PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike Prep

goldielocks
09-18-2016, 23:16
How much backpacking experience do you have? And how are you preparing for your thru-hike?

CoolBobby
09-18-2016, 23:21
3 wars, and unknown miles... Hiking every couple of weeks on long weekends for 20 to 50 miles at a go. Mostly Florida flat hikes, but I did make it home to Maine this summer. Had a nice rugged 27 mile trek on the back 40. Getting back into "shape" is in progress too. 6'3" and 215, and trying to get down to 200. Lots of legs and lifting, no cardio other then what I get on the weekend hikes, and at work.

How about you?

jjozgrunt
09-19-2016, 00:40
No experience, and preparing by drinking lots of beer and eating fatty food so I can put on some weight to lose once I start walking. :sun

Just joking though I have seen people recommend you gain weight in preparation for the walk.

Walked all my life, lots of day and through walks as I lead walks for a club. I want to drop some weight so I don't have to carry it up hills. Concentrating on core and legs in training. Walk about 60km a week with a pack
(38 miles).

Uriah
09-19-2016, 10:22
No experience, and preparing by drinking lots of beer and eating fatty food so I can put on some weight to lose once I start walking. Just joking though I have seen people recommend you gain weight in preparation for the walk.

I see that advice here often, terrible though it is.

1) A lighter body incurs less stress.

Most thru-hike attempts are just that, and most wannabe thru-hikers quit early, when they're at their least fittest and when they're mentally unprepared/weak. Even though it isn't forced upon us, the trail ain't no cake-walk; why make it any harder on yourself? You don't see many fat thru-hikers when they're at their fittest, and you can eat plenty en route, regardless of how fast or slow or hard you go. The AT ain't limited on towns or resupply. And trust me, refueling is half the fun, because everything is fair game once your metabolism has kicked into high gear.

2) A lighter body in theory allows you to carry a few more pounds on your back. This could be in the form of a more insulated sleeping bag, or a pillow, or an inflatable mattress, enabling the hiker a better chance at sleep and recovery during those hard (and cold) first few weeks.

3) Being heavier than necessary forces us to work harder, and it increases our injury risk. Again: no matter how easy you try to make it, the AT ain't easy. Sure, it is a CHOICE to do it, but that doesn't make it easy. As such, one is obliged to at least attempt to make it less difficult. Human nature, in our endless quest for comfort! It's comfortable being fit.

Martzy
09-19-2016, 10:47
I'm still in school, so I rock the weekend warrior mentality. I've been taking weekend hikes between 25-30 miles for 1 or 2 night trips. Hilly hikes, but this is Kentucky, where we lack mountains. Mostly focusing on fiddling with my gear, I'm already in decent shape having played college football for my first few years, so I'm just keeping my butt of the couch! March can't get here soon enough

Keep it going, who's next???

wtrenda
09-20-2016, 09:27
I'm in the "losing weight" before the hike group. I'm about 6' 210 but I've been walking about 5 miles everyday with a 30 mile trip once a month. I live 30 minutes from the smokies so I grew up backpacking but never anything more than a week... I'm trying to get mentally prepared for this as a lot of 4-5 day trips in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine
09-20-2016, 10:07
I just retired and the last year of my career was spent mostly behind a desk, so I grew a bit around the middle. Currently, 6' and 205, with the intent to start the approach trail at 180-ish. I've registered for a trail ultra marathon in February and I'm running the hilliest trails I can find (Florida) as well as hitting the gym a bit.

DuneElliot
09-20-2016, 11:10

Most thru-hike attempts are just that, and most wannabe thru-hikers quit early, when they're at their least fittest and when they're mentally unprepared/weak. Even though it isn't forced upon us, the trail ain't no cake-walk; why make it any harder on yourself? You don't see many fat thru-hikers when they're at their fittest, and you can eat plenty en route, regardless of how fast or slow or hard you go. The AT ain't limited on towns or resupply. And trust me, refueling is half the fun, because everything is fair game once your metabolism has kicked into high gear.

2) A lighter body in theory allows you to carry a few more pounds on your back. This could be in the form of a more insulated sleeping bag, or a pillow, or an inflatable mattress, enabling the hiker a better chance at sleep and recovery during those hard (and cold) first few weeks.

3) Being heavier than necessary forces us to work harder, and it increases our injury risk. Again: no matter how easy you try to make it, the AT ain't easy. Sure, it is a CHOICE to do it, but that doesn't make it easy. As such, one is obliged to at least attempt to make it less difficult. Human nature, in our endless quest for comfort! It's comfortable being fit.

I agree to a point, but there are some of us who are pretty dang skinny (5'5" and 110lbs) that would benefit from having a few more pounds on us before the start of a long hike. It's not about being "fat" before you start for some people, it's about knowing how much weight you will lose while hiking 15+ miles a day and trying to pre-empt that loss. I don't have much, if any, weight to lose safely so in preparation for a thru-hike or long section hike I probably would attempt to at least get my weight up to 120lbs.

Engine
09-20-2016, 13:25
I agree to a point, but there are some of us who are pretty dang skinny (5'5" and 110lbs) that would benefit from having a few more pounds on us before the start of a long hike. It's not about being "fat" before you start for some people, it's about knowing how much weight you will lose while hiking 15+ miles a day and trying to pre-empt that loss. I don't have much, if any, weight to lose safely so in preparation for a thru-hike or long section hike I probably would attempt to at least get my weight up to 120lbs.

Well said. I am shooting for a bodyweight of 180-ish at the start, because a few years back when I was running competitively I got as low as 163, and that was TOO LEAN. I figure if I start out 15-18 pounds more than that, it will give me a buffer in case I cannot eat enough pizza and drink enough beer while we're in town. :D

Dogwood
09-20-2016, 19:59
Despite the endless chatter about gear and physical fitness, which surely both factor into preparing for thru-hikes, prepare yourself by getting emotionally and mentally strong knowing that this is a necessary key ingredient to successful happy completion for a thru.

