PDA

View Full Version : Knife sharpener?

Huli
09-16-2016, 09:13
I was looking through my gear and realized I have a knife sharpener. It's quite small, 35 grams. Thought about not taking it, but then, what do you all do to keep your cutting tool of choice sharp?

Deacon
09-16-2016, 09:31
Assuming you are backpacking, how often do you use your knife when you're backpacking? I would think it wouldn't be an issue.

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 09:54
I sharpen my knives maybe once a year, but I'm not hard on them. I can't imagine having a need for a knife sharpener on a short trip, unless you baton or whittle a lot of wood. I've only actually used my knife on one trip, the rest of the time it sits in my hip belt pocket...but a knife is one thing I'd rather have and not need and still carry every time even if it doesn't get used...same with a compass, at least where I hike.

Sarcasm the elf
09-16-2016, 10:08
On a lightweight backpacking trip? I've never used my knives hard enough to dull them under these circumstances.

I do carry a multi-sharpening tool when I am base camping or car camping because then I'm cooking, whittling, cutting firewood, etc. But these are not activities I usually do when I am hiking light and fast.

If I really needed to sharpen a knive in a pinch, I would just wait until I was in town and the give it a few passes on the bottom of a cerramic plate or coffee mug.

Puddlefish
09-16-2016, 12:28
I used the knife portion of my leatherman style CS once in 60 days on the trail. To open a big can of V8... yes, it was the wrong tool for the job, but it worked. When I get back on the trail, I'm just taking a pair of quality kids scissors.

OkeefenokeeJoe
09-16-2016, 14:57
First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife. When you need a good sharp blade, nothing else will do, even if you use it only once or twice (or none at all). Therefore, if I were you, I'd grab a Smith's Pocket Pal PP1 knife sharpener (which weighs next to nothing) and toss it in a pocket somewhere, and forget about it until such time as you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a good sharp knife and .... guess what? .... I always carry a concealed weapon. I constantly find uses for a knife, but have never needed (except for that one time in 1978) to draw my weapon, but both are there when the situation arises.

Kid's scissors?! I don't even know what to say about that. I guess you never know when you want to make something out of construction paper.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Puddlefish
09-16-2016, 15:15
First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife. When you need a good sharp blade, nothing else will do, even if you use it only once or twice (or none at all). Therefore, if I were you, I'd grab a Smith's Pocket Pal PP1 knife sharpener (which weighs next to nothing) and toss it in a pocket somewhere, and forget about it until such time as you need it.

As for me, I ALWAYS carry a good sharp knife and .... guess what? .... I always carry a concealed weapon. I constantly find uses for a knife, but have never needed (except for that one time in 1978) to draw my weapon, but both are there when the situation arises.

Kid's scissors?! I don't even know what to say about that. I guess you never know when you want to make something out of construction paper.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Did you fight many bears on the trail? Sharpen a lot of tent stakes? Rescue a lot of damsels in distress? Cower behind your shiny knife when you heard scary noises on the trail?

As I think about it, I used my knife a few times to slice summer sausage and cheese. I ended up buying a lot of pre-sliced pepperoni, since it was available everywhere, was that unmanly of me? Since I'm super concerned about how manly you think I am, I can just gnaw off portions with my teeth.

A knife is like any other tool, there's zero manliness involved in using the right tool for the job. Do you also have opinions on the comparative manliness of what socks I wear? Know what's manly? Making my own equipment decisions based on utility, and not on any of your misogynistic politicized ramblings.

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 16:02
Did you fight many bears on the trail? Sharpen a lot of tent stakes? Rescue a lot of damsels in distress? Cower behind your shiny knife when you heard scary noises on the trail?

As I think about it, I used my knife a few times to slice summer sausage and cheese. I ended up buying a lot of pre-sliced pepperoni, since it was available everywhere, was that unmanly of me? Since I'm super concerned about how manly you think I am, I can just gnaw off portions with my teeth.

A knife is like any other tool, there's zero manliness involved in using the right tool for the job. Do you also have opinions on the comparative manliness of what socks I wear? Know what's manly? Making my own equipment decisions based on utility, and not on any of your misogynistic politicized ramblings.

This forum really needs a "thanks" button.

Another Kevin
09-16-2016, 16:25
I have a Smiths Pocket Sharpener, but it doesn't match the set of the blade on either my full-sized Leatherman or my Leatherman Squirt, which are the only two knives I ever carry on a hike. (I'll bring something bigger when car camping, but then I can bring an oilstone as well.)

I find that when backpacking, I don't cut anything but the cheese. The Leatherman comes in handy because the pliers can grip hot things, the tiny screwdriver can repair my spectacles, and the scissors can cut gauze, or dental floss if I wind up needing to sew something, or even fingernails. I always bring at least the Squirt because my cookpot has no handle.

CalebJ
09-16-2016, 16:39

OkeefenokeeJoe
Do you ever look around and realize you got off the train at the wrong stop? This is the ultra light hikers forum.

