PDA

View Full Version : Any of you ever hiked Roan Mt. in winter?

JTDawg
01-11-2006, 19:26
What's it like? I know obviously that one would not want to hike there during a snow storm, but otherwise what is it like? Does snow stay on the higher elevations much of the winter?

cls
01-12-2006, 00:00
About 4 or 5 years ago I hiked through there in Jan. I was section hiking starting at Devil Fork Gap and ending at Roan Mtn/Carvers Gap. My wife and I drove to Carvers Gap before she dropped me off to make sure she knew how to get there. There was about 8 inches of snow on the ground and about a half dozen vehicles in the parking lot. They were snowshoeing and cross country skiing on the road up Roan Mtn which was closed to vehicle traffic. Six days later there was still some snow. It's about like any other high elevation down here, if its cold and raining down in the flatlands its probably snowing in the mountains.

expenditioner
01-12-2006, 03:27
Be real carefull of the cold and the wind chill.I almost got into real trouble with frostbite one winter several years ago.Actually had to turn around and go back to the car because of almost getting my nose frostbitten.Seems like the wind at Carvers Gap never ends.

Wolf - 23000
01-12-2006, 04:19
I've done it several times hiking southbound; It not to bad in the winter, normal you will not see a major amount of snow that require snowshoes or anything like that. I have seen it icy but big deal. Have fun with it.

Wolf

Scrunchy
01-12-2006, 15:37
It's a great place for cross country skiing in the winter...two words...deep snow! Carver's Gap seems like one of the first places in the NC/TN mountains to get snow, and one of the last to lose it. I like to look at the GSMNP web-site at the Purchase Knob web-cam...if there is a little bit of snow there, there is generally lots in the Roans.

fiddlehead
01-13-2006, 03:57
Ah, the winter. When the AT is at it's finest: virtually no other hikers, great views, and shelters to yourself. The mice are still there though.
I hiked the AT southbound 4 winters ago. and it was awesome. Nights are a bit long though.

MOWGLI
01-13-2006, 07:38
I met Stewball at the Blueberry Patch in early March 2000. He was about to finish his SOBO hike. He was frostbitten on his toes and feet after getting caught at Roan High Knob SHelter for a couple of days in a big January storm.

Ths closest I have ever come to hypothermia was at Roan in a cold driving rain in early April.

Be prepared.

Burn
01-13-2006, 07:52
been there 3 times, never has not snowed and iced on me, but that just weather in TN in winter