Get out in the rain, snow, heat, etc setting up, sleeping in, and packing up your anticipated AT shelter, wearing your anticipated AT clothing/shoes/etc , cooking with your stove, eating and preparing foods you will be buying in stores along the way(trail food becomes your home food), walking to the grocery store/work/etc in inclement weather, shopping for your groceries and hauling them home hopefully up stairs, through the woods, through mud puddles, snow and slush. Get uncomfortable. Re-establish new levels of comfortability by adapting mentally and emotionally. It will only be a start to what you will experience with LD on trail life.

Wean yourself from the many hrs of constant motor vehicle travel, sitting in front of or using a computer, cooking in your kitchen at home..Make your off trail home exceptionally cold in winter and hot in summer. AC off. High heat off.

http://blueridgehikingco.com/training-brain-appalachian-trail/

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/how-do-i-train-for-a-thru-hike/

Consider Warren Doyle's AT thru-hiker class

http://www.warrendoyle.com/

Consider Zach Thomas' Appalachian Trials A Psychological And Emotional Guide To Successfully Thru Hiking The Trail Kindle Edition Zach Davis

pmrs88
09-26-2016, 14:08
I just thru-hiked this year and I had ZERO backpacking experience until a week before heading off. I hiked 40 miles over 3 days as a pactice hike a week before leaving and that was the longest stretch of consecutive hiking days I'd ever done in my life. I was pretty slim to start off with and considered myself reasonably fit but I wouldn't say I had been exercising all that much before my hike.

tl;dr - If you're in reasonably good condition already then you can get away without doing any major training. The first couple of weeks will prepare you better for the rest of the trail than any amount of pre-hike training will.

Having said that, any training you CAN do before hiking will simply be a bonus. And if you have some extra weight to lose then you might want to try getting rid of it beforehand but again, the trail will soon strip it from you anyway.

10-K
09-27-2016, 08:34
Hiking all day, every day for months can be mind-numbing boring. The body adapts automatically, the brain - not so much - and that's the weak link in the chain.

With that in mind, try walking on a treadmill, 3 hours at a time, for 14 days in a row and see how that feels.

gracebowen
09-27-2016, 10:42
I dont think hiking is boring at all. I truly enjoy it. What animals will I see today? What scenery will I see that I havent seen before? What flowers? Will I see any bent trees? What people will I see?
Just walking on the other hand is quite boring to me.

I dont hike much for various reasons and I dont consider myself in shape. However, when I go for a hike I can easily put in 3 miles with a 5lb pack to start. Snacks and water.

Im not overly worried about getting in shape for my hike. If I get to go I will get in shape on the trail. Ill start slow and go from there. I figure if I can hike 3 mi even though I havent hiked in months I can start out with 6 mile days and work up from there.

At least on a thru hike after my hike I wont have to run errands, do laundry and shopping for 4 people, cook for 4 etc every day.
I can most days just rest.

KDogg
09-27-2016, 13:13
I didn't do much physical prep before my thru. Did some day hiking every few weekends and had only done two overnight backpacking trips. I started out slow doing eight to ten mile days and kept that up for a few weeks. You will want to go out strong but you you will be doing yourself a big favor by taking it slow for a while. Even if you train very hard beforehand your body will be shocked by 10-12 hour physical days...every day. Doing a thru-hike is a much different beast than doing a long weekend of 50 miles.

I agree that the mental part of this is the toughest. Many folks I talked to and hiked with towards the end were not having a lot of fun keeping up the miles. My body was breaking down especially during the last month. Everybody was starving through the 100 mile wilderness. It got really hard to wake up everyday and keep going.

You don't have to "run errands" after a day of hiking but you do have to get your tent up, clean yourself up, hang your clothes, get water, cook dinner and clean that up, hang your bear bag, take care of your feet and the reverse in the morning. We also found that "zeroes" weren't very relaxing most times. We never could sleep in (trust me, your stomach will wake you!) and had to go shopping, to the post office, to the laundry mat and to the library.

Make sure you spend a lot of time choosing gear. If you get this wrong you will have to buy stuff on the trail which can cost tons. Hopefully you live somewhere that has lots of shopping that will allow you to try things out before you buy.

dudeijuststarted
09-27-2016, 13:34
How much backpacking experience do you have? And how are you preparing for your thru-hike?

you don't need any experience, but I'd highly recommend some mountain overnight backpacking to see if you like it (even 1-2 days of strenuous terrain.) I don't know if there are statistics on this, but I've set out from amicalola/springer multiple times and have seen people quit their thru hikes before they got to the first night's shelter. that could mean thousands of dollars and a lot of explaining to do for some. never a pretty sight. I think inherently enjoying backpacking has a lot to with whether you're willing to stay out there for 5-7 months.

10-K
09-27-2016, 13:52
I dont think hiking is boring at all. I truly enjoy it..

Have you hiked 12-20 mpd, every day with the exception of a few zeros - for several months in a row?

That's what we're talking about doing here....

Hiking is exciting (for me) too - but there are long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of euphoria - enough to keep me moving - but definitely it takes the ability to deal with boredom to master a multimonth hike.

goldielocks
09-27-2016, 21:55
Make sure you spend a lot of time choosing gear. If you get this wrong you will have to buy stuff on the trail which can cost tons. Hopefully you live somewhere that has lots of shopping that will allow you to try things out before you buy.

What kind of gear did you prefer? Specifically: water filtration, sleeping pad, and Sleeping bag (Down or Synthetic) Did you go to an REI to get fitted for a pack?
I've been considering the : Big Agnes Flycreek ul2 tent & Sawyer Squeeze or Platypus Gravity Filter. I thought I would buy one of those accordion style sleeping pads to give them a try on a weekend trip to see if I like it. If not, I'll pay the extra $$ and get a nice inflatable one.

