PDA

View Full Version : pop up tents

Orlando
09-28-2016, 11:21
I use, on alternate short section hikes, a GoLite Shangri-La 1 tent which uses my trekking poles, or my Amok Draumr 3 Hammock. There are many evenings after a long day I wish to set up neither! Has anyone ever used one of those waterproof, instant pop up tents? I do not hike in extreme conditions or very cold weather, so protection from extreme weather is not an issue. Zippy makes one, as does Rightline Gear. They weigh a tad over 4lbs, and pop up instantly and fold away in seconds. They use spikes to grip the ground but me on my pad would be adequate. In other words, all my effort is on hiking and food prep, not prepping camp! Any opinions?

Starchild
09-28-2016, 12:30
They were quite common in europe in the alps.

I have 2 of them, a 2 person and a 4 person, they are excellent for car camping, roomy, and are watertight (Coleman models)

Be careful about not staking, yes you can get away with it, till you can't with a sudden gust of wind, all of a sudden you tent is about a foot above you and your weight is the only thing holding it down, forget abouyt a nighttime pee unless you have a pee bottle.

I might consider backpacking with it if the hike distance is short, the desirability of popup is high (like finishing at night), or if the coolness factor is there (group hiking)

chknfngrs
09-28-2016, 13:14
I feel like this would be a turn in the wrong direction for you

Orlando
09-28-2016, 18:04
Thanks for your insight.

MtDoraDave
09-29-2016, 07:20
Save 2 minutes a day to add 3 lbs to your pack?

... or is the Shangri-La slower to pitch? There are several trekking pole supported tents that pitch in 1 to 2 minutes.

Either way, do as you wish. HYOH, enjoy yourself with whatever gear you decide on.

Orlando
09-29-2016, 11:36
With the pop ups, which weigh a little over 4lbs, I'd be saving 1 lb if I replaced the Amok. I would be adding 2.5 lbs if i replaced the tent. My thinking was, literally, you take the pop up out, and its up. In a second. period. No poles to anchor, no straps to tie off to trees. Poof, my tent is up and I am lighting my Esbit cube while others are still pulling their packs off! And in the morning, poof, its folded away and I am drinking my Tang while people are still crawling out of their hammocks. Just really a thought of convenience. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment!

Moosling
09-30-2016, 22:36
With the pop ups, which weigh a little over 4lbs, I'd be saving 1 lb if I replaced the Amok. I would be adding 2.5 lbs if i replaced the tent. My thinking was, literally, you take the pop up out, and its up. In a second. period. No poles to anchor, no straps to tie off to trees. Poof, my tent is up and I am lighting my Esbit cube while others are still pulling their packs off! And in the morning, poof, its folded away and I am drinking my Tang while people are still crawling out of their hammocks. Just really a thought of convenience. I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment!

Give it a test run if it works for you and you don't mind the weight go for it. Too many people are putting labels on everything if ultralight is your thing go for it, if comfort and accessibility is what you want then do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickNgrin
09-30-2016, 22:46
pop tent… bad
pop tart… good

And only two letters different!

rocketsocks
10-01-2016, 03:57
pop tent… bad
pop tart… good

And only two letters different!im lysdexic too

Orlando
10-01-2016, 18:56
Love pop tarts! Thanks everyone for your opinion!