PDA

View Full Version : Tent - How big is too big

jgillam
09-24-2016, 13:07
I have owned / tried a few different tents over the year and based on the fact that I am a big guy and will likely always have someone in a tent with me, I have determined that I would prefer a tent that is approximately 55 inches wide and have decided on Cuben Fiber.

I am currently looking at the Zpacks Triplex tent which is a little wider than needed. The Duplex was an option but considering that it is 5" narrower than the Hubba Hubba NX, which felt narrow to me, I am afraid that the I would regret the 45" wide Duplex when sharing the tent.

I am planning a solo AT thru hike in a few years but, will have my son with me for 2.5 months during the summer. If I were going completely solo, the Duplex would be fine but, since I will be sharing the tent then and in the meantime, I think I want the extra with of the Triplex.

Because the weight difference between the Duplex and Triplex is minimal, my only concern is with the ground space I will need to pitch the tent, will I have trouble finding a place to pitch a tent this on the AT? I am assuming that the Triplex will need a similar amount of space as did the Stratospire 2, I owned. I remember people have similar concerns with that tent as well.

Thank you for your input.

Jeremiah

Dogwood
09-24-2016, 15:23
Look at Joe's Triplex set up video where he doesn't eleven use the possible full compliment of 12 stakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K540fC_cDk

Even with the number of guyouts he uses in this vid, which is 8 rather then the possible 12, that's a 12 ft x 10 ft flat open space needed. Certainly plenty of places to get these size open flat spaces on the AT but you will definitely be limited to CS locations too. Consider the Tri Plex has two entrances so if you want to use both, and why wouldn't you since that's one of the features and wt and cost you're opting for, you will need a wider area than that. Lots of lines to take up space and trip over and add to setup and break down times. Even as a big guy it could serve as single person shelter with these consequences but it would be cavernous overkill for one and huge even for two large people.

What I've noticed in my MLD Solomid pyramid shelter as well as in the Duplex and TriPlex is these shelters appreciate flat sites for the most optimal pitch and use of interior space which again could make finding suitable campsites a bit more difficult especially with two doors being used.

One Half
09-24-2016, 17:43
Personally I would not give consideration to a thru hike that may take place a few years from now. If you will be hiking this summer and next with someone you want to be sure you are sleeping in the same tent with, I would make that my priority. If however your hiking partner could sleep in another tent, their own maybe, I would get a tent just for yourself.

jgillam
09-24-2016, 18:45
I want to buy one awesome tent now and use it until then...especially at the cost of a Zpacks tent.

CarlZ993
09-24-2016, 21:38
Those Zpacks tents (I have the Duplex & the Hexamid Solo-plus) have a very big footprint. Sometimes, that can be a pain on the AT. Especially if you plan on using your tent as your primary shelter. I used my Hexamid as my secondary shelter as I mainly slept in shelters (used a tent 14 nights on my thru-hike).

Another thing you might consider when hiking the AT in a couple of years: by the time your son joins you on the trail (assuming he has to wait until summer & you're going NoBo), you are likely to be much smaller in size. A Duplex tent might suffice for the two of you. Just a thought.

Good luck in your decision.

LIhikers
09-24-2016, 21:42
My wife and I use a 3 person tent as we hike with our 90 pound dog.
It's a Tarptent Rainshadow and it looks like it is wider than the Triplex.
We've never had a problem finding space to put it up.

jgillam
10-02-2016, 11:31
A quick update for anyone comes back to check a thread they previously commented on. I ended up emailing Zpacks for advise as well and ultimately picked a Duplex with the understanding, that I could exchange it for the Triplex, if it was too small. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2" 275 and like my space.

I got the tent a few days ago and set it up in the yard for kicks. Without sleeping pads in it, it felt plenty big enough. Last night, I took it out on a scout camping trip. My 5.5 year old and I slept in it had plenty of room...which was one of my biggest concerns of the tent.

I previously had a Hubba Hubba NX which spec'd at 50 inches wide and felt tight with just me in it. The Duplex spec'd at 45 inches wide, felt much wider which I would attribute to the vertical walls of the Duplex.

