PDA

View Full Version : Trail of Tears

Captain Bluebird
09-17-2016, 10:44
Just saw a banner running on the local news that the US Forest Service is apologizing for ripping up parts of the Trail of Tears on the AT. I have searched White blaze but can not find and discussions regarding this. Can anyone shed some light on this new or direct me to the Forum?

FatMan
09-17-2016, 10:51
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/sep/17/us-forest-service-admits-damaging-recently-pr/387098/

Traveler
09-18-2016, 07:46
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/sep/17/us-forest-service-admits-damaging-recently-pr/387098/

Thanks for the link. It appears the NFS was trying to discourage ATVs from using the trail. It seems once these vehicles start using a trail system, the numbers quickly grow unless something is done. Having faced this problem before, there are only a few options to keep those intent on creating rutted mud pits out of foot trails from doing so.

Berms are the quickest to use if terrain on either side of them and the far side "drop" will prevent ATVs from going around or over them. Gates can sometimes work, but typically are pulled down with the same ATVs they are intended to keep out. Large rocks placed so people can get by can be used, though again, ATVs can be used to move the rocks. Narrow slit trenches about 4' wide or so to trap ATVs can be effective if they are located where is no way around them, using a log bridge to spanning the slit trench for hikers.

I guess my question is, if there are mechanicals on the Trail of Tears that are damaging the path, what is the best way to keep those uninterested in protected area prohibitions out of the protected are?

tour-kid
09-18-2016, 08:40
Post up signs and enforce the laws.
A couple uniformed troopers on a busy Saturday writing tickets would put an end to it.
Getting them to come out is another challenge.
We have had to deal with this a ton on my dads land in upstate NY.

Traveler
09-18-2016, 12:28
Post up signs and enforce the laws.
A couple uniformed troopers on a busy Saturday writing tickets would put an end to it.
Getting them to come out is another challenge.
We have had to deal with this a ton on my dads land in upstate NY.

Agreed, however, the ATV crowd are difficult to nab in process of ripping up trails. In our experience in ME we had to employ some serious barricades because the local LE group does not have the labor horsepower to enforce laws of that nature. If the uniforms eventually stop, the ATVs will return fairly quickly, as a lot of trail maintainers can attest. Its a nasty problem with the ATV crowd.

egilbe
09-18-2016, 12:33
The local ATV clubs do try to educate when they can, but I think allot of the damage is done by teenagers. Eventually they grow up and stop doing stupid stuff, but a group of friends on ATV can do much damage in a few hours.

Captain Bluebird
09-18-2016, 15:04
Thanks for the link. I live in the Cincinnati news market and rarely see any news regarding the AT. So, I was taken back to see the news banner. I agree. If you see an ATV on a prohibitive trail, report it as soon as possible. Pictures would do wonders for local law enforcement.