PDA

View Full Version : no cook meals

backtrack213
09-22-2016, 09:39
Can someone explain to me in more detail no cook. If i was to hydrate lentils or rice and beans while hiking what is the best method to do so?

hikernutcasey
09-22-2016, 09:51
Can someone explain to me in more detail no cook. If i was to hydrate lentils or rice and beans while hiking what is the best method to do so?If all you are doing is re-hydrating then all you need is a stove and pot to boil water. As far as the best? Ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers. Some use Jetboils, some use pocket rocket style stoves and some use alcohol stoves. Each have their advantages and disadvantages, you will just need to do a little research to see what will work best for you but all accomplish the same thing.

Odd Man Out
09-22-2016, 10:29
There were several articles recently about quick cook pasta you might find interesting. This method is based on the observation that in the traditional method of cooking pasta (boil for 10 minutes or so), most of the time was spent rehydrating the pasta which is more rapid in hot water, but doesn't require hot water. So what they did was to pre-soak the pasta in water (I've seen 90 min to all day). The rehydrated pasta will then cook in just 60 seconds of boiling. However the cooking was necessary. The soaked pasta, while soft, had a strange taste and texture that was "fixed" by the short boiling time.

JEBjr
09-22-2016, 10:57
This year I have gone stove less on all my hikes. Cereal or bars for breakfast. When I leave camp I put my dehydrated beans (either refried or pintos) into a container and cover them with water. They soak as I hike. By lunch time they are ready to eat. After lunch, I add more dehydrated beans and water to the container and my supper begins to rehydrate. I hope this helps.

I have done vegetarian chili which is spicy. The spice makes it seem as if it is a warm meal. I normally bring a bag of this in case I am feeling cold.

I don't trust myself dehydrating meat so all my home made meals are vegetarian and I eat meat when I get to town.

chknfngrs
09-22-2016, 11:04
To me, a no-cook meal consists of something I can eat immediately and without any advance preparation. Pop Tarts. Tortillas with PB and Oreos. Chips. Pork Rinds. Lentils and beans and legumes aren't on my radar as foods to eat when hiking, but it seems all you'd need is a bag and some water and you can soak them on the go easily.

nsherry61
09-22-2016, 12:22
. . . Lentils and beans and legumes aren't on my radar as foods to eat when hiking, but it seems all you'd need is a bag and some water and you can soak them on the go easily.
As long as they are precooked and dried. They will never cook or completely rehydrate by just soaking.

JEBjr
09-22-2016, 13:24
That is not my experience with rehydrating beans while hiking. My pinto beans taste pretty much like they did before I dehydrated them. Maybe you need to use more water to soak them in or soak longer. 3 hours normally works for me. They would rehydrate quicker with hot water but then I would have to haul a stove and fuel.

hikernutcasey
09-22-2016, 13:37
Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. I guess I shouldn't knock it before trying it but eating cold re-hydrated food sounds pretty gross. And aren't you carrying extra water weight while hiking if it's hydrating your food? For the weight you would save by not doing that couldn't you carry a small stove and pot?

nsherry61
09-22-2016, 14:06
. . . For the weight you would save by not doing that couldn't you carry a small stove and pot?
A perfect and somewhat unanswerable question.

If my cooking kit weighs 1 lb and I carry 1 lb (~2 cups) of water to reconstitute my dinner for 1/2 a day, then going no-cook saves weight.
If I am hiking in dry conditions and I have to carry water either in a bottle or in the process of reconstituting my food, there is no added no-cook water weight, so again, going no-cook saves weight.

However, if I am in an area with water frequently available, so I am not carrying water for my meal already anyway, and/or my cook kit weighs less than the water I want to carry for my next meal, the going no-cook is heavier than cooking.

In the end, it is uncommon to have one's cook kit plus total weigh of fuel carried be less than a cup or two of water. So, there is probably, most often, at least some weight savings on average by going no-cook. Going no-cook also has an added simplicity to it that has an appeal to some people even if the weight savings is small or non-existent.