DuneElliot
09-28-2016, 08:54
What kind of gear did you prefer? Specifically: water filtration, sleeping pad, and Sleeping bag (Down or Synthetic) Did you go to an REI to get fitted for a pack?
I've been considering the : Big Agnes Flycreek ul2 tent & Sawyer Squeeze or Platypus Gravity Filter. I thought I would buy one of those accordion style sleeping pads to give them a try on a weekend trip to see if I like it. If not, I'll pay the extra $$ and get a nice inflatable one.

I really like my Sawyer Squeeze. If you get the adapter it attaches neatly to Smartwater bottles for no spillage and easy filtering. I use an Evernew collapsible bottle for dirty water as it also has the same threads as the Squeeze...Platypus does not match up.

I love my Kylmit Insulated Static V Light. Warm, comfortable and light, compact and easy to store flat in your pack.

I invested in a ZPacks Duplex tent but if I was to go the commercial route I'd be looking at the BA CopperSpur UL2 vs the Fly Creek for more interior space and a side entry, for a few more ozs. Or consider Tarptent for less money and low weight!

nsherry61
09-28-2016, 09:11
It looks to me like you are thinking along good lines. Everything you've listed is great workable gear. There are 1000's of opinions on what is best, nothing you've listed is bad or wrong.

My two cents:
The z-lite accordion pads are awesome if you are a back sleeper, and work for many people that are stomach sleepers. They do not have enough padding for someone that is a side sleeper (especially over the age of 50). I spent several months at one point in my life training myself to sleep comfortably all night flat on my back without a pillow. It took time, but the training worked surprisingly well . . . except, as I have aged, I now have sleep apnea and must sleep on my side or I quit breathing. . . so, with aging joints and sleep apnea, I am now a thick inflatable pad user that suffers pad envy toward all those people that can sleep on their back and get by with simple closed cell foam pads.

I'd be happy hiking for months with a BA Flycreek UL2 and either of the filters you list (I actually use a Sawyer). I personally prefer down for weight, comprehensibility and longevity.

As for pack fitting. Getting a good pack fitting is very important. REI staff can do a good job, or a poor job depending on which staff member you work with (most of them are pretty good). REI offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee for 1 year, so, if you get a pack from them (not a bad choice), take it out and use it with weight and make sure it works for you and that you are happy with the fit you have.

As to the original post question about preparation, do lots of short 1 and 2 night trips, and ideally at least one longer week-length type trip to dial in your gear and more importantly, dial in your habits and practices and your mental sensibilities.

I'm a fan of picking really nasty extreme weather and hiking in a couple miles from your car with what you think is a minimal but complete gear kit to really learn what you can get by with and without while still "close to home". You'll likely find that some of the big important security blanket type things aren't really needed while some little crap like the right hat and an extra plastic bag are critical. . . for instance in nasty weather, a good pee bottle can contribute significantly to a good night's sleep, although most people probably hike the AT without a pee bottle. Being able to use a pee bottle comfortably inside a sleeping bag can take some practice.

Most importantly, have fun.

KDogg
09-28-2016, 10:09

I used a sawyer squeeze the whole trail. It worked well up until the very end and lasted the entire trail. I carried two of the sawyer bags for dirty water. They didn't last the entire trail but they are only 10 bucks for two and most of the outfitters have them.

My tent was a z-packs duplex purchased at trail days. Highly recommended but very pricey so I know not for everyone. Any of the BA tents served folks well. Be careful about weight. Adding a few ounces here and there quickly turns into a few pounds.

I also used the Klymit insulated v-lite. It is relatively inexpensive compared to most inflatables and was comfortable. The insulated versions of inflatables are a must. You will be cold otherwise.

For sleeping I carried a 30 degree down quilt and a liner. I carried the quilt the whole way and slept with it over me most nights. Some folks were sorry that they bounced their bag forward after the cold nights were gone. The cold nights weren't gone and they suffered for it.

My pack was a z-pack arc blast. Might not be my choice if I did this again. The ULA packs looked pretty good and the Osprey's were really popular. Again, watch the weight as the different models have much different weights. Definitely get fitted and make sure that you put weight in the pack when you do. Good outfitters will have lead weights for this purpose.

Good luck and have fun.

pmrs88
09-28-2016, 17:34

I hiked for two months using the Thermarest Z-Lite Sol sleeping pad and I have to say I didn't sleep very well the entire time and eventually ended up buying a three quarter length Thermarest Pro-Lite and then cutting the Z-Lite in half to use for my feet and as a seat pad during the day. The extra bit of cushioning actually made a big difference and allowed me to sleep more comfortably on my side.

la.lindsey
09-28-2016, 17:43
I hiked for two months using the Thermarest Z-Lite Sol sleeping pad and I have to say I didn't sleep very well the entire time

I used the Z-lite (accordion one) on a 3 week section and slept...ok. (I'm a side and stomach sleeper.) I went back to my ridge rest (the foam one that rolls up) and it's SO much better. I don't know why there's such a difference, but y'all, there is.

