PDA

View Full Version : Long term tarp storage.

Farfyter
09-28-2016, 07:57
In or out of stuff sack?

nsherry61
09-28-2016, 08:06
Doesn't much matter as long as it's dry and away from temperature extremes and chemical vapors.

nuknees
09-28-2016, 08:09
Out...same as a sleeping bag. Tightly compressed in a stuff sack for long periods (1+ yr) could cause weak points in folds and wrinkles. Had it happen to a rainfly.

10-K
09-28-2016, 08:47
What material is your shelter made from?

All of my cuben shelters hang from an overhead beam in our basement.

All of my silnylon shelters are stored in stuff sacks.

Miner
09-28-2016, 10:04
My first cube fiber tarp, I had for 8 years. I always left it in its stuff sack. Never had an issue with any weakness where it folded. Not that I folded it exactly the same each time. You do want to make sure it's dry after a trip before storing.

Sandy of PA
09-28-2016, 10:23
In stuff sack, clean and dry. With all the space needed for my down, I would need another closet to keep my sleeping pads and tents out of their bags and away from my kitties.

garlic08
09-28-2016, 11:14
Depends on space available too. I don't have much so I store mine in bags, after it's thoroughly dried with a dose of UV from the sun, and it's never suffered. But if I had enough dry hanging space, I'd use that instead.

Heliotrope
09-28-2016, 13:07
I keep my tarps loosely folded not in stuff sacks and stored on an open Bakers rack. And in a dry room. Of course I always hang them to dry after trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kisco Kid
09-28-2016, 13:13
#1 is to make sure your tarp/tent is dry. I lay mine out over a banister for 24 hours. Then you can store it anyway you want.

Sleeping bags are another story: down especially will lose its loft if stored in a stuffsack. They should be stored in a cotton sleeping bag storage sack

stir crazy
10-19-2016, 12:05
I hang pretty much everything in the basement - tents, sleeping bags, tarps, hammock, rain gear, camelbak. It looks like a used rei garage sale except more odorous. Looking at it gives me a full history of my buying cycle from heavy and cheap to light and expensive. There's a lesson there somewhere. I haven't entered the cuben era yet but I'm anxious. My wife is going to kill me:)