PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in GA Oct 3-6, 2016

PilgrimAL
09-25-2016, 14:37
Does anyone have an updated water report in GA? A friend of mine and I are planning our first section hike between Springer Mtn and Neels Gap and I have not seen a post on water availability in several weeks. We are planning to camp at Hawks-Justus-Lance Creek. Was not sure if these sights still have water. Forecast shows a 50% chance of rain tomorrow Sept. 26th but that's it until after we plan to begin!

Thanks,
Thirsty Pilgrim

FatMan
09-25-2016, 14:59
As of today you will find water at:
Stover Creek (the creek, not the shelter)
Three Forks
Hawk Mtn Shelter
Justus Creek
Blackwell Creek
Gooch Gap
Lance Creek
Neels Gap

All other sources are dry.

Enjoy your hike!

Cfullerton
09-25-2016, 21:19
How about from Albert Mt and North?

PilgrimAL
09-25-2016, 22:03
As of today you will find water at:
Stover Creek (the creek, not the shelter)
Three Forks
Hawk Mtn Shelter
Justus Creek
Blackwell Creek
Gooch Gap
Lance Creek
Neels Gap

All other sources are dry.

Enjoy your hike!

Thanks FatMan. I drink lots of water when it's hot so this is good information.

Lego
09-25-2016, 22:38
I just did 3.5 days between Amicalola and Neel Gap 9/20-9/23. Ditto to Fatman's post. Wanted to add that there was a large Army Ranger water trailer at Cooper Gap. Also, I had been a little worried at Woody Gap upon seeing a note that all water was dry until Neels Gap. The note must have been pretty old or just wrong, Lance Creek was fine.

FatMan
09-26-2016, 06:40
I just did 3.5 days between Amicalola and Neel Gap 9/20-9/23. Ditto to Fatman's post. Wanted to add that there was a large Army Ranger water trailer at Cooper Gap. Also, I had been a little worried at Woody Gap upon seeing a note that all water was dry until Neels Gap. The note must have been pretty old or just wrong, Lance Creek was fine.The Ranger's Water Buffalo at Cooper Gap comes and goes. They place it there while they are playing war games. However, Ron Brown (shuttle driver) often leaves gallon jugs at Cooper Gap.

generoll
09-26-2016, 09:49
I'm maintaining a water cache at Unicoi Gap. Someone was poking holes in the jugs, but I believe that has stopped.