PDA

View Full Version : My Gear List (What's in My Pack)

The Roaming Gnome
10-03-2016, 16:29
For those who may be interested in going ultra-light, this is what I will be carrying on my thru-hike beginning March 13th. These are actual weights, not what is claimed. Base weight is sub 9 lbs. Worn weight is sub 5 lbs. Cold weather clothing will be ditched when summer arrives and return when up north. I don't plan on spending much time in towns other than to resupply. If If choose to stay in a town, town clothes will be bumped to that location. I'm going to try and resupply based on locations on or very near to the trail (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/1344-Resuppling-within-one-miles-from-the-Appalachian-Trail-for-a-thru-hike).

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=34525

jjozgrunt
10-03-2016, 18:16
Just a thought on your weight charts. I use the metric system so grams works for me, but I know ounces as well. What is confusing is seeing both. Changing the whole thing to one or the other would make it more readable.

eabyrd1506
10-03-2016, 18:18
Wow. That is a top$ list

The Roaming Gnome
10-03-2016, 18:32
Just a thought on your weight charts. I use the metric system so grams works for me, but I know ounces as well. What is confusing is seeing both. Changing the whole thing to one or the other would make it more readable.

I see that. I'm going to mention that to Gear Grams and see if they can make that an option.

The Roaming Gnome
10-03-2016, 19:30
Wow. That is a top$ list

I'm 53 with 63 year old knees so I had to cut the weight. I switched from my Osprey Exos and saved a pound. I really like my light weight hammock set up but going to the ground saved two pounds.

Fireplug
10-03-2016, 21:51
Hey Gnome
looks like we will be starting the same day. I'm from central Florida. I have some Zpacks gear also but I'm at about 15 BPW. See ya on the trail and be safe with Matthew coming.

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 04:26
Hey Gnome
looks like we will be starting the same day. I'm from central Florida. I have some Zpacks gear also but I'm at about 15 BPW. See ya on the trail and be safe with Matthew coming.

That's great! I'm on the East Coast just north of West Palm Beach.

jjozgrunt
10-04-2016, 09:09
Just saw the start date, you'll be chasing me as I start the 12th. That being the case I should see you both at some time.

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 09:33
Just saw the start date, you'll be chasing me as I start the 12th. That being the case I should see you both at some time.

Awesome! I'm chomping at the bit to get out there. Are you in the states or are you coming over from Australia?

jjozgrunt
10-04-2016, 09:51
I land in Atlanta on the 10th. Buy food etc and get to the Springer on the 11th and start the 12th. 156 days to finish and then my wife will be joining me for a 6 week trip across the north of the country. First time to the states so I am really looking forward to walking over there and then exploring some of it. We are going across the north as I have just found out my neice and her husband are moving back to Wisconsin just before Xmas and she is now going to be my base camp. Plus Montana and Oregon hold some of our other passion, gemstones, so we wanted to visit both of those states. Plus from all reports and what I have seen there are some pretty special places to hike in what will be the start of autumn.

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 10:05
I land in Atlanta on the 10th. Buy food etc and get to the Springer on the 11th and start the 12th. 156 days to finish and then my wife will be joining me for a 6 week trip across the north of the country. First time to the states so I am really looking forward to walking over there and then exploring some of it. We are going across the north as I have just found out my neice and her husband are moving back to Wisconsin just before Xmas and she is now going to be my base camp. Plus Montana and Oregon hold some of our other passion, gemstones, so we wanted to visit both of those states. Plus from all reports and what I have seen there are some pretty special places to hike in what will be the start of autumn.

It's been said that we have some of the longest hiking trails in the world. The Appalachian Mountains may not have the highest elevations but they still offer some spectacular views and flora. I'm a history buff and enjoy researching the places I explore. Now, I've not hiked out west but have several friends who have. They said it is breathtaking. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Odd Man Out
10-04-2016, 10:36
Your packed long underwear - I assume that is for sleeping/camp. Is that bottoms only? If so, do you think you will need a top layer for night/camp? I see the tops are in the layer to be worn.

I have those same poles. They are nice but heavy. I recently picked up some lightweght poles (Fizan Compacts) which I like. Have you considered lighter poles?

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 10:48
Your packed long underwear - I assume that is for sleeping/camp. Is that bottoms only? If so, do you think you will need a top layer for night/camp? I see the tops are in the layer to be worn.

I have those same poles. They are nice but heavy. I recently picked up some lightweght poles (Fizan Compacts) which I like. Have you considered lighter poles?

I run warm. I sleep in the long underwear and 1/4 zip. I ordered the Gossamer Gear LT4's. The pair comes in at 9.2 ounces. Those Fizan's are nice and just as light.

Hosh
10-04-2016, 11:07
Nice set of gear, getting to sub 10# base weight takes some good knowledge and some Benjamins.

I like the "Wet Wipes - dry"

Slo-go'en
10-04-2016, 11:15
You could use a few more things. You need to add a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve base layer top. Add sun screen, there will be no shade for a month and people get sunburnt if they don't wear long sleeve shirt or use sun screen. How about a ball cap or bandana for the head? Pack towel or extra bandana to wipe wet things down? Knife? Bottle of New Skin for blisters? Roll of TP? (wet wipes alone won't cut it and should not be disposed of in the woods, even dry and if used dry, they loose their anti-bacteria properties). Underware - briefs or boxers?

captike
10-04-2016, 11:16
I see that. I'm going to mention that to Gear Grams and see if they can make that an option.

It is something you can change...down at the bottom of the screen there is a drop-down where you can select which unit of measure you would like to display. Choosing one will change it for the rest of the chart.

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 11:20
It is something you can change...down at the bottom of the screen there is a drop-down where you can select which unit of measure you would like to display. Choosing one will change it for the rest of the chart.

Yes but when you change it to grams, it only gives you the total grams for each category not for the individual items in those categories. I think that's what jjozgrunt was pointing out.

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 11:31
Nice set of gear, getting to sub 10# base weight takes some good knowledge and some Benjamins.

I like the "Wet Wipes - dry"

Most of the gear I had already. Without going in to boring details I couldn't cut any more weight off of my light weight hammock setup so I decided to go with a tent. I'm a big fan of Zpacks and their products definitely shave the ounces and grams. Unfortunately it's not cheap. If for some reason I don't complete the trail it won't be because of the gear I'm carrying. ;) Add some water to the wet wipes and your good to go.