On the other hand, personally, especially on longer trips, I like the added food options provided by including the ability to cook. But, it is fun for a few days, at times, to just not mess with that fire thing at all. There are lots of past threads on this site worth reading over that provide all kinds of good no-cook meal ideas.

KidA24
09-22-2016, 15:55
Weight isn't the only reason to carry or not carry something.
There is something to be said for convenience.
I don't mind cold food on a hot summer night, and re-hydrating couscous throwing in some tuna (or chicken) and chowing down is way quicker, and easier than setting up a stove, and boiling water :)

garlic08
09-22-2016, 16:02
Good answer by Nsherry61 above (as usual). I'll add that the pack feels extra nice as you walk into town empty--no food, no fuel or container, no stove or windscreen. And it's nice not to have to look for fuel when resupplying.

Back to topic, I'll stress that it's impossible to hydrate beans and rice off the grocery shelf while hiking. Corn grits don't work either, nor do steel cut oats. Rolled oats work great, as do instant mashed potatoes, instant refried beans (go great with corn chips), hummus, couscous, and Ramen noodles (already fried). Otherwise, to make no cook meals work well, I find it's best to forget about traditional "meals" while hiking. I just load my pack with food I can eat any time, and I stop every two hours and eat something, sometimes five or six "meals" a day.

Tortillas and cheese and/or peanut butter are a good staple, as is muesli made with rolled oats, walnuts, and raisins. I don't carry bars, or anything individually wrapped.

I've been hiking stoveless since my 2004 PCT hike, including thru hikes of the CDT, AT, AZT, PNT, and others. My hiking got better when I left the stove at home. I think it's a great way to go.

nsherry61
09-22-2016, 16:35
. . . Rolled oats work great, as do instant mashed potatoes, instant refried beans (go great with corn chips), hummus, couscous, and Ramen noodles (already fried). . . Tortillas and cheese and/or peanut butter are a good staple, as is muesli made with rolled oats, walnuts, and raisins. I don't carry bars, or anything individually wrapped. . .
This may really be the most helpful answer to the OP. . . A great list of staples and strategies to make no-cook work.

I've also found that instant rice can work pretty well. I often make meals by mixing in my night's choice of starch, "instant mashed potatoes, instant refried beans (go great with corn chips), hummus, couscous, and Ramen noodles", or rice with whatever shelf stable meat I want (foil pack tuna, smoked salmon, dry salami, jerky or whatever) along with some dried or freeze-dried vegetables for a pretty balanced dinner. The vegetables do best when soaked for a while to get good rehydration, the meat needs nothing, and depending on the starch you use, it can be almost instant with potatoes or 20 minutes to an hour for instant rice depending on brown or white rice and depending on how soft you want it.

I encourage playing around at home. It's fun and informative. Pick up the starch(es) and meat(s) of your choice the next time you're at the store. If you have a food drier, dry some vegetables or pick up a pack of "Just Vegetables" freeze-dried veggie snacks from one of the few grocery stores that sell them, or from REI, or from on-line. I have also experimented with couscous "salad" on the trail by adding some dressing to the cold mix, or even adding other flavor packets you can get from your favorite grocery store to make it taste like curry, or teriyaki, or turkey gravy or whatever your pallet enjoys the most when you are eating cold or luke-warm food.

10-K
09-22-2016, 21:20
Instant white rice soaked in an old school 32oz Gatorade bottle is pretty versatile. You can do a lot with rice - sweeten it, spice it up, mix it with a variety of different ingredients, make wraps, etc. I drink the starchy water out of the bottle instead of draining it on the ground... something tells me it's probably good for me but who knows... :)

p.s. instant brown rice never quite gets the right texture.

jjozgrunt
09-22-2016, 21:57
I've just never understood the no cook idea. I like to have at least one hot meal at the end of the day and in colder temperatures one for breakfast as well. Probably only psychological but if it makes you feel good why not. I use a Etbit and Cone both TI and together only 54 grams and fuel wt goes down with every meal.

