PDA

View Full Version : AT, CDT, PCT Massive Wall Maps (free)

postholer.com
10-04-2016, 12:37
We have just completed (or started) the wall map project. Currently we have maps for the PCT, CDT and AT.

These maps are created at a high resolution, 300 dpi and print about 1x3 feet. If you decrease your print to 150 dpi, you still get a very sharp printed map at 150 dpi or a massive wall map of 2x6 feet!

The purpose of these maps are 'follow along' maps for friends and family. You could also use them for planning as they have all the popular resupply locations.

Maps of this format has been missing from our collection, so we're stoked to bring these to you. After logging in you can download your favorite map at: http://www.postholer.com/wall-maps

Here's a low-resolution example.

(http://www.postholer.com/wall-maps)

http://www.postholer.com/meta/data/3/wallMap/3_wallMap-400x.jpg

mgmtrnr
10-13-2016, 00:20
How do you print something this big? Can it be done on a home HP printer? Or, would it need to be taken to a print shop or Staples if I wanted to print it at the 1' X 3' size or the 2' X 6' size?

chknfngrs
10-13-2016, 07:49
That's a great question and I'd like to know as well. Why do we have to create a login as well?

colorado_rob
10-13-2016, 08:50
Nice looking maps, thanks postholer!

Great site, worth registering, lots of info on these trails, again thanks!

I've printed large poster size stuff at either Target or Walmart or maybe Kinkos or Staples, browse online, if I beat you to it, I'll holler back with best place. We're going to print that PCT map.

Greenlight
10-13-2016, 09:01
Without owning a plotter, you'd have to take this to a print shop that owns a plotter to have it printed.

How do you print something this big? Can it be done on a home HP printer? Or, would it need to be taken to a print shop or Staples if I wanted to print it at the 1' X 3' size or the 2' X 6' size?

BillyGr
10-13-2016, 19:38
Maybe some kind of setting on a regular printer that would allow it to be printed as multiple pages then you could assemble it?
I know that used to work with some of the programs where you could do signs/banners and such, but not sure if it still works with more current programs/printers.

postholer.com
10-13-2016, 21:36
As greenlight stated, you'll need a plotter or order prints through Staples, et al. There are also places on the internet where you can upload a file and have them print. I've seen prices of $35 and up. YMMV.

These map images are very large. To prevent the average drive by downloader from downloading the maps without having a genuine interest, you'll need a login. It's free. Most importantly, it doesn't waste resources. I pay for the bandwidth used.

Since I've released them there has been several hundred downloads. This tells me hikers really wanted this resource and they don't mind creating an account to get it.

As colorado_rob pointed out, there are lots of other downloadable maps that can be printed with that expensive free login! :)

-postholer

mgmtrnr
10-14-2016, 12:17
Okay...here's the what I found.

I searched far-and-wide on the internet and found a bunch of sites that do poster prints. I was sitting around last night watching the baseball game so I was able to do some comparative shopping. The best deal I found was at a website called Vivyx Printing. I decided to go with the 36" X 12" poster because I didn't want to put out too much money and I wanted to see how it came out first. This website has an offer for new customers so, if you locate the "coupon code", you can get 30% off your first order. You can get an even bigger discount for the 72" X 24" poster. I think the price of the larger poster was going to be around $30.

Poster 36" X 12".........................$6.50
Vendor Charge (yeah, really!!)......$3.00
Shipping....................................$6.00
30% off discount.........................$1.95

TOTAL......................................$13.55

I will update when the poster arrives to let you know about the quality of the poster and how it looks overall.

DISCLAIMER: I have no association or affiliate with Vivyx Printing except for the fact that they have all of my billing information right now.

postholer.com
10-14-2016, 19:14
Okay...here's the what I found.

I searched far-and-wide on the internet and found a bunch of sites that do poster prints. I was sitting around last night watching the baseball game so I was able to do some comparative shopping.

Cool! Definitely keep us posted!

-postholer

peakbagger
10-14-2016, 19:26
I have a plotter in my home office. I only stock the cheap paper. Ideally I would order a higher quality paper, but I am limited on ink type. Kind of handy for side jobs like this. I would recommend Staples as they usually have more durable ink and a choice of paper. Standard plotter ink tends to fade in the sun fairly quickly. Most engineering service companies have high quality plotters. I have had outdoor banners plotted before on a cloth like material. They seem to hold the ink really well and are quite durable.

HogFan
10-18-2016, 14:03
Excellent.
I predict a cool birthday present to myself soon.

2017SOBO
10-18-2016, 14:44
For $40 you can get a 6 foot high one printed at Office Depot (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/416387/Full-Color-Custom-Poster-72-x/).

This would be a fun poster to leave with family or friends so they can keep track of your progress as you thru-hike.

YoungBloodOnTrail
10-18-2016, 18:46
I've left a poster for my family on both the AT and PCT, and will definitely use this one for the CDT. Thanks a bunch!

chknfngrs
10-19-2016, 08:18
Cool beans! That's a big map!!

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:27
Wow that's impressive!