PDA

View Full Version : Hikers missing the real world

Heliotrope
09-21-2016, 10:06
Imagine the shock coming off the trail only to find out that Brad and Angelina are breaking up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
09-21-2016, 10:14
I may have to go back to the trail just to deal with this news!

Greenlight
09-21-2016, 10:27
If Brangelina had hiked more often, it'd prolly still be together.

evyck da fleet
09-21-2016, 11:02
In 2012 the only real world news anyone felt compelled to tell me while I was hiking was that one of the Beastie Boys had died and there was a shooting in a Colorado movie theatre.

Uncle Joe
09-21-2016, 11:16
Anything short of a death in the family, the assignation of the president, or thermo-nuclear war is TMI if I'm on the trail.

rocketsocks
09-21-2016, 11:18
I haven't been this distraught since the Doobie Brothers broke up.

rocketsocks
09-21-2016, 11:20
I guess this means Brads available...he's dreamy!

Traveler
09-22-2016, 06:38
I could barely choke down my pizza I was so upset with this news.

chknfngrs
09-22-2016, 06:51
The trail provides....

Don H
09-22-2016, 07:28
Remember getting the news that Bin Laden had been killed. We were up on the ridge just south of Daleville when one of our group got a cell signal and called home.

peakbagger
09-22-2016, 08:19
Back in 2001 we met a couple of hikers who were on the trail down September 11th, they didn't know about it until a couple of weekenders told them.

Praha4
09-22-2016, 09:47
several thru hikers told me last week in VA they are doing the hike to escape the news....and this year's Presidential election

Dogwood
09-22-2016, 11:48

In the mid 2000's as I was huffing, puffing, and methodically creeping up to Forester Pass on the JMT two men one in a full scruffy beard one with newer high end expensive gear came up behind me talking about eco touring in rather some outlandish IMO expensive off the beaten track hoity toity locations. One of the voices sounded strangely familiar. They politely passed still talking and saying thank you while nodding. I said to the scruffy bearded guy "do I know you, you sound and look familiar?' He was also as tall as me at 6'4". He didn't say a word as his hiking partner had that sly look of knowing something I didn't but was mum. When I met them atop the pass I said to the scruffy bearded one, "you remind me of Ben Affleck, you could be his double." He smiled and both men laughed. Scruffy bearded one said, "well, that's good because I hear he's a dreamboat." Then we all laughed as that was JLo's pet name for him. They had already parted ways though. It was Ben Affleck incognito doing a JMT hike. We all respected each other's hike and pursuit of solitude and Nature as Ben asked.

eabyrd1506
09-22-2016, 16:12
hold on, the Doobies broke up?

rocketsocks
09-22-2016, 18:13
In the mid 2000's as I was huffing, puffing, and methodically creeping up to Forester Pass on the JMT two men one in a full scruffy beard one with newer high end expensive gear came up behind me talking about eco touring in rather some outlandish IMO expensive off the beaten track hoity toity locations. One of the voices sounded strangely familiar. They politely passed still talking and saying thank you while nodding. I said to the scruffy bearded guy "do I know you, you sound and look familiar?' He was also as tall as me at 6'4". He didn't say a word as his hiking partner had that sly look of knowing something I didn't but was mum. When I met them atop the pass I said to the scruffy bearded one, "you remind me of Ben Affleck, you could be his double." He smiled and both men laughed. Scruffy bearded one said, "well, that's good because I hear he's a dreamboat." Then we all laughed as that was JLo's pet name for him. They had already parted ways though. It was Ben Affleck incognito doing a JMT hike. We all respected each other's hike and pursuit of solitude and Nature as Ben asked.awe man, I'd have blown him...his cover that is. ARGhO :D

rocketsocks
09-22-2016, 18:14
hold on, the Doobies broke up?i know, it just ain't right!

BonBon
09-22-2016, 18:17
I'll arm wrestle you for him!
For me the strangest stuff was the emerging political candidates. Still strange, now that I think about it.

Bronk
09-22-2016, 18:18
Even though I already live off grid, I like to completely unplug several times a year. When I go on vacation, I don't check email or facebook or use my cell phone. I find it very liberating to cut the umbilical cord and not know or care what the rest of the world is doing. Most of the time I come back and don't notice that I missed anything.

eabyrd1506
09-22-2016, 21:18
Used to be able do that on Hatteras Island but then word got out and now I wouldn't go within 100 miles of the place. I remember growing up there we would go over the dunes and you could look left then right and not see another person. Back the truck in and spend the day with nobody stopping buy but a ranger.

Now it's just another over-run place for yankees to get stuck in the sand and pull up the sea oats.

Maydog
09-23-2016, 06:53
I think it's the non-hikers missing the real world.

illabelle
09-23-2016, 07:36
I think it's the non-hikers missing the real world.

