PDA

View Full Version : bivy vs. hammock

longshank
01-11-2006, 12:37
I have in my arsenal a Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy that I was thinking about using on my 07 thru-hike, but I'm reading that many hikers seem to favor a hammock...Pro's and con's for either?

txulrich
01-11-2006, 12:59
I have in my arsenal a Black Diamond Lightsabre bivy that I was thinking about using on my 07 thru-hike, but I'm reading that many hikers seem to favor a hammock...Pro's and con's for either?

While a bivy, tarp and pad will be a bit lighter than a hammock, hammocks have bivys beat on comfort, time to setup camp and site selection.

My old bones don't like sleeping on the ground any more, so for me, there is no real choice here.

KirkMcquest
01-11-2006, 13:08

I also have the black diamond lightsaber bivy. I've never used a hammock but set up seems like a pain in the butt. Also, is it more to carry?

hammock engineer
01-11-2006, 13:57
Check out Jeff's site www.tothewoods.net (http://www.tothewoods.net) or Rock's site www.hikinghq.net (http://www.hikinghq.net) . They have a lot of useful info. I made the switch for comfort reasons. There is also more to consider in staying warm.

I have the HH ultralight. Stock it weighs 2.5 lbs, I am going to use a bigger tarp that will add a couple ozs. I am in the process of making a top and underquilt to use. They should weigh about 2-2.5 lbs each.

It maybe a little more weight, but to me the comfort more than makes up for it. I think that it opens up more sites that it takes away. No need for flat, clear spots. Just 2 trees about 12 feet apart. Should be plenty of them around.

hammock engineer
01-11-2006, 13:59
[quote=hammock engineer]
They should weigh about 2-2.5 lbs each.
quote]

Correction 2-2.5 lbs total. Never could do simple math.

trippclark
01-11-2006, 15:26
[QUOTE=KirkMcquest]I've never used a hammock but set up seems like a pain in the butt.QUOTE]

Much to the contrary, sleeping on the ground is a pain in the butt, and back, and shoulders . . . The hammock is very comfy!!

trippclark
01-11-2006, 15:27
[QUOTE=KirkMcquest]I've never used a hammock but set up seems like a pain in the butt. [QUOTE]

Much to the contrary, sleeping on the ground is a pain in the butt, and back, and shoulders . . . The hammock is very comfy!!

Seeker
01-13-2006, 15:33
I also have the black diamond lightsaber bivy. I've never used a hammock but set up seems like a pain in the butt. Also, is it more to carry?

my HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym weighs 2 lbs. add 10oz if i bring a bigger 8 x 10 tarp vs stock tarp. need extra tentpegs if i bring the bigger tarp too.

i can set mine up much faster than i could a dome tent. but i'd use it even if it took longer and weighed more than it does, because for me the issue is comfort and dryness... my old back doesn't like the ground. i sleep better in a hammock than on any mattress. have never gotten seriously wet, or had the floor of my hammock flood, or had a tree root dig into my back though it... no rain, no bugs, no bumps... all for 2 lbs... such a deal!

Ender
01-13-2006, 15:51

Setup is very easy. Literally just wrapping two ropes around trees. Very easy. Mine weighs in at 1 lb 15 oz exactly. I'm trying to find a larger sly, but made out of lighter material. Don't need it, just want it. The stock fly, while small, is sufficient enough that it saw me through a High Sierras storm with winds 50mph+, rain and hail, and I stayed nice and toasty dry.

Seeker
01-13-2006, 16:44
Setup is very easy. Literally just wrapping two ropes around trees. Very easy. Mine weighs in at 1 lb 15 oz exactly. I'm trying to find a larger sly, but made out of lighter material. Don't need it, just want it. The stock fly, while small, is sufficient enough that it saw me through a High Sierras storm with winds 50mph+, rain and hail, and I stayed nice and toasty dry.

i've added a couple silnylon pockets and some small carabiners, hence my higher weight for the same hammock...