PDA

View Full Version : Hunters on the AT Oct/Nov

Brad L
09-23-2016, 13:14
I posted a few days ago about hiking weather from Unicoi Gap to Fontana Dam in Oct/Nov. After further research I started wondering if I needed to be concerned with hunters during that same time frame? If so, where can I find further information so I don't get shot????

Chif
09-23-2016, 13:23
I posted a few days ago about hiking weather from Unicoi Gap to Fontana Dam in Oct/Nov. After further research I started wondering if I needed to be concerned with hunters during that same time frame? If so, where can I find further information so I don't get shot????

You may very well encounter hunters depending on where you are and the hunting seasons for that state. I would recommend a blaze orange cap for your safety and theirs. I always wear one when hiking in the fall.

dudeijuststarted
09-23-2016, 13:30
"Huuuuman, comin through..." works fine for me.

hikernutcasey
09-23-2016, 13:34
You may very well encounter hunters depending on where you are and the hunting seasons for that state. I would recommend a blaze orange cap for your safety and theirs. I always wear one when hiking in the fall.+1 I have this insanely bright neon yellow dri-fit shirt that is my go to for hiking during hunting season.

Last year I did a weekend hike in Virginia and I came up on this guy leaned up against a tree overlooking a field with a rifle across his lap. I was behind him so I started fake coughing and making as much noise walking as I could. Once up to him he said you do know it's doe day today don't you? I said no I did not! Before the day was done I saw two more hunters right on the trail.

Traveler
09-23-2016, 13:35
I put an orange vest on in the fall and don't take it off until Christmas time to be sure.

pickNgrin
09-23-2016, 13:39
For the NC portion, you can find seasons, public gameland maps, and other hunting info here: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Hunting-in-North-Carolina

At the very least, wear a blaze orange cap that can be seen from all directions. The more blaze orange you have, the better.

One Half
09-23-2016, 13:45
would also be a great time of year to wear "bells". not kidding. It's easy to get over heated and remove an orange cap not thinking about it. Also not uncommon for new hunters to get excited and get tunnel vision and miss visual cues, like only a small amount of orange. IIRC some states require 40 square inches of orange for hunters for safety but various seasons don't require orange. That makes the hunters harder for you to see. Also, a large figure with a backpack coming down a trail could sound like a dangerous animal and elicit a "surprised" response from a hunter. I actually am friend's with someone whose brother accidentally shot a hunting buddy because a bear came towards their site, friend's brother stood up, yelled bear, shouldered rifle and his friend stood up right in his line of fire as he fired his shot. Shot guy is permanently wheel chair bound now. Always be careful.

QHShowoman
09-23-2016, 13:50
The ATC usually publishes a table of hunting seasons by the state the trail goes through each year. This is last year's, but should give you some idea what to expect:

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2015-16-hunting-seasons-on-the-appalachian-trail373bdd6668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrsn=0

DuneElliot
09-23-2016, 13:53
I used a cheap blaze orange vest on my deer-colored mare, across the back of the saddle, if we rode during hunting season. My step-mom wore her vest. I would think one of those cheap pull-over vests sold at Walmart, with the side strips cut, and then tied over the top of your pack would be good.

becfoot
09-23-2016, 13:57
The ATC usually publishes a table of hunting seasons by the state the trail goes through each year. This is last year's, but should give you some idea what to expect:

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2015-16-hunting-seasons-on-the-appalachian-trail373bdd6668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrsn=0

So glad you posted that. Certainly explains the gunshots I heard while hiking the other day in NY. Guess I'll be leaving the buck mask home for a while.

RITBlake
09-23-2016, 14:01
Just a few more days until the opener here in New York, can't wait!

FatMan
09-23-2016, 15:43
Non issue. Just be responsible and wear some blaze orange.

Turk6177
09-23-2016, 16:09
I ran into a few bear hunters while hiking from the GA/NC line to NOC last year. I bought two orange bandanas prior to leaving and put one on the back of my pack and one on the front. I stopped to talk to the hunters I crossed to see how their hunts were going. On an interesting side note, they use dogs that wear transponder collars that show the hunters where the dog is chasing the bear. No one shot one as far as I saw.

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2016, 16:16
I bought this blaze orange shirt from tractor supply for $14 a few years ago and it is quite possibly the most comfortable shirt that I own.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ce-schmidt-enhanced-visibility-short-sleeve-pocket-t-shirt-orange?cm_vc=-10005

HooKooDooKu
09-23-2016, 16:32
The subject is covered on the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/hiking-basics/safety/hunting) website.

nuknees
09-27-2016, 21:04
I wear a blaze orange head buff and pack cover.

SkeeterPee
09-27-2016, 21:41
+1 I have this insanely bright neon yellow dri-fit shirt that is my go to for hiking during hunting season.

Last year I did a weekend hike in Virginia and I came up on this guy leaned up against a tree overlooking a field with a rifle across his lap. I was behind him so I started fake coughing and making as much noise walking as I could. Once up to him he said you do know it's doe day today don't you? I said no I did not! Before the day was done I saw two more hunters right on the trail.

