PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in the path of a hurricane

JLorenzo77
10-04-2016, 12:16
Okay, so I'm pretty risk-averse. Probably relates to the fact that I injured myself on a hike this spring. We are supposed to hit McAfee Knob Friday - Saturday, basically route 311 to Troutville. This hurricane is starting to track west and the forecast right now conservatively calls for showers during both days. These are out in front of the actual low pressure. Now this could obviously change over the next several days, but I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the rain and, potentially worse, the wind.

My friends seem pretty eager to go however. The idea of sleeping in a tent, or even a shelter under a canopy of trees with wind and rain isn't that appealing to me.

Just wanted the thoughts of some pretty experienced hikers. Keep in mind this will be my first overnight trip.

Traveler
10-04-2016, 12:37
Hurricane paths are a difficult prediction, a hundred miles can mean the difference between scattered showers and breezy versus torrential rain and high winds over 45 mph. The only advice I have is, if you are uncomfortable to be in challenging weather, or don't feel you are at the level of experience to fare well, its OK to say no thanks.

I can't tell if you are driving to a trail head to McAfee Knob on Friday or will be hiking to it. If driving, you should give it a day or two and make the decision Thursday sometime based on the latest information and have a good idea of where the storm is headed.

JLorenzo77
10-04-2016, 12:53
Hurricane paths are a difficult prediction, a hundred miles can mean the difference between scattered showers and breezy versus torrential rain and high winds over 45 mph. The only advice I have is, if you are uncomfortable to be in challenging weather, or don't feel you are at the level of experience to fare well, its OK to say no thanks.

I can't tell if you are driving to a trail head to McAfee Knob on Friday or will be hiking to it. If driving, you should give it a day or two and make the decision Thursday sometime based on the latest information and have a good idea of where the storm is headed.

Thanks, Traveler! I appreciate that. I'll be driving down to the trail head early on Friday. I live in Maryland and it's a 3.5 hour drive. Was planning on arriving by 9. My buddies are both driving in from various locations Thursday evening.

I agree with you regarding the path of the hurricane. I was hoping for a nice, weather-friendly environment for my first overnight hike on the trail. That said, my buddies are experienced and if it isn't going to be terrible, I will rely on them to help guide me.

AfterParty
10-04-2016, 13:07
Man hurricains sound like Kansas thunderstorms. Just longer in duration. Do it you may never have another chance to survive a hurricane on the AT. Think of the stories your grandkids could tell about you.

Tipi Walter
10-04-2016, 13:27
I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the rain and, potentially worse, the wind.

My friends seem pretty eager to go however. The idea of sleeping in a tent, or even a shelter under a canopy of trees with wind and rain isn't that appealing to me.

It's funny how people can be so different. I carry gear which allows me to do one of my favorite things---Hike and camp in rainstorms with tremendous winds.

gsingjane
10-04-2016, 14:00
I would like your first trip to be enjoyable so you will want to go out again and again. If you are suffering from tons of nervous anxiety and stress, it probably won't really be a very good time. Maybe you'll want to wait one more day to see what's up, but I sincerely feel that if the concern over the weather would wreck the trip, just go another time.

Jane in CT

Tipi Walter
10-04-2016, 14:22
Or pull "the trip" in your backyard in a tent and go inside the house if things get weird.

ARambler
10-04-2016, 14:23
You and others seem too smart. Hurricanes are difficult to track, and you are not entitled to a certain forecast now. Why not wait?
My forecast does not look bad for Roanoke. These tropical moisture systems bring warm rain, so hypothermia is not likely if you are prepared.
I would not go because I'm a wimp, not because I'm afraid.

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2016, 14:23
It's funny how people can be so different. I carry gear which allows me to do one of my favorite things---Hike and camp in rainstorms with tremendous winds.
An example of an experienced hiker with the knowledge of how to pack for what many might call "harsh conditions".

But to the OP, I would recommend that you post-pone your trip until you're going to have fairer weather.

For the uninitiated, even a basic camping trip has things that it will teach you... lessons you need to learn, lessons so basic that us more experienced hikers have long forgotten that we had to learn these things.

So unless you already have some outdoor experience, I would suggest that you ease into learning to enjoy the back country by trying to have your 1st camping trip be one when the weather conditions are going to be a bit more fair, then try to tackle more challenging trips one you have some experience.

I can sort of equate the situation with learning to drive. The 1st time to get behind the wheel of a car to learn to drive, do you start by heading out to a busy city street on a rainy day? Or do you start by puttering around in an empty parking lot on a clear day?

