PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Mariposa or Osprey Atmos 65 AG?

mikewagus
09-22-2016, 17:53
I'm new to backpacking and looking for some advice on purchasing a pack. I've done a good bit of research and can't decide which pack to go with. I'm stuck between the Mariposa and the Atmos 65 AG. I was fitted at REI with the Atmos and liked the way it felt. The only drawback is that it's over 4 lbs. and for the same money I can get the Mariposa that is just over 2 lbs.. My main concern with the Mariposa is the warranty (Osprey has a great warranty) and the fact that I can't try it on prior to purchase. I would hate to purchase the Mariposa and after several months of use decide that I should have bought the Atmos. On the flip side, I would hate to purchase the Osprey only to regret not going with the lighter pack. I'm on a budget and don't have extra money to double purchase items. Also, I will be section hiking no thru hikes for me, if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stilllife
09-22-2016, 18:23
I have two Atmos 65's, one size large and one size medium, that are only a few years old and used only one time each, in mint condition, with rain covers. The large is the older model and the medium is two years old I think. They have both been hanging upstairs on a rack.
I will sale one or both. I'll have to check on the value and get back. I'm will be back at home this weekend and will post some pics if you like.

Scorpion
09-22-2016, 19:18
I used a Gossamer Gear (it was GVP Gear then) G4 for my thru in 04. After the hike the G4 was in pretty bad shape and I bought a Mariposa. I've used it for the last 10+ years, and it's still in good shape. I think it's a great pack, and it's on the light side. Of course now there are lighter packs out there, but the Mariposa is still a great pack. I definitely wouldn't attempt a thru with a 4# pack. That's way too heavy.
Scorpion

tflaris
09-22-2016, 21:38
I've had both bags and the GG Mariposa is by ar the better bag for loads less than 30 pounds.

YMMV

“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” — Unknown

southern9
09-29-2016, 09:39
I bought a used Mariposa and love it. Super light, multiple sized pockets, removable sit/back pad, removable aluminum frame. I don't like the way Ospreys fit in the hip belt.

Sent from my iPhone on board a spaceship!

chknfngrs
09-29-2016, 12:51
A pack that weighs four pounds by itself is foolish for a thru attempt

capehiker
09-29-2016, 14:17
The two packs are for different backpacking philosophies, so it would be dependent on your approach to backpacking and gear. GG caters to the UL crowd while Atmos series is designed to carry moderate to heavier loads comfortably. I have the Atmos for real heavy backpacking and the suspension system is awesome for loads in the 30's/40's, which is exactly what it should be.

In short, my answer would be for you to evaluate the overall weight of your pack and go with the pack that fits that need.

Hikingjim
09-29-2016, 17:41
It's not just trying it on. It's how much consistent load you're carrying
I would agree that if your pack weight is consistently over 30, go with the atmos

you could list what you're planning to get for your core items, and then we could better suggest. sleeping bag, tent etc

chknfngrs
09-29-2016, 19:56
Good comment capehiker!

-Rush-
10-01-2016, 00:58
I own both packs. In a recent thread we discussed this same topic. I suggest the Mariposa for a thru-hike attempt. Less weight and it can carry everything you need. The Osprey is awesome too, but the extra 2lbs isn't doing you any favors in a thru-hike scenario.