PDA

View Full Version : Boot types for complete thru-hike

Tudor
01-11-2006, 21:04
I'm gonna be doing a SOBO early-mid June and was wondering what boot types are worn anymore. Don't want to know about trail-runners or sandals etc., just boots. I'm also planning on a pair of Limmer boots, and was wondering if there is any reason to get them, or better yet any reason NOT to get them. *besides the price ;) *

Pressure Treated
01-11-2006, 22:55
I wear Asolos and will never wear anything else. Leather boots in my opinion are too much. They don't dry quick and they are heavy as hell. I thru-hiked in 2000 and tried many pairs. Asolo is my favorite. They are a full boot with plenty of support, dry quick and are comfortable even after 20 miles.

general
01-12-2006, 01:51
i like solomons, but different boots for different feet. find a pair that is built to suit your foot type. mid weights provide plenty of support without the excessive weight of a mountaineering boot. i hiked half the AT in Montrail Moraine AT's. they should be called the Moron AT's, because that's what i felt like after having a pair of boots properly fitted by the folks at Neel's Gap.

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 08:20
I wear Asolos and will never wear anything else. Leather boots in my opinion are too much. They don't dry quick and they are heavy as hell. I thru-hiked in 2000 and tried many pairs. Asolo is my favorite. They are a full boot with plenty of support, dry quick and are comfortable even after 20 miles.

Which type of Asolos do you wear? REI shows about 10 kinds in three categories, just for men's footwear.

Spirit Walker
01-12-2006, 10:30
All leather boots are very heavy, especially when wet. On the AT they will get wet. Limmers especially are HEAVY. That means that with every step you will be lifting five pounds or so at the end of your leg. Ouch. They take a long time to break in, which means blisters for the first 500 miles, and you may find that every time it rains you get new blisters as they will not necessarily dry in the best way. I wore all leather Italian boots (Pivettas) on my first hike and ended up with blisters all through New England because of the constant rain. I wore a hole right through the leather liner.

What used to be very popular on the trail were the Vasque Sundowners. They are a midweight boot and should last about half a hike (mine were usually good for 1500 miles, my husband's only lasted about 1000/pair.) The last changed so they no longer work for me, so now I wear much lighter shoes/boots.

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 10:33
How many hikers get by with light shoes (New Balances, say) in Pennsylvania and in the White Mountains?

timhines
01-12-2006, 10:39
I hope you are right about the Asolos. I just picked up a pair that were marked down 65% on Sierra Trading Post. I'll try to report back when i've put on a hundred miles or so.

khaynie
01-12-2006, 10:50
I hiked the entire trail, as many people did, with lightweight trail runners. Changed out of my fist pair in Gorham NH. 2nd pair in NY. 3rd In Damascus. The fourth and final pair were Garmonts, and quite possibly the best pair of trail-shoes I've ever owned. I bought them in Damascus and they were still practically brand new once we got to Springer some 450+ miles later. However, I was kicking myself when we got snowed on going through the Smokies as they weren't goretex. My feet fafafafroze. All that to answer Minnesotasmith's question. Now, to attempt to try to answer Tudor's question. The most common boots I saw were

khaynie
01-12-2006, 10:53
I guess I should have listed the boot manufacture, huh? Those are Montrails.

Kerosene
01-12-2006, 11:45
I purchased a pair of low-top Garmont Eclipse (http://www.garmont.com/products_details.html?id=90&type=outdoors&category=trailsport_utility&page=1) boots last summer for my section hike and loved the weight savings over mid-top leather boots. I especially appreciate the hardened toe box and rand; something that is missing from most lightweight trail runners. In retrospect I shouldn't have gotten the Gore-Tex lining, going with external waterproofing instead.

Footslogger
01-12-2006, 11:51
I started and finished the AT in 2003 using a boot from Asolo called the Cerro Terre. I used Montrail Trail Runners for about 4 months in the middle. Something just told me that I would need a little extra on my feet and ankles when I began and then I opted for the boots again do the do the Whites and north. Don't regret that decision.

The Asolos I used were excellent. Ate a pair of laces along the way but otherwise the boots held up well and I still use them out here in Wyoming for snowshoing.

'Slogger

Tudor
01-12-2006, 14:04
Excellent advice all around so far. Thank you. I also plan on taking a pair of Montrail trail-runners with me, but love the feel of a boot on my foot. Of the Limmer variety I was thinking the Mid-Weight, but probably would only need a Light-Weight for the AT.

About the Asolo's. Who is the best retailer to look them up through? Customer service, price, and quality wise? Keep those boot suggestions a coming, and with the boot recommended, explain the type of breaking in, if any, required of that particular boot. Thanks everyone!