JLorenzo77
10-04-2016, 14:35
You and others seem too smart. Hurricanes are difficult to track, and you are not entitled to a certain forecast now. Why not wait?
My forecast does not look bad for Roanoke. These tropical moisture systems bring warm rain, so hypothermia is not likely if you are prepared.
I would not go because I'm a wimp, not because I'm afraid.

Yeah, agreed. It's just some rain showers now which isn't bad. I am totally a wimp.

JLorenzo77
10-04-2016, 14:37
An example of an experienced hiker with the knowledge of how to pack for what many might call "harsh conditions".

But to the OP, I would recommend that you post-pone your trip until you're going to have fairer weather.

For the uninitiated, even a basic camping trip has things that it will teach you... lessons you need to learn, lessons so basic that us more experienced hikers have long forgotten that we had to learn these things.

So unless you already have some outdoor experience, I would suggest that you ease into learning to enjoy the back country by trying to have your 1st camping trip be one when the weather conditions are going to be a bit more fair, then try to tackle more challenging trips one you have some experience.

I can sort of equate the situation with learning to drive. The 1st time to get behind the wheel of a car to learn to drive, do you start by heading out to a busy city street on a rainy day? Or do you start by puttering around in an empty parking lot on a clear day?
I'll pay attention to the weather and decide as we get closer. I'm already nervous about the trip, without factoring in the weather.
It's a good analogy, the driving.

pickNgrin
10-04-2016, 14:47
Inland hurricanes are very hit and miss. When hurricane Hugo came through, I was living in upstate SC. It was a non-event for me… really just a bad storm. We were West of the eye. A little ways away in Charlotte, where my parents lived, it was a scene of devastation. The eye pretty much went over their house. Someone camping in the woods behind their house could easily have been killed by falling trees and/or flying debris.

pickNgrin
10-04-2016, 14:53
Just to expand on that a little, typically the worst winds are a little East of the eye. This is because the forward motion of the hurricane combines with the rotation, causing the winds to be higher. If the predicted path of the the hurricane is near your camping location, and particularly a little to the West of it, I would consider staying away.

Water Rat
10-04-2016, 15:16
Okay, so I'm pretty risk-averse. Probably relates to the fact that I injured myself on a hike this spring.
I'm not terribly excited about hiking in the rain and, potentially worse, the wind.

Hurricane, or no hurricane...your post doesn't read as if it is written by someone who wants to go on this overnight. In fact, it sounds like you have already talked yourself out of going on the trip. T

here is nothing wrong with that - If you don't want to go, you don't want to go. It doesn't make you a "wimp" or "afraid," it simply means you are not ready to take that step. You are the only one who can determine when you will be ready, but if you force it you are not going to have a great time. Ask yourself this - If you go out there and have a miserable experience will that make you less likely to go on overnights in the future?

My take is this - Your first time out should be something you look forward to. If camping in the rain is not your idea of a good time, then don't begin your backpacking career by beginning on a weekend when the weather is potentially less than desirable for you. McAfee Knob is a scenic highlight - I would want to hit that on a day when it wasn't overcast/raining/tree limbs weren't possibly trying to kill me. You are only 3.5 hours away and it sounds like you might have some flexibility to change this trip to perhaps a more optimal weekend?

I encourage you not to base your decision on "my buddies are eager to go." You need to make your decision based on what works for you.

illabelle
10-04-2016, 15:28
We hiked from VA311 (Catawba) to Daleville one wet weekend. It started out alright that Friday evening when we got on the trail. The next morning at McAfee's Knob, everything was fogged in. We couldn't see the valley stretched out below the bluff. Had somebody take our picture on the Knob, but it was hard to see anything, just a blob in the whiteness. Later in the day it was raining pretty good at Tinker Cliffs. We had marginally better visibility, but still poor, so we just briefly glanced at the rocks and plodded on. Reached the shelter, stripped down to nothing, and changed into dry clothes.

This little section is supposed to have great views, which we missed. If you're hoping for nice views, maybe think about holding out for nicer weather. But don't stay inside. Put on your rain gear, and go hiking somewhere else. :)

Lnj
10-04-2016, 15:35
My first camping trip ever, not back packing, just regular tent camping was the week of Christmas and it rained the entire week. Just my husband and I and a brand spanking new puppy, all of about 9 weeks old and about 8 inches long. We had the best time ever. It was also the first time I ever hiked a mountain.

