Fireplug
09-20-2016, 20:03
When's it come out?????

trailmercury
09-22-2016, 10:19
he said january, when I emailed...

Engine
09-22-2016, 12:51
That's funny, I was just looking yesterday to see if I could pre-order it. Not yet it seems...

Engine
09-22-2016, 12:52
When's it come out?????

Fireplug, are you going to Thru in 2017? Is so, direction and start date?

Fireplug
09-22-2016, 18:43
Engine. Yes I'm thru hiking 2017. Planning a March 1st or 13th start. But def. March. NOBO Are you going to the seminar next week in Cocoa. David Miller is talking I'll find out from him when the 2017 AWOL Guide comes out

Engine
09-22-2016, 20:35
I had thought about going. Cocoa is a bit of a drive, but maybe...we'll be starting on March 8th, hopefully we'll see each other.

capehiker
09-22-2016, 23:50
There are some re-routes coming this year in GA and PA. I'm interested to see how the mileage changes.

pmartincma
09-23-2016, 00:38
Can you tell me where and when the seminar is going to be held. I live somewhat near Cocoa and am thinking of doing a NOBO possibly in March

Engine
09-23-2016, 04:36
Can you tell me where and when the seminar is going to be held. I live somewhat near Cocoa and am thinking of doing a NOBO possibly in March

36371 Here you go.

eabyrd1506
09-23-2016, 11:34
There are some re-routes coming this year in GA and PA. I'm interested to see how the mileage changes.
Any more info on the PA re-routes. I want to complete the PA section(s) doing weekenders throughout 17 as a way to gain experience leading up to a thru hike in the future.

capehiker
09-23-2016, 15:50
Any more info on the PA re-routes. I want to complete the PA section(s) doing weekenders throughout 17 as a way to gain experience leading up to a thru hike in the future.

The area around Palmerton is getting rerouted. That's really all I know.

CoolBobby
09-23-2016, 16:06
36371 Here you go.
Thanks for the link... I'm going to try to make it...

Click
09-29-2016, 18:15

I like to keep my guides intact and even more useable by laminating the covers and spiral binding them. These cost a little over $9 each at Office Max.

Fireplug
09-29-2016, 18:45
Crap I forgot to ask AWOL Wednesday in Cocoa when it's coming out.

T-Rx
10-02-2016, 21:01
Engine. Yes I'm thru hiking 2017. Planning a March 1st or 13th start. But def. March. NOBO Are you going to the seminar next week in Cocoa. David Miller is talking I'll find out from him when the 2017 AWOL Guide comes out

hey fireplug, I see you attended the Cocoa seminar so you must live nearby. I am in Cocoa beach and am also planning a 2017 thru hike. I hiked 650 miles in 2015 but I've just got to give it another try for a thru.

trailmercury
10-03-2016, 12:47
Crap I forgot to ask AWOL Wednesday in Cocoa when it's coming out.

As I posted above, I had direct communication with him, and he stated January...

One Half
10-03-2016, 13:07
I have a question. On the website there is a list of post offices with distances marked after some of them. I would guess this is distance off the trail and general direction from it. Are the POs without distances marked right on the trail or just an oversight or what? TIA

Fireplug
10-03-2016, 14:34
I have a question. On the website there is a list of post offices with distances marked after some of them. I would guess this is distance off the trail and general direction from it. Are the POs without distances marked right on the trail or just an oversight or what? TIA
If your looking for post offices for mail drops I would use a hostel or hotel. Post offices can close early on a Friday and you are stuck till Monday to get your drop. I used hotels and hostels for my drops. Just call or email them ahead of time. But to answer your question IDK as IDK what web site your info came from!

One Half
10-04-2016, 11:26
If your looking for post offices for mail drops I would use a hostel or hotel. Post offices can close early on a Friday and you are stuck till Monday to get your drop. I used hotels and hostels for my drops. Just call or email them ahead of time. But to answer your question IDK as IDK what web site your info came from!

oops. forgot to leave the link but I was referring to the site for the AWOL guide (as this is the AWOL thread). Here's the link I was referring to.
http://theatguide.com/PostOffices.html

Fireplug
10-04-2016, 16:16
oops. forgot to leave the link but I was referring to the site for the AWOL guide (as this is the AWOL thread). Here's the link I was referring to.
http://theatguide.com/PostOffices.html
Penny

Yes the (9W) or (2.3E) means the distance off the trail. Just be careful some small towns close when they want!!!! That's why I used Hotels or Hostles. Just my two cents worth. Somewhere on this site is a place with all them and phone numbers along with addresses.

One Half
10-05-2016, 01:32
Penny

Yes the (9W) or (2.3E) means the distance off the trail. Just be careful some small towns close when they want!!!! That's why I used Hotels or Hostles. Just my two cents worth. Somewhere on this site is a place with all them and phone numbers along with addresses.

I got that but what about the PO listings without a mileage/direction note? Does that mean they are ON the trail?