Footslogger
01-12-2006, 14:08
[quote=Tudor]About the Asolo's. Who is the best retailer to look them up through? Customer service, price, and quality wise?
================================================
If they carry the style you want, REI is pretty hard to beat in terms of customer service/returns. That's where I got mine. They have a "no questions asked" policy and will refund 100% right on the spot (or replace it with another pair) with an unused boot and often a manager will offer a % refund on a used pair.

'Slogger

longshank
01-12-2006, 14:25
I was figuring on using my montrail stratos xcr for my entire 07 thru.

timhines
01-12-2006, 14:29
Tudor,
check sierratradingpost.com Not a big selection, but return shipping is free if you don't like them. They have a lifetime return policy as well.

If you know your size check out some online places like zappos.com (they have the same policy as sierra above).

But nothing beats finding a local store and giving them your business, even if it costs 5-10$ more.

rusty075
01-12-2006, 15:07
I'll second the suggestion to buy from a brick-and-mortar store. There's no way I'd ever try to buy boots online, unless they were an exact replacement for a pair I already owned. There's just too much variation in sizing and foot last volume from one manufacturer to another to buy without being fitted first. Find a local shop with a decent selection and start trying some on. If they don't offer attentive, knowledgable help, or don't suggest that you wear them around the store for a while to get settled in them, find someplace else. I've had pretty good experiences in REI stores, spotty success in EMS' (seems to be luck of the draw on who's on staff), but have found the best help in mom-and-pop stores, generally.

I've had good success with Asolo Fugitive GTX's. Probably a little heavier than some people wear now (then again, I'm a little heavier too), but they wear very well and have the ankle support I've learned I need, but can't get from trail-runners. Might be good ones to try.

Grampie
01-12-2006, 15:27
On my thru I used one pair of boots. Montrail AT Hikers. I had them resoled after I had put about 1500 miles on them. They lasted the whole trip, and some before, but were shot when I finished.
Look into L.L.Bean Cresta Hikers. Bean has a hell of a warrenty.:)

NoKnees
01-12-2006, 16:23
I think there are many good brands. I like garmonts and asolo as well. I would agree that an all leather boot is a bit much and dries too slowly.

I think that boots are one area where saving money should be secondary to great fit. If you you can find a store with a Phil Oren trained fit guy thats a good start. I found one at Adenture 16 in LA and he was at least a step above any other store employee I have ever had fit a pair of boots. I admit I paid $20 more for the boots than I would have off the net but the pair he set up for me are the most comfortableI ever worn.

http://www.fitsystembyphiloren.com/

On the website you can look up stores that have Phil Oren trained fitters. I don't think there is any extra charge for the fitting although if there are custom insoles invloved there is a charge for that.

Jim

Peaks
01-13-2006, 09:51
When it comes to footwear, the most important thing is fit. The next most important thing is fit, and another important thing is fit. So, which brand of boot is best for you is the one that fits you best.

That being said, the traditional all leather boot, such as Limers, are generally not used. Most use a lightweight shoe, such as a trail runner. However, many like myself prefer a boot with fabric and leather upper, usually mid ankle height.

Zzzzdyd
01-13-2006, 11:04
When it comes to footwear, the most important thing is fit. The next most important thing is fit, and another important thing is fit. So, which brand of boot is best for you is the one that fits you best.

I couldn't agree more. When I was 18, 28, and 38 I had what is termed 'high volume feet', with nice high arches in my feet. Size 9 1/2 to 10 depending on the style, etc.. At 48 and 58 I now have 'fallen arches' and 'low volume' feet. Wearing size 11 1/2 to 12 now.

So make sure you get your footwear from someone that knows what they are doing. The footwear I use on the AT are different that the footwear I use in southern Indiana, ILL and central KY.

My experience with Gore-tex in a full leather boot has been BAD !! They kept my feet dry approx. 2 hours then forget it. I spent one day in my AKU's Gore-tex, full leather boots hiking in the rain before arriving at Neals Gap a few years back. Spent the night with Keith at Goose Greek Cabins. Went up to Mountain Grossings the next AM and had them weigh my boots. The scales showed them at over 6 lbs each, and this was after being with me in the cabin all night. Of course I had them fit me in something much better suited for the AT and sent those heavy things to the house. Another little tip I learned the hard way, at least this applies to me, if the footwear doesn't feel correct and good when your trying them on at the store they probably are not going to feel any better out on the trail. The last 3 pair of hikers I have got have felt great right out of the box, and I went hiking in them that day. They didn't need any so called " breaking in ". But this is just IMHO...

Just an FYI you may want to check these out,

Teva Wraptor Sandals

here: http://www.thru-hiker.com/reviews.asp?subcat=12&cid=40

I wouldn't try it, but several people have. I have also heard there were two gals that did AT thru-hikes barefooted !!

:o

icemanat95
01-13-2006, 11:30
Fit is the only important thing in a boot. If the boot doesn't fit right, it is going to torture you with every step.

