PDA

View Full Version : SORUCK '06 Weather Report

MOWGLI
01-11-2006, 13:45
According to Weather.com (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/weekend.html?locid=USNC0081&from=search), Bryson City is expecting a low of 21 on Saturday and a high of 44 with NW winds at 22 MPH and possible snow showers. :jump

Anybody planning on attending the SORUCK and hiking Saturday morning might want to carefully consider their attire. Wesser Bald is at 4627' which is considerably higher than Bryson City. The morning hike is also scheduled to depart 12 minutes before sunrise.

In other words.... Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :banana

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 13:48
I'm coming. I'm gonna lead the blue-blaze hike down the Wesser Creek Trail (old AT route).:)

timhines
01-11-2006, 14:46
I'm 50/50 on this. Depends on the weather. IF we get wet cold rain (which I expect) you can count me O U T

Almost There
01-11-2006, 16:18
I'm sort of the same opinion, I may just hang around the NOC and be annoying....btw what are the rules in regards to beverages?

Marta
01-11-2006, 16:22
Looks as if there's going to be plenty going on indoors, too. A lot of good DVDs on the schedule for Saturday morning. Figuring out which thing to do is going to be tough.

MOWGLI
01-11-2006, 16:26
I'm sort of the same opinion, I may just hang around the NOC and be annoying....btw what are the rules in regards to beverages?

Consult the SORUCK website for exact details. It is permitted in certain areas as long as its done responsibly.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 16:53
Alcohol is allowed in the communal area but cannot be left in the refridgerators in case minors are around. This is NOC policy.

Sly
01-11-2006, 18:00
I think NOC asks no adult beverages in the communal buildings. We'll see if the sign's still there when we get there. As far as I'm concerned, just be cool and everything will be fine.

Hey, I had a double bed open up in a room in cabin D. "The quiet cabin" The couple can't make it and the room is shared with a single in the loft. If anyone wants it, let me know asap.

$64 for Friday and Saturday. First come, 1st serve.

Sly
01-11-2006, 18:05
Speaking of weather, I think we've had two record high days in a row. Don't put all your faith in the forecast.

Expect awesome weather, just be prepared for blustery conditions!

MOWGLI
01-11-2006, 18:32
Expect awesome weather, just be prepared for blustery conditions!

To this Damn Yankee, awesme weather is snow and blustery conditions. :banana

If anyone wants to borrow a pair of treking poles to see what it's like to hike with 'em, drop me a PM no later than Thursday and I'll bring along a pair or two.

Sly
01-11-2006, 18:41
Yeah I know, most of my most memorable times on the trail have been in storms and/or high winds!

Nean
01-11-2006, 21:59
I'm coming. I'm gonna lead the blue-blaze hike down the Wesser Creek Trail (old AT route).:)

Thanks again for telling us about that trail in 02 LW, ramps everywhere, dozens of little waterfalls and the cabins were sweet.... and!, I made record time on that road walk into Wesser!:D :rolleyes: :D

Smile
01-11-2006, 22:01
Mmmmmmm, ramps. Sounds like a great time!

timhines
01-11-2006, 22:53
i was hoping to get a pair of trekking poles this weekend (if people are selling gear). I've never used any.

I should try to do one of those hikes. Wife and kids will be out of town, i hope i don't get lazy and sleep all day!

Almost There
01-11-2006, 23:05
Sly, Let me know if that room in the cabin is still open, right now I have reservations in the communal area, but would rather be in the cabin if possible.

Sly
01-11-2006, 23:17
Sly, Let me know if that room in the cabin is still open, right now I have reservations in the communal area, but would rather be in the cabin if possible.

Sorry AT, but the room has been taken. If another opens up I'll let you know.

timhines
01-11-2006, 23:20
AlmostTHere, check with the NOC office when you get there. I'm sure there will be a cancel and you can get in.

Sly
01-11-2006, 23:42
AlmostTHere, check with the NOC office when you get there. I'm sure there will be a cancel and you can get in.

He already has a place to stay through the NOC office.

The rooms I'm talking about are part of 40 spots in cabins C and D not even mentioned on the SoRuck website which were pre-paid for by myself and another. All those rooms were grabbed up months ago and paid for in turn. A few folks have had to cancel, so I'm just trying to fill the vacancies and re-coup their money.

timhines
01-11-2006, 23:54
hehe, i'm familiar with the NOC. My Grandmother started working there the year they opened. I grew up there!

I'm sure they are "sold out," but the early bird that checks in with the office will most likely get a room in a cabin instead of a "bunkhouse."

tiamalle
01-11-2006, 23:55
Mmmmmmm, ramps. Sounds like a great time!ramp diggen will be startin around here about mid March:D

timhines
01-11-2006, 23:57
tia, have you ever gone to the "Ramps & Rainbows" festival in Cherokee? If you like fish and ramps then you would fit right in. THey have bluegrass bands play on an open air stage while you can get food and watch. They also have horseshoe and volleyball tournaments through the day. Good times.

Sly
01-12-2006, 00:44
hehe, i'm familiar with the NOC. My Grandmother started working there the year they opened. I grew up there!

I'm sure they are "sold out," but the early bird that checks in with the office will most likely get a room in a cabin instead of a "bunkhouse."

Yeah ok, but it wont be in cabin C or D unless they go through me. :p

general
01-12-2006, 01:41
i was hoping to get a pair of trekking poles this weekend (if people are selling gear). I've never used any.

I should try to do one of those hikes. Wife and kids will be out of town, i hope i don't get lazy and sleep all day!

i have a used pair of komperdell's if you want to try them out on one of those hikes. if you like em, we can work something out.

Sly
01-12-2006, 01:53
Hey, here's a list of the ones I know are coming and have made name tags for...

Sly
Cheryl
Dawg
HotDog
Waterfall
Sheltowee
Kinnickinic
Tagalong
Ox
Mainframe
No Chance
Scrunchy
Sleepy
Clyde
eArThworm
Sunny
Tin Man
Mrs. Tin Man
Liteshoe
Dr Feek
Swallowtail and guest
Spur
Ready
Marsha
Shelly
OB
Ellen
Lexie
Gracie
MadDuck
Stormy
Greenbrier
Trailtalker and guest
Smile
Weathercarrot
Sloetoe
Bug
Mr. Magic
The Wookie
Island Mama
Debbie
Stillness
Miss Janet
Jeff Hunter
Pittsburgh
Barb
Rockdancer
Frosty
Spirit Walker
Bald Eagle
Black Wolfe
Rogene
Matt
Not To Worry
POG
One Leg
Chaia
Sparrow
Bill Murphy
Bayou
Bearbait
Dick Evans
Reverse
general
Turtle
Redbeard
Cutty
Moose '97
Megan
Moonbeam
Hutch
Blue Gill
Cool Change
Pavolov's Dog
Martha
Marta
DaleAmerica
Smokestack
Happy Feet
Suzy Miles
Craig Miles
Ron Haven
The Soulmate
First Pilgrim
Subman
Chief
OJ
David A.
Youngblood
Swiss
Radio
Krazy Katie
Mother Nature
Circuit Rider
Rubberbandman
Ron Moak
L. Wolf
Gypsy
Almost There

anyone else?

Nean
01-12-2006, 04:04
Can I get one Sly? Surprise me :) as long as it doesn't say ass****:) I can't get there til Sat but it sure sounds like fun. Thank you for all your time and effort! I know lots of folks contribute and it's a wonderful thang.

Almost There
01-12-2006, 09:43
Thanks for the info, if I get there before the office closes I will ask, but I have to stay at work until around noon, then it's 3 hours from ATL.

timhines
01-12-2006, 09:52
AlmostThere, which route do you take to get to the NOC? You don't take 441 do you?

EDIT:
Watched local weather last night. Thursday is supposed to see a high in the upper 60s! Then the cold air starts coming. Shouldn't get out of the high 30s on Saturday.

I hope they are wrong!

orangebug
01-12-2006, 10:46
AT, and prolly me & company, will take I-575 up to Blue Ridge and head up toward Murphy and US 74.

Currently, I do not expect to hit the road before 5PM. With traffic, this is easily a 4-5 hour trip.

Red Hat
01-12-2006, 13:04
Why is it that I never can seem to make these?!? My daughter turns 30 on Sunday and I am still trying to live down the fact that I missed my granddaughter's 1st birthday while hiking last spring... so I won't be there. But my heart is on the AT and I'll see you on the trail this spring!

Smile
01-12-2006, 16:04
Sly, have you left yet?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2006, 09:52
We're off to the Ruck! Looks like later this afternoon and tonite will be s**tty weather wise.

tiamalle
01-13-2006, 17:53
We're off to the Ruck! Looks like later this afternoon and tonite will be s**tty weather wise.As of 4:30 weather advisery
in Franklin.#40 miles south south of the NOC is Snow 6 inches.I don't want to scare no one.Folks coming to the Ruck you know weather fore cast is
wrong lots of times.Here most of the time.In case some one is stranded
call me,I have a 4 wheel drive and I will do all I can to help you and don't
grab your heart with one hand and your wallet with the other.I will help
you.Also if the snow don't cover us up I will be there early in the morning to help with the shuttle.Need us 828-524-4403 This goes for you 2 LW:D

Tha Wookie
01-13-2006, 17:56
I'll be there tomorrow if my truck can make it through any snow!:sun

Big Oz
01-13-2006, 18:25
tia, have you ever gone to the "Ramps & Rainbows" festival in Cherokee? If you like fish and ramps then you would fit right in. THey have bluegrass bands play on an open air stage while you can get food and watch. They also have horseshoe and volleyball tournaments through the day. Good times.No But I'D like to when is it?

tiamalle
01-13-2006, 18:44
No But I'D like to when is it?Yea,Me to I like'm also

timhines
01-13-2006, 19:49
Opening day (weekend) of fishing season in Cherokee. I dont' know the date right off. When I find out I'll try to post.

Interesting weather reports for this weekend. I expect a really cold rain. But I'll wish for everyone's safety otherwise.

orangebug
01-15-2006, 23:32
We only got a bare dusting of snow at NOC. I understand that it was impossible to get a shuttle up to Tellicoe Gap for a Saturday AM walk back down to NOC.

While it was a bit damp cold and wet, it was great fun for all.

dixicritter
01-15-2006, 23:44
Wish now we hadn't let the weather scare us off. Maybe next time.

smokymtnsteve
01-16-2006, 00:15
we only got a small dusting of snow here in Two rivers..

but we did have temps down to -24 this weekend :banana

MOWGLI
01-16-2006, 09:01
We only got a bare dusting of snow at NOC. I understand that it was impossible to get a shuttle up to Tellicoe Gap for a Saturday AM walk back down to NOC.

While it was a bit damp cold and wet, it was great fun for all.

Yes, it was great fun, and good to see some many familiar faces and a few new ones too. Thanks for the pancakes OB.

There was 3-4" of snow along the trail about 4 miles north of NOC. It was great to hike in the white stuff. Going home I drove the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN. It was a giant sheet of snow & ice for perhaps 25 miles. There was upwards of 8" of snow above 5000'. Very beautiful! I was the only non-4WD on the road (that I saw). Good thing I haven't lost those northern driving skills.