But if no cook meals are what you are after you could look at what is offered by PackIt Gourmet http://www.packitgourmet.com/Lunch.html , a lot of these meals are designed to be eaten cold and I've eaten most of them. You could make up your own versions with yours and/or bought ingredients (especially the freeze dried meats).

rocketsocks
09-22-2016, 22:25
I've just never understood the no cook idea. I like to have at least one hot meal at the end of the day and in colder temperatures one for breakfast as well. Probably only psychological but if it makes you feel good why not. I use a Etbit and Cone both TI and together only 54 grams and fuel wt goes down with every meal.

But if no cook meals are what you are after you could look at what is offered by PackIt Gourmet http://www.packitgourmet.com/Lunch.html , a lot of these meals are designed to be eaten cold and I've eaten most of them. You could make up your own versions with yours and/or bought ingredients (especially the freeze dried meats).
I hear ya! I could only eat so much vishiswa...and soup is good food.

Deacon
09-23-2016, 06:56

Agree. Nuts, peanut butter, muesli, cheese all day every day? No thank you. I prefer hot beef, pork, shrimp, or chicken, and potatoes for supper. Those other items are fine during the day, but at the end of the day, i need a hot home cooked meal.

I've bought an Excalibur nine tray dehydrator that allows me to let such meals go dormant until I bring them back to life with near boiling water.

jjozgrunt
09-23-2016, 08:43
Agree. Nuts, peanut butter, muesli, cheese all day every day? No thank you. I prefer hot beef, pork, shrimp, or chicken, and potatoes for supper. Those other items are fine during the day, but at the end of the day, i need a hot home cooked meal.

I've bought an Excalibur nine tray dehydrator that allows me to let such meals go dormant until I bring them back to life with near boiling water.

I have the same dehydrator here in Oz, but unfortunately I'm going to have to rely on purchases online or in stores there next year rather than do my own. That's one of the reasons I've been trying out the various brands of dehydrated/freeze dried meals from over there. By far the best I've had is Packit Gourmet, mainly natural with few additives. Won't be having them for every meal as it gets a bit expensive, but will be my go to brand.

10-K
09-23-2016, 08:53
I have more than one pack, more than one shelter, more than 1 sleeping bag/quit, etc. When I plan a hike I consider where I'm going and choose my gear accordingly.

Sometimes I go no-cook, other times I carry a stove. It's really nice to have options and not be locked into a particular mindset one way or the other. It's good to know more than 1 way of doing things.

hikernutcasey
09-23-2016, 09:15
I have more than one pack, more than one shelter, more than 1 sleeping bag/quit, etc. When I plan a hike I consider where I'm going and choose my gear accordingly.

Sometimes I go no-cook, other times I carry a stove. It's really nice to have options and not be locked into a particular mindset one way or the other. It's good to know more than 1 way of doing things.I think this is right and this is another one of those things that just "boils" down to personal preference - see what I did there :)

I also think it comes down to what type of hiking you are doing. I am only able to get out on the trail 3 or 4 times a year for a week or less at a time so I tend to want to have a good hot meal and I don't mind carrying the weight. I'm sure I might have to reconsider some things if resupplying entered into the equation. HYOH and enjoy with whatever works best for you.

Deacon
09-23-2016, 19:20
I have the same dehydrator here in Oz, but unfortunately I'm going to have to rely on purchases online or in stores there next year rather than do my own. That's one of the reasons I've been trying out the various brands of dehydrated/freeze dried meals from over there. By far the best I've had is Packit Gourmet, mainly natural with few additives. Won't be having them for every meal as it gets a bit expensive, but will be my go to brand.

Pack-it gourmet is very good, and I've found Hawk Vittles to be excellent as well. Their Hot Italian Sausage & Pasta is great.

jjozgrunt
09-24-2016, 08:23
Pack-it gourmet is very good, and I've found Hawk Vittles to be excellent as well. Their Hot Italian Sausage & Pasta is great.