Fireplug
10-05-2016, 15:16
I got that but what about the PO listings without a mileage/direction note? Does that mean they are ON the trail?

Some are and some aren't. Dahlonga for example is not close to the trail however Hot Spring and Harper's Ferry are. If you want to use Post Offices for mail drops ( my last option ) I would call them and ask how far from the trail they are.

FiftyNine
12-19-2016, 16:14
When's it come out?????

the PDF version was released today (December 19, 2016) Received an email that it was ready for download.

Water Rat
12-19-2016, 18:29
If you order The AT Guide between now and Dec 31st, you can save 15% off the cost. NOBO books will ship in mid-January, SOBO guides will be a couple/few weeks later to hit the mail.

If you are looking to order just the pdf, it is only $7.60 (with the 15% off).

http://www.theatguide.com/

Engine
12-19-2016, 18:32
PDF version is out as of today.

Huli
12-22-2016, 18:27
I have the 2015 SoBo version. Went to the website to update as I do. The page numbers are a bit off and the title of the pdf is northbound. It takes a little bit of page flipping, but the updates can be done.

Drapac
01-13-2017, 13:20
Couple questions on the guide

If I am going to plan on tear pages out so I don't have to pull the whole book out each time, is the loose leaf better than the bound version? The one thing that concerns me is, having everything dumped out and get out of order. I suppose I could punch holes in it and clip rings to it, but at that point I might as well get the bound version.

Also, if you purchase the printed version, do you also have access to the PDF? I plan on having a phone, but with a cold weather start, I want the printed version as a back up.

Thanks!

ScareBear
01-13-2017, 13:44
This reminds me of a true story...
2014 we ran into two young women who were on a thru hike...it was late April and it was somewhere a Georgia state road intersected the trail. They looked confused. After some talk, they asked where the town was. We asked what town? They said "Helen" or something like that(I'd have to look at one of the journals...).
I replied..."Oh, about 10 miles that way..." pointing down the hill of paved road.
"WHAT?!?!?!?" shrieked the girl holding...yeah...the AWOL guide....
"BUT IT SAYS RIGHT HERE THE TOWN IS ON THE TRAIL!"
I looked at the guide....omg...
The guide said "9W" or something like that, right after the description of the town....
"Ummmm....this road isn't Georgia 9W", I said...."It means the town is NINE MILES WEST OF WHERE THE ROAD INTERSECTS THE AT"...we then went on to explain that other than NOC, and then Hot Springs, NC, there was nothing intersecting the AT, by way of a town, for the next, oh...few hundred miles...
It is moments like these that you teeter on the edge of sympathy/empathy and wanting to start rolling video...
It was at that moment that the futility of their "plan" was made clear to them...I'd say it was like a lightbulb going on above their heads, but it was raining and those two would have been electrocuted...just sayin....

Water Rat
01-13-2017, 14:01
Couple questions on the guide

If I am going to plan on tear pages out so I don't have to pull the whole book out each time, is the loose leaf better than the bound version? The one thing that concerns me is, having everything dumped out and get out of order. I suppose I could punch holes in it and clip rings to it, but at that point I might as well get the bound version.

Also, if you purchase the printed version, do you also have access to the PDF? I plan on having a phone, but with a cold weather start, I want the printed version as a back up.

Thanks!

If you want the PDF version, you have to specifically purchase the pdf. You have the option of purchasing the book & pdf, the book by itself, or just the pdf. If you purchase the pdf you can always print the pages you need specifically for your trip. That way, you don't have to worry about pulling pages out of a book and getting them out of order.

When you purchase the pdf you do get multiple opportunities for download (within a specific time frame). I keep one on my laptop (for planning and printing) and one on my iPod (quick glances on trail).

jeremys
01-13-2017, 16:40
Just got notification my paper guide has shipped.

Christoph
01-13-2017, 16:56
Just to clarify for those have used both versions, is the .pdf an exact copy of the book? I'm thinking of going lighter this time around (via .pdf) and I liked the book so much, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I really want to do that or not. I know the cons like screen size and harder to read, etc... Might grab both anyway to help support being they're done very well.

Engine
01-13-2017, 18:33
Just to clarify for those have used both versions, is the .pdf an exact copy of the book? I'm thinking of going lighter this time around (via .pdf) and I liked the book so much, I'm having a hard time figuring out if I really want to do that or not. I know the cons like screen size and harder to read, etc... Might grab both anyway to help support being they're done very well. The PDF is an exact copy of the paper version, but it's definitely not as friendly on the eyes, at least on a smartphone.