Bronk
09-16-2016, 17:45
I used to carry a leatherman tool until I realized that its a rare day on the trail when I will need a pair of pliers or a screwdriver. I really don't use a knife all that much aside from cutting something I'm eating or occasionally some paracord. Your blade won't need sharpening that often. When it does, ask a hostel employee or owner if they happen to have a sharpener you can borrow. If not, buy one at a Walmart for $5 and then toss it in the hiker box when you leave.

Bronk
09-16-2016, 17:47
Oh, and by the way, the pliers on my leatherman recently started jamming up and I mailed it back to them...in less than a week they had sent me a brand new tool. 25 year warranty, and they honor it no questions asked.

Malto
09-16-2016, 20:15
I rarely use the blade on my tiny SAK. The little sissors, all the time. So zero need for sharpener, ounces add up.

Franco
09-16-2016, 20:19
I'm glad I'm not manly enough to need a gun just to go hiking...

Dogwood
09-16-2016, 21:13
On a long hike I go to a manly, preferably a fat Polish or German butcher, and have them sharpen my Swiss Army Knife, a pitiful little knife. They are usually the best at it and have never taken a dime from me for doing it. I don't ever say I'm a vegetarian not having eaten red meat in 25 yrs although I might say the veal chops look good. I've also gone to Barbershops, preferably with a manly but old skinny Navy or Army barber, with a picture of the ship or tank battalion they served on the wall with a sign saying haircuts $10 and that offer straight razor shaves. You're not a man if you haven't ever gotten a straight razor shave.

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 21:14
I'm glad I'm not manly enough to need a gun just to go hiking...

I often carry one, just not backpacking...too much weight. Oh, and I'm not a man!!! Lol

Maineiac64
09-16-2016, 21:54
A nice flat river rock can be used if really in a bind for a sharpener.

pickNgrin
09-16-2016, 21:55
I have a Lansky mini crock stick sharpener. It does a good job and weighs 0.8 oz. I always carry around a Schrade 12OT pen knife (whether hiking or not). Not sure the weight on that, but it is not much. You can do a lot with it if you keep it sharp. I use it almost every day for something.

If you are looking for a Schrade, get on ebay and get an old made in USA carbon steel one (says so on the blade). They are much better than the ones made overseas.

36245 36246

SWODaddy
09-16-2016, 21:58
I was looking through my gear and realized I have a knife sharpener. It's quite small, 35 grams. Thought about not taking it, but then, what do you all do to keep your cutting tool of choice sharp?

I would bet that 15min searching your campsite would find a better sharpener (rock) than your little one.

Huli
09-16-2016, 22:34
Lots of cool answers everyone, thanks! Much laughs too 😜.

My knife is mainly for eatling (I don't do freeze dried meals), medical, and the occasional need to make a fire stick. I do use it quite often.

I like the idea of running it over the dinnerware, never thought of that. Will give that a try.

As for the sharpener I do have, it's a benchmade pull through, definitely Good quality.

Sarcasm the elf
09-16-2016, 23:11
Lots of cool answers everyone, thanks! Much laughs too .

My knife is mainly for eatling (I don't do freeze dried meals), medical, and the occasional need to make a fire stick. I do use it quite often.

I like the idea of running it over the dinnerware, never thought of that. Will give that a try.

As for the sharpener I do have, it's a benchmade pull through, definitely Good quality.

For people who haven't heard of this before, it's not perfect but works well enough for quick sharpenings:

https://youtu.be/cFjaWnNg1kQ

brianb2
09-17-2016, 03:49
Oldie but a goodie

https://youtu.be/VKwpDJN5i20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
09-17-2016, 09:52
First of all, Huli, I admire the fact that you carry a knife on the trail .... it's what real men do. Oh, and real men also eat beef and pee on trees. Ignore the hoard of feminized, politically correct, hand-wringing, man-bun-wearing millennial males who shriek like 12-year old girls and run to their safe zones at the mere thought of anyone carrying a knife.

blah, blah, blah.....

Definitely sounds like compensation for something.... I'm guessing lack of, er, "size".

A sharp knife is much safer than a dull one, and more useful, but if it's a decent knife, one good sharpening should easily last a full thru hike. I carry a good sharp, 0.7 ounce knife for slicing food, etc. Again, what other uses does one have on the trail? cutting cord? a lighter works better, since you'd be sealing the ends with a lighter anyway, why not just "cut" using the lighter right off? Does anyone carry cords thick enough to need a knife?

I do carry a much more substantial blade when technical climbing, of course.

I see posts all the time saying "I use a knife often", but they never say what exactly for. I really am curious. I guess making the good old "fuzz sticks" (fire starters) is one use (I carry a trioxane fire starter block, works every time). And whittling, which is kind of fun sometimes.

Leo L.
09-17-2016, 12:54
I apply the dinnerware trick routinely on our kitchen knifes.
Although I've never had the need to sharpen my pocket knife during a hike, I would have liked to have a sharpener handy sometimes for to do a knife service to the local natives in the desert. They are just too careless about their knifes.