Thanks for that I am going to order some of their meals and get them sent to my shipitto address so I can try them. They certainly look good and buying double portions mean less packaging and weight. Have you tried their breakfast meals? I get sick of oats for breakfast.

nsherry61
09-24-2016, 08:37
. . . I get sick of oats for breakfast.
Pop Tarts
Cliff Bars or any of a zillion other bars
Bagels and cheese/meat
Granola with Nido
Fruit-loops with Nido, lucky charms with Nido, or any other cerial you like with Nido or Milkman powdered milks
Your buddies scrambled eggs and bacon so he/she cooks, but you don't
Instant rice (soaked overnight in cold water) with brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins (and or other dried fruit) and Nido
Fruit smoothy . . . oh yeah, you'd need an outlet to plug in your blender. . . so I guess a handful of dried fruit would have to do.

I'm kinda having fun. What other good no-cook breakfast ideas can people come up with?

Sandy of PA
09-24-2016, 09:17
Single size spam with hard boiled eggs and a couple of prunes. If it is too hot to carry boiled eggs just eat more Spam! Spam and cheese. Fig Newtons and beef jerky. Dark chocolate bar and summer sausage. I never cook breakfast on the trail.

jjozgrunt
09-24-2016, 09:33
Pop Tarts
Cliff Bars or any of a zillion other bars
Bagels and cheese/meat
Granola with Nido
Fruit-loops with Nido, lucky charms with Nido, or any other cerial you like with Nido or Milkman powdered milks
Your buddies scrambled eggs and bacon so he/she cooks, but you don't
Instant rice (soaked overnight in cold water) with brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins (and or other dried fruit) and Nido
Fruit smoothy . . . oh yeah, you'd need an outlet to plug in your blender. . . so I guess a handful of dried fruit would have to do.

I'm kinda having fun. What other good no-cook breakfast ideas can people come up with?

Okay funny, I'm coming for a 150 day through hike.
Pop tarts - unless they are totally different from the cr%p they serve here never.
Clif bars etc I eat during the day.
Bagels cheese and meat, do people really carry these except for the first meal out of town.
Hate powered milk so that rules out all those cereals although I have been known to eat a couple of types dry whilst walking.
Going solo - anyone want to cook some bacon and eggs for me feel free to let me know where to meet you
Rice for breakky - pass
Smoothies I love - every shelter should have one, or they need to develop an UL version that runs on mAh batteries. I am going to try those breakfast drinks though.

I'm an early riser usually walking by 6am at the latest. Quick breakfast or if it's still dark a snack and then stop for breakfast later. Love a brew, rooibos tea (no caffeine) with lemon crystals and sugar, and I do actually love the different flavoured oats usually 2-3 pkts with just hot water.

nsherry61
09-24-2016, 09:46
. . . I am going to try those breakfast drinks though.
I didn't even think about that. Powdered breakfast drinks like "Instant Breakfast" might be good, kinda like liquid pop-tarts? :-?
I know of people that include Hammer Perpetuem as part of their breakfast. Never tried it, but it is a good endurance food if not really a healthy breakfast.

As for Cliff bars, save one or two flavors for breakfast that you don't eat during the day? Or find a bar that isn't Cliff that you think fits your taste for breakfast.

Have you ever tried rice as breakfast cereal? You might be surprised.

I also hate powdered milk, EXCEPT, Nido and Milkman will surprise you if you haven't tried them. Another trick that turns disgusting powdered milk into something surprisingly edible (if you don't have access to Nido or Milkman) is to add coffee creamer to regular skim powdered milk. Really, it works surprisingly well. I'd have never believed it until I tried it.