AfterParty
09-28-2016, 19:08
Simply shouldering your pack a few times a day can be helpful for some too. Playing with your loadout can be very helpful too. What goes where what needs to be easily accessible. Type o thing. Simply getting out is the best training. And using a pad on the hard ground for more then a night or ten.

josh_ATL
10-31-2016, 00:05
I've been hiking my whole life and have done several 100 mile+ hikes, but nothing prepared me for thru hiking. There was no getting used to walking 15 miles a day, everyday, in almost constant pain. All my hiking trips before my thru hike had an end that was not far off. I ended up hitting a little more than 1200 miles, and had a work emergency that took me off the trail for a few weeks, and decided to come back this year to finish. The hikers that I saw that made it were the ones who weren't bothered by anything. They were the ones who didn't let the rain or the heat or the cold bother them. They were constantly laughing, and always had a smile on their face. They could go into town and kill a Chinese Buffet, head to the bar afterward, drink til 3am, but were always up and hiking their 15 miles the next day. They could spend the days when it was 100 degrees outside hanging out at a wayside drinking blackberry milkshakes and cold beer while playing cards, and would hike 20 miles in the dark so the day wasn't wasted. When the days started getting shorter they were up at sunrise so they would make it to camp before it got dark and cold. They took as many zeros and neros and they wanted to rest their body and let injuries heal. The day hikers, trail angels and other hikers would constantly remind them that they were running behind and better hurry up if they want to make Katadhin, and they would politely agree and go on their way, knowing in the back of their mind that they had plenty of time. Other hikers would ask them when they started and laugh because they had been out for so long, not realizing that many of them had left the trail, some for several weeks to go home for a wedding, or family reunion, or funeral, or any number of reasons, and then come back to the trail only to discover they had lost their trail legs it had taken 3 months to develop. They take in as much off trail scenery as they do on trail. They hitch rides to the closest Mexican restaurant which isn't actually close at all and will pretty much make the day a nero, but Mexican food is amazing when you've been in the woods for a couple weeks and its Cinco de Mayo. They go to Gatlinburg and sample moonshine and end up getting stuck in that tourist trap for a couple days. They go dumpster diving behind the Food Lion after an old hippie convinces them with several stories of his fruitful midnight excursions to the dumpster. They spend a couple extra days in town when they should be hiking because come on, its the Finals, and let's all admit it, Cleveland needed something good to happen. They Head to DC for the 4th of July because it's only a thirteen dollar train ride. They go to New York City to visit with other friends, family, and even run into other hikers. They stay in Hanover and extra day after they are offered the opportunity to go to their first Ivy League football game. They are the ones who pack out thirty racks of beer and ribeye steaks when a friend comes to visit, just to give them an unrealistic view of how "hard" hiking is. They pass by the HOJO that is on the trail and decide to stay a whole extra day and night, even though they just took a zero. Why? Because there's a pool. Because it's been 100 degrees for the past ten days. Because there are other hikers you lost back in Tennessee that you thought you'd never see again. But most importantly, because what's one more day to get to Katadhin? It's not like you have any plans set in stone for the next day, or even the next week or month. The hikers that I saw make it were the ones who didn't let a schedule, or time frame, or another person get in the way of their hike being one of the most fun, most memorable, and most exciting experiences they would ever have. They spent hundreds on lighter weight gear, just to throw a watermelon, a few packs of bubba burgers, several pounds of fresh veggies and a couple boxes of wine into their brand new Cuben Fiber packs, and hoof it 6 miles up a mountain because dinner was going to be amazing! They didn't say no to adventures that presented themselves along the way, they didn't worry about finishing in a certain amount of time, they didn't worry about walking a certain amount of miles in any day. They just walked and did what they wanted to and let the trail provide the adventure for them. Those were the people that finished.

Dogwood
10-31-2016, 00:48
Hiking all day, every day for months can be mind-numbing boring. The body adapts automatically, the brain - not so much - and that's the weak link in the chain.

With that in mind, try walking on a treadmill, 3 hours at a time, for 14 days in a row and see how that feels.

I dont think hiking is boring at all. I truly enjoy it. What animals will I see today? What scenery will I see that I havent seen before? What flowers? Will I see any bent trees? What people will I see?

I dont hike much for various reasons and I dont consider myself in shape. However, when I go for a hike I can easily put in 3 miles with a 5lb pack to start. Snacks and water.

Im not overly worried about getting in shape for my hike. If I get to go I will get in shape on the trail. Ill start slow and go from there. I figure if I can hike 3 mi even though I havent hiked in months I can start out with 6 mile days and work up from there.

At least on a thru hike after my hike I wont have to run errands, do laundry and shopping for 4 people, cook for 4 etc every day.

Have you hiked 12-20 mpd, every day with the exception of a few zeros - for several months in a row?

That's what we're talking about doing here....

Hiking is exciting (for me) too - but there are long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of euphoria - enough to keep me moving - but definitely it takes the ability to deal with boredom to master a multimonth hike.

Boredom can happen no matter the length of time on trail or daily mileage. Boredom is commonly give as an excuse for quitting an anticipated and otherwise decently planned long hike.

Listen up AT thru-hikers!

Grace gives a prime example for beating boredom - staying in a state of wonder, having appreciation/gratitude/mindfulness, excitedness, and expectation of always something new to experience at ever bend in the trail with every footstep. For her, as I too can relate, it's the ever changing wonders of nature.

Greenlight
10-31-2016, 20:21
goldielocks,

I have about 200 miles of mostly hilly hiking experience from great Indiana state parks (Tecumseh and Three Lakes trails in Morgan Monroe SF, Turkey Run SP, Clifty Falls SP, Knobstone Trail, and that is how I'm preparing for my thru. But that is touching the tip of the iceberg. At 24, you should be fine by just doing it, building up mileage over the first month so you don't kill yourself. But use all of your gear before you light out for the biggun' because there is nothing worse than pulling into camp and having to have others show you how to use your gear.

Jim Adams
11-01-2016, 01:02
I was on my first thru hike of the A.T. for 3 weeks before I found out that it was longer than 1,000 miles? Had never backpacked for more than 3 days prior to that.

Slow Trek
11-27-2016, 02:06
I believe it has a lot more to do with your state of mind than your amount of training.While we only hiked from Springer to Harper's,we still saw many drop out. I did one 6 mile hike to test a new pack,and that was my total training. I am 54 and was 25 pounds overweight when we began,and still smoke a little. Were there people hiking faster and farther? You bet. Did we care? No. We had a goal,and met that goal through the normal hardships of bears,rain and heat. The key is.you must WANT to be there. We started the same day as a young lady that at times was three or four days ahead of us,much more fit and faster. She also liked to party and sleep late-in the end,we hiked into Harpers on the same day.Regardless of training,if you want to bad enough,you will.