The Roaming Gnome
10-04-2016, 12:08
You could use a few more things. You need to add a long sleeve shirt and long sleeve base layer top. Add sun screen, there will be no shade for a month and people get sunburnt if they don't wear long sleeve shirt or use sun screen. How about a ball cap or bandana for the head? Pack towel or extra bandana to wipe wet things down? Knife? Bottle of New Skin for blisters? Roll of TP? (wet wipes alone won't cut it and should not be disposed of in the woods, even dry and if used dry, they loose their anti-bacteria properties). Underware - briefs or boxers?

The long sleeve mid layer and buff are on the other list, Worn Weight. I'll add a small amount of sunblock. The wipes are made from bamboo. Break down in 30 days. I'm not carrying moleskin. I hiked the Ga and Nc sections last year and never used it. Never got blisters using the socks I wear. If I do, I'll use the KT Tape. I may add a long sleeve base like you suggested. Thanks

captike
10-04-2016, 13:13
Yes but when you change it to grams, it only gives you the total grams for each category not for the individual items in those categories. I think that's what jjozgrunt was pointing out.

Oh, I gotcha. I thought he was drawing attention to the fact that there is a mix of the metric system and imperial.

Odd Man Out
10-04-2016, 18:43
I too like my buff. It's amazing how much warmer I feel around camp by just putting that on over my head down below my ears. Doubles as a pack towel.

Curious. Why the fit bit. Given you are so careful about being lightweight, that would seem to be optional.

PaulWorksHard
10-04-2016, 20:51
I would dump the GPS and the power bank, unless you absolutely need to listen to music all the time. I used my phone just for photos and to make one or two "still alive" calls per day. Kept phone in airplane mode otherwise. Internal battery would last me 6-8 days no problem.

turtle fast
10-05-2016, 00:03
I saw two things nobody else touched on. First, is you may want to carry your health insurance providers card. Secondly, are you using permethrin or DEET or are you not using anything anti tick? Unfortunately accidents happen, and with the prevalence of Lymes disease it's something to ponder.

The Roaming Gnome
10-06-2016, 00:18
I too like my buff. It's amazing how much warmer I feel around camp by just putting that on over my head down below my ears. Doubles as a pack towel.

Curious. Why the fit bit. Given you are so careful about being lightweight, that would seem to be optional.

I get bonus points and discounts at Walgreens. Lol. Other than that, bragging rights with some friends. ;)

The Roaming Gnome
10-06-2016, 00:23
I would dump the GPS and the power bank, unless you absolutely need to listen to music all the time. I used my phone just for photos and to make one or two "still alive" calls per day. Kept phone in airplane mode otherwise. Internal battery would last me 6-8 days no problem.

The Delorme is a luxury but gives my wife and daughter piece of mind when I hike. My IPhone is for pics, video, editing and AWOL guide. The phone won't be powered up unless I need something. The Delorme can send and receive texts.

The Roaming Gnome
10-06-2016, 00:25
I saw two things nobody else touched on. First, is you may want to carry your health insurance providers card. Secondly, are you using permethrin or DEET or are you not using anything anti tick? Unfortunately accidents happen, and with the prevalence of Lymes disease it's something to ponder.

Good point on the healthcare card. I'm soaking everything in Permethrin. I've got Deet but I really don't like using it.

jeffmeh
10-06-2016, 10:56
Good point on the healthcare card. I'm soaking everything in Permethrin. I've got Deet but I really don't like using it.

Have you tried Picaridin rather than DEET? Effective, and much less nasty. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picaridin-Insect-Repellent/dp/B00XQOYDJG

The Roaming Gnome
10-06-2016, 11:02
Have you tried Picaridin rather than DEET? Effective, and much less nasty. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picaridin-Insect-Repellent/dp/B00XQOYDJG

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I've never been keen on placing chemicals on my skin.

jeffmeh
10-06-2016, 11:12
Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I've never been keen on placing chemicals on my skin.

You are welcome. I try to avoid using anything directly on skin. Fortunately, I don't seem to be as attractive to biting insects as some of my hiking companions, so sometimes I just keep moving and don't worry about it. Or I can cover up with permethrin treated clothing and headnet if necessary. That said, the Picaridin based bug dope is mild enough that if I have to break down and use it I don't really mind. That would happen mostly under very buggy, very hot conditions, where I don't want to cover up. And, unlike DEET, it's not going to melt my water bottle or my glasses. :)

Guyler
10-06-2016, 11:15
Thanks for sharing! I personally prefer this site for managing preparing my gear list https://lighterpack.com/

I'm still finagling my list trying to balance $|oz but here's mine https://lighterpack.com/r/g9bf23 (you can see you can designate some gear as what you will wear so you have two separate weights (little coat icon))

I'd like to see a sticky thread with just links to geargrams, lighterpack or similar sites.

Honuben
10-06-2016, 13:01
Nice gear list. As other may have said I would worry about the march start with the pad insulation. You are likely to see freezing temps starting that soon. I don't sleep so warm so I can only go off of my experience with my 14 years of living in Hawaii. I get cold easy. Better to bring some warmer stuff for the elevations in th smokies then send it home or bounce it as you need. I'll bring similar gear if I started in May but your experience may suit your style as you see fit.

The Roaming Gnome
10-07-2016, 13:22
Thanks for sharing! I personally prefer this site for managing preparing my gear list https://lighterpack.com/

I'm still finagling my list trying to balance $|oz but here's mine https://lighterpack.com/r/g9bf23 (you can see you can designate some gear as what you will wear so you have two separate weights (little coat icon))

I'd like to see a sticky thread with just links to geargrams, lighterpack or similar sites.

Awesome. I'm going to check that out.

The Roaming Gnome
10-07-2016, 13:27
Nice gear list. As other may have said I would worry about the march start with the pad insulation. You are likely to see freezing temps starting that soon. I don't sleep so warm so I can only go off of my experience with my 14 years of living in Hawaii. I get cold easy. Better to bring some warmer stuff for the elevations in th smokies then send it home or bounce it as you need. I'll bring similar gear if I started in May but your experience may suit your style as you see fit.

Good thought. I run very warm. Those old stories about people that spontaneously combust...that would be me. This past New Years I hiked and camped in the smokies. The daytime temps were in the 20's. I brought a 30 quilt and was plenty warm.

CarlZ993
10-07-2016, 15:12
Nice list. Very light.