ARambler
09-24-2016, 18:30
So, we have learned that No Cook is no problem if:
1). You cook with hot water.
2) you consider it discusting and cook.
3) If you gave one of the first two responses maybe you can get your still beating heart down your throat.
4) if you like me do not condone cannibalizm (that peach dress was entrapment why else do they name it after a food?) I see three strategies
a). More lunches. Pop tarts, lil Deb brownies w/wo peanut butter in a tortilla, etc.
b) fresh food out of town and hit town a lot. So sandwich for dinner and muffin w Mt Dew in the morning.
C). Easy to rehydrate meals. I come from mostly freeze dried. I find the rice and chicken rehydrates quickly.
Sadly the MH chicken salad has been discontinued and I'm not a big fan of the others salads I have tried.
Raman can be crushed and poured into a peanut butter jar. Don't forget to drink extra water.
D). My best lead for no cook is condiments especially mayo. I use
this off brand because it does not have eggs. I will switch to individual packets which are lighter and have less waste. Mayo turns cold mashed potatoes into potato salad. Add walnuts and Craisens Parm. Hot pepper olive oil etc to mashed, rice and chicken etc
E) never eat Whiteblazers on the Sabbath. .

jj dont play
09-24-2016, 18:43
I went no cook at HF simply because I didn't like the hassle of cooking, having to get extra water etc. And it provided the bonus of lighting up my pack some.
If you wanted to re-hydrate foods, just add water in the am and let soak while you hike, keep in mind it still may not hydrate fully. I tried this a little bit at the beginning but didnt work for me.
What worked for me:
Breakfast: 2-3 Oatmeal packets just pour straight in my mouth then took a swig of water. I actual enjoyed the taste of the Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal this way. Followed with a poptart, honey bun, or protein bar.
Lunch: Tortillas (later switched to bagels/english muffins due to them being more filling) with sharp cheddar, humus, and pepperoni or salami
Snacks: Nuts, Protein Bars, High calorie pastries like Whoopie pies, Danishes, etc. Candy (Swedish fish, Sour Patch Kids, Dark Chocolate, Gummy Bears)
Supper: Same as Lunch
Boiled eggs when I was able to boil them in town, didn't get to carry them too much but were by my best.

Nothing fancy I was just trying to fill fueled and shift the focus away from having to have some enjoyable meal experience, that's what town is for.

DLP
09-25-2016, 17:01
I just got back from an 8 day stove-less trip.

I'm not sure that stove-less saves me THAT much weight. But I do like a meal that is ready to eat and I don't like messing with a stove, especially when it is windy.

I took for Breakfast:
Homemade musilie and Nido milk
Medaglia D'Oro brand coffee (dissolves well in cold water) and Nido

Lunch:
4 servings of home dehydrated spaghetti and a container of Buitoni Pesto.
4 servings Santa Fe brand dehydrated refried beans, Minute brown rice, Taco Bell or McDonald's salsa, True Lime (from Minmus), and Fritos corn chips (pulse in food processor if using a bear can).

Dinner: Tortillas and cheese, mayo, mustard.
Tortillas and P&J

Snack: dried fruit and nuts and licorice. 😀

DLP
09-25-2016, 17:17
If you wanted to re-hydrate foods, just add water in the am and let soak while you hike, keep in mind it still may not hydrate fully. I don't like washing dishes on the trail- or at home, really, for that matter. :)

I ate breakfast out of my container and rinsed it with some drinking water. I added the lunch food to be rehydrated with 4ish oz of water to the "dirty" container. Then I'd wash the container for real after lunch.

I only had one day when lunch needed another 60-90 minutes of soaking/hiking time.

RangerZ
09-25-2016, 18:43
Single size spam with hard boiled eggs and a couple of prunes. If it is too hot to carry boiled eggs just eat more Spam! Spam and cheese. Fig Newtons and beef jerky. Dark chocolate bar and summer sausage. I never cook breakfast on the trail.

Spam plus anything. Spam and eggs, spambalya, spamgetti, the list is endless. (Some of my NOLA friends disagree about spambalya.)

