PDA

View Full Version : Section hike Newfound Gap VA to Harper's Ferry

FL Grandma
10-03-2016, 14:36
Info. needed re: this section, including the infamous Roller Coaster. Daughter in law and I are planning to do this section next August. Easier northbound or southbound? Water sources usually good in August? We plan on 7 days to complete the section...realistic for a 67 yr old grandma (who just completed the Smokies in 6 days) and a novice but very fit younger woman?

Thank you!

Coffee
10-03-2016, 14:49
I'm not clear on where you are starting ... did you mean Rockfish Gap?

I've hiked this section as part of a larger section hike in April a couple of years ago and I have hiked portions of it several times. The section through Shenandoah National Park is pretty easy but still has plenty of ups and downs. The waysides make it possible to travel very light so that makes it even easier. I have not found the infamous roller coaster to be all that bad. You do you up and down and up and down several times and it can be steep. So I guess the roller coaster might be considered harder than SNP. I'd hike northbound personally and tackle the roller coaster toward the end.

FL Grandma
10-03-2016, 14:55
We plan to start at Thornton Gap, near Luray VA. Did the section from Rockfish Gap to Thornton Gap 3 years ago, and now want to go back and finish Shenandoah. When I posted, I guess I forgot the name of the gap. Newfound Gap is in the Smokies, which we just did a couple of weeks ago...

FL Grandma
10-03-2016, 14:59
I meant Thornton Gap to Harper's Ferry! Guess it would be quite an accomplishment to go from Newfound Gap to Harper's Ferry in 7 days!!!

Coffee
10-03-2016, 15:09
Ah, that makes more sense! Thornton Gap to HF is around 81 miles (just checked at atdist.com). Not having hiked the AT through GSMNP yet, I cannot compare/contrast the difficulty of these segments. However, I suspect that you could easily hike Thornton Gap to HF over a week. The section in SNP is really quite easy in my opinion. You'll pass the Elkwallow wayside probably on the first day and Gravel Springs could be a good goal for the day. There are some really great views in this section and I've hiked it several times.

North of the park, the Denton shelter is one of the nicest on the trail, if you like shelters, and there is tenting in the area as well. You could resupply at the post office in Linden if you want to break up the food carry. I'd also plan to resupply and/or stay at Bear's Den hostel toward the end of the roller coaster. And Teahorse Hostel in HF would be a good way to end the hike.

I'm not quite sure about water conditions in August as I typically head out west for hiking during the summer months but maybe others here will have that info.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2016, 16:35
Water is a little scarce on that section and mostly only available at shelter sites, though I remember there was a stream at the bottom of nearly all the roller coaster bumps. But that was in May, those little streams might be dried up in August depending on recent rains or not. The other thing to consider is it will be very hot and humid in August, which slows me down a lot. Even though you only have to do a little better then 10 miles a day, that might be a bit much unless you get good and early starts each day.

Staying at Bears Den will break up the roller coaster a little, but the worst of it is north of there. The climbs/descents are steep but relatively short. The footing is a bit rough though and some of it is loose rock. I took quite a tumble coming down one of those bumps due to rolling my foot on a small, loose rock and nearly took out my elbow!

FlyPaper
10-03-2016, 16:41
I just finished the Smokies recently, and did this other section many years ago. If you did the smokies in 6 days, you should be able to do this in 7. I'm assuming you did the smokies one way start to finish, which implies you completed a very long uphill at the beginning from whatever direction. That should more than prepare you for the roller coaster. The roller coaster, if I remember correctly is about 7 hills over about a 14 mile stretch, each of them about 500' up and 500' down. Nothing to be feared for someone who has hiked the smokies.

Info. needed re: this section, including the infamous Roller Coaster. Daughter in law and I are planning to do this section next August. Easier northbound or southbound? Water sources usually good in August? We plan on 7 days to complete the section...realistic for a 67 yr old grandma (who just completed the Smokies in 6 days) and a novice but very fit younger woman?

Thank you!

Coffee
10-03-2016, 16:51
Staying at Bears Den will break up the roller coaster a little, but the worst of it is north of there. The climbs/descents are steep but relatively short. The footing is a bit rough though and some of it is loose rock. I took quite a tumble coming down one of those bumps due to rolling my foot on a small, loose rock and nearly took out my elbow!

Doesn't the roller coaster end a couple of miles north of Route 7? I thought it was a lot more of a roller coaster between Route 50 and 7 than north of 7.

Zig-Zag
10-03-2016, 18:57
Doesn't the roller coaster end a couple of miles north of Route 7? I thought it was a lot more of a roller coaster between Route 50 and 7 than north of 7.

This is correct.

I spend an awful lot of time between Manassas Gap and Harpers Ferry on the AT. The roller coaster isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but you will be hiking it during the worst weather possible. NoVA in August is a hot, humid, sticky mess. This weather and the "dead air" at the base of each climb is what really makes the roller coaster tough. The climbs are about 5-600' each with very little flat ground between or on top of the climbs. There is ample water almost anytime of year in the roller coaster. Some of the shelter springs occasionally will dry up in late August or early Sept. but there are enough creeks that you will be ok. Check the shelter logs and ask any of the hikers in the opposite direction and they will know about the springs.

Sandy of PA
10-03-2016, 19:39
I have hiked the "roller coaster" 4 times and my personal opinion is it is easier northbound. It can also be broken in the middle with a stay at the Bears Den hostel.

