PDA

View Full Version : Care Packages for Hikers

Cuffs
01-11-2006, 22:53
I would like input / thoughts on sending a care package to a hiker(s) that I havent even met...

Say a hiker has their drops listed on a place like trailjournals.com... Is it acceptable to send goodies? Whether it be gear or perishables (food)?

I will be thru-hiking in '07, and I have gained volumes of information from following other's journals. Is it ok or appropriate to thank them in this way?

What about just letters of encouragement instead of goods? I know I would be hesitant to eat something that came from someone I didnt even know...

Thanks for your feedback!!

drsukie
01-11-2006, 23:16
I am starting my thruhike the Spring, and what I have learned from other distance hikers who are friends (none of them AT thruhikers, who are all jealous as HELL that I am going this year) that 1) yes, letters and notes are appreciated and needed; 2) I am already telling my pals that brownies, peanut brittle, and many other high-carb and fun treats are not only welcome, but mandatory.

Friends and past thruhikers know that you are sacrificing a lot (and getting more in return, I wager) so I have no problems asking them for spectacular treats. Given the apparent attraction for pizza on the Trail, I am also seriously considering asking for Pizza Hut Gift Certificates!

Thru-hikers, Section Hikers et -al..... am I nuts? :confused: Sue

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 08:44
Would be food that I cannot readily (if at all) find in trail towns that I am accustomed to eating. Ideally, this food would be highly nutritious and practical for hiking, e.g., easy to prepare if it even needs cooking (wild rice would be out, sad to say), and low in water. Of course, anything that is a comfort food (that doesn't need cooking) would be a consideration. For example, I just found a store near my home carrying some yummy (I tasted some) shelf-stable cheese of Swiss origin (from the country, not "Swiss" cheese) that is assuredly going in some of my maildrops.

Money's never a bad idea, either, along with new hiker-grade socks or undies...