PDA

View Full Version : Electricity in the Smokies

Turk6177
09-17-2016, 15:21
Are there any places that have plugs where I can charge my camera batteries and phone in the Smokies, like at either Newfound Gap or Clingman's dome? I am bringing an Ankor external battery, but I am not sure if that will be enough juice if I take a lot of video. I have a solar charger but would rather not carry the weight, and am not even sure if it would have enough trickle juice to do much.

If you want to lecture me about leaving my electronics at home, read my question. I wasn't asking for opinions about whether or not I should carry my phone and you can save the snarky remarks about the shelters having plugs. (that is called a preemptive troll strike! lol)

soumodeler
09-17-2016, 15:55
No plugs at Newfound Gap, I don't remember any at Clingman's Dome tower. Could be some at the gift shop down at the parking lot but I have never been there.

Are you planning on resupplying or staying overnight in Gatlinburg? You could charge up in town.

tflaris
09-17-2016, 16:06
None that I remember. Just finished that Section 2 weeks ago.

I used this :

https://www.anker.com/products/A1371012

Weights a ton but never ran out of juice for my electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
09-17-2016, 16:42
I bought an overpriced chocolate bar at the gift shop, I don't recall if they had a public outlet they'd be willing to let you use. Could call them I suppose.

https://www.smokiesinformation.org/info/visitor-centers-and-stores

TNhiker
09-17-2016, 17:25
You could get creative----make friends with someone in an RV at the dome.....get them to fire up the generator...

charge phone......then get them to give ya a ride to town for resupply....

Dogwood
09-17-2016, 17:42
I don't know of any outlets the NPS makes available for charging of anything from non NPS personnel at those locations. Might need to carry that solar charger or another external charger and/or pare down the amount of video shot. I have one of these if need be but I'm not shooting much video. https://www.anker.com/products/A11040B1

Now at Visitor's Centers, CG's, and at some Backcountry Ranger Locations you might(will!) find outlets. Rangers may allow you to discretely charge something given a damn good reason. My thought is saying you want to take more video/pics isn't a good reason.

MuddyWaters
09-17-2016, 20:03
The clingmans dome store is a possibility.
Or a car at newfound gap
Id say bring extra batt
You realize your hiking in trees and not that much to see, right? There's like less than a dozen decent views in AT, dont know what you plan to film but it's not scenery. Yourself?

johnacraft
09-21-2016, 09:43
Could be some at the gift shop down at the parking lot but I have never been there.

The Clingmans Dome gift shop was closed for renovations when we were there last month.

Lynnette
09-21-2016, 12:53
Hi, in the early spring, hiking on the AT north, a very nice person charged my phone at the Fontana hotel and again at the visitors center right by the dam. and also at Clingmans office/shop when they first opened in the morning. Wasn't looking at Newfound Gap.Depending on which trail you are walking along, you can drop down to any of the developed campgrounds like Cades Cove, Elkmont. I think Mt Le Conte is supposed to be an environmental center and electricity free. but you can call them. Keep your devices warm and it should help. I slept with mine.