I also happened to be tent camping with the family at Stone Mountain Georgia when a tornado came through. My husband and I are very big people. We had a large 3 room tent and we had 2 army cots with a queen air mattress on top of it. It was like a regular bed and both of us asleep on it and we were woke up by winds outside trying to lift the floor of tent up. We had to stand and put all of our weight against the walls to hold the tent down. The kids were outside in their own little 2 man dome tents and they had no idea anything was even happening until we yelled and woke them up to get in the car. We had to drop our tent to save all the food and things inside and we all spent the rest of the night in the bath house. Honestly, it was still a great time. The weather that day was picture perfect and the weather the next day was also perfect. Just a very rough night. We couldn't figure out why everyone else at the campground was packing up and leaving on such a great day. They were listening to the radio I guess. We are going dark that week. Had the whole place to ourselves the rest of the week. It was awesome.

With that said, if you aren't t he adventurous type and can't keep it cool when something crazy happens and see the humor or fun it, just decline and go another time. Its all about enjoying ones self, right? I mean you are required to go. You aren't getting paid to go, so if you will be nervous and miserable with worry, then its a waste of your time. Just pick another time. No biggie. Your gut is a very intelligent organ. Don't ignore it.

Gambit McCrae
10-04-2016, 15:57

Tipi I love my Hilleberg as much as you love yours but it still isn't a match for a 5000 lbs tree falling lol

Traveler
10-04-2016, 16:01
Tipi I love my Hilleberg as much as you love yours but it still isn't a match for a 5000 lbs tree falling lol

Maybe REI has their handy "Non-Squashable Tree Top Damage Protector" thingy on sale. Best way to sleep soundly is to have that attached to the tent.

peakbagger
10-04-2016, 16:04
Back the same year as Katrina there was another smaller Hurricane forecast to head off shore. It didn't and headed onshore and sat over Franklin NC and drowned the town. We were driving south for two weeks vacation hiking while it hit. The interstate north of the smokies closed due to slides as did several other roads. All side roads into the Nantahala NF that could be gated were and posted that anyone attempting entry would be arrested. We headed south to the Robbinsville GA area and hiked the Georgia section of the AT. A few blowdowns but that was about it. A week later we headed back up to Frankin area, the NF would not let us go into the Standing Indian area but did allow us to blue blaze from Deep Gap to the next gap north of Standing Indian. Deep Gap road was closed washed out in several places and many of the local roads used to access the AT were rutted significantly. We were slackpacking with two cars and it made for some interesting hikes. We were stopped on the road one day heading to Wayah Bald a week after the event where damage to the road was repaired from a entre house washing off the side of mountain had slid down into a ravine across the road. I expect backpackers got wet and had to deal with blowdowns but if they got in trouble and needed to head out to civilization, it would have been a multiday trip in some places. I would be worried the most about wind driven objects landing on tents and shelters. I have seen a shelter smashed to bits in the whites after a bad windstorm.

Tipi Walter
10-04-2016, 16:09

I buy my ticket and take my chances with whatever Miss Nature has planned. Plus, often the worst winds are on open balds without trees. Otherwise I study what's overhead and set up accordingly---not under dead snags. But anything can fall at any time---so we never go out?????

Saw this on a recent trip---and it's a common occurrence---tree limb spiked and buried int the ground. Who can prevent this, even in no wind?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/19-Days-in-a-Rattlesnake/i-69T83vL/0/XL/Trip%20175%20064-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/19-Days-in-a-Rattlesnake/i-m6R5d6j/0/XL/Trip%20175%20065-XL.jpg

Venchka
10-04-2016, 16:39
Falling timber is probably your worst danger up there.
It's just overnight. 24-30 hours tops. How tough can it be?
Be dry. Be safe.

Wayne

John B
10-04-2016, 18:05
One of the few times that I can say "been there, done that" -- ha!

2005? 2006? Hurricane Helen? I can't remember the fine points, but the hurricane barreled through north Georgia/southern TN and NC and left blow-downs all over the place. It was more a huge pain in the butt crawling through that mess than it was scary, though. Guess I was too stupid to realize that one of them could just as easily blow down on me than elsewhere. I stayed in a shelter, though, so I didn't have to worry about my tent withstanding the winds.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2016, 18:12
I've been caught out hiking in the tropical storm remnants of two hurricanes. One was in the middle of the 100 mile wilderness - it rained hard for 24 hours, starting about noon. Spent the night in an over stuffed lean-to with a tin roof inches from the top of our heads. The noise was deafening.

The other time was on the northern end of the Long Trail, but that one moved off quicker. In both cases I got really, really wet and hiking in that heavy, wind driven rain wasn't a whole lot of fun.

So, I would say, go next weekend.

Dan Roper
10-04-2016, 19:56
The forecast track means this hurricane has two things going on that might reduce the impact inland: by Friday, it should be curving east, and its right side (the much stronger side) should be at sea. Based upon the current track, the impact to the Appalachian chain in Virginia could be negligible, though that is subject to change if the hurricane moves significantly west of its currently forecasted track.

