PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop questions

greene_dawg
09-28-2016, 22:13
Looking for a few days in the trail in SW NC and this appears to be a good loop. Will be taking our time and doing it over three nights. I do have a few questions.

What is the best map to use for the area? I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Is there a preferred direction?

We are doing this from Sat-Tues. Any specific recommended campsites. Thinking that the crowds will thin a touch after Sunday.

How is the water? I live in Alabama and assume that it has been equally as dry up there so crossing my fingers on water sources.

Thanks in advance!!!

Fireplug
09-28-2016, 23:57
Are you talking about Standing Indian near Deep Gap???? I was just at that place in June

Ted M
09-29-2016, 08:47
I've hiked that loop counter-clockwise in both spring and late fall and found plenty of water. I have detailed track/waypoint logs I can send you if want. I used a combination of AWOL's book for the AT and the National Geographic map for the campground trails you need to take to make it a loop. I started at the map board in the campground. Two nights was more than enough for me since once do the one climb up to Standing Indian Mountain it's fairly level till you descend down back to the start.

bigcranky
09-29-2016, 09:01
Note that several of the obvious places to camp have been closed by the forest service due to overuse. If I remember correctly, the tent camping area at Standing Indian Shelter is closed, also Betty Creek Gap and Big Spring Gap. So you can camp at Beech Gap and near the shelter at Carter Gap, and there are a handful of tent sites at the new Long Branch Shelter. Of course you can also stay in any of the three shelters on the route.

I kind of like doing this loop counter-clockwise, hiking up the Kimsey Creek Trail from the Standing Indian Campground. You are right that the crowds will thin out Sunday night, but expect Saturday night to be busy anywhere you are.

We did this loop over Memorial Day Weekend, and I posted a trip report here. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119183-Standing-Indian-Loop-over-Memorial-Day)

Hope you enjoy it, it's a beautiful hike.

greene_dawg
09-29-2016, 14:30
Hi Ted. Which NatGeo map?

Slo-go'en
09-29-2016, 15:39
You really don't need a map. The Kimsey creek trail is easy to find at the campground and leads you directly to Deep Gap (the last time I was on that trail, several years past, it was a bit of a rough trail), at which point you hang a left and go up the AT (up past the end of the parking lot). At the north end, the trail comes out on the road which leads back down into the campground.

Ashepabst
09-29-2016, 15:43
Hi Ted. Which NatGeo map?

#785......

Uncle Joe
09-29-2016, 16:54
You really don't need a map. The Kimsey creek trail is easy to find at the campground and leads you directly to Deep Gap (the last time I was on that trail, several years past, it was a bit of a rough trail), at which point you hang a left and go up the AT (up past the end of the parking lot). At the north end, the trail comes out on the road which leads back down into the campground.

I did Kimsey back in May. It wasn't too bad. Some turns to watch for but the trail was pretty decent. One huge tree across the trail but easy enough to get over.

tour-kid
09-29-2016, 19:56
I used the nat geo map
i did it in one night earlier this week

tour-kid
09-29-2016, 20:02
There are great capsizes over the entire length, including Kinsey trail and long branch trail.
long branch shelter is lovely, but I didn't stay there.
i camped in the rhodendrums about a mile south of carter gap shelter.
had no trouble finding water
the incline up to Albert mountain fire tower was fun, so I recommend counter clockwise

smithjv
10-12-2016, 23:42
I did it last year.
Albert Mtn firetower is a great view if clear; awesome if low clouds.

You can't buy views like that; you have to earn them.

If you need hiking partners, there are a few down here in Warner Robins:-}

Trailweaver
10-13-2016, 02:19
I was just there (today!) & it's beautiful. Yes, some old campsites are closed, but there are some great ones still there, & plenty of them. One terrific one is at the top (not at the shelter) of Standing Indian. Go all the way up - views are spectacular, & there are numerous sites along a ridge at the top to the right. Water in the area as a whole is very scarce & many creeks are dry. Someone had left some gallon jugs of water at Deep Gap, & I am very grateful for that! Thank you!