PDA

View Full Version : News Article: AT Hiker enthusiastic about wintertime

SavageLlama
01-12-2006, 09:59
A little something for those with cabin fever from today's Business Gazette in Maryland..

Appalachian Trail hikers enthusiastic about wintertime
by Rebecca McClay
Business Gazette
Thursday, Jan. 12, 2006

The streams of hikers on Appalachian Trail thin out after November, but several local enthusiasts continue to trek for shorter stints during the cold weather.

President of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club Tom Johnson, who hikes the portions of the trail just about weekly, said winter hikes offers several advantages and challenges for local hiking enthusiasts.

‘‘Everything changes in the winter,” Johnson said. ‘‘It’s totally different than hiking at any other time of year.”

With upwards of 6,500 members, the club is the largest Appalachian Trail hiking club south of New York and is still active in the winter, Johnson said. The 65-year-old said he has been hiking since he was a teenager.

Winter hikers may enjoy better views after leaves have fallen. They may also find overnight cabins are more spacious and the trials less populated.

‘‘If you don’t like to see people, hiking during the winter might be a good time,” Johnson said. ‘‘It’s not quite like walking down Connecticut Avenue.”

Spotting a thru-hiker, or a hiker who completes the entire 2,178-mile trail from Georgia to Maine in one six-month hike, is rare in the winter, said Laurie Potteiger of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, a volunteer group that oversees the trails maintenance and operations.

But whereas several years ago winter thru-hiking ‘‘was virtually unheard of,” now a few hikers may make the whole trek through the cold conditions, Potteiger said.
‘‘Statistically, it’s a small number,” she said. ‘‘But it’s still a very significant figure when we would never in the past have seen them in December.”

She said those extreme hikers have likely already completed the Appalachian Trial once and are looking for a unique challenge.

‘‘We certainly not something we’d recommend,” she said. ‘‘You have to be very careful about hiking during the winter.”

Instead, the trial serves as winter recreation for several day-hikers, or segment hikers, who can more easily fend off the dangers of winter with shorter trips.

In Frederick County, the Appalachian Trail serves as the 41-mile border with Washington County and runs along the South Mountain State Park ridge, roughly 2,000 feet above sea level.

Johnson said hikers must factor in elevation during colder months, as some portions of the trail may ice-over and weather at higher elevations may not match local weather reports.

‘‘Hiking in the winter can differ pretty dramatically,” Johnson said. ‘‘The mountains here in Maryland can top out at 2,000 feet. The elevation is the critical thing – how high up are you going to go in the winter?”

Johnson said portions of the trail along the Frederick County border may be as much as 10 degrees different than weather reports in Frederick city or Washington, D.C.
‘‘You need to have a good map to show you the elevations of the trail,” Johnson said. He avoids hiking in below-freezing temperatures and overnight winter stays.

During icy conditions, local hikers may seek lower-elevation hiking options in the area such as the 18-mile Bull Run trail in Fairfax, Va., or Sugarloaf Mountain in Dickerson, both with elevations of about 200 feet.

Selena Montorfano, advocacy director for the American Hiking Society, said the Appalachian Trail draws about 3 million hikers annually, about 500 of whom are thru-hikers. She said the trend of winter hiking is increasing.

‘‘The air [in the winter] is very crisp,” Montorfano said. ‘‘You don’t have to worry about some of the insects you would in the summer. And people enjoy the beauty.”

She said a study by the Outdoor Industry Association concluded that 75 million people participate in hiking nationwide.

Appalachian Trail enthusiasts layer up clothing and tote more cold weather equipment to hike through the discomforts of winter.

Potomac Appalachian Trail Club members volunteers to maintain about 1,000 miles of the Appalachian trail in Washington, D.C., Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

The Appalachian Trail, developed by volunteers, opened as a continuous trail in 1937 and was designated as the first National Scenic Trail by the National Trails System Act of 1968, according to the National Park Service.

