PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle for Art Loeb Trail

allmebloominlife
10-01-2016, 16:34
Got a group of 3-4 hiking the Art Loeb N to S Oct 20-23. Need a shuttle and could use some recommendations.

Also so any recommendations for campsites headed south would be great. We will be driving in from Huntsville, AL and will be hiking in after dark. Looking to get between 2-5 miles Thursday.

Thanks

Mr. Bumpy
10-01-2016, 18:42
Are you aware of the bear canister requirement in effect in the Shining Rock Wilderness? It is actively being enforced by ticket and by being required to pull camp and leave.

You will have to camp at the gap at the base of cold mountain, which is dry, so cary water. There is camping on cold mountain which is worth the climb for the view, and there is traditionally a reliable trickle of water near the top, but I haven't been up there this year.

I always recommend that unless for some reason that you must do the entire thing, do not come out at Davidson River Campground. Instead park at the fish hatchery and end your hike there. The last 7 miles or so are typical, immature, and boring pine forest. If you come out at fish hatchery you can check out John Rock and in general have a much more interesting hike.

Call the Hub Bicycles or Headwater Outfitters for a shuttle. It is a long and inconvenient drive for such a short trail so don't be surprised at the price.

Enjoy.

Mr. Bumpy
10-01-2016, 18:43
Bike shop and outfitter are located in Brevard, NC

allmebloominlife
10-01-2016, 23:15
We've got a BV500 and lil Sami. Thanks for the heads up on water. That is the other main concern every thread I've read said is a concern.

allmebloominlife
10-01-2016, 23:24
We've called a couple shuttle services but they only want to drop off at S TH. So thanks for the lead on shuttles.

Mr. Bumpy
10-02-2016, 00:47
Yes. Water is a concern as it has been mostly dry lately. You should be able to find it up on cold mountain, in the vicinity of shining rock gap (you'll probably have to hunt for it off of the ridge line) and again at the parking lot to black balsam. From that parking lot there are trail that go off to the east that takes you to several creeks in short order. When you cross the parkway it gets dry again for a while. Instead of going over pilot mountain take the old gated fire road and you should hit several trickles coming off of pilot mt. There is usually water at that first shelter off of pilot mountain and definitely water at the second shelter (Butternut gap?)
Enjoy your trip. This time of year be prepared for a wide variety of temperatures. I'd offer to shuttle but will be doing the foothills trail that week where you don't have to worry about water and it will be 15 degrees warmer at night!

allmebloominlife
10-03-2016, 09:57
Why did you have to go and mention a trail with better conditions that we haven't done? We are already considering changing our itinerary. ;-)

Mr. Bumpy
10-03-2016, 17:27
Oh, no! So many trail, so little time. Both are great trails, but assuming your time frame I would stick with the Art Loeb. The FT is best to be taken in as a whole. I was thinking about some more potential places to check for Art Loeb shuttles: The Brevard Rock Gym could at least give a good recommendation; the Bicycle Farm, and you could try Camp Daniel Boone scout camp - if one of your group is a boy scout it might be reasonable to call them first.
If you do the FT, I will be finishing at the Table Rock end either on Friday or Saturday, so say, "Hi" I'll be wearing an orange shirt as it is hunting season

allmebloominlife
10-04-2016, 12:52
We are sticking with the LT. Plan B is the FT in case of inclement weather and Plan C is the Pinhoti. Either way we are getting out in the woods. The Plan is to hit the LT in early spring and doing the whole trail.

I talked to David at the Outfitter. $100 bucks. Yikes. It's better than driving 2 cars and 3 hours of commute after a 3 day hike though.

allmebloominlife
10-17-2016, 17:06
Because of the draught we decided on the FH. We are going W to E leaving out of Bad Creek and finishing up at Laurel Valley. Oct 20-23. You'll be ahead of us. Enjoy your trip!