PDA

View Full Version : Portable Cell Phone battery charger

JZS50
09-27-2016, 20:55
Any suggestions? I know Anker 10000 mah has been mentioned. Obviously weight is an issue, speed is not as I have plenty of time on the trail.

Thanks.

tflaris
09-27-2016, 20:56
10,000 mah is what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Half
09-27-2016, 21:19
I have a RavPower 16000mAh but have never carried it hiking. It lasts me a week of heavy usage and recharges my iphone5 at least 7 times (draining down to 20% or less). It does take a long time to fully recharge it.

scrabbler
09-27-2016, 21:26
Any suggestions? I know Anker 10000 mah has been mentioned. Obviously weight is an issue, speed is not as I have plenty of time on the trail.

Thanks.

What did you find about that Anker that you did not like? Its about the best in that quality/capacity/availability/weight equation.

soumodeler
09-27-2016, 21:41
Anker is about the best out there.

JZS50
09-27-2016, 21:50
Sounds like Anker is way to go, the 5200 Anker claims 2 charges and only weighs 4.2 ounces. The 10,000 claims 3.9 charges but is 8.2 ounces.

scrabbler
09-27-2016, 21:55
The number of charges you get will depend on your device, the temperature, etc. Just go by available MaH capacity and weight. More MaH is good, pick your poisons.

SkeeterPee
09-27-2016, 22:08
here is a link to a recent discussion of small light chargers. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/121063-Portable-Cell-Phone-battery-charger

I figured I did not need a huge charger for short tirps, but I think if I was doing extended hikes with resupply, I would look for something with fast charging since you may be limited to 30 mins here, 60 mins there, unless you plan a overnight stay where you might be able to charge all night.

Secondmouse
09-27-2016, 23:10
I have Anker 13600. It fully charges my iPhone 6s 4 or 5 times. I use my iPhone for calls/etc. as well as weather, music, flashlight, GPS, route app, and kindle-reader.

I also use a 1.3oz Goal Zero Fan tool to use when it's too hot to sleep. it just plugs right into the USB port in the Anker...

Deacon
09-28-2016, 06:40

Thanks.

What trail will be using your charger on? Assuming you'll be on the AT, you will never be more than 4-5 days from an electric outlet from which to charge your phone and Anker charger.

In my experience, the 3000mAh Anker Astro Mini, at 3 ounces, is more than enough to get me to the next charging point. The mini will charge an iPhone 6 one and a half times.

I only have an iPhone 6 to charge but if you have additional equipment then you may need a higher capacity charger.

My use of my phone includes the camera, nightly journal entry, and a daily call to my wife if signal allows. It is critical though to keep the phone in airplane mode in between calls, to save battery.

hikernutcasey
09-28-2016, 08:47
I have the Anker 5200 and I can get two full charges plus a small start on a third on my Iphone 6. It works great.

10-K
09-28-2016, 08:49
To answer your question we'd need to know how long between access to electricity you'll be experiencing.

Maybe you don't need anything, maybe you need a super-hi capacity battery...

I've got several - from a lipstick battery that'll take me from 10% to 40% to a 1lb 2oz monster that'll hold me for 8 days. Where I'm hiking dictates what battery I'll take.

Slo-go'en
09-28-2016, 10:29
A small, light and cheap 2200 maH battery pack is all I need for the AT. You should be able to recharge every 3-4 days anyway and with good power management you might not need the battery pack at all.

Of course, how well the battery in your phone holds up depends on a lot of factors. Like how good the battery in the phone is and how much you use the phone and for what. If you need to talk a lot or browse and upload social media often, then that will drain the phone quickly. Keeping the phone in airplane mode and using air time sparsely will greatly extend the life of the battery.

Diamondlil
09-29-2016, 16:36
I use a Mophie charger, weighs 5.6 oz. it charges my iPhone 6, 3 full charges from 10%. I used it for three weeks on the AT only needed to charge it in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
09-29-2016, 18:24
We took a 11200mAh brick with us on a ten day section on the AT. Gorilla Gadgets Uhuru, 8.4oz. Wife used it several times for her 5c, I never used it for my 6+, I was in airplane and low power the entire time. 5-6 days in we hit town and I charged my phone then. next go I will use it for the GoPro most likely so it will be used heavier potentially.

gbolt
09-29-2016, 20:51
I purchased a Rave Power 10,400mh and did a review on it: https://youtu.be/RQ1vskxq-kUhttps://youtu.be/RQ1vskxq-kU. I enjoyed using it and liked it on Backbacking trips.
It is slightly heavy at over 8oz., but the size was very manageable / packable, two charging ports and the price was right. It worked so well that my daughter took it when she moved out. Now I am in the market for a replacement.

I am pretty sure I am going with the Anker Power Core 10000. Reasons, size of a small deck of cards and smaller than my I Phone, around 6 oz, 3 charges at a faster rate, smart technology so no risk of damage to the battery or what it is charging (this is a key for me) and finally, great reviews. While the Anker 5200 was tempting, reviews where not nearly as overwhelming and the durability and life of the external battery was questionable. When going under 5200mh, there seems to be no smart technology and a risk of damaging the more expensive piece of technology being charged.

The price of this Anker is $5 more than the Rave Power; yet, I am dropping 3 oz. for that $5. I also feel, I may be gaining a faster recharging pace. One review, the individual was able to recharge his phone from 0 to 100% in only 45 minutes. The Rave Power did take longer than that. My only and last question to research is to find out if the Anker Power Core can recharge the phone while charging itself. The Rave Power could be plugged into the electric outlet and have two items being charged by pass through current. Once both were charged the charging to them would stop and the external battery would continue to finish recharging. Hoping that this pass through technology holds true for the Power Core.

Interesting to hear everyone's take on this item.

egilbe
09-30-2016, 12:26
I have an Anker solar charger that works well, if you have sunlight. Found it wasn't so good in the green tunnel, but it should be better on trails out west that aren't so tree covered. Weighs 130z

I have the 10,000 Anker battery, no complaints. weighs 6.7 oz.

Leo L.
10-01-2016, 03:50
For all considerations concerning battery and recharging you might take into account that the capacity of both, the one in the device, and the one in the recharger, diminishes over time.
While for my Sony smartphone I could get 3 full days of tracking and from my Varta powerpack two full recharges of the Sony when both devices had been brand-new (so both together were good for 9 days on the trail), now after almost two years of usage the Sony has lost some capacity (can't give you exact numbers), and the Varta can recharge the Sony only 1.5 times, so now both are good for about 6 days on the trail only.
Reading reviews on Amazon, I've heard similar complaints about the RAVpower device.

rocketsocks
10-01-2016, 04:04
As the cold weather approaches, remember that charging from a cold battery will greatly deminish its capacity, keep em close to the vest so to speak, unless you have a galaxy, and in that case... run away run away!

mauiarcher
10-10-2016, 20:39
As the cold weather approaches, remember that charging from a cold battery will greatly deminish its capacity, keep em close to the vest so to speak, unless you have a galaxy, and in that case... run away run away!

now that is funny.

jjozgrunt
10-10-2016, 21:07
I have a Anker 26800 mAh power pack, yes it's big and weighs more than a pound. With so long between resupplies and towns in Oz I need it. It charges the phone, headlight, and inReach.

Can't be bothered getting a new one for the AT and I'm sure it will come in handy for those that run out to "Yogi" some power.