PDA

View Full Version : College visits...

Myshkin
01-11-2006, 21:52
Does anyone know where I can get a list of colleges and/or universities that are within walking distance of the Appalachian Trail? I know, I know "everything is within walking distance if you have enough time", but, for practical purposes....

Nic

jackiebolen
01-11-2006, 22:07
Get Wingfoot's book and he lists the major towns within walking/hitching distance and go from there. Or look at a map of the AT and find the major cities close by...I'm not sure if you're going to find a list anywhere.

max patch
01-11-2006, 22:43
Dartmouth is kinda close....

I also walked to Williams College in Williamstown MA.

If you're interested in culture I also walked to Tanglewood and saw Itzak Perlman perform with the Boston Pops. I think I walked there from Cheshire MA but my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details. Great place for a concert but I realized that I don't really enjoy classical music.

halibut15
01-11-2006, 23:55
While not in the "walking distance" you're probably talking about, Young Harris College in GA is within walking distance without leaving a trail surface. However, it IS about a 15 mile walk one way on a side trail from the AT, but it provides some beautiful scenery and ends dead in the middle of campus. Hey, I know it's a major stretch, but it's worth mentioning. :banana

Cosmo
01-12-2006, 23:16
Williams College in MA is about 5 miles west of AT. Of course you go right through Dartmouth College in Hanover NH.

Cosmo

lobster
01-12-2006, 23:31
Gettysburg is a little ways off but you get a battlefield and the AT not too far away.

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2006, 23:50
Lexington, Virginia is also pretty close (Washington and Lee and V.M.I. are both there).

Marta
01-13-2006, 07:43
North Carolina has three state universities in the mountains: Western Carolina University, UNC Asheville, and Appalachian State. They're not "walking distance" but they are around half an hour of easy driving.

01-13-2006, 08:59
Dahlonega, GA has North Ga college. Great school and not far from Springer and several other trail crossings.

UCONNMike
01-13-2006, 11:50
Look at this (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9126)

I asked the same question before I left this summer....

I went to Dartmouth, Messiah, Gettysburg, James Madison, and Southern Virginia University. Some were long hitches, some were not...if you really need an exact list I can out it together for you, but only if you are serious

Blister
01-13-2006, 16:33
The trail walks right through the Dartmouth college campus. It's more entertaining for me to watch the male hikers catching flies with thier mouths as the barley cladded college chicks walk by. I even know a hiker or two who spent extra zero days in town just for the eye candy.

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2006, 16:45
West Point is also very close to the Trail and is a great place to visit.

betic4lyf
01-13-2006, 19:20
i applied to dartmouth. does anyone know how far bates is from the AT?

Roland
01-14-2006, 04:00
Bates College is 70 miles from Gorham, NH (1:45 hr drive).
It's about the same time/distance from Bates to the AT road crossing on Rt 26, in Grafton Notch State Park, ME.

teachergal
01-14-2006, 12:20
UVA is in Charlottesville which is a stones throw from SNP and the Blue Ridge Parkway - it's maybe an hours drive to Skyline Drive.

DMA, 2000
01-14-2006, 19:26
Have we all forgotten VaTech?

Gobble gobble

betic4lyf
01-14-2006, 20:26
just out of interest, is this to scope out colleges, because dartmouth isn't reallythe same kind of place as some of the other school, exept williams.

Mouse
01-14-2006, 20:34
Then there is Milligan College in Johnson City TN

MorrisseyFan
01-14-2006, 21:06
East Tennessee State University is also in Johnson City, but I don't know how close it is to the trail.

weary
01-14-2006, 23:21
I'm guessing it's about 60 miles from where the AT crosses Route 4, just south of Rangely.

Bates has great people associated with it. The college owns property on the coast of Maine in the town where I live, and leases 600 acres for scientific research from a non-profit corporation of which I am one of the five trustees. I've met with Bates presidents, and some of their science and administrative people, periodically, for the past 25 years or so.

It's a Liberal Arts school with a strong science component. The recently retired head of the biology department is also one of Maine's leading poets, who once took a leave of absence to become a town codes enforcement officer and sewage disposal system inspector. It's hard to get more diverse than that.

Bates has by far the best campus food or any college I've eaten at in Maine. However, my favorite Maine Liberal Arts college is Bowdoin in Brunswick. Also a pretty fine school is the University of Maine at Farmington. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club will be holding it's annual meeting at Farmington on April 8, I believe.

Weary

betic4lyf
01-15-2006, 12:22
done with all my applications, all sent out

Dartmouth
Harvey Mudd
Northwestern
Carnegie Mellon
Cornell
Bates
Lehigh
Case Western
Bucknell
UMASS Amherst

Whistler
01-15-2006, 12:44
Good luck with your admissions! Hopefully you'll have lots of tough choices to make :)
-Mark

MizWaterfall
01-15-2006, 15:50
Mary Baldwin College is a women's liberal arts college in Staunton, VA, which is a stone's throw from Waynesboro.

Go MBC Squirrels!

DMA, 2000
01-15-2006, 17:38
You're applying to Mudd and not to Caltech?

Furlough
01-15-2006, 21:32
Lexington, Virginia is also pretty close (Washington and Lee and V.M.I. are both there).

And a quick hitch west of Lexington on 64 will take you to a great Va Community College - Dabney S Lancaster C.C. - one of the best 2 year Forestry and Wildlife programs around. :D

betic4lyf
01-15-2006, 22:34
mudd's the most liberal arts focused engineering schools. Caltech needs perfect everything, which i don't have, and from what i've heard is strait technical.

smokymtnsteve
01-16-2006, 00:12
UMASS Amherst is just loaded with liberals :banana

real left wing type commie pinkos...:D

betic4lyf
01-16-2006, 14:19
i am from newton, so if you know the area, it will look like the republican national convention in comparison. I can go to UMASS for free, because i did well on some standardized massachussetts test, so a free safety couldnt be turned down

julie
01-18-2006, 12:37
Hey betic4lyf,

If you come to Hanover for an interview, tour, or what have you, please stop in and say hello at the Dartmouth Outing Club.

There is a blue blaze trail leaving the AT and the corner of Wheelock and Main that goes straight to our offices. (I LOVE that.)

I did not go here, I just work here, so I can't comment on the quality of the education, but the students sure seem to love it. And of course we are the only Ivy with an AT section to maintain. So we clearly win. Something. :-?

Tree-girl
01-20-2006, 21:35
Bennington College. Bennington VT is actually in the Data book. Warren Wilson is another college in Asheville. Williams, MA. I'm not sure how close it is, but Middlebury maintains a section in VT.