My $0.02 worth for a 3/13 start: add rain pants & possibly consider taking MicroSpikes. I had several very cold rains during my first couple of months. W/O rain pants, it would have been hypothermia-city for me. Ice & packed snow can vary from year to year. In 2013, it was bad & I wished I'd carried my MicroSpikes. My buddy hiked the AT last year starting a few days earlier. He never needed them. During my hike, I ran into people who fell & injured themselves (had to stop their hike). You can send home your MicroSpikes later (Hot Springs?). When warmer weather comes, you could ditch the rain pants (might pick them up again when you get to the White Mtns).

To help keep the packweight down, have more frequent food resupplies. Camel-up on water at your water source & carry minimal water between water sources.

I wish you luck on your hike. If you're a planner-type, you might look at my itinerary in the signature line of my post. I was 58 when I hiked the AT (I don't know how old my knees were.... I definitely had a lot of miles on them). :)

RockDoc
10-08-2016, 15:25
Electronics list is longer than your clothing list ***?

The Roaming Gnome
10-08-2016, 16:30
Nice list. Very light.

My $0.02 worth for a 3/13 start: add rain pants & possibly consider taking MicroSpikes. I had several very cold rains during my first couple of months. W/O rain pants, it would have been hypothermia-city for me. Ice & packed snow can vary from year to year. In 2013, it was bad & I wished I'd carried my MicroSpikes. My buddy hiked the AT last year starting a few days earlier. He never needed them. During my hike, I ran into people who fell & injured themselves (had to stop their hike). You can send home your MicroSpikes later (Hot Springs?). When warmer weather comes, you could ditch the rain pants (might pick them up again when you get to the White Mtns).

To help keep the packweight down, have more frequent food resupplies. Camel-up on water at your water source & carry minimal water between water sources.

I wish you luck on your hike. If you're a planner-type, you might look at my itinerary in the signature line of my post. I was 58 when I hiked the AT (I don't know how old my knees were.... I definitely had a lot of miles on them). :)

Sure thing Carl. I'll definitely check it out. There's are pretty good resupply location list here on White Blaze that I've been studying along with the AT guide. Thanks.

The Roaming Gnome
10-08-2016, 16:34
Electronics list is longer than your clothing list ***?

I know. I've got a young daughter who is going to miss her dad so I want to her to be able to track (Delorme) me and talk to when she wants. I know what your saying but it's go to be.

The Roaming Gnome
10-09-2016, 17:31
Nice list. Very light.

I just checked out your itinerary. That's a gold! Hopefully other 2017's NoBo's will check it out. BTW, I ordered the Zpacks cuben rain kilt. I have micro-spikes already and will keep them on stand-by. Thanks again.

-Rush-
10-10-2016, 18:19
An alternative to the FitBit if you don't need screenshots.

AT Miles = ~2189 = ~5,000,000 steps = ~2284 steps per mile + Terrain Difficulty = Bragging Rights

The Roaming Gnome
10-12-2016, 07:46
An alternative to the FitBit if you don't need screenshots.

AT Miles = ~2189 = ~5,000,000 steps = ~2284 steps per mile + Terrain Difficulty = Bragging Rights

I like your thinking!

The Roaming Gnome
10-12-2016, 10:24
Hey Gnome

The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega began accepting reservations for the new year. I'm arriving at the HH with family that Friday and they will see me off on the 13th. I'm not sure what your plan is but if you are arriving in town early you may want to book before they fill up. http://hikerhostel.com

The Roaming Gnome
11-02-2016, 10:58
Here is a video of the items I'll be carrying.

https://youtu.be/JfmzsqVbkvw?list=PLRcLFnZIasG8VBUJDPQAdGuX9nzw0lJd 3 (https://youtu.be/JfmzsqVbkvw?list=PLRcLFnZIasG8VBUJDPQAdGuX9nzw0lJd 3)

PaulWorksHard
11-02-2016, 11:25
Camp shoes? I started without camp shoes, but after getting soaking wet shoes in the smokies, with cold weather and having to wear those wet shoes in camp at night, I rethought my decision. EVA foam ones are around 10 oz, which is heavy, given your base weight, but you could get a pair of flip flops at around 6oz for size 12 feet.

I would also consider replacing the Nike t shirt with an icebreaker tech lite one. Same weight, but less stink.

Good luck on the hike. I had a 10.5 lb base weight and it really makes a huge difference in speed uphill and stress on knees downhill.

The Roaming Gnome
11-02-2016, 11:29
Camp shoes? I started without camp shoes, but after getting soaking wet shoes in the smokies, with cold weather and having to wear those wet shoes in camp at night, I rethought my decision. EVA foam ones are around 10 oz, which is heavy, given your base weight, but you could get a pair of flip flops at around 6oz for size 12 feet.

I would also consider replacing the Nike t shirt with an icebreaker tech lite one. Same weight, but less stink.

Good luck on the hike. I had a 10.5 lb base weight and it really makes a huge difference in speed uphill and stress on knees downhill.

I never use camp shoes. It's all fluid. If I find that I'll need them I will not hesitate to get a pair. I'll check out the IB shirt. Thanks.

Oventoasted
11-02-2016, 16:49
I have a question for you all. Im stuck deciding how many stuff sacks or dry bags i would need? Also what should be stuff sacked and what should be dry bagged. Im thinking clean clothes and food should be dry bagged and tent, quilt, hammock and, dirty clothes can be stuff sacked. cookware can just be free floating? I have a separate dry pouch for the kindle and phone.

freys
11-02-2016, 17:05
Here is a video of the items I'll be carrying.

https://youtu.be/JfmzsqVbkvw?list=PLRcLFnZIasG8VBUJDPQAdGuX9nzw0lJd 3 (https://youtu.be/JfmzsqVbkvw?list=PLRcLFnZIasG8VBUJDPQAdGuX9nzw0lJd 3)

Love the into. Minus the wife I am having the same conversations with myself. Props on the gear. I'm no where near what you got weight but pretty much the same amount/type of gear. I'll see you out there at some point just a few days ahead to start. If you happen to find a rock in your pack with that gear I'll confess now It was me jealous of your pack weight......Totally effin' with you I wouldn't want the payed back. ;-)

The Roaming Gnome
11-02-2016, 17:13
Love the into. Minus the wife I am having the same conversations with myself. Props on the gear. I'm no where near what you got weight but pretty much the same amount/type of gear. I'll see you out there at some point just a few days ahead to start. If you happen to find a rock in your pack with that gear I'll confess now It was me jealous of your pack weight......Totally effin' with you I wouldn't want the payed back. ;-)

You know I'll notice that rock in my pack? LOL. HYOH. I just kept looking for lighter options and items that are dual purpose. If I was doing some hiking but mostly camping then my pack would look totally different. I ditched the "camping" ounces and extra gadgets that I would normally take. I'm sure our packs will change many times during those 2189 miles. :)

Kaptainkriz
11-02-2016, 18:23
The phone and delorme are great, but I did not notice a guide/mapset or compass in the mix.