So far I am very pleased with my decision. I am planning another trip next weekend so, I get another chance to test it.

The only downside was the condensation. Unfortunately, we set up camp just after a heavy rainstorm. The dew point and air temp were the same last night and we had heavy fog settling in an hour and a half before sunset. It was a perfect storm for condensation made worse by the fact that I closed the doors to maintain privacy. Not the fault of the tent, everything was soaked this morning.

Additionally, this tent was really easy to set up...especially compared to the Stratospire 2 that I used over the summer.

If anyone has a specific question, feel free to ask.

Tipi Walter
10-02-2016, 11:51
The only downside was the condensation. Unfortunately, we set up camp just after a heavy rainstorm. The dew point and air temp were the same last night and we had heavy fog settling in an hour and a half before sunset. It was a perfect storm for condensation made worse by the fact that I closed the doors to maintain privacy. Not the fault of the tent, everything was soaked this morning.

The only downside was condensation? Well, condensation is a big part of tent camping. You say "Not the fault of the tent but everything was soaked this morning."

It IS the fault of the tent. A good double wall tent would prevent 90% of this condensation ever reaching you. I wonder why backpackers decide weight is more important than staying dry. The whole purpose of a tent is to keep us dry and not soaked.

KDogg
10-02-2016, 13:57
The only downside was condensation? Well, condensation is a big part of tent camping. You say "Not the fault of the tent but everything was soaked this morning."

It IS the fault of the tent. A good double wall tent would prevent 90% of this condensation ever reaching you. I wonder why backpackers decide weight is more important than staying dry. The whole purpose of a tent is to keep us dry and not soaked.

Because we are talking a lot of weight savings when it comes to cuben fiber tents. The duplex weighs in at 20oz. Condensation is hardly an issue but does takes a bit of getting used to. The design of the tent allows the condensate to drain towards the end of the tent and out (there is netting on either side of the bathtub floor). I also hiked with a shamwow and wiped the tent down on occasion if it was really wet (not often). Cuben fiber does not absorb water so it dries very quickly. Once my double wall big agnes gets wet it stays wet until I can spread it out in full sunlight for a significant amount of time. All my duplex needs is a light breeze and all is good. You won't be sorry with the duplex. Everyone I met on the trail with one loved it. It is actually the only piece of gear I came home with that I refuse to part with. It is that good.

jgillam
10-02-2016, 16:08

Did you read the part of my post about the weather? There were approximately 60 tents set up and every single one of them was soaked and experience condensation. Mine was the only one that was a single wall.

jgillam
10-02-2016, 16:18

When I said everything was wet, I meant everything outside, I didn't mean everything inside of the tent. My gear was dry except the occasional drop here or there. Some of the condensation ran down the walls and drained, the rest just hung around. I did use a Shamwow around 3am.

In comparison, my double wall Hubba Hubba I used was soaked just as badly the one time I used it. The rainfly had taken on so much moisture, that it was sagging and touching the interior of the the tent which caused the moisture to drip all over my gear.

Tipi Walter
10-02-2016, 16:31
My only point is that in extreme condensation double wall tents keep occupants drier than single wall tents, and obviously with less need to resort to 3am sponging wipe-offs.

Venchka
10-02-2016, 19:58
A quick update for anyone comes back to check a thread they previously commented on. I ended up emailing Zpacks for advise as well and ultimately picked a Duplex with the understanding, that I could exchange it for the Triplex, if it was too small. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'2" 275 and like my space.

I got the tent a few days ago and set it up in the yard for kicks. Without sleeping pads in it, it felt plenty big enough. Last night, I took it out on a scout camping trip. My 5.5 year old and I slept in it had plenty of room...which was one of my biggest concerns of the tent.

I previously had a Hubba Hubba NX which spec'd at 50 inches wide and felt tight with just me in it. The Duplex spec'd at 45 inches wide, felt much wider which I would attribute to the vertical walls of the Duplex.

So far I am very pleased with my decision. I am planning another trip next weekend so, I get another chance to test it.

