PDA

View Full Version : Bag dilema

stilllife
09-26-2016, 16:33
I have a Montbell SS #2 25* (32oz) and a Hammock Gear Burrow 0* quilt (24oz).
I am going to the Smokies in late Oct. and want to reduce my bag weight. I'm afraid the 0* quilt might be overkill. I am considering getting an Enlightened Equipment 30* quilt that weighs an amazing 17oz. I was wondering what temp some of you think that a 0* degree bag would be just to hot to use. I doubt that late Oct. it will reach the low 30's.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2016, 16:46
I would take the 0F quilt and not worry about it. If you get too many bags or quilts it's like having A-Bag-A-Month for the whole year. Going to 17oz from 24ozs? Why bother? 7 more ounces wouldn't even register with me.

stilllife
09-26-2016, 17:11
Thanks Tipi

Starchild
09-26-2016, 17:42
Another go with the 0F bag, much better to be too hot then too cold. Also the Smokies is a rain forest, so count on the possibility of being soaked by cold rain and appreciating that warmth.

nsherry61
09-26-2016, 18:02
. . . 7 more ounces wouldn't even register with me.
Tipi, You're doing a lousy job of supporting the outdoor gear industry! ;)

Tipi, 7 more ounces of quilt wouldn't register on a semi-truck's gas mileage either, but to some of us weenies, 7 oz is another step in the right direction of increased joy by killing two or three birds with one stone . . . sorta speak.

1) It's a good excuse to buy more gear so we can enjoy dreaming more while we're not on the trail, you know, retail therapy.

2) It's also a way to continue loosing pack weight for those of us that are to old and broken or to young and sporty to want to ever carry a pack like yours (or at least not carry one like that any more).

3) Finally, at least in my case, I find a 20* bag/quilt to be about perfect for most of my backpacking. So it's not just 7 oz on my next trip, but it's 7 oz on most of my trips. And, I'm almost certain that the 7 oz savings also comes with a significant volume reduction as well. So, what I would be doing is upgrading my primary sleep system not just adding one more sleeping bag/quilt to my bag-o-month club.

So yeah, you can get by with what you have. You could also get buy a a wool blanket or two. Do what makes you happy.

HooKooDooKu
09-26-2016, 20:44
Based on historical data, you need to plan for freezing temperatures at the upper elevations of GSMNP.

The average low at Clingman's Dome in late October is just barely above freezing. Given that temperatures can easily fluctuate by +/- 10º-15º, you need to plan for night time lows that could be anywhere between 20º and 50º.

That time of year, I take a 15º/20º if I'm camping at upper elevations, and a 32º if camping only at lower elevations.

Hosh
09-26-2016, 21:38
I have a Montbell SS #2 25* (32oz) and a Hammock Gear Burrow 0* quilt (24oz).
I am going to the Smokies in late Oct. and want to reduce my bag weight. I'm afraid the 0* quilt might be overkill. I am considering getting an Enlightened Equipment 30* quilt that weighs an amazing 17oz. I was wondering what temp some of you think that a 0* degree bag would be just to hot to use. I doubt that late Oct. it will reach the low 30's.

Your bag or quilt is only one part of an overall sleep system. Your pad, sleep wear, head wear, and insulating layers all figure in to what lower temperature extremes you and your system can handle. Averages are good for planning, HooKooDooKu has given you some insight into what likely extremes might look like. Only you know how you will react to different environments, but you should also account for wearing everything you will carry to meet the possible but unlikely conditions.

BTW Tipi is an experienced backpacker. He likes to have contingency for lots of things and scoffs at UL backpackers. He also has a video tutorial on how to stand up after squatting to put on a 85# pack. So in those circumstances, 7 ounces is nothing, otherwise it's 2-5% of a reasonable base weight.