MtDoraDave
09-18-2016, 09:49
I carry the $2 Coleman knife from Walmart while hiking because I do sometimes use a knife while hiking, it is extremely light and sufficiently sharp.

The cord I use is Technora 950. About half the size of para cord, almost twice the strength - it doesn't burn with a lighter. I'm not sure it would even cut through itself using the friction method because it's teflon coated. Very cool stuff - so yes, I need a knife to cut it. Last time out, I cut several pieces of it to make pack hangers in a couple shelters that were crowded and didn't have enough places to hang packs.
Also have had trouble opening some food packages with cold, dry fingers - so I have used the knife for that as well.

Back to topic, I do not carry a sharpener. I carry enough unnecessary stuff - I don't see a need for a sharpener.

colorado_rob
09-18-2016, 10:16
I carry the $2 Coleman knife from Walmart while hiking because I do sometimes use a knife while hiking, it is extremely light and sufficiently sharp.

The cord I use is Technora 950. About half the size of para cord, almost twice the strength - it doesn't burn with a lighter. I'm not sure it would even cut through itself using the friction method because it's teflon coated. Very cool stuff - so yes, I need a knife to cut it. Last time out, I cut several pieces of it to make pack hangers in a couple shelters that were crowded and didn't have enough places to hang packs.
Also have had trouble opening some food packages with cold, dry fingers - so I have used the knife for that as well.

Back to topic, I do not carry a sharpener. I carry enough unnecessary stuff - I don't see a need for a sharpener.Part of my point below: IMHO, all one needs on a trail is a very light little blade for cutting the more substantial cords like yours, and slicing food, and you do carry this kind of knife, apparently. I'm not promoting no knife, just the lack of need for big/huge knives, like so many on here talk about carrying. Are they skinning animals or fish? then sure, a bigger knife is needed.

Playing mumbley-peg? Here's a link to how REALLY to be a man:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/06/07/mumbley-peg/

Bronk
09-18-2016, 21:02
For people who haven't heard of this before, it's not perfect but works well enough for quick sharpenings:

https://youtu.be/cFjaWnNg1kQI shared this video with a friend and he said you can also do this on the top edge of a car window.

pickNgrin
09-19-2016, 12:18
I'm not promoting no knife, just the lack of need for big/huge knives, like so many on here talk about carrying. Are they skinning animals or fish? then sure, a bigger knife is needed.

I agree with your main message. Even a pocket knife like the one I showed earlier is plenty capable of cleaning fish (trout, panfish, frogs, etc) and dressing small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc). I have used mine as such many times.

bob7
09-20-2016, 11:07
DMT Diamond DiaSharp Portable credit card sharpener. I use the fine grit for maintenance.

https://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/pocket-models/dia-sharp/

Sarcasm the elf
09-20-2016, 11:27
I shared this video with a friend and he said you can also do this on the top edge of a car window.

I have heard that as well, but I'm not sure I'm willing to try it on my own car.

SWODaddy
09-20-2016, 12:59

I do this all the time when we visit my in-laws and I have to cut something with her dull-as-hell knives. Works great for a quick clean up.

Huli
10-05-2016, 20:46
I do this all the time when we visit my in-laws and I have to cut something with her dull-as-hell knives. Works great for a quick clean up.
I like it!
I like it even more because it is yet another excuse to sit and have coffee in town! [emoji477]

stilllife
10-05-2016, 22:24

OkeefenokeeJoe

My favorite post of all time!

kayak karl
10-06-2016, 01:05
i don't carry a knife. no need for sharpen. i carry a razor blade.

Engine
10-06-2016, 06:47
A nice flat river rock can be used if really in a bind for a sharpener.

+1 If you feel the surface of most river rock it's very similar to that of a whetstone, and when you're done the stone can go back in the river. I carry a Gerber LST which can be sharpened fairly quickly with just such a rock.

garlic08
10-06-2016, 07:34
i don't carry a knife. no need for sharpen. i carry a razor blade.

What the hell, two razor blades for me. The thread is about sharpening, and what easier way to sharpen than to pull out a new blade?

I missed this thread when it opened because I was up in Canada hiking. That's relevant because on my return flight I was able to carry my pack on board, since I threw away my (unused) "nickle knife" at the airport. Saved $25 and some time not checking the bag.

Huli
10-06-2016, 22:24
I think it's interesting how each person thinks differently what a "knife" is. I posted this originally because I carry a small Swiss army knife and use it for all things from eating to grooming to first aid. I was looking to maintain the integrity of its uses as best as possible. This is my bad ass knife:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161007/1497b1e0cac7b93f0076f7052cb7a120.jpg

dog812
10-07-2016, 01:06
I am a hunter so I need a knife.
You guys should check out the outdoor edge razor pro or their other replaceable blade knives.
Always have a sharp blade, and the replacements weigh nothing.
https://www.outdooredge.com/products/razor-pro?variant=16399691715