PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi Gap to Waynet Bald Shelter

JZS50
09-27-2016, 22:07
Any suggestions on this trip of a possible resupply point? Easy, close, accessible.

JC13
09-28-2016, 07:51
Franklin, NC and the N.O.C. are your only easy options after Dicks Creek Gap.

JC13
09-28-2016, 07:56
Scratch the N.O.C., not enough coffee. So from Unicoi you will cross Dicks Creek Gap which requires a shuttle to town and Franklin, NC which also requires a shuttle. Hiawassee is 11mi from Dicks Creek and Franklin is 10mi from Winding Stair Gap.

JZS50
09-28-2016, 09:14
Thanks, I am assuming you have to 'arrange' ahead of time the shuttle. i.e. not running back and forth daily? :)

JC13
09-28-2016, 10:17
ToG at Dicks Creek has a shuttle to Hiawassee twice a day at a scheduled time, it is free if you stay and I have heard of people taking it that didn't stay. This time of year though, the free ride with no stay may not happen. Your other option is to call Ron Brown to get shuttled. The shuttles to Franklin will be similar, you will need to call a shuttle provider unless you can yogi a ride or hitch.

MuddyWaters
09-28-2016, 10:47
I dont know if you can do it, but if you dropped it off in person, and maybe paid them, you might be able to get standing indian campground to hold a resupply for you if they are open. But its eadier to go into hiawassee.

Now, if you wants to get creative......park at standing indian campground. Leave resupply in car. Shuttle to unicoi. Hike to standing indian. Grab resupply and shuttle to wayah. Hike back to standing indian sobo.

Or....leave vehicle at any parking area trail crosses, and do same.

Or....mail resupply to a shuttle provider, and have them meet u with it.

V Eight
09-29-2016, 13:04
So from Unicoi you will cross Dicks Creek Gap which requires a shuttle to town and Franklin, NC which also requires a shuttle. Hiawassee is 11mi from Dicks Creek and Franklin is 10mi from Winding Stair Gap.

I have hitched to and from both of these towns and trail crossings multiple times with minimal wait time on either end. The folks in that area are used to seeing hikers looking for a ride.

V8