PDA

View Full Version : Hunny Bear Canister - Indigogo Campaign

StealthHikerBoy
09-15-2016, 08:33
Interested in what people here think of this new bear canister: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hunny-better-bear-resistant-canisters-camping

I've long thought the bear can is a product ready for some type of disruption. Current options are inconvenient and way too heavy. This looks promising to me.

nsherry61
09-15-2016, 09:01
Looks too good to be true. Looks brilliantly designed. The big catch is that, without approval, they're useless. And, the approval process seems to be slow and uncertain.

I love the concept and hope they do well. I may just have to gamble some of my money to help the process along.

Sandy of PA
09-15-2016, 10:36
The shape and size would not fit in any pack I carry. No dimensions are listed, but the pictures next to the Bareboxer and the Garcia indicate it is huge!

Dogwood
09-15-2016, 15:43
Sizes of the various models are clearly displayed. Even in the largest can size of 12" X 9" it seems it would fit into a backpack volume size commonly used on hikes of the JMT, AT, and in many other places where cans are required.

What I want to know is how the resin lids attach in the 13.4 oz Hunny Bear Necessities model and 8 oz Ursa minor version as I see that being a potential sticking point in gaining SIBBG approval? I'd be very interested in purchasing both these models if they gain SIBBG approve. I personally see the 25 oz can version gaining quicker approval. For $39 with SIBBG approval for that volume of storage you have a bear can winner!

Even if not gaining SIBBG approval for all three models they may still be functional for other locations where one wants to protect food and scented items from various critters.

Farr Away
09-15-2016, 15:48
The dimensions are listed, and I think the picture is not to scale. One of them is listed as 11 liter capacity, but the smallest is listed as 283 cc.

-FA

rafe
09-15-2016, 16:11
I like it. I hope they succeed and get approval. Might even chip in a few bucks. Thanks for posting this.

poolskaterx
09-15-2016, 16:54
Looks pretty sweet, may pitch in for an Ursa minor, perfect 3 dayer!

poolskaterx
09-15-2016, 19:54
Well. Both myself and a buddy put out some dough in hopes to get the Ursa. In the Sierras that I hike in, there is no requirement to use a bear box however I HAVE lost my food to a bear one time before on a hike... it was a hungry walk out; I now ALWAYS pack my food in a bear canister.

It would be so awesome to go from 2lbs to 8oz!!!!!!!!
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_620/v1473843303/pfdc2imfqjzpxrze9cqu.png

Franco
09-15-2016, 22:20
Well I don't know about getting it aproved, those lids don't look all that hard to undo, but I found their costing to be somewhat peculiar .
Here is the breakdown :

10.5 ounces ULTEM resin, $5.56
Total weight of Titanium-Aluminum Alloy not including scrap costs (May ’16 Alibaba Market Billet Prices), $5.59
Daily manufacturing cost for 40 canister/day production line (labor costs amortized at scale), CreatorBot 3D Pro Series (3 machines, $8355 total), $22.89
Donation to the Yosemite Conservancy, $1.00
Labor and operational costs, $4.00
TOTAL ESTIMATED COST $39.04

Can anyone spot the problem ?

MtDoraDave
09-16-2016, 07:32
Well I don't know about getting it aproved, those lids don't look all that hard to undo, but I found their costing to be somewhat peculiar .
Here is the breakdown :

10.5 ounces ULTEM resin, $5.56
Total weight of Titanium-Aluminum Alloy not including scrap costs (May ’16 Alibaba Market Billet Prices), $5.59
Daily manufacturing cost for 40 canister/day production line (labor costs amortized at scale), CreatorBot 3D Pro Series (3 machines, $8355 total), $22.89
Donation to the Yosemite Conservancy, $1.00
Labor and operational costs, $4.00
TOTAL ESTIMATED COST $39.04

Can anyone spot the problem ?

No Profit?

poolskaterx
09-16-2016, 13:01
...but at the estimated price they are giving they could triple the price and it would still be a first choice for many I would think.

colorado_rob
09-16-2016, 13:11
...but at the estimated price they are giving they could triple the price and it would still be a first choice for many I would think.Maybe, but I'm not sure I see a huge advantage of these over the good old, tried and true Wild ideas Berikade. I think the actual berikade product that is roughly the same size (700 ci) as this proposed larger canister is 32 ounces vs. 25 ounces, and who knows what the actual weight will come in at for this new canister.

So IMHO the jury is way, way still out on three things: approval, actual price and actual weight.

poolskaterx
09-16-2016, 18:00
Maybe, but I'm not sure I see a huge advantage of these over the good old, tried and true Wild ideas Berikade. I think the actual berikade product that is roughly the same size (700 ci) as this proposed larger canister is 32 ounces vs. 25 ounces, and who knows what the actual weight will come in at for this new canister.

So IMHO the jury is way, way still out on three things: approval, actual price and actual weight.

True on the all three items: approval, actual weight, actual price.

But as I said even if they tripled the cost (for the Ursa, I put in $20 bucks) and lets say they charged at retail $60 or even $100 that is $155 less than the Bearikade Scout that weighs 1lb 12oz... that's 1lb 2oz heavier than the claimed Ursa Hunny at 8oz. That is a HUGE advantage! I will just have to wait until next year to see if my $20 gamble pays off... worst case is a dollar get donated:)

Be pretty awesome if these come in to the market.

Franco
09-16-2016, 18:23
Not only no profit but given that it appears to be the only product they would be making , how are they going to cover all the other expenses related to making and selling the product ?
For example : CreatorBot 3D Pro Series (3 machines, $8355 total),
that would indicate they will be making it themselves. So who will pay for warehouse space? Lighting,heating,insurance, the person anwsering the phones, the one getting the orders and sending them away....
short version , if a product cost $39 to make and you sell it for $40 you are not going to stay in business for long.