PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Franklin NC - Spring Trip '17

HollywoodSC
09-26-2016, 13:15
I am planning a spring time 7-8 day hike from Springer Mtn to Franklin, NC....with the intent of hiking roughly 15 miles/day. I prefer to use my own tent for overnight shelter. I've tried to map out overnight locations roughly every 15 miles, but dont have a warm fuzzy that I'm picking the right stops. I don't have to stay at a designated shelter, but thought it a better idea for setting up my tent at night.

I would appreciate specific locations to camp roughly every 15 miles if anyone has experience with this length trip (Sringer to Franklin NC). Any tips appreciated too.

Thanks much,

HollywoodSC

MuddyWaters
09-26-2016, 13:29
What makes it the "right stops" in your mind?

Get AWOLs guide

My first bit of advice is that you really dont want to do that march- first half april unless you like camping with 50 others.

And if that is what u want to do, well just go with the herd.

Slo-go'en
09-26-2016, 15:56
There are campsites scattered all over that area, so it's hard to pin point all the specific places. The AT guide will show you were the most well established sites are. For the most part, the shelters are spaced 12 to 15 miles apart through there and you'd be wise to stick to the immediate area around the shelters and if nothing else, have access to the water and privy. And like MuddyWaters said, any place to camp during the spring rush will have many others trying to squeeze in too.

HollywoodSC
09-27-2016, 14:20
I'm getting AWOLs guide this weekend....as for camping with the spring rush hikers...I don't view it as a concern since I'm planning to use my tent is at all possible....more comfortable and quiet.

Slo-go'en
09-27-2016, 17:16
I'm getting AWOLs guide this weekend....as for camping with the spring rush hikers...I don't view it as a concern since I'm planning to use my tent is at all possible....more comfortable and quiet.

Shelters really only fill up if it's raining. Then it's a race to see who can get there first and score a spot. Otherwise, everyone wants to tent, which can lead to a densely packed tent city and having to settle for a poor spot if you show up late in the day (typically sloping at a significant angle and bumpy) since all the prime spots are taken.

hobbs
10-01-2016, 11:57
I know someone that was diagnosed with the same condition that hiked to Virgina..They did fine..They just had enough meds to keep it under control...They weren't on Disability tho...They just saved for their hike..I think it would be good for her...Alot of articles been published about the positive affects to Mental patients...Good luck need to hear more send a pm..