PDA

View Full Version : Chattahoochee Gap, GA tenting sites?

maptester
09-25-2016, 14:07
Just wondering if there is a site suitable for a small tent at Chattahoochee Gap? My timing and slow hiking speed might make that a possible overnight location--and it seems to be the last good water source (late Sept/Oct 2016) before getting to Blue Mountain. Any advice on this location would be welcome. Thanks.

FatMan
09-25-2016, 15:01
There is a campsite at Chattahoochee Gap.

You might have to go downhill a little further than usual to get water but it is there.

FatMan
09-25-2016, 15:02
The last I heard Blue Mtn Shelter source is dry.

Dogwood
09-25-2016, 15:37
Here's a pic of the gap during leaf off beginning about 1:15 into the vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdHiw8LZN9M

When my very non-tech savvy dad started finding out about the power of the internet he told my mom and me, "heck, I can get a satellite picture of a package left at the doorstep I can read the address off." I dared him. He said the UPS delivery person just dropped off a package at the front door. He told me it was from....He did it. Then, proudly reveling in his new found revelation said to me, "now go downstairs and bring me up my package from...."

maptester
09-26-2016, 11:56
Thanks FatMan--one of the reasons for tenting there--I believe it is the last water source (currently) before the now dry Blue Mtn shelter.

ChrisJackson
09-26-2016, 12:06
You probably already know this, but that spring at the gap is the source of the "mighty" Chattahoochee River. I...just..think that's cool :-)

Uncle Joe
09-26-2016, 13:37
I've camped right at the gap. The Jack's Gap/Knob Trail comes in right there, as you can see in the video Dogwood notes above. If you're hiking NOBO I think there is a campsite down a double-track to your right. It's a hard, almost doubled-back right. I didn't go look at it but a couple was camping back there when we arrived there, which is why we setup at the fork.