Additionally, this tent was really easy to set up...especially compared to the Stratospire 2 that I used over the summer.

If anyone has a specific question, feel free to ask.

I spent the first half of September by myself in a Hubba Hubba NX. My experience was uneventful and did not match your experience.
I think your experience may have been in an alternate universe.
Enjoy the Duplex.
Wayne

jgillam
10-02-2016, 20:45
I spent the first half of September by myself in a Hubba Hubba NX. My experience was uneventful and did not match your experience.
I think your experience may have been in an alternate universe.
Enjoy the Duplex.
Wayne

It was the dew point in both cases. I wish I could have wiped the HH down at 3 am instead of having it drip on me. Enjoy your tent as well.

Venchka
10-02-2016, 21:16
I had 100% humidity. Soggy ground. Rain on a few occasions. High winds one night. No dripping inside the tent. Sorry, but that's what I experienced. Granted, I don't really need a 2 person tent & the weight is more than I would like, but the tent functioned to my satisfaction.
Cheers!

Wayne

Leo L.
10-03-2016, 04:18
I have the Hubba Hubba NX and believe that it's not really perfect when it comes to condensation.
The rainfly doesn't come all the way down to the ground, but stops some 10cm above, thus leaving a stretch of inner tent (of the waterproof baththub part) exposed.
This exposed part of the inner tent inevitabely has condensation on its inner side, and you hardly can avoid touching this wet part with your sleeping bag.
So I have a damp footend of the bag every morning (only one night so far had been completely without condensation).
I'm going to sew a wide stripe of silnylon to the rainfly to hopefully avoid this problem in the future.

As far as the inside space goes, the NX is perfect for a solo trip (I'm quite tall at 1.86m), but was OK for me and my wife too.

Engine
10-03-2016, 06:33
Consider the Tarptent MoTrail. Plenty of room for two and a castle for 1, good bathtub floor (much improved over the Double Rainbow), very light (about 12 ounces heavier than the Zpacks Duplex), very reasonably priced (almost $400 cheaper than the Duplex).

Overall we love ours, but to be completely honest, we haven't had it out in foul weather yet. I plan on doing a full review when we do.

soumodeler
10-03-2016, 21:48
Consider the Tarptent MoTrail. Plenty of room for two and a castle for 1, good bathtub floor (much improved over the Double Rainbow), very light (about 12 ounces heavier than the Zpacks Duplex), very reasonably priced (almost $400 cheaper than the Duplex).

Overall we love ours, but to be completely honest, we haven't had it out in foul weather yet. I plan on doing a full review when we do.

Nothing wrong with it except it's a front entry tent. I started with an original TT Virga that was front entry and eventually upgraded to the side entry Notch. I will never go back to a front entry tent again. So much easier and more convenient.

cbr6fs
10-05-2016, 03:27
A good double wall tent would prevent 90% of this condensation ever reaching you. I wonder why backpackers decide weight is more important than staying dry. The whole purpose of a tent is to keep us dry and not soaked.

Most Hilleberg tents have angled ends which consistently wet the foot of your bag with inner condensation. My Nammatj was bad in this regard and my Staikas also draped over my sleeping bag. The Akto is atrocious in this regard and way too small inside the inner tent when using a puffed up down bag in the -20F range.

Bit of consistency in your opinions would be helpful, unless of course you think Hilleberg's are not "good double wall tents" ;)

PaulWorksHard
10-05-2016, 15:04
I had minimal condensation issues with the duplex, but I almost always kept all 4 side flaps rolled up. On rainy nights, I tried to leave at least one flap rolled up. On a windy, rainy night with all 4 flaps down, there would not be condensation. The problem was still nights with rain which were rare.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2016, 15:34
Bit of consistency in your opinions would be helpful, unless of course you think Hilleberg's are not "good double wall tents" ;)

The reason I went with the Hilleberg Keron was just to avoid their problem of angled foot ends. No part of your sleeping bag should touch the tent fabric, whether single or double wall. Most Hilleberg tents have steep angled foot ends---Nallo, Nammatj, Akto, Allak, Soulo, Staika etc---and when conditions are right the inner yellow canopy will have some amt of condensation---ergo wet foot box of sleeping bag.

