PDA

View Full Version : Beginner overnight Backpack

litetrek
10-04-2016, 08:07
I could use some suggestions for an easy hike for a beginner with either big views or a nice waterfall or something to make it memorable. I am an experienced backpacker (been doing it 40 years) but I'm taking someone with me on my next trip who is in very good physical shape but has never backpacked.

Here are my criteria:

1) North Georgia or as far south as Pine mountain - basically about an hour drive from home +/-

2) Readily available water - I get dehydrated easily and always plan my trips near a stream

3) 3 to 5 miler (loop or out and back)

4) fairly flat terrain (gradual or semi gradual 400-500 feet elevation gain/loss maximum) - for example, the hike up from suches to blood mountain is too steep for a 60 year old beginner

5) hammock camping allowed - state parks might restrict it.

The one that came to mind immediately is a short out and back hike from a trail head in the cohutta wilderness to and along the jacks river. The only downsides to that is the number of copperheads along the river and the number of bears. I was approached by 5 bears there a few years ago ... a lone male and later near dusk by a mother and here 3 cubs. We also saw some copperheads - they're pretty docile unless you step on one. Another time in the cohutta we had wild hogs near us. I never saw one but I could hear them rooting around the edges of the campsite all night long. If my new hiking friend was exposed to any of those on the first trip they may not want to go again. Of course out the woods you might run into something no matter where you go but the Cohutta wilderness greatly increases your chances I think.

Lnj
10-04-2016, 09:48
Pine Mountain has some great smaller loop options. Pretty level terrain and near water and falls. There are about 40 miles in trails in the State Park. The PMT is a whole different animal. You wouldn't want to touch that, but there are lots of loops in the park you might like. Here is a screen shot of the maps:

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2016, 10:33
This is outside of your distance limits, but what I think meets your other criteria is to hike by Abrams Falls in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and camp at Campsite 17. It's about 4 miles one way, with relatively minimum elevation change. Hammocks are allowed and the campsite is nice and level near the creek.

litetrek
10-04-2016, 10:49
Pine Mountain has some great smaller loop options. Pretty level terrain and near water and falls. There are about 40 miles in trails in the State Park. The PMT is a whole different animal. You wouldn't want to touch that, but there are lots of loops in the park you might like. Here is a screen shot of the maps:

Thanks, Pine Mountain might work but I've done it before and don't like having my campsite assigned to me. At least that's what they did last time I was there. I also found that the area was completely picked clean of available fire wood. Thank's for the suggestion. It was on my list of possibles because it is fairly easy and accessible and I still may pick that one but its not the true outdoor experience I was looking for. Also, we are using hammocks, some of the state parks do not allow them....don't know about pine mountian.

litetrek
10-04-2016, 10:57
Thanks, maybe good for another trip when I have more time. I've got to get up early Saturday morning drive to the trail head and hike to the site and then hike back on Sunday and be home by Sunday evening. I only have the one night. North Georgia is very mountainous so finding a short, nice - easy overnight is difficult. There is probably something at Talladega Nat'l forest but the drive is too far. I know of plenty of good hikes in South Carolina but, again, they are too far away. I want to show my friend a true wilderness experience and not a stay in a state park always a few thousand feet from a paved road and surrounded by people, etc.

Uncle Joe
10-04-2016, 11:20
You could do Springer to Long Creek Falls. Springer would provide the views. You could turn right just south of Springer and add that first leg of the BMT for another nice view. Follow that back around to the AT and continue to Three Forks and on to Long Creek. Spend the night back at Three Forks and back to the Springer parking lot. Not a long hike but something for a beginner and fairly docile terrain. I actually put a map of the BMT and AT for this area for someone that I can send you.

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2016, 13:37
Thanks, maybe good for another trip when I have more time. I've got to get up early Saturday morning drive to the trail head and hike to the site and then hike back on Sunday and be home by Sunday evening. I only have the one night. North Georgia is very mountainous so finding a short, nice - easy overnight is difficult. There is probably something at Talladega Nat'l forest but the drive is too far. I know of plenty of good hikes in South Carolina but, again, they are too far away. I want to show my friend a true wilderness experience and not a stay in a state park always a few thousand feet from a paved road and surrounded by people, etc.
I camp in GSMNP from the Birmingham area. I simply wake up at 3:00am the morning I'm going hiking, get to the park around 9-10 o'clock with plenty of time to still do a 5, 10, or 14 mile hike. Since I wake with the sun when camping, even if I have a 10 to 14 mile hike back out of the woods, I'm at my car well before 3:00 and home before 9:00. I think only once have I returned home after 10:00.
Coming out of Atlanta, you've got even less distance to cover than me.
When I head to GSMNP for a camping trip, I try to go to bed early the night before, wake up about 3:00am, take a shower and jump in the car and drive. I get to GSMNP around 9:00, more than enough time to do 5, 10, or even 14 mile hikes the 1st day. One in the woods,

litetrek
10-04-2016, 13:52
You could do Springer to Long Creek Falls. Springer would provide the views. You could turn right just south of Springer and add that first leg of the BMT for another nice view. Follow that back around to the AT and continue to Three Forks and on to Long Creek. Spend the night back at Three Forks and back to the Springer parking lot. Not a long hike but something for a beginner and fairly docile terrain. I actually put a map of the BMT and AT for this area for someone that I can send you.