DownEaster
03-16-2017, 03:08
I've got a fair amount of backpacking experience, including somewhere close to 300 miles on the AT. My longest stretch was the northernmost 200 miles starting at Katahdin. This was quite a while ago; I forded the chest-deep Kennebec River back when that was a thing (before the canoe ferry). I live in urban California now, so the available hiking is quite a bit different. Around Silicon Valley there are plenty of places for day hikes but not many for backpacking. My preparation is mostly local utility hikes. I leave the car at home and use a day pack to go get groceries, visit Lowe's and Home Depot, & c; typically I'll carry about 25-30 lbs. and climb freeway overpasses rather than hills. The nearest Walmart grocery is a 6 mile circuit that's largely through a strip of narrow parkland, and I can (and do) choose to avoid the paving and walk on grass and dirt. When I take my big pack and get 10 2-liter sodas I'm coming back with 60+ lbs. on my back. My objective is to make a 25 lb. pack feel like everyday carry weight, and to incorporate this training into my normal needs rather than have to plan a special conditioning outing. Buying beverages makes for easy exercise opportunities. Each gallon of milk is 8 lbs., and each 2 liters of soda is 4½. Plus the exercise makes you thirsty, so you drink yourself back to needing another supply run. :) I've read that it takes 40 miles of loaded walking to properly break in hiking shoes, and I could wear through 4-5 pairs on my through hike. I've started on the first pair. Good thing I've got almost a year to prepare!

I'll try out the new tent, new sleeping bag, & c. in the back yard and hope the neighbors don't give me grief. (The fences are just to mark the property lines, not high enough for privacy.) The cookware can be exercised on the patio, and whether I do so on the barbecue grill or backpacking stove is entirely my business.

Bansko
03-30-2017, 20:09
You don't need a ton of physical prep. I took 5 mile walks about three to four times a week for two months prior to departure, with a full pack every time. Carrying the pack was important since it was weighted according to what would be my trail weight (about 27 lbs. with food and water). When I started at Springer it felt as if I was just going on another of my walks (albeit much longer and with more vertical). I lost 25 lbs. in about six weeks as the trail whipped me into better shape.

Before I started my thru hike I read a comment that said don't worry too much about getting into peak shape; the trail will take care of that for you. Very true.

tflaris
04-04-2017, 13:03

Pretty much my philosophy. Lighter is better I lost 15 lbs for my JMT Thru Hike. Best weight savings ever.

SwathHiker
09-28-2017, 23:17
There was no getting used to walking 15 miles a day, everyday, in almost constant pain. ... The hikers that I saw make it were the ones who didn't let a schedule, or time frame, or another person get in the way of their hike being one of the most fun, most memorable, and most exciting experiences they would ever have. They spent hundreds on lighter weight gear, just to throw a watermelon, a few packs of bubba burgers, several pounds of fresh veggies and a couple boxes of wine into their brand new Cuben Fiber packs, and hoof it 6 miles up a mountain because dinner was going to be amazing! They didn't say no to adventures that presented themselves along the way, they didn't worry about finishing in a certain amount of time, they didn't worry about walking a certain amount of miles in any day. They just walked and did what they wanted to and let the trail provide the adventure for them.

That's the way you DO IT!

StichBurly
09-29-2017, 01:05
I've been hiking my whole life and have done several 100 mile+ hikes, but nothing prepared me for thru hiking. There was no getting used to walking 15 miles a day, everyday, in almost constant pain. All my hiking trips before my thru hike had an end that was not far off. I ended up hitting a little more than 1200 miles, and had a work emergency that took me off the trail for a few weeks, and decided to come back this year to finish. The hikers that I saw that made it were the ones who weren't bothered by anything. They were the ones who didn't let the rain or the heat or the cold bother them. They were constantly laughing, and always had a smile on their face. They could go into town and kill a Chinese Buffet, head to the bar afterward, drink til 3am, but were always up and hiking their 15 miles the next day. They could spend the days when it was 100 degrees outside hanging out at a wayside drinking blackberry milkshakes and cold beer while playing cards, and would hike 20 miles in the dark so the day wasn't wasted. When the days started getting shorter they were up at sunrise so they would make it to camp before it got dark and cold. They took as many zeros and neros and they wanted to rest their body and let injuries heal. The day hikers, trail angels and other hikers would constantly remind them that they were running behind and better hurry up if they want to make Katadhin, and they would politely agree and go on their way, knowing in the back of their mind that they had plenty of time. Other hikers would ask them when they started and laugh because they had been out for so long, not realizing that many of them had left the trail, some for several weeks to go home for a wedding, or family reunion, or funeral, or any number of reasons, and then come back to the trail only to discover they had lost their trail legs it had taken 3 months to develop. They take in as much off trail scenery as they do on trail. They hitch rides to the closest Mexican restaurant which isn't actually close at all and will pretty much make the day a nero, but Mexican food is amazing when you've been in the woods for a couple weeks and its Cinco de Mayo. They go to Gatlinburg and sample moonshine and end up getting stuck in that tourist trap for a couple days. They go dumpster diving behind the Food Lion after an old hippie convinces them with several stories of his fruitful midnight excursions to the dumpster. They spend a couple extra days in town when they should be hiking because come on, its the Finals, and let's all admit it, Cleveland needed something good to happen. They Head to DC for the 4th of July because it's only a thirteen dollar train ride. They go to New York City to visit with other friends, family, and even run into other hikers. They stay in Hanover and extra day after they are offered the opportunity to go to their first Ivy League football game. They are the ones who pack out thirty racks of beer and ribeye steaks when a friend comes to visit, just to give them an unrealistic view of how "hard" hiking is. They pass by the HOJO that is on the trail and decide to stay a whole extra day and night, even though they just took a zero. Why? Because there's a pool. Because it's been 100 degrees for the past ten days. Because there are other hikers you lost back in Tennessee that you thought you'd never see again. But most importantly, because what's one more day to get to Katadhin? It's not like you have any plans set in stone for the next day, or even the next week or month. The hikers that I saw make it were the ones who didn't let a schedule, or time frame, or another person get in the way of their hike being one of the most fun, most memorable, and most exciting experiences they would ever have. They spent hundreds on lighter weight gear, just to throw a watermelon, a few packs of bubba burgers, several pounds of fresh veggies and a couple boxes of wine into their brand new Cuben Fiber packs, and hoof it 6 miles up a mountain because dinner was going to be amazing! They didn't say no to adventures that presented themselves along the way, they didn't worry about finishing in a certain amount of time, they didn't worry about walking a certain amount of miles in any day. They just walked and did what they wanted to and let the trail provide the adventure for them. Those were the people that finished.