The original One Sport Moraine full leathere boots fit my feet like a glove, the Montrail Moraine was just a name change to the same design. The Moraine AT was, on paper, everything I was looking for in a full leather boot, but they changed the last and it no longer fit my foot. Oh well. I started looking into light hiking shoes/boots after that and found the Merrell Chameleon Ventilator Mid. Perfect fit, nice and airy, good Vibram sole. I love that boot for anything not involving rain, snow, significant cold. In those conditions I go back to either my Moraine's or my Vasque Alpines (when crampons may be needed).

Don't get stuck on a brand or type. Find a boot that fits really well. Always try on boots after spending a lot of time on your feet, and more perfectly, after a day or two of hiking.

Marlton
01-13-2006, 14:27
Definitively... Montrail boots

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:31
I also use asolo fugitives, but I find them too heavy and stiff...I need something with a little more give to them. They're great boots for hardcore backcountry ****, but if I'm doing big miles, I need somrthing more sneaker-like.

Ridge
01-14-2006, 06:23
It's all about fit and comfort. For myself I use non-gortex, all leather, inside and out, stitch sealed and water treated. I use a liner and a hiking sock, I also use short gaters. It took me several YEARS to find the right boots for my feet and this was years before my thru-hike.

minnesotasmith
01-14-2006, 07:14
Is that they don't come in wide sizes. I wear a 12EEEE (that's 4 Es), and that's not easy to find in most brands. It's one of the reasons I wear New Balances, which do come in that size.. Anyone here know if their beloved hiking boot brand & style comes in that kind of sizing, especially if they wear a lightweight nonleather (ideally with Gortex), I'd like to hear about it.

Tudor
01-14-2006, 15:25
minnesotasmith, that's a huge foot my man! :p

Pacific Tortuga
01-14-2006, 16:53
Is that they don't come in wide sizes. I wear a 12EEEE (that's 4 Es), and that's not easy to find in most brands. It's one of the reasons I wear New Balances, which do come in that size.. Anyone here know if their beloved hiking boot brand & style comes in that kind of sizing, especially if they wear a lightweight nonleather (ideally with Gortex), I'd like to hear about it.

Dunhams now under N.B. management has a number of styles to fit a wider foot and yes last time I checked offer EEEE

Tinker
01-14-2006, 17:24
I wore a pair of Limmer boots exclusively in the 1990's. When I first got them, I broke them in around town (or so I thought), then took my first long hike on the Long Trail in Vermont. By the end of the first day, my custom made boots had given me dime sized blisters (2) on each side of each heel. (They take a while to break in, in other words). After completing my week long hike in the running shoes (they didn't make trail runners then), I continued to wear the Limmers until they finally did break in. I probably put close to 600 miles on them until the soles wore down on the outside, and I put them aside, fully intending to get them resoled (also several of the nickle plated hooks had broken off).
I bought some Montrail low tops to wear while I decided what to do with my Limmers.
The Limmers are still in my bedroom in a corner, and probably never will be resoled. I'm sold on hiking in low tops. In the winter, for short trips, I usually wear Gore-Tex lightweight boots (snowshoeing) or Sorel pack boots if it's real cold. Other than that, even with my over 200lb. weight and (formerly) weak ankles, I prefer low tops.

Smooth
01-14-2006, 21:58
I Bought LIMMERS!!!!!!!!!

They made it 800 miles!!!!!!!!!!

When they failed they said "send 'em back, we will repair them for a small fee..."

Then I bought Merrell hikers.

They made it 800 miles.

When they failed they said "Oh my! what way are you hiking?"
I told them and they said "We will have a pair waiting for you in the next town!"

They did!!! They even told me to keep the worn out ones!!!

I STILL use the replacement pair.

I don't buy Limmers. I use to buy Limmers.

Rainman
01-14-2006, 22:18
I use the Montrail Torre GTX Wide. I ended up with them after going to a Fit System clinic hosted by my local outfitter. http://www.fitsystembyphiloren.com/. I also had custom super feet made. I would suggest finding an outfitter that has this system in place and going there for a fitting. I ended up with something completely different than I had planned on, and am very happy about it. These shoes are very light for a full service backpacking boot and nothing else would have fit my short, wide foot as well.

Rainman
01-14-2006, 22:21
Check this out also. http://www.superfeet.com/. I love mine.

Tudor
01-15-2006, 16:59
I like that Phil Oren fitting system! There's a place about 1.5 hours from here that is Phil Oren certified, and the same place sells Merrell and Asolo boots. I'm gonna be checking into them this week and see what comes of it. What kind of price ranges should I be looking at with Merrell and Asolo boots? Most expensive to least expensive? Just curious, as it isn't going to affect my choice, b/c I beleve that a boot and pack are the one things that you shouldn't skimp on.