That sounds like it could be a winner if its all fairly well marked. My first idea was dally gap to the first campsite on the Jacks river- about 3.5 out and 3.5 mi back. Easy terrain and a nice riverside camp site. Its just maybe a little too wild for my friend - although I may still do it. I'll be cooking steaks on the grill and I don't want to attract any bears. They are there. My second idea was Burrells ford to a nice campsite upstream on the Chatooga river. This is an even easier out and back, but its a 3 hour drive over to the Sumter Nat'l forest in SC.

Your idea would be good if the up and down isn't too demanding. My buddy has a heart condition and although he's in great physical shape going uphill really hits him hard - he has to take a lot of breaks. My other idea was back the forest service road near suches just west of where the AT crosses the road. You can take that road about 7 miles back in and park at a trailhead parking spot. The AT crosses the forest service road here. You go up and over about a 400 foot elevation change and down into a little valley with a nice camping site near the creek about 2.5 to 3 miles in. Views this time of year are limited and the camping spot is uninspiring but nice. No wood for a campfire close by unless you want to try to burn dead rhodys. They don't make good firewood.

litetrek
10-04-2016, 13:57
I camp in GSMNP from the Birmingham area. I simply wake up at 3:00am the morning I'm going hiking, get to the park around 9-10 o'clock with plenty of time to still do a 5, 10, or 14 mile hike. Since I wake with the sun when camping, even if I have a 10 to 14 mile hike back out of the woods, I'm at my car well before 3:00 and home before 9:00. I think only once have I returned home after 10:00.
Coming out of Atlanta, you've got even less distance to cover than me.
When I head to GSMNP for a camping trip, I try to go to bed early the night before, wake up about 3:00am, take a shower and jump in the car and drive. I get to GSMNP around 9:00, more than enough time to do 5, 10, or even 14 mile hikes the 1st day. One in the woods,

Yeah. I know its doable because I've done similar things myself. But my buddy is in his mid 60's and doesn't want to get up in the wee hours. This trip is for his enjoyment, not mine. Its something he's always wanted to do and I would like him to have a good time.

Uncle Joe
10-04-2016, 14:34
That sounds like it could be a winner if its all fairly well marked. My first idea was dally gap to the first campsite on the Jacks river- about 3.5 out and 3.5 mi back. Easy terrain and a nice riverside camp site. Its just maybe a little too wild for my friend - although I may still do it. I'll be cooking steaks on the grill and I don't want to attract any bears. They are there. My second idea was Burrells ford to a nice campsite upstream on the Chatooga river. This is an even easier out and back, but its a 3 hour drive over to the Sumter Nat'l forest in SC.

Your idea would be good if the up and down isn't too demanding. My buddy has a heart condition and although he's in great physical shape going uphill really hits him hard - he has to take a lot of breaks. My other idea was back the forest service road near suches just west of where the AT crosses the road. You can take that road about 7 miles back in and park at a trailhead parking spot. The AT crosses the forest service road here. You go up and over about a 400 foot elevation change and down into a little valley with a nice camping site near the creek about 2.5 to 3 miles in. Views this time of year are limited and the camping spot is uninspiring but nice. No wood for a campfire close by unless you want to try to burn dead rhodys. They don't make good firewood.

If you want to msg me your email address I'll send you the map I created. You can see from the map all of the intersections and there is signage on the trail as well. A buddy of mine was in a similar situation, needing something not too overwhelming. I think the first 5-10mi of both the AT from Springer and the BMT from Springer are largely light duty climbing wise. So no big climbs. Shortly after you leave Springer on the BMT you get a really nice view South. Nothing much else scenic until you start getting to some creekside trail.

litetrek
10-11-2016, 10:27
If you want to msg me your email address I'll send you the map I created. You can see from the map all of the intersections and there is signage on the trail as well. A buddy of mine was in a similar situation, needing something not too overwhelming. I think the first 5-10mi of both the AT from Springer and the BMT from Springer are largely light duty climbing wise. So no big climbs. Shortly after you leave Springer on the BMT you get a really nice view South. Nothing much else scenic until you start getting to some creekside trail.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. ipolk84's suggestion got me looking more closely at a map and we decided to park in the USFS 42 access lot, up and over Springer and down the access trail to Black gap shelter and back the next day. The trip was more rigorous that I wanted to take a first time on but she did fine and had a good time.

We camped in the area around the shelter. There were maybe 20 people there and I was hoping for no crowd, but it was a nice quiet gathering of people. Water at black gap requires some effort. There is a little spring about 350 paces down a steep side trail. I wasn't tired from the hike in until I went up and down for water a few times - good exercise! It had water in it as of two days ago.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:34
1st section of the AT isn't all that bad.