There was a somewhat similar situation in 1979, when Hurricane David moved north, just of the eastern coast of Florida. I lived in Miami at the time. The wind and rain were negligible. Now, this hurricane is stronger and it's path uncertain, so there aren't any guarantees. But places that do end up 100 miles west of the eye aren't going to get clobbered - people in that area are more likely to wonder what the fuss is all about. Of course, it's a different matter for those in the path of the eye or to the right of the storm.

rocketsocks
10-04-2016, 20:28
One thing I detest about activity during and after a hurricane is the humid maritime air mass, down right nasty.

MuddyWaters
10-05-2016, 06:41
your far enough away from storm track to be unnaffected, except cloud cover and maybe some sprinkles.

English Stu
10-05-2016, 07:01
I hiked in this area in 2004 in the rain spin of Hurricane Ivan. With a few others I holed up for three days in garage hostel near Catawba. Media estimates where between 10 and 22 inches of rain in the period. Soon afterwards I came across a road and was met by snowplough clearing the road of mud. The real issue was the amount of water in the streams what were normally a few inches deep but were now torrents and virtually impossible to cross on the regular trail. As I was solo I gave up on those and took a High Level route which still had lots of water on it.

JLorenzo77
10-05-2016, 08:14
I want to thank everyone for their bits of wisdom and advice. As a newbie who hasn't done anything beyond day hikes, I do have a bit of a crisis of confidence. So many firsts in one trip (that far with that much weight, hiking in rain, never having slept on the trail) is daunting. And driving 3.5 hours to one of the most scenic spots on the trail only to not be able to take in the view.

saltysack
10-05-2016, 10:50
Just go...what's lil rain and wind???
IMG_3345.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
10-05-2016, 10:50
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161005/e351e9dcf2f6d7da284b18acbeb6ac3e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
10-05-2016, 11:34
When hurricane Sandy Hamden land fall in NJ the Delaware Water Gap some 60 miles inland was not spared. Mt. Minsi on the PA side lost a bunch of tall pines. Good luck if ya go, don't forget to look up.

rocketsocks
10-05-2016, 11:36
Thats when hurricane sandy "made land fall"
auto correct blows!

rocketsocks
10-05-2016, 11:39
One more Mt Minsi looking into NJ

JLorenzo77
10-05-2016, 13:37
My buddy and I revised our plan and will do something a little closer to home, in southern PA. Were thinking of starting at Old Forge and heading north to Rocky Mountain shelter for the first night. Not sure where a good parking spot 5-6 miles north of that is though.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-05-2016, 14:17
We hiked from VA311 (Catawba) to Daleville one wet weekend. It started out alright that Friday evening when we got on the trail. The next morning at McAfee's Knob, everything was fogged in. We couldn't see the valley stretched out below the bluff. Had somebody take our picture on the Knob, but it was hard to see anything, just a blob in the whiteness. Later in the day it was raining pretty good at Tinker Cliffs. We had marginally better visibility, but still poor, so we just briefly glanced at the rocks and plodded on. Reached the shelter, stripped down to nothing, and changed into dry clothes.
:)

I seem to remember that trip! As I recall, it began with dinner at the Homeplace followed up by a water-delivery escort to the 311 kiosk! Sorry you had lousy weather.

illabelle
10-05-2016, 14:29
I seem to remember that trip! As I recall, it began with dinner at the Homeplace followed up by a water-delivery escort to the 311 kiosk! Sorry you had lousy weather.

Yep! That's the trip, alright! I'm sure we'll be back up there one day and redo that section. McAfee and Tinker are easy enough to get to, and too special to settle for a foggy view. :)

hikernutcasey
10-05-2016, 14:34
My buddy and I revised our plan and will do something a little closer to home, in southern PA. Were thinking of starting at Old Forge and heading north to Rocky Mountain shelter for the first night. Not sure where a good parking spot 5-6 miles north of that is though.The track has changed considerably and if you still wanted to do your original trip you very easily could. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/153139.shtml?5-daynl#contents

ADVStrom14
10-05-2016, 18:31
The track has changed considerably and if you still wanted to do your original trip you very easily could. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/153139.shtml?5-daynl#contents

This is what I was about to say. They are even saying that it will take a tight curved turn east and be well off the coast of NC at 2 am Sunday. (From the last projection I saw.) I live in eastern NC and my town is only "projected" to get 1-3" of rain. I have lived here long enough to know not to trust in that fully but since I am planning my own trip this weekend to mid-west NC, I still plan to go if this projection is at all accurate.