I Agree 100%. What years did you hike?

SawnieRobertson
09-29-2017, 22:16

Uriah speaks truth. Ahhhh, to be not younger but leaner.

SawnieRobertson
09-29-2017, 22:23
I was on my first thru hike of the A.T. for 3 weeks before I found out that it was longer than 1,000 miles? Had never backpacked for more than 3 days prior to that.

That is so funny. What was your reaction when you found out? Glee? Hee hee.

gracebowen
09-29-2017, 23:58
goldielocks,

I have about 200 miles of mostly hilly hiking experience from great Indiana state parks (Tecumseh and Three Lakes trails in Morgan Monroe SF, Turkey Run SP, Clifty Falls SP, Knobstone Trail, and that is how I'm preparing for my thru. But that is touching the tip of the iceberg. At 24, you should be fine by just doing it, building up mileage over the first month so you don't kill yourself. But use all of your gear before you light out for the biggun' because there is nothing worse than pulling into camp and having to have others show you how to use your gear.

Thanks Dogwood. That helps me make my point. 10 min on a treadmill and Im bored to tears. On many dayhikes I go just a little further because I want to see whats around the next bend. On my last hike where I had to bail because I both overextended myself and my kids were done I still found aporeciation in the small things like stopping to watch a lizard scamper across the trail.

My last overnighter I hiked 7 miles in one day eith a school backpack that weighed about 20 lbs. I carried most of the weigh including 3liters of water. I also didnt have proper gear. But hey we got out there. We put our poly tarp over the picnik table and slept under it. ��and I tied it to the metal table (it had holes) with zip ties. 2 miles were an accident because we missed the side trail to the campsite. Prior to that my longest hike was 3 to 4 miles carrying only about a 5 lb fanny pack. And it had been months since my last dayhike. Still not bad IMHO for someone who is usually pretty sedentary.

gracebowen
09-30-2017, 00:08
Jeez my new schedule is catching up to me. I obviously meant to quote Dogwood. Hey on the plus side Im working more and making more money. That means 1 I can save more and 2 if/when I hike in 2020 or so if I still have the hours my daughter can afford to send me a little each month. Shes going to take over my job for me :) unless things change lol.

rafe
09-30-2017, 00:19
Best prep is to be in shape, have a good attitude, plenty of cash on hand, and issues on the home front sorted out and under control. From my experience, attitude is a yooge part of it.

DownEaster
09-30-2017, 02:04
10 min on a treadmill and Im bored to tears.

Best prep is to be in shape, have a good attitude... From my experience, attitude is a yooge part of it.

Sometimes being in shape and having a good attitude are at odds, as the quote above indicates. If you've got the time to start slowly on a through hike, getting in shape on the trail isn't the worst approach. It's obviously better if you're in good shape when you start, but forcing yourself into shape beforehand at the cost of souring your attitude can be counterproductive.

Sovi
10-02-2017, 19:01
I've never calculated the miles I've been, while I have never done more than 2 days in a row backpacking the thru hike of the AT has always been a dream. I do local trails every chance I get though. Mentally I've been preparing for ~25 years, physically lately are local 8 mile day trails.

SwathHiker
10-05-2017, 05:08
I think now the air mattresses are so much lighter that you don't need to resort to the foam pads. You can get a good air mat for under a pound, and a pump for 2 oz so that it doesn't get moldy inside. You'll enjoy it much more with a lighter load. I also never pressure myself to cover miles. I just go out for the walk. You don't need to sleep at the shelters even, much of the time. So you can just meander through the woods like the trail was intended to be walked and throw down when you get tired. And pick up when you are rested. And make your way to the end. Try to ignore the younger set's constant chatter about mileage. That's my approach.

Gear I like:

Montbell down bags - they are softer and lighter, and stretchy so you can sit cross-legged in them for breakfast.
ULA packs use dyneema which is much sturdier than cuben fiber and very light.
Big Agnes Copper Spur tent - very convenient for a solo hiker - they go up and come down fast and are light and much roomier than the Fly Creek.

Wool - smartwool or icebreaker long underwear for sleeping and as a baselayer is FAR FAR better than synthetic capeline, which is smelly.

Socks: Darn Tough is awesome, but Ex Officio and Farm to Feet make GOOD hiking socks with permethrin in them which is also very important.

Women's underwear - the only real game in town worth bothering to buy is Ex Officio - it's mesh and awesome - dries fast and lasts forever.

Ex Officio also makes good BugsAway shirts and pants for summer.

REI is the place to get SHOES because of their return policy, and Keens are popular because when they fail on the trail they'll fedex you a new pair often to your next stop.

Don't go too crazy with ultralight trekking poles for long-distance hiking. They'll be the bent up set you see in the trash can at the trail head.