You seem concerned because you saw hunters. Were any actually hunting from the trail? I suspect not. They were likely using the trail to walk to / from their hunting area. The AT often goes through game lands. I think actual shooting from the trail is prohibited, but that may vary by state. BTW Bow season probably already started.

As for clothing I wear an orange pack cover, orange shirt and orange beanie. Lots of hunters thank me for wearing orange.

Engine
09-28-2016, 05:33
My 2 cents on color choice. The hunters are bound by law to wear blaze orange, but you, as a hiker, are not. So, given the choice, I always wear a combination of blaze orange and fluorescent yellow. I do this because of an experience I had a few years ago as a pilot for the Civil Air Patrol. I was spotting for a search team during practice locating a downed aircraft. The team wore a mix of blaze orange and fluorescent yellow vests so they could be spotted from the air and guided to the "crash" site. Throughout the exercise, I was able to spot those wearing fluorescent yellow easily no matter where they were at the time. But for those wearing blaze orange, when they were in darker conditions under a heavy canopy, the color seemed to reflect very little light and they would become very difficult to spot. In bright conditions such as an open field the orange vests were maybe a bit easier to see than the yellow, probably due to more contrast.

For this reason, my wife and I wear both colors during hunting season.

hikernutcasey
09-28-2016, 08:45
You seem concerned because you saw hunters. Were any actually hunting from the trail? I suspect not. They were likely using the trail to walk to / from their hunting area. The AT often goes through game lands. I think actual shooting from the trail is prohibited, but that may vary by state. BTW Bow season probably already started.

As for clothing I wear an orange pack cover, orange shirt and orange beanie. Lots of hunters thank me for wearing orange.That was the thing, they were actually hunting sitting right on the trail. The had obviously used the trail to walk in and just set up shop.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2016, 09:41
I do most of my backpacking in the mountains of North Carolina during all seasons and certainly never let hunting season determine my routes. For one thing, the hunters I see rarely get more than 100 feet from their trucks and if they do they are following their packs of hunting dogs who do most of the hunting.

It is rare to see hunters actually out in the woods hiking up trails as most of them are bushwacking off trail. It is VERY RARE to see backpacking hunters in the Southeast. That is, guys with packs and rifles who are on a hunting backpacking trip and camping for a week from spot to spot. 99% of all hunters I see in NC and TN are dayhiking Done-In-A-Day types who never spend a night in the woods.

Plus, they are hyperly overly fixated on their dogs and spend endless time and energy tracking these hateful beasts. Dog hunting should be illegal in the Southeast mountains but no, it's a grand southern tradition supported largely by the forest service. Some people are afraid of black bears or wild pigs disturbing their camps, but in my experience stray "abandoned" hunting dogs do the most damage by far: Stolen food bags, clawed and ripped tents, uninvited guests who never leave etc.

As far as orange goes, well, I lucked out when I got my new Arcteryx rain jacket and purposely purchased one in bright orange.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/15-Day-December-Decompression/i-QgzNvcp/0/L/TRIP%20140%20225-L.jpg
Shrouded in my Arcteryx jacket. It comes in handy I guess during hunting season.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Warriors-Passage/i-qgqfZrN/0/L/TRIP%20128%20164-L.jpg
If I see alot of hunters out and about I drape my jacket over my pack just in case.

lyagooshka
09-28-2016, 10:54
Orange is best.
It's the accepted color for hunters.
The more the better.
My suggestion is cover the highest points (head and top of pack).

Another thing to keep in mind is for all you folks who like to hike in spring.
In many places (especially here in PA) it's one of the most dangerous hunting seasons.
Spring Gobbler is full camo and no stalking.
Pretty much it means that if something is moving, it's not a hunter because they can only hunt stationary.
Now, in a perfect world, no one would ever pull a trigger with a 100% ID of what they are shooting and everything behind it.
We know that doesn't always happen.
There are the few who shoot first and ask questions later.
These are by farthe exception, but they're out there.

So, make noise, wear orange, and be careful.
Oh, and please be respectful.
As a hunter I can tell you 99% of us are happy to share the woods and know not to hunt close to trails if we don't want to be disturbed.
But there are always the "ones" who just don't get it.
Best to walk away.

Whether you're hiking or hunting, BE SAFE.

See you the trail or in the woods.

Alex

MuddyWaters
09-28-2016, 10:56
I wear orange cap, put orange bandana ($2 at hobby lobby) on rear of pack in big game seasons
Inevitably, most hikers I see out are too stupid to do so, with the idea that its not their responibility.

Being in the right does u no good, if your dead.

You DO NOT want someone to point a scoped rifle at you to see what you are at 200 yds.

pickNgrin
09-28-2016, 11:13
Being in the right does u no good, if your dead.

