PDA

View Full Version : Question about packs - What to avoid...

mnof1000v
01-12-2006, 01:53
First, some background...

I've done a few overnights in my history, and many day hikes, but I've never needed much stuff with me. As a result, I've never felt the need to buy a useful long-distance pack. I've generally made due with borrowed packs, or my small Eddie Bauer backpack from college.

Now, I'm hitting the AT in March. All my gear is ready, but I've not bought a pack. I plan on stomping around the store, gear in tow, trying out an assortment of packs before I buy.

I've heard good things about Gregory, but then again, other people like Kelty.

I know the selection of a pack is a highly personal thing, and I have some ideas about what I'm looking for, so I really don't expect - nor do I need - specific pack suggestions, but.... that being said...

Without regard to the specific pack you purchased, what brands have you had the most positive experiences with:sun , and which have you hated most :datz ?

Wolfpaw
01-12-2006, 03:12
try them
all on with weight to see what fits best thats most imortant. i like osprey stuff. good luck

frieden
01-12-2006, 07:22
I tried a women's Kelty pack on in the store, and it felt great. I bought it. The first hike out, the straps kept slipping. I had to adjust them constantly. See if the store will let you fill up the pack, and walk around for an hour or two.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-12-2006, 08:48
just because your using it for long distance doesnt mean that it has to be huge. i pack the same for 2 nights as i do for 2 months other than food. food weighs the most and takes up the most space.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-12-2006, 09:17
Best and worst were from the same outfit, Kelty. Both bought about 18 months apart. The Super Tioga external had a waist belt that killed me after 5 hours or so, no matter how light the load. The Ultra Tioga could carry any load forever without any discomfort at all. In the long run though it was just too big and too heavy for my current style of hiking
I have a Deuter now that I love and to be honest I don't even glance at other packs in the outfitters. The Deuter was sized to my gear and endurance, and professionally fit. It took about 2 hours to get the frame stay bent to fit my back exactly right, and it makes all the difference in the world.

general
01-12-2006, 09:38
i like the mystery ranch deep trance. it's got lumbar support. takes some weight off your hips.

Alligator
01-12-2006, 09:39
Both my Osprey and Arc'teryx packs have been excellent. The hip belt configuration on the Osprey is superb. I would be careful considering an ARc'teryx, the one I own is fairly heavy, but it is a very large pack. Otherwise, a well built product.

If you go to an outfitter, be aware that they may only carry certain product lines of packs, so you may need to go to another outfitter to see other companies.

the goat
01-12-2006, 11:26
i've got 4000+ miles on my gregory whitney. it still rides like a dream, it handles 55+ lbs really well, although many would consider the pack "too heavy".

Footslogger
01-12-2006, 11:41
I'm a convert from Gregory to Granite Gear. Who knows ...maybe I just have a thing for the letter "G".

Seriously though, I still own a Gregory Shasta that I refuse to part with. I would still consider using it for long Winter expeditions out here in Wyoming.

I started my thru with a Gregory Reality. Hiked it all the way to Pearisburg, where I cut over to my lighter weight gear/clothing. Seemed like I was paying a penalty for the weight of that pack, given all the empty space so I hitched into Blacksburg and the outfitter showed me the Granite Gear Vaport Trail. I loaded all my stuff in it and threw it on my back. I was hooked and never looked back.

In that single maneuver I went from a total load of about 45 lbs down to 26 lbs. Now I'll admit that a healthy portion of that weight loss was due to the clothing/gear cutover I mentioned before. But the difference in carrying comfort alone made it worth the switch.

You're original question asked something about what to steer away from in terms of packs. I would personally answer that by saying that the simpler the better on a distance hike. I would suggest you consider avoiding a pack with a lot of straps, pouches and gimmicks. They look cool on the wall at the outfitter but in practice out on the trail they can become high maintenance.

Just my thoughts ...

'Slogger

springerfever
01-12-2006, 11:53
Good idea to take your gear with you to the outfitter. Don't buy too large, that only encourages you to take extra stuff.

My 2003 Osprey Aether 60 I bought from Winton at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. He actually help me load it up and I took off up Blood Mountain. Couple of hours later, I was back and bought the Osprey. It really sold itself!!

Try to find an outfitter that has a liberal exchange/return policy, such as REI. Your pack is one of your more critical decisions...Good luck !!

SteveK
01-12-2006, 11:54
Very light, comfortable pack. Virtually unlimited capacity, though contents must be in some sort of stuff sack. See this link:

http://www.geocities.com/gearskinpics/

SteveK

jasonklass
01-12-2006, 21:48
For me it's been Gregory, Osprey, Golite, ULA. All of these fit me well and have features I like. Packs I didn't like: EMS and North Face.

Just Jeff
01-12-2006, 22:42
My GoLite Speed has been great for loads under 25 lbs and tolerable for 35-40 lbs. 30 is about the cut-off for comfort...coincidentally, that's what it rated at...

Seeker
01-14-2006, 13:59
See if the store will let you fill up the pack...

if an "outfitter" won't let you do this, you don't need to buy from them... take your business elsewhere.

Twofiddy
01-14-2006, 19:58
I am an outfitter, and I have worked in outdoor business for 10 years.

Take what I have to say for what it is worth, some one elses opinion.

Three brands of backpacks can be found in just about ever single outfitter store along the AT. Make no mistakes about it, there is a reason for this, you would not want to purchase a Jeep 2500 that is only built and sold in China, and try to take it to an American Jeep dealer to get it serviced. You want to buy something that can be found all along the trail if one of them fits you right.