Double wall inner tent canopies get wet with condensation too, but nothing like single walls. I'd much rather have my sleeping bag touching my inner tent than my outer tent fly.

soumodeler
10-05-2016, 16:14
I had minimal condensation issues with the duplex, but I almost always kept all 4 side flaps rolled up. On rainy nights, I tried to leave at least one flap rolled up. On a windy, rainy night with all 4 flaps down, there would not be condensation. The problem was still nights with rain which were rare.

I have yet to experience rain in my duplex (although if I go hiking this weekend as planned Matthew may make up for that!) and I generally leave all 4 flaps open. No condensation issues so far at all.

Lnj
10-05-2016, 16:50
My TT Double Moment has never dripped a drop on me. Mostly it's just me in it, but in cold weather and in hot humid weather, I have never gotten wet due to condensation. My husband slept in it with me on Grandfather Mtn. at Halloween a year or two back and still, no condensation. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.

cbr6fs
10-05-2016, 17:45
The reason I went with the Hilleberg Keron was just to avoid their problem of angled foot ends. No part of your sleeping bag should touch the tent fabric, whether single or double wall. Most Hilleberg tents have steep angled foot ends---Nallo, Nammatj, Akto, Allak, Soulo, Staika etc---and when conditions are right the inner yellow canopy will have some amt of condensation---ergo wet foot box of sleeping bag.

Double wall inner tent canopies get wet with condensation too, but nothing like single walls. I'd much rather have my sleeping bag touching my inner tent than my outer tent fly.

It's a struggle to form any consistent opinion from your posts.
I'm pretty sure you've got stuff to say that's well worth listening/reading, but you seem to be so stuck on one brand of tents that it blinds you to their problems and what might be better solutions.

Now after all these years of your Hilleberg evangelicalism when you've been confronted by hard facts you just seem to disappear for a while rather than face the fact that sticking tents under labels "single skin bad" "double skin good""double skin Hillberg betters.

There are so many designs and materials used for tents, putting them all under one label is not only incorrect it's also pretty stupid.

You're the first to admit that:

I believe some Hillebergs have a bigger tendency to produce condensation because of their fly configuration whereby the fly hugs the ground all around the perimeter.

You then seem to make a MASSIVE jump in thinking that ALL tents must have condensation problems simply because yours do.
It's ridiculous.

Something like a Duplex is one step up from a tarp ventilation wise.
This makes it a cold drafty place be in when the weather is bad, but in milder weather it's a fantastic tent with hardly any condensation.

Something like my Stratosphere 2 on the other hand is warmer and less drafty, yet has massive amounts of condensation.

Then there is the point you made yourself
I'd much rather have my sleeping bag touching my inner tent than my outer tent fly.

You seem to completely disregard the fact that on most single skin shelters there is a LOT more interior space than equivalent sized double skin shelters (my Duplex is a LOT longer than my SS2).

Using your logic this means there is less chance of a outer/sleeping bag contact, which you yourself have said many many many times is a good thing, but your label blindness means you completely disregard this.

How many nights have you spent in modern single skin shelters the last 2 years?

I'm not saying they're perfect for every condition and scenario, it's just that you rip into anyone that dares to recommend any tent that's not a Hilleberg, yet miss fundamental things like ventilation, interior space and even fabric type in your eagerness to put every tent into 1 of 3 groups (single skin, double skin or Heidelberg).

Statements like
Double wall inner tent canopies get wet with condensation too, but nothing like single walls. are generalisations to the point of being useless.

Don't judge all tents based upon the problems you experience with your Hillebergs, they're vastly different variations on a theme.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2016, 21:02
Previous post---
Now after all these years of your Hilleberg evangelicalism when you've been confronted by hard facts you just seem to disappear for a while rather than face the fact that sticking tents under labels "single skin bad" "double skin good""double skin Hillberg betters.

I'm one of the few Hilleberg tent users who has alot of negative things to say about the tents, in fact you cited one of my negatories about a full length fly hugging the ground. There are several other problems with the brand.