I've done lots of huge hundreds-of-miles "swaths" of the trail, hence my trail name of Swath Hiker ("less than a Thru, more than a Section"), and plan to thru in 2018. I am in TERRIBLE shape, having just come off a torn MCL and off a couple years on prednisone. I plan to get my ass in shape on the trail. I am not at all concerned about making that happen as I have no problem with plunking down anywhere I please, snow or shine, whenever I get tired, and making myself a nice latte on the trail. What have you. I have the time and resources to start in Georgia and finish in Maine next year, and therefore I will. Walk your own walk!

Wiklet
10-05-2017, 18:20
Hiking on a treadmill doesn't include the gorgeous scent of forest loam, dried leaves, sun on skin; it doesn't include shifting light illuminating leaves to all shades and transparencies of green, or the unexpected vista from a bald rock outcropping. Yes, there is plodding, which gives the opportunity for almost meditative emptiness in the green tunnel. The beauty of fog in a pine forest or a ridiculously poly-chrome sunset, waterfall, mountain vistas -- those are just icing on the cake :D

El JP
10-06-2017, 01:58
I believe it has a lot more to do with your state of mind than your amount of training.While we only hiked from Springer to Harper's,we still saw many drop out. I did one 6 mile hike to test a new pack,and that was my total training. I am 54 and was 25 pounds overweight when we began,and still smoke a little. Were there people hiking faster and farther? You bet. Did we care? No. We had a goal,and met that goal through the normal hardships of bears,rain and heat. The key is.you must WANT to be there. We started the same day as a young lady that at times was three or four days ahead of us,much more fit and faster. She also liked to party and sleep late-in the end,we hiked into Harpers on the same day.Regardless of training,if you want to bad enough,you will.

Yep.

I would venture that a whole lot of people overthink when it comes to these experiences. If you want to be out there, you will be out there regardless. I spent a few years homeless and one got used to quite a lot of crappy situations in everyday living. The mantra i've had for some years is "It's all mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." I know without a doubt i'm going to be in for a miserable experience until i get things sorted and kick into gear. There's no way around it. I will put up with it because i want to be hiking the AT. Full Stop.

In the time i've spent studying up on the trail i've heard stories of people giving up on the approach. Amazing. Their own minds whipped them before they even made it to Springer proper. Hell, the stairs alone have broken people. As for me, my youth is long gone, my overall health isn't the greatest, and my knees are suspect. I'll probably be half vomiting and having a near heart attack on the stairs but i will climb them and make my way to Springer and be heading north the day after. I'm breaking down the trail into sectors and navigation points and intend to make my way from point to point until there's nothing left. No need to be super high speed as long as one can be persistent and enduring.

KCNC
10-07-2017, 15:43
Yep.

I would venture that a whole lot of people overthink when it comes to these experiences. If you want to be out there, you will be out there regardless. I spent a few years homeless and one got used to quite a lot of crappy situations in everyday living. The mantra i've had for some years is "It's all mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." I know without a doubt i'm going to be in for a miserable experience until i get things sorted and kick into gear. There's no way around it. I will put up with it because i want to be hiking the AT. Full Stop.

In the time i've spent studying up on the trail i've heard stories of people giving up on the approach. Amazing. Their own minds whipped them before they even made it to Springer proper. Hell, the stairs alone have broken people. As for me, my youth is long gone, my overall health isn't the greatest, and my knees are suspect. I'll probably be half vomiting and having a near heart attack on the stairs but i will climb them and make my way to Springer and be heading north the day after. I'm breaking down the trail into sectors and navigation points and intend to make my way from point to point until there's nothing left. No need to be super high speed as long as one can be persistent and enduring.

Amen. You can't eat a whole pizza in one bite any more than you can hike the entire trail in one day. it's a series of small hikes, all strung together. If there's anything I've learned from the efforts of others in the long distance hiking world it's "speed kills." Better to be the tortoise and stop to check your feet than press on just so you're the first to arrive. If you've ever heard the parable of the young bull and the old bull discussing the herd of cows in the field below them then you understand my approach.

Don't quit on a bad day and give yourself long enough to figure out if you like being out there or not. If you figure out all of that on the approach trail then you've wasted your time even going that far.

jjozgrunt
10-08-2017, 00:33
I know without a doubt i'm going to be in for a miserable experience until i get things sorted and kick into gear. There's no way around it. I will put up with it because i want to be hiking the AT. Full Stop.

The thing is you don't need to be miserable, you don't need to ache at the end of a day or spend the first hour in the morning getting your body moving. You shouldn't be dialing in your gear in the first week or buy replacement/new gear at Neel Gap

Even for a February start you still have 5 months to get training and hiking and get your gear sorted. Hike in the rain, snow if you are starting early so you can work it out. Get it all done before you get on the trail and then enjoy it. Join a walking club and suck out the experience of others. Take it easy for the first week but not because you're in pain but because that's the best thing to do.

Yes you can do all the get fit, be miserable, get your s#*t together on the trail, but unless you have a great mental strength it will be too easy to give up, just look at the figures.

El JP
10-08-2017, 01:39
The thing is you don't need to be miserable, you don't need to ache at the end of a day or spend the first hour in the morning getting your body moving. You shouldn't be dialing in your gear in the first week or buy replacement/new gear at Neel Gap

Even for a February start you still have 5 months to get training and hiking and get your gear sorted. Hike in the rain, snow if you are starting early so you can work it out. Get it all done before you get on the trail and then enjoy it. Join a walking club and suck out the experience of others. Take it easy for the first week but not because you're in pain but because that's the best thing to do.

Yes you can do all the get fit, be miserable, get your s#*t together on the trail, but unless you have a great mental strength it will be too easy to give up, just look at the figures.

One thing i always say is expect the worst. That way if it happens, you're ready for it. If it doesn't, you'll feel better.