No prunes though.

jaymann
09-25-2016, 20:50
I didn't even think about that. Powdered breakfast drinks like "Instant Breakfast" might be good, kinda like liquid pop-tarts? :-?
I know of people that include Hammer Perpetuem as part of their breakfast. Never tried it, but it is a good endurance food if not really a healthy breakfast.

As for Cliff bars, save one or two flavors for breakfast that you don't eat during the day? Or find a bar that isn't Cliff that you think fits your taste for breakfast.

Have you ever tried rice as breakfast cereal? You might be surprised.

I also hate powdered milk, EXCEPT, Nido and Milkman will surprise you if you haven't tried them. Another trick that turns disgusting powdered milk into something surprisingly edible (if you don't have access to Nido or Milkman) is to add coffee creamer to regular skim powdered milk. Really, it works surprisingly well. I'd have never believed it until I tried it.
Yes, rice is great for breakfast. I like to add some powdered coffee creamer, nutmeg or cinnamon, and a touch of brown sugar. Rice is very versatile, it works for all three meals.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

garlic08
09-26-2016, 09:35
I just got back from an 8 day stove-less trip.

I'm not sure that stove-less saves me THAT much weight. But I do like a meal that is ready to eat and I don't like messing with a stove, especially when it is windy....

First time stoveless?

I agree with your weight observation--on day one. But on the last day, it's lighter for sure.

Great observation about being able to eat any time in harsh conditions. Going stoveless ended the arguments my wife and I would have about whose turn it was to cook out in the rain and wind. Our meals that needed cooking always seemed to get saved to the end of the resupply.

Stove/fuel failures are relatively rare, but it's also nice to have plenty to eat just in case.

Dogwood
09-26-2016, 13:37
Powdered cow's milk pales in comparison as far as taste and fat content to Native Forest POWDERED COCONUT MILK. Best tasting without so much of the garbage or added sugar contained in some other brands. The coconut flavor is really intensified with their drying process. It's non GMO and Vegan too. Yes, Vegan can be delish.

https://thrivemarket.com/native-forest-vegan-coconut-milk-powder?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=Native%20Forest&utm_content=043182001014&gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFWnO4b2NeD yCTEcpQb7HYmJ3ueYtRD5M0VDlkPbD1oFRoCqGbw_wcB

Dogwood
09-26-2016, 13:41
Yes, rice is great for breakfast. I like to add some powdered coffee creamer, nutmeg or cinnamon, and a touch of brown sugar. Rice is very versatile, it works for all three meals.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Try the Native Forest Powdered Coconut Milk instead of powdered artificial coffee creamer. Might try tweaking your recipe with a dash of clove, crystalized ginger, and turmeric with the cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Pumpkin spice which has most of these ingredients is nice too with coconut milk and turmeric.

Dogwood
09-26-2016, 13:51
On weekend outings or when knowing resupply options are very frequent(because I'm concerned with hauling wet food wt) I don't sweat the wt by bringing along Tasty Bites pre cooked meals that only need warming but which I'll eat at room temp. The Bombay or Madras Lentils or Punjab eggplant at room temp over already cooked Tasty Bites rice is fine for a no cook tasty meal.

http://tastybite.com/product_type/indian-entrees/

DLP
09-26-2016, 17:11
First time stoveless? First time was last summer. I spent three months, April- June, taking care of my 80-something year old parents. I'd gained 10 lbs living the lifestyle of an elderly Alzheimer patient. :)

I got on the scale with 9 days of food in a black Garcia bear can and my extra 10 lbs of body fat. Was horrified at the scale number and the punishment my poor feet and knees would take, carrying that load.

Jettisoned as much as possible - including stove, fuel canister and quite a bit of food.

I hit several days of rain that trip and was so very happy not to have to cook. It was surprising that the day I thought I'd want a hot meal most... I was most glad to be stoveless. I missed a stove, and hot coffee one morning for all of 5 minutes out of the 9 days.

garlic08
09-26-2016, 17:28
...It was surprising that the day I thought I'd want a hot meal most... I was most glad to be stoveless...