^There you go! Exactly.

tiptoe
09-23-2016, 12:06
I just returned from a month-long section on the toughest part of the trail: Imp Shelter (NH) to Caratunk (ME). Yes, I'm old and slow, but I had a marvelous time doing mostly short-mileage days, enjoying the gorgeous views and hammocking at nice locations. I arrived home around 6 p.m. yesterday. Already I have dealt with the following: a death-defying walk of under two miles from the train station to my house, with speeding cars encroaching on my road-shoulder space; a nasty bottom-feeding credit-card shark wondering why I was 16 days late paying a bill (he had phoned maybe 25 times during my hike); pledge drive harangues on my local NPR station; and of course, a barrage of political emails (send money or the world will come to an end) and blippy news coverage. All irritating, but I will adapt.

One of the highlight of my trip was hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons. Here at home, we have to deal with a different sort of loons, don't we?

Venchka
09-23-2016, 13:02
hold on, the Doobies broke up?

I guess you missed "Romancing the Stone".
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

dudeijuststarted
09-23-2016, 13:06
Angelina and Brad split up? I'd hit it. Which one? Probably both. It is Brad Pitt after all, it might get me chicks. Maybe even Angelina out of jealousy.

...I think I have a plan for 2017.

dudeijuststarted
09-23-2016, 13:08
One of the highlight of my trip was hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons.

I want my corpse thrown in Sabbath Day pond. Before or after my final breath, doesn't matter.

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2016, 13:54
One of the highlight of my trip was hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons. Here at home, we have to deal with a different sort of loons, don't we?

We certainly do here in Connecticut!

Bearleg
09-27-2016, 13:29
What, Doobie Brothers broke up?

atraildreamer
09-27-2016, 17:39
...hearing the clear, mournful cry of loons.

Heard them last night during the debate! :eek:

Two more upcoming chances to hear them. :eek: :eek:

Time would be better spent going on a hike! :rolleyes: :)

tiptoe
09-27-2016, 18:43
Heard them last night during the debate!

Yes, I watched the darn thing, too. Stayed up way past hiker midnight to do it, too. Maybe if DT gets in, he'll raze the firetower base and build a hotel on Avery Peak.

Hikingjim
09-27-2016, 23:31
Imagine the shock coming off the trail only to find out that Brad and Angelina are breaking up!

there was no surprise. word spreads quickly, and 99% of hikers took 1-2 zero days to try and recover from the news

Heliotrope
09-28-2016, 13:09
there was no surprise. word spreads quickly, and 99% of hikers took 1-2 zero days to try and recover from the news

Very funny!

I was at Shaws hiker hostel over the weekend and minutes after I arrived I heard one through hiker asking other through hikers if they had heard about bradjolina breaking up! Apparently it's really upset many people [emoji3]

eabyrd1506
09-28-2016, 13:55
OK I'm still trying to get over the news about the Doobie Bros but I gotta ask, what's a bradjolina and how did it break? Was it a structural failure or user error?

Venchka
09-28-2016, 14:44
OK I'm still trying to get over the news about the Doobie Bros but I gotta ask, what's a bradjolina and how did it break? Was it a structural failure or user error?

Operator error? [emoji102][emoji12]
Wayne

Tipi Walter
09-28-2016, 15:26
Anything short of a death in the family, the assignation of the president, or thermo-nuclear war is TMI if I'm on the trail.

I'm still trying to figure out what "assignation of the president" means. I had a great post on this subject (and funny too) which was deleted by some unknown hand.

Remember the days when a post would get erased but instead of disappearing it said "Deleted due to Inappropriate Content."?? Now it's completely banished. I miss those days.

Don H
09-29-2016, 06:47
Back in 2001 we met a couple of hikers who were on the trail down September 11th, they didn't know about it until a couple of weekenders told them.

I wonder what the hikers thought that day who were on the ridge in NY where you can see the NY skyline?

tiptoe
09-29-2016, 10:41
I remember that day. Here in Connecticut, it was cloudless, with just a hint of fall. As I drove to work, I kicked myself for not taking the day off to head for the hills. Had I gone for a hike that day, I very likely would have been under the flight path of the plane.

Odd Man Out
09-29-2016, 11:02

Imagine my family's shock that when I come off the trail they find out that I don't give a rat's a$$ about Brand and Angelina breaking up!

But reflecting back on my life, I went to college in the late 70's (pre-internet). For four years I didn't routinely watch TV, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper. Somehow the world survived my neglect.

RockDoc
09-29-2016, 11:22
No, no, no my friends, you have it wrong.

The hiking world is the real world.

The technological world is increasingly fake, virtual, digital, imagined, contrived...

eabyrd1506
09-29-2016, 12:16
No, no, no my friends, you have it wrong.

The hiking world is the real world.

The technological world is increasingly fake, virtual, digital, imagined, contrived...

Amen to that. + a million

3_dogs
09-29-2016, 12:33
Remember the days when a post would get erased but instead of disappearing it said "Deleted due to Inappropriate Content."?? Now it's completely banished. I miss those days.

When I want to write something inappropriate I simply post "[Censored]".