Training and preparation will only go so far. When all is said and done, there's no substitute for actually being at the Approach Arch and stepping through. I figure i'll be in "good enough" shape when i set off. Knowing myself, it'll take the body about a week to adjust to the routine and kick in. Small things take a matter of adjusting everyday. For example, my left knee and right achilles need about an hour or so of movement every single morning before they function properly. For the first 1/4 mile or so every day i'll be limping quite noticeably, then it's sorted and on with the day.

The gear i'll be bringing won't be anyone's idea of top quality. Will it do the job? Yes? Will other's gear work better? Yes. Will i be bothered? Not really. I've been in that situation countless times. All i want from of my kit is to keep me relatively warm and relatively dry and allows me to keep trudging along. Sometime for sure it'll be basically improvise, overcome, and adapt but that's the way it goes.

Emerson Bigills
10-08-2017, 13:22
I hope this doesn't get too long, but there is no one way for you to get ready for your thru. Spending some nights in the backwoods going up and down some mountains and testing your gear will really help you get the right gear and build some confidence. Doing it in bad weather will also help you deal with short term misery, which will visit you frequently on a thru. The first time you deal with a particular "suck" it sucks, the next times you deal with it, you have a way to mitigate it, or you just accept it and don't worry about it, because the "suck" won't last forever.

As for getting in physical shape, do what you can. Walk a lot, with a pack is better, up hills is even better. I ended up doing most of my prep on the shoreline of a lake in NC. Not much up and down. I can tell you that the mountains in GA and NC took a while to get use to, but when I would hit those rare flat sections of the trail in VA, I was well prepared. :) You are going to have enough misery, don't compound it by walking out there 50 lbs. overweight. 20 is no big deal, because it will be gone by Damascus. (if you are a guy)

If you overextend your body, you run a high risk of getting injured. Injuries don't discriminate. Old people get them, young people get them, fat hikers get them and finely tuned athletes turned hiker get them. Know your limits on mileage early on. I think zeroes are over rated. I took 8 in the first half of the hike and 4 in the second half. In one stretch I went 50 days and only took one zero, averaging about 17.7 miles a day for 885 miles. You also have to have some injury luck. I fell about 20 times, twice hitting my head and bleeding. You don't choose where you are going to fall and I never was able to control how I landed.

I enjoyed the first 1500 miles of my hike. I did not say they were all fun. The last 700 miles were tough. That was where the mental discipline and commitment to what I had already invested in the hike kept me going. I was not alone, the others I hiked around felt the same way. The last 400 miles were very tough physically. I was NOBO, so my body was deteriorating by that point and the trail really changes in NH and ME. I was a 58 year old guy that had been through an ACL knee reconstruction and a heart attack, so I wasn't the physical specimen many were. By the time I was in the Whites it was physically very tough, but the mental toughness is what is required.

A couple pieces of advice, take it in small sections mentally. Focus on the next hostel stop or town stay. I wasn't a big partier, so town to me meant dry, warm place to sleep and good food. Don't think about anything beyond the section you are hiking. Pretty soon, you will be in NY.... and then you have come too far to quit. :) Be a sponge. Especially early. Watch other hikers who seem to know what they are doing. When you have an issue, casually bring it up at camp and ask if anyone else has had to deal with it. You will probably get some good ideas. Don't bitch about your misery. Everyone is hurting and they don't care about your pain. You will learn all the way up the trail. I was in NH and one night I lamented how slow I was on the downhill rock faces and scrambles. By then you would have thought I had the answers. One of the other hikers suggested I extend my trekking poles to get additional points of contact quicker on the downhills. The next morning, I found that it made a world of difference. Keep learning. Answer the bell every morning. It is worth it.

cockblock moses
12-09-2017, 13:40
Despite the endless chatter about gear and physical fitness, which surely both factor into preparing for thru-hikes, prepare yourself by getting emotionally and mentally strong knowing that this is a necessary key ingredient to successful happy completion for a thru.

Get out in the rain, snow, heat, etc setting up, sleeping in, and packing up your anticipated AT shelter, wearing your anticipated AT clothing/shoes/etc , cooking with your stove, eating and preparing foods you will be buying in stores along the way(trail food becomes your home food), walking to the grocery store/work/etc in inclement weather, shopping for your groceries and hauling them home hopefully up stairs, through the woods, through mud puddles, snow and slush. Get uncomfortable. Re-establish new levels of comfortability by adapting mentally and emotionally. It will only be a start to what you will experience with LD on trail life.

Wean yourself from the many hrs of constant motor vehicle travel, sitting in front of or using a computer, cooking in your kitchen at home..Make your off trail home exceptionally cold in winter and hot in summer. AC off. High heat off.

http://blueridgehikingco.com/training-brain-appalachian-trail/

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/how-do-i-train-for-a-thru-hike/

Consider Warren Doyle's AT thru-hiker class

http://www.warrendoyle.com/

Consider Zach Thomas' Appalachian Trials A Psychological And Emotional Guide To Successfully Thru Hiking The Trail Kindle Edition Zach Davis

Yes this is important. You can be in good shape, or even great shape. But if you can’t be comfortable with being uncomfortable good luck making it even 50 miles.

cockblock moses
12-09-2017, 13:41

You say hiking isn’t boring right now. Lol

Grampie
12-09-2017, 14:28
If you want to prepare for a thru-hike seek the council of someone who has had a successful thru. Much info posted is not correct. it is often posted. By folks who have spent little time on the AT and have hiked limited miles. You have to spend the time, 4-6 months and have hiked many miles to truely know the correct advise to give.

cockblock moses
12-09-2017, 14:34
If you want to prepare for a thru-hike seek the council of someone who has had a successful thru. Much info posted is not correct. it is often posted. By folks who have spent little time on the AT and have hiked limited miles. You have to spend the time, 4-6 months and have hiked many miles to truely know the correct advise to give.

This right here is good. Many on here giving opinions don’t actually have much experience if any at all. And for those of us with experience-it’s very easy to tell who has none. :)

tflaris
12-09-2017, 23:06
Cheeseburger Training is important also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk