PDA

View Full Version : Quilt pad straps take or leave??

saltysack
09-16-2016, 15:53
Just got my new EE Enigma 20* quilt. I've never used quilt pad straps before as my other quilt a 45* summer quilt so not really needed. Curious as to other thoughts as I'll be headed out to Colorado Sunday. It will be used on an xtherm pad. Weather forecast the lows in upper 20's...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 15:56
Definitely use them. I wish my EE Convert had them...I see the new version does...there were a couple of nights recently I would have like to have pulled the bag/quilt around/under the pad and be able to secure it.

saltysack
09-16-2016, 16:26
Forgot to add it's a long/wide and I'm a stomach sleeper....5'11" 212lbs

DuneElliot
09-16-2016, 16:33
Me too. I actually toss and turn a lot when camping...I need a larger pad. I assume they are removable. If you don't like them, ship them home when you get to town.

misprof
09-16-2016, 16:33
You failed to mention if you are in a tent, bivi, or under a tarp. If the first two it is your call but if the third I would as your quilt is so light that you the breeze will blow it around and you will end up get drafts.

Just Bill
09-16-2016, 16:37
Forgot to add it's a long/wide and I'm a stomach sleeper....5'11" 212lbs

I don't use them- even with my SUL sized quilts. With the bigger ones- you can tuck in if needed. If you are really pushing the limits or getting drafts... I use 1/16" shock cord as a SUL version. You can just tie them onto the EE quilt tabs and meet them in the middle with a mitten hook.

Just Bill
09-16-2016, 16:38
You failed to mention if you are in a tent, bivi, or under a tarp. If the first two it is your call but if the third I would as your quilt is so light that you the breeze will blow it around and you will end up get drafts.
You probably have a crappy quilt.

Miner
09-16-2016, 16:46
I've never used them on my 20F and 40F quilts. Been using quilts since 2008. I've trained myself to retuck the edge when I flip over to my other side when half asleep.

Hosh
09-16-2016, 16:51
Since you're a cold sleeper, I would definitely bring them. The extra weight is small and you will run in to chilly/cold nights. Colorado weather is very unpredictable, can change in an instance (especially at altitude) and can have temperatures swings of 40 to 50 degrees. The mountains create their own micro climates and within a short geographical distance, wind and temperatures conditions can be very different so forecast are even more unreliable than normal.

Cheyou
09-16-2016, 17:31
I do use mine if cold. Sometimes I clip only one side . I use a short xtherm. They don't weigh a ton.

Thom

saltysack
09-16-2016, 19:00
In a tent....solong6

Cheyou
09-17-2016, 07:18
I'm just I little jealous. Waiting on EE quilt 30°. Same model as yours. Thought it might be this week. My other quilt if I unzip the foot it ends up outside the tarp and damp with dew . Hoping to use the 2 for winter camping. How do like yours ?

Thom

MuddyWaters
09-17-2016, 07:23
Never
Not needed, just tuckunder you
Most people today get ridiculously wide quilts, 55" or more
Unless you are ...large...plenty of room to tuck a little

saltysack
09-17-2016, 07:56
I'm just I little jealous. Waiting on EE quilt 30°. Same model as yours. Thought it might be this week. My other quilt if I unzip the foot it ends up outside the tarp and damp with dew . Hoping to use the 2 for winter camping. How do like yours ?

Thom

Just got it yesterday...maiden voyage is the collegiate loop starting Monday.

saltysack
09-17-2016, 07:59
Never
Not needed, just tuckunder you
Most people today get ridiculously wide quilts, 55" or more
Unless you are ...large...plenty of room to tuck a little

I'm going to try out today. It just arrived yesterday and It's 85*here so don't think I could stay under it more than minute so will see.

Hosh
09-17-2016, 10:31
If you are a rotisserie sleeper, the straps will help prevent the quilt from opening up causing drafts. If you stay on your stomach all night maybe not as useful. The elastic provides a positive tension and makes "tucking" adjustments less necessary. You can also use them to snug the quilt down, reducing air space and improving your insulation.

I am a rotisserie sleeper and find them useful in shoulder seasons, not so much during the middle of summer.

saltysack
09-17-2016, 11:02
If you are a rotisserie sleeper, the straps will help prevent the quilt from opening up causing drafts. If you stay on your stomach all night maybe not as useful. The elastic provides a positive tension and makes "tucking" adjustments less necessary. You can also use them to snug the quilt down, reducing air space and improving your insulation.

I am a rotisserie sleeper and find them useful in shoulder seasons, not so much during the middle of summer.

Yea I classify as a rotisserie sleeper...great analogy!![emoji38][emoji490]

Hikingjim
09-17-2016, 11:22
I found through experiment that I don't need them at all.
Sounds like you might... so I'd bring them

Hosh
09-17-2016, 12:47
I am not familiar with the Solong 6, but my TT's had mesh a short distance above the bathtub floor. This allows wind to penetrate at a low level and will make gaps in the quilt/mattress more noticeable.

And since your gaining experience with a lower temperature quilt, best to overkill and dial back on the next trip. I haven't weighted the straps separately, but they probably weight less than a Clif bar.

Good luck, happy trekking, just came down from the high country and the Aspens are glowing and the Elk are restless.

Cheyou
09-17-2016, 13:00
Just got it yesterday...maiden voyage is the collegiate loop starting Monday.

Good of luck and have a great time.

Thom

colorado_rob
09-17-2016, 13:10

I am a rotisserie sleeper and find them useful in shoulder seasons, not so much during the middle of summer.Exactly this. I use my Katabatic gear quilt cords (might be different though than EE quilt straps) about half the time, basically when it's cold enough that I want to prevent the drafts, which is inevitable (the drafts) without the straps.