Christoph
01-13-2017, 18:53
Thanks very much! I was afraid of that, I'll have to see how these old eyes will hold out. haha I'd imagine zooming in and out all the time would be a pain. I'll order both and if I leave with the .pdf only, I can leave the hard copy home so the wife can follow along. Thanks again.

shelb
01-13-2017, 22:44
The AWOL guide is the best! Fireplug offered great advise about sending drops to hostels or hotels - places that aren't under the Monday-Friday 9am-5pm restrictions... Personally, while I have only completed about 800 miles of the A.T., I have found that I didn't need to do mail drops (at this point). I feel better about not being restricted with timing to hit an area to pick up a package. Instead, I resupply at stores, convenience stores, or gas stations... some on the trail... some off the trail up to 10 miles so far... HYOH...

Drapac
01-14-2017, 08:36
Thanks for the reply!

If you want the PDF version, you have to specifically purchase the pdf. You have the option of purchasing the book & pdf, the book by itself, or just the pdf. If you purchase the pdf you can always print the pages you need specifically for your trip. That way, you don't have to worry about pulling pages out of a book and getting them out of order.

When you purchase the pdf you do get multiple opportunities for download (within a specific time frame). I keep one on my laptop (for planning and printing) and one on my iPod (quick glances on trail).

Water Rat
01-14-2017, 09:48
Thanks for the reply!

You bet!

The AT Guide is fantastic for town and planning purposes. Of course, everyone has their own preference of guides (you really can't go wrong with whatever one you end up purchasing!). You might want to also take a look at the Guthooks Hikes* App for your phone. I have found his trail maps and real-time user updates (this came in really handy for determining where the water sources were dry last year) to be extremely handy.

* Guthook Hikes now operates under the name "Atlas Guides." The AT trail app can still be looked up using just Guthook Hikes, but I wanted to clear-up the name confusion. I think his guides became far more popular than he ever thought they would be. :)

FiftyNine
01-14-2017, 12:55
Got an email yesterday (1-13) that my hard copy has shipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elaikases
01-14-2017, 13:15
I'm curious where http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1510-WhiteBlaze-Pages-2017-Appalachian-Trail-guidebook-is-off-to-the-publisher fits into the ecology of trail books.

I'll buy it (just because) to go with my AWOL and Guthook App (I have really enjoyed the app), but was curious.

Elaikases
01-14-2017, 13:23
At only $6.00 how can I not buy it, but I was curious if anyone had thoughts about it.

Engine
01-14-2017, 14:56
At only $6.00 how can I not buy it, but I was curious if anyone had thoughts about it. I knew it was coming out, but I had forgotten about it. I just placed the order...what the heck, it's the inaugural edition. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

llittle_llama
01-14-2017, 16:01
Thanks for posting up that new book :) Went ahead and ordered it myself! Probably won't read it until I get back but will be nice to have, plus supporting a fellow hiker ALWAYS nice to do :D

Oventoasted
01-19-2017, 16:14
Just got mine in the mail today! Now i have something to read for the next month im waiting to head out. :D37957

Sandy of PA
01-19-2017, 20:34
Got mine today too. Time to start planning this years LASH!

double d
01-20-2017, 14:29
Always a great resource, glad to learn that Thru-Hikers are starting to get theirs now-its a great guide-good luck!

Drapac
01-22-2017, 09:22
Just got mine this. Am I the only one that had to really pour over it for a few minutes to make sense of the layout/info?

Not meant as a knock to the book (more so to me)

Oventoasted
01-22-2017, 10:17
Just got mine this. Am I the only one that had to really pour over it for a few minutes to make sense of the layout/info?

Not meant as a knock to the book (more so to me)

im sure a lot of people do if they havent used a book like this before, like myself. it was fun and interesting reading layout of the guide. not sure what all those squiggly lines are in the background of the pages though. must be some kind of decorative pattern or almanac data.

:-?

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2017, 10:35
not sure what all those squiggly lines are in the background of the pages though. must be some kind of decorative pattern or almanac data.

:-?The elevation profile lines?

Oventoasted
01-22-2017, 21:21
The elevation profile lines?

well, i tried making a joke. o well! :D

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2017, 23:20
well, i tried making a joke. o well! :DSorry - Took it too seriously [zooming noise overhead] :D

shelb
01-23-2017, 00:00
Mine came in last week! I have already marked it up - trying to decide whether to hike in the south (Clingmans Dome north for 200 miles) or the north (NJ/NY border north for 200 miles).. in mid June...

Elaikases
01-23-2017, 09:09
Still waiting for my advance ordered 2017 to make it in the mail.

jamesfuhrman
01-24-2017, 23:02
Why do the official AT guidebooks read from north to south? Don't most hikers go south to north? Is there an alternative guide (at least for NC and TN) that reads south to north?

Cookerhiker
01-24-2017, 23:36
Those guidebooks are for all AT hikers, not just for the minority of trail users who decide to thru-hike. Section and day hikers can go either direction.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

lesliedgray
01-25-2017, 09:51
How much difference is there from the 2016 and the 2017 books? I just bought one a short while ago when i started getting serious about preparing for a hike.. not that the price of the 2017 is much of a deterrent, but is there REALLY going to be much difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk