PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky International one person tents

TrevorMom
10-04-2016, 16:28
I want to buy a new one person tent with a side door. I am looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1, but caught sight of the Big Sky Revolution tent.  Does anyone have any experience with their tents? There is not a lot out there and they are all special order.

Venchka
10-04-2016, 16:34
Clueless on your two choices.
Look at TarpTent and LightHeart Gear.

Wayne

Hosh
10-04-2016, 18:28
I have owned 2 TT's, sold them and now have 3 CS UL1 UL3 UL4 in the stable. I looked at Big Sky, at the time they were having some serious delivery problems. The Mirage 1P looks like a nice tent, little narrower than a UL1 and a little shorter. It does have 2 nice size vestibules, the UL1 has a single. Big Sky states that the Mirage is best suited for western climates with lower humidity.

I like the UL1 and have many nights on it, 4 in GSMNP as a matter of fact. It is pretty small with the width tapering and headroom is ok. It is aerodynamic shedding wind well with the addition of the tie outs. The UL fabric is pretty tough and very waterproof. The DAC poles are easy to set up and can be used in a fly only configuration. The zippers are pretty small, need a little TLC when operating. Venting is good with little condensation accumulation. They are a bit expensive, but I got the UL3 & 4 on SNC at 50% off. I got the UL1 with an REI cooopun using my dividend $'s

la.lindsey
10-04-2016, 18:50
I had (have) a Big Sky Soul that I used for several months. I liked it a lot, initially.

It was super easy to set up, lightweight, didn't have condensation issues as long as I staked out the sides (and even if I didn't it really wasn't that bad I'm just picky)... but I snapped a pole on Jane Bald one day and wasn't overly impressed with their customer service considering the price, etc of the tent, and I'd been looking for something a smidge bigger and lighter, so I switched to Tarptent. I prefer to sleep in shelters, so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pringles
10-04-2016, 21:36
I've had a Big Sky tent for years. It is my favorite free standing tent, and I've been very happy with it.

TrevorMom
10-05-2016, 09:48
Thank you! This is just the type of information that I was looking for!!!

TrevorMom
10-05-2016, 09:51
Which one? Do you have condensation issues? How about setting up/taking down the tent up in the rain? I live in PA where both the spring and fall can be rainy. I just don't want to get the inside of the tent wet when I'm inevitably out there in wet weather. This is the reason I want to replace my current tent,

TrevorMom
10-05-2016, 09:53
It rains a lot here in PA, were you able to set up/ take down the tent in the rain w/o getting the inside of the tent wet? Thanks for the information on their customer service BTW, it will make a difference in my decision. I can always go straight to REI if I need a replacement and or have a problem, this is something to consider.

la.lindsey
10-05-2016, 10:22
It rains a lot here in PA, were you able to set up/ take down the tent in the rain w/o getting the inside of the tent wet? Thanks for the information on their customer service BTW, it will make a difference in my decision. I can always go straight to REI if I need a replacement and or have a problem, this is something to consider.

I assume this is in reply to me. I live in Tennessee, so I know a little about rain. It's quick to set up. I'd get it a tiny bit wet inside, but nothing a quick wipe down wouldn't handle (and then I'd put my wet CCF pad in there and get it wetter, and myself, and my pack...it didn't much matter).

I go out almost every weekend, so I need quick turnaround. I also do long sections when I get time off from school (any break I have I'm out for the entire break). If you don't, the customer service may not be an issue.

When I snapped that pole, the tent was definitely in beyond design basis conditions. And then I tripped over the pole.

It was a great tent until I started changing my backpacking style. And then I needed something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrevorMom
10-12-2016, 07:38
Thank you again Tapatalk, you have given me a lot of good information to think about over the winter. I really appreciate it!