Sandy of PA
11-02-2016, 19:42
Make sure to mark your fuel bottle in such a way that it cannot be mistaken for water. I use a Vargo fuel bottle with a flip top and toxic labels pasted on it.

Guyler
11-02-2016, 19:50
Hey Gary, love the video. I've put together my list mostly by watching videos like these and then trying out the gear. I've been thinking a lot about how to best convey my experience to friends, family and myself (at a later date) without detracting from the experience itself. Since you are going to make more videos on your hike and was curious what is your line of thinking was on how you came to the decision to make a youtube channel? And are you worried at all about that affecting your trip in any way? Also, how do you plan on editing them on the trail, since the production quality on this was pretty darn good?

I'll be leaving a little later than you, but hope to see you out there!

AfterParty
11-02-2016, 21:06

28 grams in an ounce

The Roaming Gnome
11-03-2016, 07:58
28 grams in an ounce

I wish I could my friend. I've asked the creator of the app to have that as an option.

hoozurmama
11-10-2016, 15:25
Here's my list to start out. It's mostly completed I would love feedback. Starting March 27th.

https://lighterpack.com/r/2os681

freys
11-12-2016, 16:49
Here's my list to start out. It's mostly completed I would love feedback. Starting March 27th.

Looks solid to me but like you finalizing. Clothing we are pretty much identical other than some brand names.

The Roaming Gnome
11-23-2016, 15:46
Hey Gary, love the video. I've put together my list mostly by watching videos like these and then trying out the gear. I've been thinking a lot about how to best convey my experience to friends, family and myself (at a later date) without detracting from the experience itself. Since you are going to make more videos on your hike and was curious what is your line of thinking was on how you came to the decision to make a youtube channel? And are you worried at all about that affecting your trip in any way? Also, how do you plan on editing them on the trail, since the production quality on this was pretty darn good?

I'll be leaving a little later than you, but hope to see you out there!

Well, I've had my channel before my decision to thru-hike. I'm not one for blogging. I would much rather shoot video of my experience. I currently produce and direct a television show. My background is in that field. Sadly, I have to muster the energy to do my own videos! I don't feel that it will get in the way. I'm only going to use my phone and edit with an app. I haven't determined the intervals. When I have service I will upload. PM and I can give you more details about the app.

The Roaming Gnome
11-23-2016, 15:55

IMHO you are right on target brother. That's a killer base weight.

freys
11-30-2016, 12:35
I have been looking at film apps and asking around. Low and behold a fellow thru is the man I needed to ask. What you using for a app? I've played with a few now and nothing has stood ahead of others.

Hosaphone
12-02-2016, 11:51
Hey Gnome, I'm hoping to start around the same time as you, maybe a little earlier. What are your thoughts on sleep clothes and microspikes for an early/mid-March start? I'm leaning towards at least starting out with them given the likelihood of a lot of cold+wet at lower altitudes, and sketchy sections at higher altitudes.

NinjaFace
12-02-2016, 11:53
leave them micro spikes at home. you won't need them.

Storm
12-02-2016, 19:03
Your gear list is most impressive. Loved the video. Only thing that caught my attention was, and maybe I missed it, no knife. I only carry a very small swiss army knife but I really like having it. Maybe that's the reason there were no band aids either. LOL
When I grow up I hope my pack will be as light as yours.

Dogwood
12-03-2016, 11:19
Kit shows a lot of thoughtfulness RoamingGnome. I like it.

Couple thoughts and questions.

1) planning on using the 20* ZP bag/quilt the whole time?

2) suppose you're switching out the 13+ oz Gander Mt convertibles for something like 5 -6 oz nylon running shorts around last wk of April-early May? This has the potential to save 7- 8+ oz.

3) As Carl said resupplying more often has the potential to drop some significant POUNDS carried never mind ounces. Since it seems you are willing to switch out gear and buy gear to save wt perhaps, as it turns into fairer weather, you can also go to a lesser volume lighter wt pack commensurate with lower wt and lower volume food hauls and less voluminous heavier wt colder apparel? A Zpacks 60 L CF hauler may not have to be the end of line in saving backpack gear wt? With your kit one of the more bulkier categories of items can very well be food. If you reduce food volume, however you do that, I think that can get you to the tipping point of evolving or switching out to a lower volume and hopefully(that's the goal) lower wt backpack. Might be something to consider especially since I'm seeing a knee brace in your gear list.

Just a word. Might work your way into your hike if you have knee issues or don't want to aggravate anything existing. i.e.; don't got out the gate too fast too hard too big. HYOH. You do your hike not someone else's. If I can do it still treating a broken ankle you can do it. Be mindful of that as your approach entails minimizing in town time/more time on trail. FWIW, being on trail around other thru-hikers so much it's easy, VERY EASY, to be tempted into doing miles and miles and miles or doing what others are doing when possibly you could be/should be doing what's best for you concerning your body!

4) with your start date good chance(I'd count on it!) you'll encounter times walking in snow. Do you have at least one pr higher height calf height socks and/or something more WR or WP gaiters than the DGs for those times. DG's are great for summer or when it's dry to keep debris out but untreated lycra DGs quickly wet out despite the low wt. Perhaps, treating them with a spray on WPer like ReviveX or Grangers could help since you'll be wearing pants but even still expect wet possibly cold feet and possibly ice up around your pant cuffs and low cut trail runners. Consider more protective shortie gaiters like made from eVent or Neoshell or Schoeller for using the first 5 or so wks. Then, if you like to use gaiters switch to UNTREATED DG's for summer. For me, IMHO DG's aren't a necessity for the mid Atlantic states even with the low cut Solomon's. To each their gaiter own though.