Granite Gear, Gregory, and Osprey, all three, can be found in just about every single outfitter store along the trail from Neals Gap to Gorham. If a pack from one of these three fits you then I think that you would be making a good choice. Other good pack brands include ULA, Dana, Mystery Ranch (Dana's new company), Lowe Alpine, Kelty, and Arc'Teryx. However you wont find those brands in every store, actually you wont even find them in every third store. Stick with one of the first three, and if you have any issues along the way, you wont have any problems dealing with the people in the shops. It is not unusual for them to call the MFG and get an authorization to just swap you out for a brand new pack if you have a problem. The other brands wont do that, The North Face packs are flat out JUNK!!! That pivotal system is the worst junk that I have ever seen. No one who ever went backpacking designed that crap.

Try the packs on. Goto a good outfitter store, like Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, or find the small local shop that is in your town. Watch out for bad info from places like Galyans, Dicks, Rei, Scheels, and other places. Many of the people there have never been out of there home town and dont have a clue how to fit a pack, pack a pack, or let alone even know how to go backpacking.

Any questions??

This is a great place to ask em.

verber
01-14-2006, 23:47
Pack fit is very personal. The mainstream packs I have had the best luck with are made by Granite Gear (especially the Vapor Trail) and by Osprey (especially the Aether 60). There are a number of "cottage" manufacturers which makes great packs as well. My best suggestion is try a number of packs until you find one that works well for you. A bunch more thoughts at http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html

Lumberjack
01-15-2006, 10:05
oversized packs
over-weight packs

figure out the rest of your equipment first and then buy the lightest pack that will carry it comfortably.

sparky2000
01-15-2006, 10:23
I find that the more one studies the right answer the more or less...... try it MY Way, a mistake today can be corrected tomorrow. Start with too much stuff, suffer, then slowely correct to the next mistake. The great analyst Bill Bryson said he hates it when gear is talked about on the trail when nothing can be done about it. The backpack loaded should not weigh more then 20% of one's body weight is the right rule today. Tomorrow, after you've hiked for a thousand miles and have lost twenty lbs., the rule might be 40%.

Jack Tarlin
01-15-2006, 11:49
I think Fiddy's post made a great deal of sense, including getting professionally fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. The number one problem people get into with packs is not buying the wrong one brand-wise, but not getting the right size, the right model, and the right adjustments for their particular body/frame.

The most popular packs on the A.T. in recent years have been made by Granite Gear. Personally, I prefer Osprey, and have worn their packs since 1997, including seven thru-hikes all with Ospreys. Their customer service department is superb, tho I've actually had to make very little use of it. For your trip, I'd loook at their Aether 60 or 75, or the Crescent 70. If you're thinking of going smaller, check out the Atmos 50.

Their website, www.ospreypacks.com, will give you info on stores close to you who stock these (I think you may have to go into Boston).

Twofiddy
01-23-2006, 11:39
I think Fiddy's post made a great deal of sense, including getting professionally fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. The number one problem people get into with packs is not buying the wrong one brand-wise, but not getting the right size, the right model, and the right adjustments for their particular body/frame.

The most popular packs on the A.T. in recent years have been made by Granite Gear. Personally, I prefer Osprey, and have worn their packs since 1997, including seven thru-hikes all with Ospreys. Their customer service department is superb, tho I've actually had to make very little use of it. For your trip, I'd loook at their Aether 60 or 75, or the Crescent 70. If you're thinking of going smaller, check out the Atmos 50.

Their website, www.ospreypacks.com (http://www.ospreypacks.com), will give you info on stores close to you who stock these (I think you may have to go into Boston).

Jack, at times I thought that you highly disagreed with me on most things that I have discussed or been involved with on the trail... good to see that we are in agreement on this subject.

You do amaze me. I know that you dont live a lavish life style in a million dollar house with a brand new corvette in the garage, and that you just really live along this trail making work when needed and over the winters in Hanover. I respect the hell out of you because you have been able to figure out how to do that and be happy. I find that I am still on a quest for money, I dont know why, but it motivates me still. I try to justify it by placing my self in the mindset that I want to make it in the outdoor business by helping others who are like you and beyond but I really want to do it because it seams to be the easiest way for me to make a living and be happy.

Anyhow Happy New Year and before you know it Thru-Hike season will be upon us. Say what day are you leaving Springer this year??

khaynie
01-23-2006, 11:55
My wife carried Gregory's Z pack on our thru. The pack itself held up fine, but she was constantly adjusting the load lifters and the shoulder straps...that seemed to be a constant complaint from almost everyone who carried that model. Osprey's Aether 60 is what I carried and it held up the entire way. It is still good as new minus the stinch.

All of the other posts made sense, i.e., find one that fits and can be returned or exchanged if you run into trouble.

Jack Tarlin
01-23-2006, 19:57
Fiddy:

Thanx for the kind words.

By the way, I occasionally am on the lookout for money, too, but at this point, I'm not overly disappointed when the quest is unsuccessful!

And as to Springer, who told you I was gonna be there this year? There are other mountains ya know. :)

At present, by knee doesn't seem to wanna climb anything higher than a barstool at Five-Olde. In six weeks, who knows? St. Patrick's Day in Georgia might be kind of fun. But for now, the only thing that's certain is that nothing is certain.