You have to do what you feel is right for you, regardless of what anyone else says. If you are not comfortable then wait but I don't know that weather is going to be an issue for you. And trust me when I say, it truly sucks to be looking out your window at the white fluffy clouds cruising through the crisp blue sky and you thinking about the trip that you are supposed to be on. :( (Of course I'm sure the same could be said for the opposite occurrence too. :D)

theinfamousj
10-05-2016, 21:00
I once camped in Pisgah during a three-day tropical storm (something had stalled the storm and it just sat overhead). I learned two things that long weekend: (1) I suck at paying attention to weather forecasts and (2) I pick really good waterproof tents.

It is an adventure to have if you want to have such an adventure. But most people only need that adventure once. Your gut telling you that you won't be comfortable is all the authority you need on the subject. Because you won't be comfortable. Your gut will see to it, even if the outside environment is fine. And why sign up for that kind of advanced-warning discomfort?

Tuckahoe
10-06-2016, 06:42
As with many hurricanes Matthew may come to naught, and we tend to deal with them well enough along the coast. But the issue I have is a somewhat dismissive sentiment to a hurricane's potential dangers inland during the storm and in the days that may follow.

Camille may be an extreme case, but take the time to read about what the storm did in central Virginia in August 1969. We get to deal with the winds and storm surge along the coast, but in the days that follow the real dangers inland is the sudden flooding.

Maydog
10-06-2016, 07:50
It is not uncommon for inland areas to have tornadoes on the edges of hurricanes. I once drove 3 hours inland from the TX coast to avoid a hurricane. The town I left got a lot of rain. The town I drove to got slammed with 2 tornadoes.

I'm not suggesting whether you should go or not, but be very aware and very prepared.

JLorenzo77
10-06-2016, 09:24
Thanks again, everyone! My friend and I are moving our hike north and back a day, doing something in PA Saturday-Sunday. I'm thinking Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace, about 20 miles over two days.

We both don't feel like driving 3.5 hours to a scenic overlook we might not be able to see. And as many of you pointed out here, I need to ease into this overnight backpacking thing. So a night out there that is only 90 minutes from home and has cooler but probably dryer weather is something I prefer at this stage.

Berserker
10-06-2016, 13:19
Thanks again, everyone! My friend and I are moving our hike north and back a day, doing something in PA Saturday-Sunday. I'm thinking Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace, about 20 miles over two days.

We both don't feel like driving 3.5 hours to a scenic overlook we might not be able to see. And as many of you pointed out here, I need to ease into this overnight backpacking thing. So a night out there that is only 90 minutes from home and has cooler but probably dryer weather is something I prefer at this stage.
Sounds like a good call. The current weather forecast is for it to start raining Friday night and persist most of the day Saturday with up to an inch of rain. Not super bad conditions, but you'd probably miss out on the awesome view from McAfee.

JLorenzo77
10-06-2016, 13:23
Sounds like a good call. The current weather forecast is for it to start raining Friday night and persist most of the day Saturday with up to an inch of rain. Not super bad conditions, but you'd probably miss out on the awesome view from McAfee.

Exactly. I can cherry pick a better weekend to do that one. This trip will introduce me to a few firsts I want to knock out before heading down there.

Tundracamper
10-06-2016, 15:16

People are also killed in their houses by falling trees.

FlyPaper
10-12-2016, 09:52
FWIW: I actually hiked this section Friday and Saturday, taking 3 brand new hikers with me (and one other experienced hiker).

The forecast I was looking at the day before called for the hurricane to move east and the rain in the hiking area would be about 0.2 inches (2.5 hours of rain) over the two days.

Turned out it rained for 24 straight hours and was overcast the whole time. We got practically no views and few pictures.

We stayed at the campsite just north of Lambert's Meadow. It had rained the whole day and we setup our tents in the rain. We went to bed at 8:00pm and woke up about 7:00am. It rained harder at night and seemed to have rained about 3 inches while we were asleep. The inside of everyone's tents were wet. Had we had an accurate weather report, we'd have postponed our hike.

CalebJ
10-12-2016, 09:56
For what it's worth, the Grindstone 100 mile race started on Friday at 6pm about 90 minutes north of here. The first 26 hours of the race was steady rain. It wasn't until 8-10pm on Saturday night that they finally got clear conditions for the last few hours (obviously depending on how fast they were). I got to be at the finish line from 10pm - 7am and was stunned by the perseverance of the runners, particularly those coming in towards the end. Tough, tough weather for a lot of trail miles.

pickle
10-12-2016, 10:04
Hope everyone on the A.T. made it through the storm and is ok