Under the right conditions, and you know when you're in these conditions, all tents and even tarps produce condensation, often alot of condensation. Not just Hillebergs but Tarptents and tarps and all others. Let's establish that ALL tents are subject to condensation. But don't take my word for it, here's some outside quotes---

Earlylite says he has a tent with Epic walls and it gets as much condensation as other tents. Grannyhiker had "horrendous" condensation with her Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. Hikin' Jim uses a SMD Gatewood Cape but in cold weather gets condensation "like nobody's business." Derek Hansen mentions tarp condensation in his hammock at times. Stanley McKinney says there's "no way to stop condensation in certain conditions. Mark says "There were droplets of water all over the inner" of his Tarptent Cloudburst. The discussion continues. See---

http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-prevent-tent-condensation/

In Outside magazine Doug Gantenbein says "Every time I wake up in my Marmot Swallow tent the condensation is so bad . . . my . . . bag and clothes get wet . . ." See---
https://www.outsideonline.com/1771876/how-can-i-prevent-condensation-inside-my-tent

Richard Malpass had alot of condensation in his TT Rainshadow. Even Roger Caffin says "There are some nights when you will get condensation on anything. See---
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/30940/

Even my backpacking friend German Tourist says this about a TT Rainbow--- " . . . I had heavy condensation on the inside of the fly but the inner tent kept me dry---which is the whole purpose of a double wall tent." See---

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/76286/

Jeff Issenberg complains about condensation in his TT Contrail. See---

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/38994/

Here's a long discussion on Tarp condensation---
http://outdoors.stackexchange.com/questions/1513/what-is-the-proper-way-to-tarp-tent-to-avoid-condensation

Jack Haskel says of his TT Moment in a review: "But when it's raining and there's condensation on the inside of the tent, I get wet. That sucks." See---
https://jackhaskel.com/2011/02/01/henry-shires-tarptent-moment-review/

Tired of Tarptents? Let's go to Hillebergs. " . . . condensation is inevitable", so says Charles Lindsey in his Akto review---

http://www.backpacking.net/hilleberg-akto-review.html

Here's a discussion on Whiteblaze and Garlic08 says "condensation is a fact of life . . ." See---

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/89538-Condensation-problem

This last one has a blurb about Hilleberg condensation---

http://www.bicycle-junkies.com/gear-reviews/camping/171-review-hilleberg-nammatj-3gt-tent

MuddyWaters
10-05-2016, 21:22
Steep side design where condensation runs down
Dont touch walls
Problems mostly avoided except for rain that causes misting inside

Some single wall tarp tents are poor at managing condendation due to flat lightly sloped panels, usually end entry design.

I find my cuben gets more of a film, smaller droplets break and run off sooner than textured fabrics which hold bigger drops due to surface tension that tend to rain down inside more.
So cuben seems a little better in this regard in my exerience.

Just because all shelters make condensation , doesnt mean it has to get on you, but sonetimes unnavoidable.

Its even possible for breath create "snow" in cold weather that falls onto gear and inside of tent, then melts later when tent warms some or weather changes during night. Ive awoke with the top of my bag around head all wet from this. Same for cold gear inside tent between you and cold outside, it condenses your warm breath too and gets soaked during night. Keep gear by feet keeps it drier.

Traveler
10-06-2016, 07:04
Tent types and sizes can be very subjective. However, when people start asking about tickets, you can take that as a sign your tent is too big.

cbr6fs
10-08-2016, 18:59
Tipi,

I'm not arguing that all tents suffer condensation at some point in the right conditions, of course they do.

You zone in on whatever thing you see is potentially worse than the tents you choose then completely ignore any experiences, facts or knowledge that counters that.

That's really the gist of my problem, your "opinion" is vague to the point of being useless, reading through a lot of yourt previous posts it seems you have a history of putting tents into dramatically oversimplified categorises to suit a preformed opinion.

How can you say

Double wall inner tent canopies get wet with condensation too, but nothing like single walls. when you must know that there are so many varying designs of single wall tents made from different materials that such a vast sweeping generalisation is pointless.

