PDA

View Full Version : McAfee Knob

medicjenn76
09-20-2016, 21:15
Wondering if anyone has information how the water is or if there is any close to the McAfee area and shelters there. Wanting to do an overnight there this up coming week...

Christoph
09-20-2016, 22:46
Just finished a section this last weekend around that area. Campbell shelter, .2 away is barely flowing, but we managed to fill up there with a little work. Very small spot, but still trickling. John Spring Shelter has a few little spots but frogs were jumping in as we walked up. Very small spot but trickling as well if you don't mind filtered frog water. Deer in the area using it as well. Not sure on the Catawba Shelter. People were leaving jugs of water in the shelters but I wouldn't rely on that alone, they were mostly empty when we got there.

V Eight
09-21-2016, 10:33
We did get a nice rain on Sunday & Monday. That should help some.
Have a great hike.

V8

Gambit McCrae
09-21-2016, 10:39
Water is available, just don't pass up a source

CalebJ
09-21-2016, 10:52
We did get a nice rain on Sunday & Monday. That should help some.
Have a great hike.

V8
Tell me about it. I woke up Monday morning to the horror of having left my windows down. Standing water in my truck.

Runsalone
09-24-2016, 14:53
Just finishedbthat bit. The two shelters a mile apart before mcafee are dry. Pig farm campsite/shelter has trickle/mudslick but its disgusting. Last shelter before daleville has low slow flow. But gettable.

V Eight
09-25-2016, 08:02
Just finishedbthat bit. The two shelters a mile apart before mcafee are dry. Pig farm campsite/shelter has trickle/mudslick but its disgusting. Last shelter before daleville has low slow flow. But gettable.

Thanks for the water report. Later today I'm headed over that way with some water jugs.
How did you like that section?

V8

Runsalone
09-26-2016, 08:32
Thanks for the water report. Later today I'm headed over that way with some water jugs.
How did you like that section?

V8

Mcafee and tinker views were amazing! Even though I took wrong turn before the cliffs and wound up walking around the entire down hill side of them lol! Had to backtrack SoBo to the views. After the last few days of the trail being really tight and veg'd up it was nice to walk in the open on this well traveled portion.

Hopefully well get a good solid rain today that will recharge the water sources. Everybody carry extra for sure and plan your water stops at low elevation from reliable sources if ya can.

peakseeker
09-29-2016, 10:32
Heading there this weekend. Any idea on water say DAleVille
up to James River? Also elevation of this 75 mile section?