5) I suppose one of the reasons you're choosing to rock the Speedcross 3 is for their very good traction which will be appreciated with your start date conditions that can or WILL involve snow, ice, mud, and slush. I don't know if they're offered in a WP version or if you have the WP version. I assume you aren't taking the WP footwear path. Although that may not be a bad choice for your first pr for the early phase of the thru and then switching to non WP version on your second pr as it gets warmer. I suggest you consider treating that first pr whether WP version or not with ReviveX or Grangers. This helps in several ways and during those cold/cooler periods doesn't have to be such a big deal regarding shoe dry times or breathability compared to warmer months. Applying this WP, DWR, or silicone treatment can help to reduce ice/slush/mud/water build up on the upper and around the gaiters which this combination can have a tendency to do. Don't treat the very bottom of the soles as this can temporarily reduce traction making for slippery footing. Uppers on the Speedcross can hold water, snow and ice and possibly affect the speed lacing system. This makes the lacing more slippery too.

6) with the low cuts and your late winter/very early spring start date you'd be wise IMO to carefully consider everything going on with your feet as a system- a layered integrated system. Sock choices should be carefully considered. Two obvious priorities stand out a) warmth, especially for those first 5 wks or so b) taking care of your feet throughout the hike recognizing how that might change in the cold compared to late April/May on. I guess you've considered one pr calf height socks in that two pr scenario for the beginning during hiking in snow/slush? Here's something you may consider: take two pr of different socks for versatility to address varied weather during at least the first 5 wks or so. With the non WP Speedcross one possible scenario might be to take one pr of merino socks of your choosing the other pr being something like a Hanz insulated WP calf height sock breathable and stretchy. This way you have versatility and address warmth while not having to have wet feet as much. It's an approach that has worked for me nicely in cold shoulder season temps rocking low cut trail runners and light hikers 1/2 size larger. As weather warms you can switch out for two pr ankle height socks. This sock scenario has the potential for you to possible eliminate 1 or both pr of the liner socks. You're call but seems a bit redundant in what amounts to carrying 4 pr of socks IMO with two pr liner socks and 2 other pr. To digress liners socks are possibly useful but once feet become toughened to LD hiking, with modern advanced sock design, and knowing how to tend to and treat feet PREVENTIVELY they can be less useful. You may only need 1 pr. Where they possibly have greater potential IMO is before feet become toughened and/or warm/hot LD starting times.

:)

This shows wherewithal, a willingness to observe and adapt and develop, "I'm sure our packs will change many times during those 2189 miles." :)

FiftyNine
12-15-2016, 16:22
I am considering getting the Zpack Arc Haul to replace my Osprey AG 65. Almost a 4 lb difference. Right now I'm about 22-23 lbs without food and water. My goal was to keep everything under 30 lbs but would be happier between 20 and 25 lbs. My last trip about a month ago for 3 days I was carrying 35-37 lbs and I felt the weight. I like the Osprey and have never used the zpack...

Oventoasted
12-16-2016, 01:09
Got myself an Arc Haul a few weeks ago. Very impressed with it! Had a Osprey Aether 60L before.

FiftyNine
12-16-2016, 11:15
Got myself an Arc Haul a few weeks ago. Very impressed with it! Had a Osprey Aether 60L before.

I am very tempted I just loaded up my pack with everything minus food and water and it came out to 21.4 pounds. With 4 days worth of food and 3 liters of water (approx. 14 lbs. 2 lbs per day plus 6 lbs water) I will be at 35ish lbs. I know I might be figuring high on the food and water and that will vary day by day. My goal was to keep it under 30 with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
12-16-2016, 17:19
I am very tempted I just loaded up my pack with everything minus food and water and it came out to 21.4 pounds. With 4 days worth of food and 3 liters of water (approx. 14 lbs. 2 lbs per day plus 6 lbs water) I will be at 35ish lbs. I know I might be figuring high on the food and water and that will vary day by day. My goal was to keep it under 30 with everything...

Want to achieve your goal? There is little need to be carrying 6 lbs or 2 3/4 L of water on the AT with regularity. Situations vary but I'd suggest safely mindfully getting that down regularly through better water logistics to 1 1/2 - 2 L which gets your water wt down to 3.3 - 4.4 lbs. 1 liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs. Let that sink in. Fathom the consequences in regard to less wt carried if you safely mindfully do that!

Dogwood
12-16-2016, 17:22
Many more AT hikers who are evolving to lighter carries should give greater consideration to the unnecessary consumable wt they haul.

colorado_rob
12-16-2016, 18:21
Outstanding, practically a dream kit, nicely done! Do you have a pro deal with zpacks????? :-)

Only nit picking, but I don't see a back flush plunger for your sawyer filter, about an ounce. You can get by without one, backflushing by holding the filter firmly against a sink faucet, but prepare to get a bit wet. Have you thought about Aqua Mira? I switched to AM early in my AT hike, glad I did, the water is so clear along most of the trail, no need to filter, just something to kill the little nasties.

I did have a use numerous times for a little swiss army knife, 0.7 ounces, I think I used the little scissors a bunch of times, and the tweezer is handy. Nail clippers?

One silly question: why a 60L pack for a sub 9 lb base? Since the pack is so light, no worries, but I just think 50L or less is all anyone needs for 3-season AT hiking.

BTW: I did use a 20 degree bag for over half the trail, even in warm weather, works fine, you just use the unzipped bag like a quilt, and adjust home much body is covered.

Again, just nit picking. My kit is very similar, and it took me about 10 years of long distance hiking before I got my base under 10. You're way ahead of the game!

Dogwood
12-16-2016, 19:01
Outstanding, practically a dream kit, nicely done! Do you have a pro deal with zpacks????? :-)

LOL I was thinking similar. no worries

I did have a use numerous times for a little swiss army knife, 0.7 ounces, I think I used the little scissors a bunch of times, and the tweezer is handy. Nail clippers?

tweezers are tick ready ;)

One silly question: why a 60L pack for a sub 9 lb base? Since the pack is so light, no worries, but I just think 50L or less is all anyone needs for 3-season AT hiking.

Same thought here. Long large food hauls? Hauling heads of lettuce? Anticipating buying souvenirs along the way? they had a snow globe of Gatlinburg for sale in that town. stocking up on pecan logs for Christmas gifts? :D

BTW: I did use a 20 degree bag for over half the trail, even in warm weather, works fine, you just use the unzipped bag like a quilt, and adjust home much body is covered.

What did you use the other 1/2 of the time?

Dwertle
12-17-2016, 15:30
37457 well here's my nearly completed gear list, still need a nice hat and a few other things like gators, gortex socks for the snow.

Dwertle
12-17-2016, 15:36
I totally forgot to mention what some of the things are. Most are easy for you to figure out, but the Tent is a SoLong 6 by Lightheart Gear, I have their rain jacket and pants too, the in red sacks. Underneath it all is an Engima quilt, 20 degree, long/wide. Since i'm starting late February, i'm bringing the Ghost Whisperer down jacket for camp and to sleep in, the Rab Xenon-X is for cold hiking.

coyote9
12-18-2016, 00:23
I am very tempted I just loaded up my pack with everything minus food and water and it came out to 21.4 pounds. With 4 days worth of food and 3 liters of water (approx. 14 lbs. 2 lbs per day plus 6 lbs water) I will be at 35ish lbs. I know I might be figuring high on the food and water and that will vary day by day. My goal was to keep it under 30 with everything.

That is some heavy food. 3 Liters of water? I only carry a liter

llittle_llama
12-24-2016, 10:43
That is some heavy food. 3 Liters of water? I only carry a liter
Maybe he gets REALLY thirsty?

FiftyNine
12-24-2016, 13:24
Maybe he gets REALLY thirsty?

I was really figuring on the very heaviest I would be carrying. I normally carry about 1 1/2 to 2 liters. On my last hike I had to carry 3 because I had to carry 1 1/2 to 2 days worth. No place to refill.

FiftyNine
12-24-2016, 13:26
I was really figuring on the very heaviest I would be carrying. I normally carry about 1 1/2 to 2 liters. On my last hike I had to carry 3 because I had to carry 1 1/2 to 2 days worth. No place to refill.

Miguelon
12-24-2016, 13:45
Hey hoozurmama,

One thing that stood out to me: your multitool/knife. I'd consider instead victorinox signature... could get a used one off of ebay for $8 ish. Anyways, offers a pen, and a tweezers and is only .7oz. So would have more functionality and one less ounce. Could also use the file and scissors as a sort of nail clipper if'n you are flexible enough.

RockDoc
12-24-2016, 13:56
I want to know how much these ultralight people weigh. Bodyweight please...

Really, you might be able to drop a lot more pounds more easily than spending $$$ for gear that's a few ounces lighter.

It's the elephant in the room (or on the trail).

Oventoasted
12-24-2016, 17:48
Im not going to make UL in the winter months (11-12 lbs) but, for the summer (9lb) i will. I am 6 foot, 165 lbs, male.

Miguelon
12-25-2016, 23:00
Since you are flying in from abroad... let me suggest a wonderful grocery store: Trader Joes. There are two stores in Atlanta. Trader Joes has wonderful chocolate, trail mix, pop tarts, macaroni and cheese. I love, love Trader Joes. Should I hike the AT, I will fill up supply boxes with poundplus chocolate bars (500 grams) Belgian Chocolate that costs aproximately $3.99 to $5.50 (I can't remember the price.)

coyote9
12-26-2016, 11:42

Really, you might be able to drop a lot more pounds more easily than spending $$$ for gear that's a few ounces lighter.

Those few ounces add up to a few pounds. 11 lbs base for winter is the way to go.

MuddyWaters
12-26-2016, 12:06

+
It might be more comfortable to carry weight on your body than on your back
but if your 10-50 lbs overweight it still slows you down and tires you horribly on uphills.

If you are UL and dont routinely hike 17-25 mpd, you probably have other significant issues that are attempting to compensate for by a lighter pack.

Some, like bad knees , or being 70 yrs old, arent much you can do anything about.
Some, like being fat, you certainly can. And its in your general best interest to do so.

FiftyNine
12-26-2016, 12:14

I agree that will also help. I am on the heavy side and trying to lose weight to get ready for the hike. I was able to get 4 backpacking trips in this past summer to get ready for a long distance hike. The first was on the AT and the others in PA, OH and WV. The last one was the hardest for me and should have been the easiest. Even though I am overweight I was hiking on the average of 20-25 miles a week plus hitting the gym. I developed a bad heal spur that kept me from hiking for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. (every time I thought it was OK to hike, I would hike and after a mile I would find myself in terrible pain so I finally took the time off to let it heal correctly. However because of that on my last hike i (Norhfork trail WV) I was not physically ready for it. I was also carrying around 38 lbs (pretty stupid and it wiped me out) So I realized I have to go lighter on both sides, (my stomach and pack) I have a new zpack arc haul on its way and with some other changes I should now be well under 20 minus food and water. BTW I'm back to hiking 20 some miles a week plus the gym and will be adding my backpack in about a month on those day hikes. Still have a lot of weight to lose but on my way.

coyote9
12-26-2016, 12:27
+
It might be more comfortable to carry weight on your body than on your back
but if your 10-50 lbs overweight it still slows you down and tires you horribly on uphills.

If you are UL and dont routinely hike 17-25 mpd, you probably have other significant issues that are attempting to compensate for by a lighter pack.

Some, like bad knees , or being 70 yrs old, arent much you can do anything about.
Some, like being fat, you certainly can. And its in your general best interest to do so.

There are a lot of assumptions going on here. Whats with the anti-UL attitudes here?

MuddyWaters
12-26-2016, 12:42
There are a lot of assumptions going on here. Whats with the anti-UL attitudes here?

Im not against UL

But people that can shed 30 lbs will benefit more by doing so than shaving 5 lbs off pack ...and its free

Just not easy

They should do it for the sole reason it makes them healthier.

We have a nation of overweight people, many depending on drugs to compensate for littany of problems . Problems that are often solved with wt reduction, diet, and excercise

I have a family member with a breast reduction surgery scheduled to help with back and neck pain. She could try shedding 40 lbs first....too hard....slice em off. Insane.

ScareBear
12-26-2016, 13:49
Im not against UL

But people that can shed 30 lbs will benefit more by doing so than shaving 5 lbs off pack ...and its free

Just not easy

We have a nation of overweight people, many depending on drugs to compensate for littany of problems . Problems that are often solved with wt reduction, diet, and excercise

I have a family member with a breast reduction surgery scheduled to help with back and neck pain. She could try shedding 40 lbs first....too hard....slice em off. Insane.

Wow. Speechless....

coyote9
12-26-2016, 15:14
Im not against UL

Just not easy

I cant comment on your family member but some women have large breast that are actually too big for their frame despite their body fat. A reduction is often only recommended inside a certain BF% range. Not sure what that has to do with a gear list or UL backpacking though lol

MuddyWaters
12-26-2016, 15:24
I cant comment on your family member but some women have large breast that are actually too big for their frame despite their body fat. A reduction is often only recommended inside a certain BF% range. Not sure what that has to do with a gear list or UL backpacking though lol

Some people look for the easy bandaid, instead of attacking root of problems.

ScareBear
12-26-2016, 16:35
"Instead of going on a diet, I am going to have big pieces of my breasts cut out under general anesthesia!"

Said no...woman...ever...

ScareBear
12-26-2016, 16:38
Easy Band-Aid(tm)??????

Getting your breasts sliced open, 1/2 of breasts removed, breasts stitched back up, all under general anesthesia...

I'd hate to see your definition of an easy fix mental illness..does it involve pre-frontal lobotomies?

MuddyWaters
12-26-2016, 16:54
"Instead of going on a diet, I am going to have big pieces of my breasts cut out under general anesthesia!"

Said no...woman...ever...

I wish that was true. Its not.
Peoples faces and bodies are sliced and diced everyday just because they think it will make them look better.

Theres a reason fitness models have to get implants

boobs are mostly fat, by the time they get lean, theres no boob left

Do runners not have boobs....or do girls that have boobs not run?

Eternal question.

coyote9
12-26-2016, 17:42
I think we killed this thread

Oventoasted
12-26-2016, 19:56

Well i have a question. Any Feb starters bringing gaiters? I don't like snow in my shoes but, if its unlikely to snow more that 2 inches and it doesn't stick around i think ill save the $$.

Dogwood
12-26-2016, 23:09

No not yet. I wast to hear more about boobs? :p

coyote9
12-26-2016, 23:36
Well i have a question. Any Feb starters bringing gaiters? I don't like snow in my shoes but, if its unlikely to snow more that 2 inches and it doesn't stick around i think ill save the $$.

I like the lightweight gaiters for when I go to shorts to hike in when it warms up. Keeps the pebbles and sticks out.

capehiker
12-27-2016, 01:55
I have carried 30lbs on my back both as skinny (in shape) and as chunky (out of shape). 30lbs felt the exact same each time.

Guyler
12-27-2016, 15:23
@RoamingGnome I see you don't have any cuben fiber repair items on your list, do you plan on adding them? Or what are your thoughts on dealing with small holes in the tent?

AfterParty
12-27-2016, 21:51
I just ordered some dirty girl gaiters I don't know if I'll use them for sure though

Venchka
12-27-2016, 23:41

Snow more than 2"? It depends. It's too soon to know.
Snow more than 2" deep lasting for a few days. Very probable. Highly likely. In February, March and April. Or totally unlikely.
You won't know until May.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
12-27-2016, 23:47

Bring the gaiters unless you plan to skip gsmnp.

You realize upper elevations get about 2 ft snowfall in feb and march, right?

You might get lucky and hit a dry week. I would not bank on it.

Oventoasted
12-28-2016, 00:28

awesome! didnt think the south got that much snow. was thinking it was just southerns panicking over flurries as ive seen before. :p

coyote9
12-28-2016, 02:42
awesome! didnt think the south got that much snow. was thinking it was just southerns panicking over flurries as ive seen before. :p

lol You need to get out more mate. ;)

MuddyWaters
12-28-2016, 05:18
Following pictures borrowed from Johns blog at High on Leconte for illustrative purposes.

Feb 17, 2016. GSMNP

Mar. 02, 2016

Mar 21, 2016

Oventoasted
12-29-2016, 02:20
so, excited i could exploded! 54 more days though! :banana

-Rush-
12-30-2016, 01:12

Class of 2016 got hit with a good amount of snow in GSMNP in early May. A lot of folks suggest going through the Smokies with Goretex boots then dumping them.

jj dont play
12-30-2016, 05:20
Class of 2016 got hit with a good amount of snow in GSMNP in early May. A lot of folks suggest going through the Smokies with Goretex boots then dumping them.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/47fe89f8e0f54cea110350188509d2fb.jpg
May 5th on my thru this year.
I just had trail runners, cheap asics. My feet got soggy but wasn't all that bad. Just changed to dry socks ASAP at the end of the day.

-Rush-
12-30-2016, 12:14
I wore Merrell Moab Ventilators. They got soaked and so did my socks. I only carried two pair of socks, and rather than wear my soaked ones in the morning at 24 degrees (they won't dry out overnight on their own), I resorted to using large ziploc bags over my dry ones which worked fine and kept everything dry until I got to Newfound Gap. It was a tad uncomfortable at first, but after a bit of hiking it was fine.

The Roaming Gnome
02-06-2017, 19:04

Only nit picking, but I don't see a back flush plunger for your sawyer filter, about an ounce. You can get by without one, backflushing by holding the filter firmly against a sink faucet, but prepare to get a bit wet. Have you thought about Aqua Mira? I switched to AM early in my AT hike, glad I did, the water is so clear along most of the trail, no need to filter, just something to kill the little nasties.

Again, just nit picking. My kit is very similar, and it took me about 10 years of long distance hiking before I got my base under 10. You're way ahead of the game!

I've added the Sawyer adapter to flush and gravity feed. The Therm-a-Rest AirTap Pump Kit and a Sandisk MP3 player. Those are the only changes. Sorry for the late response. Busy with other things.

The Roaming Gnome
02-06-2017, 19:07

I weigh 150. HWP.

The Roaming Gnome
02-06-2017, 19:09

Yes, because the tread got hijacked and went off topic.

Elaikases
02-06-2017, 22:04
I have carried 30lbs on my back both as skinny (in shape) and as chunky (out of shape). 30lbs felt the exact same each time.

I lost twenty pounds between section hikes to reduce my load. It doesn't feel like I'm twenty pounds lighter -- though I've enjoyed being at the lower weight otherwise.

I'd expected to feel a little lighter. ;)

QuietStorm
02-07-2017, 07:57
I've lost 44 pounds in a year, primarily through diet changes, gym, and regular section hiking. I've also reduced my base weight by 8 pounds. It's a combination of both. A health weight=healthy heart and joints. A lighter pack=a happier back and shoulders.

The Roaming Gnome
02-07-2017, 08:12
Kit shows a lot of thoughtfulness RoamingGnome. I like it.

Couple thoughts and questions.

1) planning on using the 20* ZP bag/quilt the whole time?