<HR>
Find out more For tips on winter day-long hikes:
* Potomac Appalachian Trail Club: www.patc.net⁄index.htm (http://www.patc.net⁄index.htm/)
* Appalachian Trail Conservancy: www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/)
* National Park Service: www.nps.gov⁄appa⁄index.htm (http://www.nps.gov⁄appa⁄index.htm/)

minnesotasmith
01-12-2006, 10:09
I wonder how much the blazes would be covered by windblown snow (snow's the same color as the blazes, after all), especially north of Fontana. With the Trail itself covered with snow, so you mostly wouldn't see the change to having vegetation off the Trail, it would seem that losing one's way would be considerably more likely when doing AT hiking in the winter. Anyone hiked enough on the AT in winter to be able to comment on these?

Big Dawg
01-12-2006, 10:39
I wonder how much the blazes would be covered by windblown snow (snow's the same color as the blazes, after all), especially north of Fontana. With the Trail itself covered with snow, so you mostly wouldn't see the change to having vegetation off the Trail, it would seem that losing one's way would be considerably more likely when doing AT hiking in the winter. Anyone hiked enough on the AT in winter to be able to comment on these?

I've done many trips in the winter on the AT,, & have been caught in some crazy snow/ice storms. I can tell you from experience that windblown snow covering up blazes on trees just doesn't happen,, or doesn't happen enough to be an issue----for me. The only time it's ever a concern for me is when crossing over a bald & rocky area where blazes are on rocks. When the open expanse is big enough, carns or posts are placed close enough to notice while walking atop a bald. What amazes me is how well the trail is visible, even w/ 6-12" of snow. The trail is so well traveled & manicured that in most places you can easily see the "trail corridor" even w/o looking for blazes. It's a great experience!! As a matter of fact, I'm heading out for my next section hike in February,, Sam's Gap to Erwin,,,,, then Erwin to Damascus in early March.

Big Dawg
01-12-2006, 10:51
especially north of Fontana.

I hiked the smokies starting at the end of February/2004, & even though we only had a few days of light "snowfall",,, prior snowstorms had left 6-12" snowpack in some areas. It never caused a problem. I never once lost the trail!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6260&c=665&userid=2317

Alligator
01-12-2006, 10:54
Good article, I enjoyed it. It has a regional flavor to it. The reported has cabins and lean-tos mixed up and the number of thru-hikers is off I would say. But then again, what do I know, I'm just a segment hiker:D .

I wonder how much the blazes would be covered by windblown snow (snow's the same color as the blazes, after all), especially north of Fontana. With the Trail itself covered with snow, so you mostly wouldn't see the change to having vegetation off the Trail, it would seem that losing one's way would be considerably more likely when doing AT hiking in the winter. Anyone hiked enough on the AT in winter to be able to comment on these?Pathfinder is a little more challenging. There is some tendency to make short wrong turns. Even then though, you start to feel that you are off the trail. While it might seem plausible that the wrong turn you are on is the trail for a short while, often the layout of vegetation quickly indicates that the trail is not under the snow. It's often just small deviations off the trail with quick convergence in a short distance. We lost the trail in Mahoosuc Notch, but there the blazes are on the rocks. My buddy once lost the blazes under snowpack. As the snow gets deeper, the blazes and branches get lower. He was in the Whites though, and I'm not sure if he was on the AT that trip.

Newb
01-12-2006, 11:05
I know Tom Thorson and am on his distro list. The guys a nut. (Mean't in a good way). He's always setting up these hikes that go 17 miles and change altitude 2500 feet 2 or 3 times.

I met he and his wife on the trail last year, they are the ones that discovered the mess at the Manassas Gap shelter...abandoned tent, abandoned wallet, beer bottles, human feces on the trail.

Good guy, very gung ho.

Newb
01-12-2006, 11:07
Of course, Thorson wasn't mentioned above in the article, thought he was. ignore me.

springerfever
01-12-2006, 11:57
headed out his weekend for the Smokies........can't wait !!

Great views and NO bugs !!!

SavageLlama
01-12-2006, 19:41
Would love to do the Smokies in the winter. Some day...