By the same token, it is wise to wear blaze orange at all times, not just during hunting season or big game season. A poacher that accidentally kills you will leave you just as dead as a hunter that follows the regulations.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2016, 11:17
You DO NOT want someone to point a scoped rifle at you to see what you are at 200 yds.

That might be the best scenario---SEE ME FIRST. Sight, acquire (identify), fire. Proper training.

But you're probably right: Shoot anything that moves. Why not? A dead hiker will result in no fines and no jail time.

lyagooshka
09-28-2016, 11:26

While that is absolutely true, many accidents are from shotguns.
They are "point and shoot", while a scope requires work to aim, plus gives you a magnified view.

Point is, hikers WEAR ORANGE AND BE CAREFUL; hunters ID YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT 100% BEFORE PULLING THAT TRIGGER.

tagg
09-28-2016, 11:58
By the same token, it is wise to wear blaze orange at all times, not just during hunting season or big game season. A poacher that accidentally kills you will leave you just as dead as a hunter that follows the regulations.

I've adopted this philosophy and always wear lots of orange clothing regardless of the time of year, carry an orange pack, and even have an orange UQ for my hammock so I don't get shot while sleeping. It's led to the trailname Hold Your Fire, but I haven't been shot.

Last Call
09-28-2016, 14:49
I wouldn't go in the woods without my 2 bear bells....

skater
09-28-2016, 20:58
A tip I picked up from Boy Scouts. Get some bkaze orange flagging tape at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware. Take several 2' strips and hang on back of pack, arms, sternum strap, etc. Large solid bkocks of orange are more visible if available, but flagging tape is good otherwise.

AfterParty
09-28-2016, 21:27
S2S orange pack cover cabelas bragin cave 16 bucks. It is more then likely you are required by law to wear orange in certain areas and times this should be in data books I would think. But if your sharing space with hunters orange is a good way to go.

ldsailor
09-30-2016, 15:28
I read up on this subject and was of the understanding that hunters are not to be anywhere near the AT as a rule of law. Of course, that really doesn't make any difference if they are there anyway and have a gun pointed at you. Just saying...

Majortrauma
09-30-2016, 15:34
Good God, not this topic again.

Sarcasm the elf
09-30-2016, 15:50

And a month earlier than I expected it. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm the elf
09-30-2016, 15:52
I read up on this subject and was of the understanding that hunters are not to be anywhere near the AT as a rule of law. Of course, that really doesn't make any difference if they are there anyway and have a gun pointed at you. Just saying...

Hunting is legal on approximately half the lands that the A.T. passes through, per the ATC website.

Keep in mind that in a number of places, hunting is the primary use of the land and hiking and other recreation is considered a secondary use.

fiddlehead
09-30-2016, 22:01
I come from Pennsylvania where there are more hunters than cars (I think)
I only really worry about deer season, and then only rifle (they also have archery, muzzle-loader, and even crossbows now I believe).
I won't go out on Saturdays during deer season as that's when the amateurs are out also.
There is no hunting on Sundays (yet, they are trying to change that)

Most hunters sit.
So, you will be walking towards them first (then away)
So, to me, it's more important to wear your blaze orange or yellow, on your front, than on your back.
Vests are good.
Streamers tied to your shoulder straps are good.
Orange hats are good.

Having a narrow pack, with an orange pack cover and wearing earth-tones or tans is not good.

Did a SOBO AT hike from Oct to Feb about 12 years ago.
Saw deer rifle season in almost every state. (late November in PA and goes more south about the same speed we walked)
(was in Maine in Oct)
Most hunters are wise.
Not all. (just like hikers)
Careful out there.

FatMan
10-01-2016, 07:53

And a month earlier than I expected it. :rolleyes:Yep, and like I said...non-issue. Just wear some orange.

Funny thing is that with all this concern posted here only about 10% of hikers down here in GA, where hunting is allowed right on the trail, will be wearing orange during the season. And only 1% of thru hikers will have a spec of orange on them. Yet somehow everyone manages to make it. Like I said...non-issue. Just wear some orange.

Bronk
10-01-2016, 13:35
I stay out of the woods for the 10 days of firearms deer season...I've seen way too many drunk people roaming the woods with guns.

litetrek
10-04-2016, 19:41
Hunters are outdoorsmen enjoying their outdoor sport. However, they can pose a serious danger if you are unlucky enough to come across someone who is reckless or unskilled. They are out there especially on the first day of the season. I had a rifle bullet wizz over my head on the AT in Pennsylvania when I was about 17. I was and out backpacking in the fall from Lehigh gap to Delaware water gap. I'm sure that it was unintentional. We never even saw the hunter. Bullets that miss their target can travel a long way. Anyhow for me the concern is real since that day.

I'll wear at a minimum a blaze orange cap. A backpack will obscure the view of a cap from the back. So, I have about a half yard piece of blaze orange ripstop that I can drape on my backpack. Sometimes I take that since its important that you can be seen from any direction. I also have a blaze orange tee shirt. Sometimes I take that since its usually warm in the south at least at the start of hunting season.