2) suppose you're switching out the 13+ oz Gander Mt convertibles for something like 5 -6 oz nylon running shorts around last wk of April-early May? This has the potential to save 7- 8+ oz.

3) As Carl said resupplying more often has the potential to drop some significant POUNDS carried never mind ounces. Since it seems you are willing to switch out gear and buy gear to save wt perhaps, as it turns into fairer weather, you can also go to a lesser volume lighter wt pack commensurate with lower wt and lower volume food hauls and less voluminous heavier wt colder apparel? A Zpacks 60 L CF hauler may not have to be the end of line in saving backpack gear wt? With your kit one of the more bulkier categories of items can very well be food. If you reduce food volume, however you do that, I think that can get you to the tipping point of evolving or switching out to a lower volume and hopefully(that's the goal) lower wt backpack. Might be something to consider especially since I'm seeing a knee brace in your gear list.

Just a word. Might work your way into your hike if you have knee issues or don't want to aggravate anything existing. i.e.; don't got out the gate too fast too hard too big. HYOH. You do your hike not someone else's. If I can do it still treating a broken ankle you can do it. Be mindful of that as your approach entails minimizing in town time/more time on trail. FWIW, being on trail around other thru-hikers so much it's easy, VERY EASY, to be tempted into doing miles and miles and miles or doing what others are doing when possibly you could be/should be doing what's best for you concerning your body!

4) with your start date good chance(I'd count on it!) you'll encounter times walking in snow. Do you have at least one pr higher height calf height socks and/or something more WR or WP gaiters than the DGs for those times. DG's are great for summer or when it's dry to keep debris out but untreated lycra DGs quickly wet out despite the low wt. Perhaps, treating them with a spray on WPer like ReviveX or Grangers could help since you'll be wearing pants but even still expect wet possibly cold feet and possibly ice up around your pant cuffs and low cut trail runners. Consider more protective shortie gaiters like made from eVent or Neoshell or Schoeller for using the first 5 or so wks. Then, if you like to use gaiters switch to UNTREATED DG's for summer. For me, IMHO DG's aren't a necessity for the mid Atlantic states even with the low cut Solomon's. To each their gaiter own though.

5) I suppose one of the reasons you're choosing to rock the Speedcross 3 is for their very good traction which will be appreciated with your start date conditions that can or WILL involve snow, ice, mud, and slush. I don't know if they're offered in a WP version or if you have the WP version. I assume you aren't taking the WP footwear path. Although that may not be a bad choice for your first pr for the early phase of the thru and then switching to non WP version on your second pr as it gets warmer. I suggest you consider treating that first pr whether WP version or not with ReviveX or Grangers. This helps in several ways and during those cold/cooler periods doesn't have to be such a big deal regarding shoe dry times or breathability compared to warmer months. Applying this WP, DWR, or silicone treatment can help to reduce ice/slush/mud/water build up on the upper and around the gaiters which this combination can have a tendency to do. Don't treat the very bottom of the soles as this can temporarily reduce traction making for slippery footing. Uppers on the Speedcross can hold water, snow and ice and possibly affect the speed lacing system. This makes the lacing more slippery too.

6) with the low cuts and your late winter/very early spring start date you'd be wise IMO to carefully consider everything going on with your feet as a system- a layered integrated system. Sock choices should be carefully considered. Two obvious priorities stand out a) warmth, especially for those first 5 wks or so b) taking care of your feet throughout the hike recognizing how that might change in the cold compared to late April/May on. I guess you've considered one pr calf height socks in that two pr scenario for the beginning during hiking in snow/slush? Here's something you may consider: take two pr of different socks for versatility to address varied weather during at least the first 5 wks or so. With the non WP Speedcross one possible scenario might be to take one pr of merino socks of your choosing the other pr being something like a Hanz insulated WP calf height sock breathable and stretchy. This way you have versatility and address warmth while not having to have wet feet as much. It's an approach that has worked for me nicely in cold shoulder season temps rocking low cut trail runners and light hikers 1/2 size larger. As weather warms you can switch out for two pr ankle height socks. This sock scenario has the potential for you to possible eliminate 1 or both pr of the liner socks. You're call but seems a bit redundant in what amounts to carrying 4 pr of socks IMO with two pr liner socks and 2 other pr. To digress liners socks are possibly useful but once feet become toughened to LD hiking, with modern advanced sock design, and knowing how to tend to and treat feet PREVENTIVELY they can be less useful. You may only need 1 pr. Where they possibly have greater potential IMO is before feet become toughened and/or warm/hot LD starting times.

:)

This shows wherewithal, a willingness to observe and adapt and develop, "I'm sure our packs will change many times during those 2189 miles." :)

Good points. The beauty of the AT is that gear can be changed out every 3-5 days. Nothing is etched in stone and everything is open to change. I posted this a while back but nothing much has changed other than a couple of additions that are in another reply. For the first few hundred miles I'll be resupplying approximately every five days. Locations on or very close to the trail. List is posted on front page of WB. Dehydrates meals I have made. As for sleeping blankets and quilts. I have several ranging from 0-50 AT my disposal and if need be, overnights to a drop.

Sorry for the late response. I'll try try to monitor responses. I've been busy and on other sites.

TTYL

The Roaming Gnome
02-07-2017, 08:49

LOL I was thinking similar. no worries

tweezers are tick ready ;)

Same thought here. Long large food hauls? Hauling heads of lettuce? Anticipating buying souvenirs along the way? they had a snow globe of Gatlinburg for sale in that town. stocking up on pecan logs for Christmas gifts? :D

What did you use the other 1/2 of the time?

A friend, Will Wood of Zpacks, suggested the 60. If your familiar with their packs the top is a roll down. The only difference between their 50 and 60 is the extra material which doesn't WEIGHT that much. BTW, like most packs the out pockets and pounces are inclusive of the size.

Deacon
02-07-2017, 09:03
A friend, Will Wood of Zpacks, suggested the 60. If your familiar with their packs the top is a roll down. The only difference between their 50 and 60 is the extra material which doesn't WEIGHT that much. BTW, like most packs the out pockets and pounces are inclusive of the size.

Right. For their 55 liter pack, the main body is around 44 liters.

tahoejim
02-19-2017, 01:30
i like your set up a lot. you're a bit more militant than me, and it shows in your base weight. i'm setting out on march 6th. feeling a little cold already with my clothing selection, but i figure i can make changes on the fly and only suffer a night or two at the most. hope to see you out there! https://lighterpack.com/r/7inyld