inconsiderate slob's) on the way back.

You don't have to clean up every piece of trash you see, or mess with the nasty stuff if you don't want to, but consider making a commitment to haul out more than you hauled in, even if it's just a candy wrapper. For me, it's one way to reduce my anger over seeing trash in otherwise pristine environments. Rather than just complaining, I try to do something about it. The law won't let us drive bamboo under the fingernails of stupid litterbugs, so we have to do something to release the anger.

Please help if you can.

I certainly support this. I find myself getting more and more angry when I see trash on the trail. IM GOING TO CHOKE SOMEBODY!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saltysack
09-15-2016, 07:32
I certainly support this. I find myself getting more and more angry when I see trash on the trail. IM GOING TO CHOKE SOMEBODY!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1....this year on FHT people at TRSP thought I was bum with trashed stuffed and hanging on my pack. I always bring an extra gallon ziplock and a grocery store bag for this reason alone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KidA24
09-15-2016, 08:04

Please help if you can.

Walking the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin, I do this regularly. Gatorade bottles and cans of Bud Light seem to be the worst offenders.

DuneElliot
09-15-2016, 08:32
I try to do that on day hikes around here too, but I so far I've only really had to pick up broken snow machine parts! I rarely see much trash on the trails here...front country campsites are a different thing and when I'm car camping I always end up taking home more than my trash.

rhjanes
09-15-2016, 09:15
I do this on my weekly "forest hike". It is a well used equestrian trail. Hikers, families and trail runners all use it. I carry a Camelbak day pack and usually pick up the freshly tossed empty H2O, the empty sport drink bottles. Occasionally I pick up other trash. Usually find a "new" bit of trash, often 3 to 5 pieces a week. Others also pick up trash and the trail maintainer team gets out there and really picks up! This last spring, the trail flooded (it is along a Texas Lake) and a TON of trash was washed into some areas. They went in with bobcat and horses and hauled out a LOT of trash!
But it is still sad that people just toss their stuff. I really feel bad for some private property where people on the trail (public land) toss their trash onto the private property.

runt13
09-16-2016, 08:23
As an avid small game hunter, i walk many miles a season through the woods, only about 10 to 15 % of the time on trails. I make it a practice as well as my buddy's as to pick up as much ''trace'' stuff as we can.

''Cheap beer'' in cans and bottles are probably one of the top hauls, then comes soda and water containers, followed by old balloons, then plastic bags.

I just don't get why if you carry a full / heavy thing into the woods, why you wouldn't just haul the empty light stuff out with you. Baffled!

On another note, somewhat related, every year at the Delaware Water Gap, the weekend just before deer season there is a awesome group of folks that hit the river with kayaks and canoes to grab as much ''TRACE'' stuff out of the river and off the banks. You would be amazes as to the amount and the items they haul out of the river.

RUNT ''13''

egilbe
09-16-2016, 10:00
Walking the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin, I do this regularly. Gatorade bottles and cans of Bud Light seem to be the worst offenders.

oh yes, very commom drink of choice by the backcountry slob. Anyone who drinks that swill automatically loses 10 respect points.

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 10:15
oh yes, very commom drink of choice by the backcountry slob. Anyone who drinks that swill automatically loses 10 respect points.

If it's free I'll drink it, but I wouldn't buy it.

eabyrd1506
09-16-2016, 10:44
Good for you promoting this. I generally do this and often my pack weighs more at the end of the trail then at the beginning despite the fact I suck water like a hippo. Sometimes the feeling of doing good doesn't overcome the depression at the slovenly habits of my fellow hikers but generally it does. I have been questioned about the habit on more then one occasion and notice more than a few eye-rolls so I'm happy to read others practice this as well.

I've seen the problem exists at the few shelters I've visited so far too. Who promotes throwing plastic in fire rings BTW, that's not the way to dispose of your split bottles.

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2016, 11:52

Did the cat get your tongue?
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Youcantmakethisup.jpg

Another Kevin
09-16-2016, 16:42
I always trash out when I go on a short trip. Sometimes there's more trash than I can carry.

My weirdest haul included a black rubber glove, a pink knit stocking cap, a pair of blue plaid boxer shorts, and a lot of tallboys. This was in a nature preserve posted 'no camping,' by the way. There must be a story, but I don't think I want to know. What was really obnoxious was that I was picking up part of that mess in front of a few high school boys who'd sneaked in there with their cheap beer. They said, basically, 'hyuk, hyuk, look at the garbage man!' and pitched their empties at me. I said, 'thanks, but you don't need to throw them. I can pick them up over there if you're too weak to pack them out.' and went on with my business.

Puddlefish
09-16-2016, 16:52
I always trash out when I go on a short trip. Sometimes there's more trash than I can carry.

My weirdest haul included a black rubber glove, a pink knit stocking cap, a pair of blue plaid boxer shorts, and a lot of tallboys. This was in a nature preserve posted 'no camping,' by the way. There must be a story, but I don't think I want to know. What was really obnoxious was that I was picking up part of that mess in front of a few high school boys who'd sneaked in there with their cheap beer. They said, basically, 'hyuk, hyuk, look at the garbage man!' and pitched their empties at me. I said, 'thanks, but you don't need to throw them. I can pick them up over there if you're too weak to pack them out.' and went on with my business.

Bonus for style points.

misprof
09-16-2016, 17:03
We also pick up trash along the way during short hikes. Good practice. The things you see though, one campsite we were at had a mattress, ( I kid you not. Someone hauled a mattress miles into the woods. I guess they wanted the mice to have a cozy winter home as they left it there.

Deadeye
09-17-2016, 17:06
Been picking up other people's trash for years. Can't understand why people do that, but they do, so I pick it up... I can't ignore it.

The newest thing that drives me nuts is the people that bag their dog's poop, then leave the bag trailside. ARRRGGGHHHH. Let the dog poop in the woods, kick the poop off the trail if necessary, but don't make it worse by baggin' the crap and leaving it!!!!

becfoot
09-17-2016, 21:26
Yep, I'm a proud trash-hauler!!!! I usually have an extra bag or two to stuff on my way out. The other week I was at the top of Fitzgerald Falls and someone had bagged a ton of stuff--but too much for me to haul out on that trip, so I took a few things.
I've noticed some trails where there are swimming holes and people will toss garbage at the trail head. If you're going to bring it to the trail head, why not put it in your car and take it out?! Ugh. I always pick up a ton of stuff at places like that.

MuddyWaters
09-17-2016, 21:32
Look under rocks at shelter camp areas too.

DuneElliot
09-18-2016, 09:49
Been picking up other people's trash for years. Can't understand why people do that, but they do, so I pick it up... I can't ignore it.

The newest thing that drives me nuts is the people that bag their dog's poop, then leave the bag trailside. ARRRGGGHHHH. Let the dog poop in the woods, kick the poop off the trail if necessary, but don't make it worse by baggin' the crap and leaving it!!!!

I've seen that...absolutely sucks. I'd rather someone just left the poop in the middle of the trail than bag it and leave it...urgh

egilbe
09-18-2016, 10:24
I Climbed Mt Tecumseh in the White Mountains yesterday and I am pleased to report, I saw no trail litter. :banana That very rarely happens. 15 or so people in the Summit when we got there, one lady finished her NH 48 at the same time we started out NH 48. I expected more trash. pleasantly surprised.

LIhikers
09-18-2016, 20:50
Years ago I added a mesh pocket to the outside of my day pack just for the purpose of hauling out trash.