You experienced something many people never will.

I felt the same recently, thoroughly enjoying watching the snow fly over the tundra above treeline near Mt Assinboine in BC (maybe the same storm system?), snacking on hummus and crackers. I thought of other trips sitting outside cooking in those conditions, trying to make a wind block with my pack, nearly knocking the stove over and burning the pack, with a growing stupid resentment of my spouse sitting in the warm tent.

nsherry61
09-26-2016, 17:43
. . . I thought of other trips sitting outside cooking in those conditions, trying to make a wind block with my pack, nearly knocking the stove over and burning the pack, with a growing stupid resentment of my spouse sitting in the warm tent.

I'm telling you, you guys really need to learn to tarp camp!

Then you get to lay in bed watching, hearing and smelling the storm, even feeling it a little bit when an occasional gust blows a light mist through your shelter. In the morning you wake up, roll over, start your stove, lay back down while you're waiting for you water to heat, make some coffee or a mocha, then sit, wrapped in your bag/quilt sipping you hot drink while cooking your hot breakfast next to you under your tarp, all while the weather is blowing and howling a few inches away. . . buy the way, you can do this same thing with a hammock and tarp if you're pitched close enough to the ground and/or have long enough arms.

DLP
09-26-2016, 18:10
I'm telling you, you guys really need to learn to tarp camp!

Then you get to lay in bed watching, hearing and smelling the storm, even feeling it a little bit when an occasional gust blows a light mist through your shelter. In the morning you wake up, roll over, start your stove, lay back down while you're waiting for you water to heat, make some coffee or a mocha, then sit, wrapped in your bag/quilt... I'm a disaster waiting to happen. I just see myself knocking food and fire and boiling liquids over. (Been there, done that with a pot of boiling Mac and cheese like 12 years ago.) Best case, I only spill mocha on my sleeping bag and have to stay awake all night watching the 3 bears outside the tarp. Worst case, I burn down the forest; spend time in jail (after getting out of the hospital); pay $$$$$ in fines and THEN have to read WhiteBlaze posts about what an idiot I am. :). I can't imagine combining fire and all that nylon and it working out well for me. :)

DLP
09-26-2016, 18:43
I thought of other trips sitting outside cooking in those conditions, trying to make a wind block with my pack, nearly knocking the stove over and burning the pack, with a growing stupid resentment of my spouse sitting in the warm tent. My husband only comes out 2 days a year. :(

The thing that causes me the most anxiety is wind. It is agony to watch the stove inefficiently sputtering away and burning up the fuel. And like you said, using rocks, packs and your body as a (often/mostly useless) wind shield.

I have thought of using a Jet Boil because I could get a LOT of uncooked spaghetti calories in the smaller bear can. But ughhhh, the thought of cooking (and cleaning) every night! So much easier to slap some mayo, mustard and a slice of cheese onto a tortilla and be done with it!

garlic08
09-27-2016, 07:17
...I have thought of using a Jet Boil because I could get a LOT of uncooked spaghetti calories in the smaller bear can....

My solution to calorie density is nut butter, lots of it. On tortillas, on crackers, on celery, right out of the jar on a spoon. It satisfies like ice cream.

garlic08
09-27-2016, 07:25
I'm a disaster waiting to happen. I just see myself knocking food and fire and boiling liquids over....

Stove safety is one of the reasons I starting hiking stoveless. I witnessed four stove accidents on my PCT hike--two were close calls, the other two ended hikes. One of those was a bad scald, and the other was a non-injury fire closing the trail for a couple of days. (I know, I was the $hit magnet on that trail.)

egilbe
09-27-2016, 07:38
I think you guys spend too much time worrying about cleaning your cooking pot. It doesn't have to be perfectly clean. You are only going 10-12 hours before you're boiling water in it again.

I like my hot, morning coffee.