PDA

View Full Version : GPS logger that will download to my iPhone

Tundracamper
10-03-2016, 10:11
I have a nice little Holux M-241 GPS logger that I think has two flaws. First, the utility to download a log requires a PC (no Mac). And second, in spite of having Bluetooth, it will not talk to my iPhone.

I would like a logger that I can run while hiking and THEN when I'm in camp later use Bluetooth to download the tracks to my iPhone. I am not interested in the two communicating as I hike.

I see that Bad Elf makes a GPS Pro ($199) that appears to do what I want. Are there other options? Any experience?

The Bad Elf has a long wait time on Amazon. I'm wondering if the company actually has them in stock.

nsherry61
10-03-2016, 10:21
Why not just use the GPS in your iphone and carry enough extra battery to use it as continuously as you choose. The extra battery would be lighter than the extra GPS and you wouldn't need to futz with downloading the data to your phone.

Tundracamper
10-03-2016, 11:03
I can't imagine running my phone in logging mode for 6-8 hours without completely draining the battery. Is that possible?

The Bad Elf will run for close to 30 hours in a logging only mode.

Leo L.
10-03-2016, 11:20
For several hikes now I've run my Sony X3 in tracking mode, 6-10hrs a day, and the battery lasted exactly 3 days.
It seems that the newer the phone is, the less power the GPS chip is using.

Also, you might obey all known rule to keep the battery drain down (like, flight mode on, Wifi and Bluetooth off, low screen brightness, no gaming and picture viewing, etc.).
You may also like some cover for the phone that makes sure it doesn't get switched on in the pocket unintended.

southern9
10-10-2016, 22:25
Tundracamper
I use GAIA gps for iphone. It was about $20 when I bought it. Works on satellite, no cell signal required. Tree canopy can interfere. Do you camp in your Tundra? I'd love a camper top for my tundra.

Tundracamper
10-11-2016, 14:06
Tundracamper
I use GAIA gps for iphone. It was about $20 when I bought it. Works on satellite, no cell signal required. Tree canopy can interfere. Do you camp in your Tundra? I'd love a camper top for my tundra.

I have Gaia on my phone. I'd just prefer to not use phone battery. I guess energy is energy - assuming the iPhone is as efficient as a GPS logger. Is it?

southern9
10-11-2016, 14:24
I don't use this app for track making. I do use it as a back up, checking location against my paper map and compass. I turn on the phone to check periodically. I imagine it would drain the phone battery faster. If I had a solar or back up battery I would let it run, It will log tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Rush-
10-13-2016, 13:49
There are several options for the iPhone. It all depends on the feature set you're looking for. I like to have waypoint and POI announcements as I have marked them on my route, but GAIA doesn't do this. ViewRanger is another great app (FREE) that does this. In regards to saving battery by employing techniques listed in the above post, the other option you're going to want is the ability to set the GPS logging frequency. Last time I checked GAIA couldn't do this either, but ViewRanger can be set from 1m to 60m I believe. I like 1-2 min frequency if I'm hiking, and this saves a TON of battery life opposed to constant logging. I can get about 4 days or more on my iPhone6S+ easily with ViewRanger set to 1 min logging. I think they just released an updated Apple Watch 2 app for ViewRanger if you're into that. Both of these apps will allow you to import/export from your phone.

There are of course other apps, but these are the best two I've used for hiking.

A bit off topic, but I've also had a lot of success with the Suunto Traverse Alpha watch. It can do all of this and handles the task quite effectively with great battery life. Another great feature of this watch, as of the 2.0.5 update, is the ability to see your progress and location on an elevation profile. This is the same thing as running Guthook in elevation mode. Suunto Movescount app and website have pretty good tool for creating routes that you can sync to the watch and phone. The only issue with this is the cost of $569. If you have the $$$, I think it would be the best option.