Zig-Zag
10-03-2016, 20:07
I have hiked the "roller coaster" 4 times and my personal opinion is it is easier northbound. It can also be broken in the middle with a stay at the Bears Den hostel.

I agree that it seems a little easier NOBO.

However, the middle point would be much closer to the Sam Moore shelter, about 3m S. of Bears Den. After Bears Den, you have 3m of rollercoaster and then pretty easy ridge walking etc... into Harp.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2016, 21:22
I agree that it seems a little easier NOBO.
However, the middle point would be much closer to the Sam Moore shelter, about 3m S. of Bears Den. After Bears Den, you have 3m of rollercoaster and then pretty easy ridge walking etc... into Harp.

True, but going the extra 3 miles to the hostel is well worth the effort. At that point most of the roller coaster is behind you and having a shower, a good meal and a cold drink is incentive enough to get there. Plus one or two meals can be dropped from the initial load. A small package could be sent there with the last couple of days of food. Now you only have to start out with 4.5 days worth of food instead of 6.5 days worth.

Last year, when I did that section SOBO, it took me 8 days to get to Pass Mountain hut from HF. I stayed at the hostel in Front Royal and resupplied, but I didn't stay at Bears Den.

If I was planning this trip I'd do it this way:
Day 1 - 13 miles to Gravel Springs hut
Day 2- 10.5 miles to Tom Floyd
Day 3 - 13.6 to Manassas Gap
Day 4 - 12.9 to Rod Hallow
Day 5 - 10.6 to Bears Den
Day 6 - 11.1 to David Lesser
Day 7 - 10 miles to HF and out.

Day 1 will be a little rough, right off the couch with a full load of food. There's 1100 foot climb near the end of the day which is a steady uphill for 3 miles. An early start is required. If that's not possible, start late and just hike the 1.2 miles into to Pass Mountain for the night.

Studlintsean
10-03-2016, 22:26
If you don't like the 13 mile day on the first day, after Elkwallow Wayside heading north you head up a gentle climb for a few miles. Between 1-2 miles up that hill (before you reach Skyline Drive) there are 2 or 3 nice flat spots where you can camp off the right side of the trail. You can water up at Elkwallow and dry camp there. Keep in mind NLT practices and park regulations. Otherwise, I like Slogoen's breakdown.

If you can work it out, stay at Jim and Molly Denton as it is a very nice shelter/ lot of land.

I agree August is not a great time to hike this section but I have hiked it in all months and think you should hike it when you can.

chknfngrs
10-04-2016, 07:20
I hiked from VA7 into HF a few weeks ago and found that each spring in that section (according to Guthook) was generally productive and easy enough to scoop water. Stopped at Blackburn Trail Center for water, which didn't need filtering.

Coffee
10-04-2016, 09:33
Regarding camping between Thornton Gap and Gravel Springs - another option is to pick up water at the Range View Cabin (slightly off the trail), then backtrack a bit to the Piney Ridge Trail and walk a short distance (maybe 1/2 mile) to some dry camping spots. I remember hiking down Piney Ridge and thinking that those dry camp spots looked pretty good.

Come to think of it, it would be almost as easy to pick up water at Elkwallow wayside although they you are hauling water uphill for a while.

FL Grandma
10-13-2016, 13:34
Thanks to all for the helpful information. We are planning on Bear's Den Hostel to break up the roller coaster. Had not thought about sending resupply box there. Thanks!

rmitchell
03-30-2017, 22:26
True, but going the extra 3 miles to the hostel is well worth the effort. At that point most of the roller coaster is behind you and having a shower, a good meal and a cold drink is incentive enough to get there. Plus one or two meals can be dropped from the initial load. A small package could be sent there with the last couple of days of food. Now you only have to start out with 4.5 days worth of food instead of 6.5 days worth.

Last year, when I did that section SOBO, it took me 8 days to get to Pass Mountain hut from HF. I stayed at the hostel in Front Royal and resupplied, but I didn't stay at Bears Den.

If I was planning this trip I'd do it this way:
Day 1 - 13 miles to Gravel Springs hut
Day 2- 10.5 miles to Tom Floyd
Day 3 - 13.6 to Manassas Gap
Day 4 - 12.9 to Rod Hallow
Day 5 - 10.6 to Bears Den
Day 6 - 11.1 to David Lesser
Day 7 - 10 miles to HF and out.

Day 1 will be a little rough, right off the couch with a full load of food. There's 1100 foot climb near the end of the day which is a steady uphill for 3 miles. An early start is required. If that's not possible, start late and just hike the 1.2 miles into to Pass Mountain for the night.

Planning to do this section in a few weeks (Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry). I like Slo-go'en itinerary, but am thinking about a mail drop in Linden, Va. Has anyone re-supplyed at the market in Linden?

Professor Paul
04-03-2017, 00:07
Just note there is no water on the trail between the David Lesser shelter and HF. At a road crossing, you can detour a mile or so each way to get water from a store (I forget which road), but there is no water on the trail. I hiked that bit in August, and the lack of water those last 10 miles made things very difficult at the end. It was very hot that day. But then, before too long, you're in a town with an abundance of clean, cold water, so it works out in the end.

rmitchell
04-03-2017, 06:26
Thanks Prof. I will make a note of that.

chknfngrs
04-03-2017, 07:31
I found it easy to tank up at David Lesser. Nice break on a hot day. Nice shaded spot with sweet breeze. Had enough to make it to HF with ease.