PDA

View Full Version : Knoxville Tennessee / AT access points

jgillam
09-27-2016, 08:50
Greetings, my son and I will be visiting the Knoxville are in mid-November for a youth football tournament.

In our downtime, we would like to get on the AT for a short hike. Can someone recommend me a good, easy and scenic access point close to Knoxville?

Thank you in advance.

TNhiker
09-27-2016, 08:52
There are a couple of places---newfound gap......or the interstate 40 area........

or you can take other trails that connect to the AT...

TNhiker
09-27-2016, 08:53
Or up by clingmans-----which would provide a nice scenic ridge line hike....

illabelle
09-27-2016, 09:10
To get to Newfound Gap or Clingman's Dome will be about a 2-hour drive, depending on where in Knoxville you are. Clingman's Dome is on a half-mile asphalt trail from a parking lot that is often very crowded with tourists - though it might be good in mid-November. Could do an out-and-back hike on a piece of the AT from there or NFG.

To get to Davenport Gap (I-40 east of the Park) is about 1.5 hours. From there you could head south into the Park, or north and visit Max Patch. If you have only a few hours, I'd suggest Max Patch. It's a quick drive off the interstate, and a pretty quick hike with a rewarding view - and not at all touristy.

jgillam
09-27-2016, 09:13
Wow!! Thank you all very much. I wasn't expecting so much information, so quickly.

FlyPaper
09-27-2016, 09:18
If you go to NewFound Gap, you can hike ~4 miles north on the AT to Charlie's Bunion for a fantastic view. That's 8 miles of hiking round trip. And keep a close eye on the kids. There are sharp drop offs at Charlie's Bunion.

If that is too far of a hike, Clingman's Dome is a good option. The views on the AT are better when hiking south on the AT from Clingman's Dome.

At Davenport Gap/I-40, I don't recall any great views.

Max Patch is awesome, but you'll have to drive several miles uphill on a dirt road to get to it.

illabelle
09-27-2016, 09:27
Max Patch, just to whet your appetite. :)
http://hstaadmin.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/max_patch_02.jpg

Traffic Jam
09-27-2016, 09:40
Unfortunately, there's not quick access to any easy sections of the AT from Knoxville. The options are to drive 2 hrs to NFG/Clingman's Dome, as previously mentioned, or climb 5-6 miles to access the ridgeline.

I like illabelle's suggestion of Max Patch.

If you're willing to consider other trails, the Deep Creek area is cool...easy hiking with waterfalls.

If you're staying in west Knoxville, it's 45 min via Townsend to the southern/Tennessee section of the park (Cade's Cove area) with numerous hiking opportunities.

Tennessee Viking
09-27-2016, 09:48
Not much
Davenport Gap, I40-Pigeon River/Standing Bear Farm, NewFoundGap, or the curvy drive to Fontana

peakbagger
09-27-2016, 10:00
Unless the road has substantially improved the road to Max Patch was decidedly "rural" and was not easy to follow to a first timer. I had a Delorme Road Atlas in 2002 and needed it. I thought the hike up Snowbird? from the I 40 was a nice one.

Traffic Jam
09-27-2016, 10:22
Unless the road has substantially improved the road to Max Patch was decidedly "rural" and was not easy to follow to a first timer. I had a Delorme Road Atlas in 2002 and needed it. I thought the hike up Snowbird? from the I 40 was a nice one.

If my dumb a** can figure it out...well, just sayin'. :D
(just teasing)

Turn left at the fork, that's the only tricky part. Be warned, when returning to I-40 W from Max Patch, the access road is closed due to construction (unless they've completed it recently) and you have to head towards Asheville for 5-6 miles before you can turn around.

illabelle
09-27-2016, 11:07
Unless the road has substantially improved the road to Max Patch was decidedly "rural" ...

Somehow it pleases me that the drive to Max Patch takes you from 70 mph asphalt interstate highway at NC Exit 7 to 20 mph rough gravel road within the space of a hundred yards or so. Where else can you go so quickly from civilization to nature!

johnacraft
09-27-2016, 11:22
Greetings, my son and I will be visiting the Knoxville are in mid-November for a youth football tournament.

In our downtime, we would like to get on the AT for a short hike. Can someone recommend me a good, easy and scenic access point close to Knoxville?

Thank you in advance.

Another vote for Clingmans Dome - this view (https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNDbBXpYGMu8vyN2oS0Sxr1vM15MfdIwihJxmuej1wIdR 9u-b04u40JcMjdyr_suw) is a short distance (1/4 mile) west of the viewing tower on the AT.

But in mid-November, US 441 from Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap and the side road to Clingmans Dome could be closed temporarily due to snow and ice.

The Park reports road closures here (https://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps). Max Patch is a great backup plan.

Emerson Bigills
09-27-2016, 20:44
It's not the AT, but go up Mt. Leconte. Plenty of trails to choose from. I love Alum Cave, but to each his own.

volleypc
10-03-2016, 11:19
I used to live in Knoxville and most of my trips were over to Cades Cove. It's not the A.T. but one of my favorite hikes out of Cades Cove is to Gregory's Bald. You can also hike out of Cades Cove up to Spence Field (A.T.). My other favorite trip was over to Fontana Dam (A.T.).

Cades Cove will be your most scenic and historic option. Fontana Dam has a great visitor center talking about the engineering challenges of building the dam, especially during that time period. I think for a youth either option would be great.

A third option although a little further away is a trip over to Roan Mountain. It's a fairly easy drive from Knoxville.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:38
That's a beautiful part of the trail. Happy hiking!