PDA

View Full Version : Sht thru hike completed...

left52side
09-26-2016, 18:21
Hi everyone Ihave been on the superior hiking trail for A thru hike.
I just got back to florida today and completed the trail in 17 days including taking two zeros one.
The trail was pretty amazing and will go into my books of trails to hike on the regular.

Cheyou
09-26-2016, 19:25
Congrats. Looks like a great hike

thom

JC13
09-27-2016, 08:49
Did you take the SMD pack or something else?

left52side
09-27-2016, 10:29
Did you take the SMD pack or something else?

JC13 I took the SMD pack ,and honestly it rode like A cadillac. Was quite full with A five day resupply but still handled well.
I especially loved the easy access to the hip pockets and the size of them held everything.

Cheyou
09-27-2016, 11:23
What was your total pack weight ?

Thom

left52side
09-27-2016, 12:04
What was your total pack weight ?

Thom

Hello thom.
My total pack weight on A five day resupply(overkill)
Was right at 25 lbs.
That is my general three season set up.
I did bring A few items extra that I could have left at home and shaved A few more ounces off my base weight.

Cheyou
09-27-2016, 13:01
I had that packwas to short for me . Great pack it can hold lots of weight.

What did u use for a shelter ?

thom

left52side
09-27-2016, 17:58
What did u use for a shelter ?

I used the deshutes plus by SMD shelter.
I have often though about switching it up to A cuben shelter similar to it but honestly this shelter has been bomb proof for me(knocks on wood)>
I have put it through some gnarly storms and it always kept me high and dry thus far.

TexasBob
09-29-2016, 11:46
What was the weather like? I am curious about what the temperatures were like and did you have much rain? Did you see many other hikers (other than day hikers)? I was planning to do the trail about the same time as you but have been having foot problems so will have to wait until next September. Thanks for the info.

left52side
09-29-2016, 12:08
What was the weather like? I am curious about what the temperatures were like and did you have much rain? Did you see many other hikers (other than day hikers)? I was planning to do the trail about the same time as you but have been having foot problems so will have to wait until next September. Thanks for the info.[/COLOR]]
Hi there Bob the weather was very nice for hiking imho.
It was lo to mid sixties in the day and only dropped below 40 one or two nights.
Mostly stay in lo fifties ...
It did rain more than I would have liked but thats not saying much lol.
In 17 days I seen rain five times,but the rain up there seems to be different than rain in florida,
(in florida it only rains for ten minutes five time a day lol,in minnesota it seems to rain all day and night lol.)
There were A few other hikers on the trail but not many,maybe six or so, we kind of kept passing ewach other and etc,would occasionly camp at the same site.
I believe A few of them quit before completing.
The bugs were non to speak of really.
Honestly if im back from my thru hike next year in time I will likly leave A week or so later .

TexasBob
09-29-2016, 18:20
Thanks. Did you happen to run into a friend of mine from Houston named Dave (in his 60's like me) ? He is thru hiking and you may have crossed paths. We were planning on hiking together untill my foot problems started.

left52side
09-29-2016, 19:01
Thanks. Did you happen to run into a friend of mine from Houston named Dave (in his 60's like me) ? He is thru hiking and you may have crossed paths. We were planning on hiking together untill my foot problems started.

Hmm Dave in his 60s does not ring A bell to me honestly.
I really only met maybe six other sobo thru hikers along my trip and some section hikers,mostly females.