PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Mariposa or Osprey Atmos 65 AG?

mikewagus
09-22-2016, 18:02
I'm new to backpacking and looking for some advice on purchasing a pack. I've done a good bit of research and can't decide which pack to go with. I'm stuck between the Mariposa and the Atmos 65 AG. I was fitted at REI with the Atmos and liked the way it felt. The only drawback is that it's over 4 lbs. and for the same money I can get the Mariposa that is just over 2 lbs.. My main concern with the Mariposa is the warranty (Osprey has a great warranty) and the fact that I can't try it on prior to purchase. I would hate to purchase the Mariposa and after several months of use decide that I should have bought the Atmos. On the flip side, I would hate to purchase the Osprey only to regret not going with the lighter pack. I'm on a budget and don't have extra money to double purchase items. Also, I will be section hiking no thru hikes for me, if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Rush-
09-23-2016, 02:00
I own both of these. The Atmos extremely comfortable and carries weight well, but it's a bit overkill IMO for a thru-hike. You did not state what your intention is.. are you thru-hiking or just backpacking? Without knowing this.. I'd probably carry the Mariposa if I were going to be thru-hiking. I'd carry the Atmos if I were backpacking and not pushing 10+ miles per day.

If you clarify your hike or purpose clearly, I'd be happy to elaborate on further on both packs.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2016, 05:28
Totally different packs
Depends on you, your gear, your hiking style.
Im guessing you have none to the above
So
Get all your other gear first
Then get a pack it will fit in
If you shop for high quality light compact gear $$$, and have disciplined approach to what you carry, you can use a lightweight pack
If you dont, you may need a sturdier pack.

Yes, many hikers start out heavier laden and switch gear getting lighter as they go.
Yes it costs $$$
Many hikers also go home the first week, so it doesnt matter
What kind of hiker will you be?
A little experience before diving too deep in purchases is a good thing.

Theres no way to pick the perfect final gear set for you before you start.
It will take some time and experience to define your preferences.
And some $$$ to changeout items too that decide you dont like.

mikewagus
09-23-2016, 07:44
Thanks for the input. I have no desire to Thru Hike so it's only section hikes for me. I completed the Maryland section of the AT in April with a 6+lb High Sierra pack. After that I started researching packs and went to REI to get properly fitted. I was also carrying too much weight, 40lbs. not counting water. Needless to say I did a shakedown after my hike and have removed a number of things that I will not carry. If I go with the Atmos my Big 3 weight will be 12.04 lbs., if I go with the Mariposa it will be 10 lbs. There lies my dilemma. As of now the longest I would be out will be four or five nights.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2016, 07:58
Thanks for the input. I have no desire to Thru Hike so it's only section hikes for me. I completed the Maryland section of the AT in April with a 6+lb High Sierra pack. After that I started researching packs and went to REI to get properly fitted. I was also carrying too much weight, 40lbs. not counting water. Needless to say I did a shakedown after my hike and have removed a number of things that I will not carry. If I go with the Atmos my Big 3 weight will be 12.04 lbs., if I go with the Mariposa it will be 10 lbs. There lies my dilemma. As of now the longest I would be out will be four or five nights.

What does rest of stuff weigh?
My recommendation is pretty much a conventional pack if you spend any significant time over about 30 lbs total wt carried. There's differences in lightweight packs, but not that much. A few more or less lbs to comfortable rating.
Some are OK to 25, some to low 30s .

In my experience, take what the mfg says the max wt is, and subtract 5 lbs for sure.

10-K
09-23-2016, 08:20
If you're section hiking check out the ULA Circuit. http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

I would rate this as the "Almost Perfect Generic Pack for Any Hike". Great all around pack for thru hiking and section hiking perfect for those who are not into measuring and weighing but small enough to keep you from bringing the kitchen sink.

mikewagus
09-23-2016, 08:47
I just weighed the rest of my "stuff" (gear) and it weighs 8.4 lbs. That's stove, fuel, water filter, first aid kit, clothing to sleep in, rain/cold weather gear, navigation, map, the ten essentials. Minus of course food and water. I will be going out 4 to 5 nights max and probably average 10 to 12 miles per day.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2016, 09:19
Puts you at 29.4 with 2l water and 4 day food.
You can probably go either

If you have hope of decreasing wt further , like 5 lbs more, most lightwt packs woukd be good choice.

Your really kind of on border imo and a good pack will make 32 feel lighter than most lightwt packs will at 30.

If have aspirations to hike more miles, the 2 lbs matters. You can sacrifice comfort for reduced energy expenditure. Not as important at 10 mpd as at 20.

Spend some $, order both, try at home, return whjat you like least. You only lose $20 return shipping, and its small price to pay.

Or get that 18.4 lb base wt down to about 8, and forget you even are wearing pack much of time.

mikewagus
09-23-2016, 09:36
Thanks for your advice MuddyWaters. A lot to think about but the info is much appreciated. I'm not sure I could get the base weight down to 8 but I'm new to this and only time will tell. I definitely enjoy backpacking and enjoy reading everyone's adventures on the AT. I think at this point I may be overthinking the pack weight between the two and should just go out and enjoy the experience. I'll update later after I choose and take it on a test run.

10-K
09-23-2016, 09:41
If you're new I'd suggest getting your base weight down to something you feel comfortable about and then start getting experience to get it lower.

Suggestions from others are nice but we all have our own way of doing things. It's a lot better if you decide you don't need 2 headlamps than if someone tells you that you don't.

You may wind up with a couple of packs but that's going to happen anyway. My wife says I have enough gear to take me and 4 people I don't like hiking.

tflaris
09-23-2016, 15:59
I have owned both and currently use the GG Mariposa. The large external pocket is great for a tent or tarp. No need to open bag if raining. Exterior storage of the stove is also ideal on the upper exterior pocket. Lower pocket large enough for two (1) bottles. Outside mesh pocket great to dry wet gear and to store rain gear.

YMMV

“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” — Unknown

scbobk11
09-23-2016, 17:23
Since you already have a pack, albeit heavier than you want, you might consider trying sticking with the pack you have and working on optimizing all the other gear. If you buy the "wrong" or "too big" of a pack now you will still be looking at reducing the weight of the other two components of the Big Three.

Look at optimizing all your other gear through the normal backpacking you are doing now. I'll bet that you can significantly reduce your gear weight and volume though some additional research and testing. After you go through the process for a while you will get a good idea of the weight and volume you need for your style of hiking...and maybe avoid buying a few backpacks along the way.

-Rush-
09-23-2016, 21:50

In that case, I'd stick with the Atmos. It's a fantastic pack and Osprey is an awesome company that will support the pack years down the road. IMO, going light is always a good idea, but its importance wanes you're not pushing big miles day after day.