IF it's a condensationfest you are far less likely to have a sleeping bag/tent wall contact problem in a tent with more interior space, than if you're in a smaller tent.
Now think on this.
Per footprint size, single wall shelters offer anything from a little more room (say a mid with a full inner compared to the same mid without the inner) to a LOT more room (think something like a TT SS2 with or without it's inner).

So because you have more space there is less chance of your sleeping bag making contact with the condensation dripping walls.

Then there is the fact that some tents are extremely well ventilated, so the bracket for severe condensation problems is far smaller than tents with poor ventilation.

My Duplex for example has far far less condensation than my SS2, even though the Duplex is a single wall and the SS2 a double wall.
Granted i really don't want to spend many a windy night in the Duplex as it can get VERY drafty inside the tent, but it does show how well some tents (yes even single wall) are ventilated.

Then there is the fact that if i see my Duplex is starting to get a lot of condensation on the fly i can just sit up and wipe it down with a cloth.
In a double wall tent you have to be a bit of a contortionist and that's if it's a mesh inner, with a solid inner you're unlikely to see the condensation before it becomes a problem.

This is opinion gained from my own experiences rather than second/third/forth hand experiences from internet links.

It's up to you what tent you use, i can see why some folks would choose to stay with a well known brand, if it works for them then that's fantastic.

But belittling other peoples choices by using silly sweeping generalisations without any first hand experiences or knowledge of other tent designs doesn't do you any favours.

You don't need any justification to use the tents you want, so there is absolutely no need for snipping and nit picking on other peoples choices.

If you came to Greece and we spent a warm but showery night up one of it's mountains i'd guarantee your opinion would soften on single skin tents when you saw how well ventilated it was compared to your Hilleberg.
It'd be like spending the night in a steam room compared to spending the night with a warm hair drier wafting you too sleep.
Great views as well with all the doors wide open.

rafe
10-09-2016, 00:20

Everything is a tradeoff. For thru hikers, weight is a huge consideration. So, maybe it's worthwhile trading a few drippy nights for a lighter tent.

I know this from having switched from a double-walled tent to a Tarptent Rainbow. If I thought I'd have to endure several consecutive nights of heavy downpours, I'd rather be in my old-school double walled tent. But (lucky for me) the worst-case scenario is pretty rare, and for the vast majority of nights, the Tarptent has been just fine. Condensation is a nuisance but not a deal-breaker, as far as I'm concerned.

FamilyGuy
10-14-2016, 18:56
My only point is that in extreme condensation double wall tents keep occupants drier than single wall tents, and obviously with less need to resort to 3am sponging wipe-offs.

Nope. My Hilleberg Akto was the most condensation prone tent I have ever used. Double walls only meant that more water was soaked up.

Ventillation is key and yes, you can even maximize ventillation in the rain.

Mockernut
10-14-2016, 21:10
I would wager that there is no person on this forum that has spent as many nights in a fabric shelter (tent, teepee, tarp, etc.) as Tipi Walter. I listen to the life saving opinion of anyone that can spend multi-weeks in the dead of winter on top of balds in the southern blue ridge and my guess is that Tipi is speaking from past experiences more so from what he has read in others posts. He is also an expert on birthing turtleheads but that is a whole different condensation topic....

FamilyGuy
10-14-2016, 22:15
I would wager that there is no person on this forum that has spent as many nights in a fabric shelter (tent, teepee, tarp, etc.) as Tipi Walter. I listen to the life saving opinion of anyone that can spend multi-weeks in the dead of winter on top of balds in the southern blue ridge and my guess is that Tipi is speaking from past experiences more so from what he has read in others posts. He is also an expert on birthing turtleheads but that is a whole different condensation topic....

You would be best served by gathering a wide range of experiences from a wide range of people who backpack in a wide range of conditions in a wide range of geographic areas.

Venchka
10-15-2016, 13:01
How wide is wide?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FamilyGuy
10-15-2016, 23:30
How wide is wide?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More than 1.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:30
I'd say save your money and go with the Duplex, plenty of room.