PDA

View Full Version : Water availability?

Snowdog
10-05-2016, 22:22
Planning a late October hike from Dicks Creek Gap to Newfound Gap. Any feedback on the availability of water? Thanks in advance.

TNhiker
10-05-2016, 23:15
I've heard newfound gap south to Fontana dam is dry.......

Tipi Walter
10-05-2016, 23:40
Just think---Guys with 12 lb packs just might have to carry 16 lbs extra . . . . . of water. It gratifies me for some reason.

slbirdnerd
10-06-2016, 08:35
The southern half of GSMNP is very dry, got an email this week from the backcountry office that a couple of the shelters are dry--something like 20+ mile stretch. Call them and they can give you an update/details.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2016, 09:49
Just think---Guys with 12 lb packs just might have to carry 16 lbs extra . . . . . of water. It gratifies me for some reason.

People with 12 lb packs have no problem with 16 lbs water.
It's the ones with the heavier packs that do....

6L water and 5 days food? No problem here. Might be right at 30-31 lbs.

SouthMark
10-06-2016, 11:25

Why do you care what others carry and how much it weighs. You sound as if you have just as big of an ego problem as the ultralighters.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2016, 11:57
Why do you care what others carry and how much it weighs. You sound as if you have just as big of an ego problem as the ultralighters.

Naw, I just like seeing guys who spend 12 months cyber hiking to reduce their packweights to minimus feather loads and then have to carry 16 lbs of water. It makes me laugh. Poor babies, we're in a drought. Miss Nature is screwing with their backpacking commitment and load-hauling incentives. But heck, it'll start raining again and these gram-weenies will be back out in droves.

Just my opinion on the matter. Feel free to have your own.

Oh and btw, show me a human being with no ego.

Venchka
10-06-2016, 12:24

Amen, Brother.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundracamper
10-06-2016, 15:21
I'm planning to be up that way in late October as well. I'm hoping some of the rain (not winds) from the storm swings over that way and drops some water. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I was up there a few weeks ago and things were pretty dry. Sigh...

Snowdog
10-06-2016, 23:43
Thanks gents. Just looking for an update. I'd heard that hikers were coming into NOC dehydrated. BTW... water north....past Spivey is generally in good shape. I was at Cross mountain and low gap today and the flow rate was good.

Tundracamper
10-07-2016, 14:22
I see some outer bands of the storm moving into that area. Hoping they get enough to make some difference.

CharlieWhisky
10-07-2016, 14:35
Hi All,
I'm planning a Oct 15 four day hike from woody gap south to the Falls parking lot. I am somewhat concerned that the listed water sources might not be available. Does anyone know the current reliability of the listed sources? What is the probability of finding additional sources, seeps and streams, along this thirty mile stretch? We are carrying Life Straws and water purification tablets and are prepared to drink what is available, if it is available.
Thanks in advance

Venchka
10-07-2016, 16:28
I've heard newfound gap south to Fontana dam is dry.......

That might be changing right now.
http://www.raysweather.com
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmartincma
10-10-2016, 23:03
I hiked from Springer to Woody Gap 2 weeks ago. No water at Woody Gap even though it is listed, can't remember if there was water between Woody Gap and Gooch Gap as I didn't need water there. There was definitely water at Gooch Mountain Shelter, Blackwell creek, the stream at mile 14.9 and Justus Creek. There is water at Hawk Mountain Shelter, but no official water between Justus Creek and Hawk Mountain Shelter. However, there was trail magic water AND an army water buffalo at Cooper Gap when I went through. Plenty of water between Hawk Mountain Shelter and Springer. Don't know about from Springer to the Falls, but I have heard that water is scarce there unless you take the Hike Inn trail; you could stop at the Hike Inn for water.

CharlieWhisky
10-12-2016, 20:22
thanks a lot!

Trailweaver
10-13-2016, 02:44
Dry everywhere in the GA area - whole state has been in draught situation since early summer.