PDA

View Full Version : Dietary needs going to end LD hiking?

nuknees
10-06-2016, 07:31
I'm in my later 50's, 160lbs (my high school senior wgt) realtively active. I spent 4 months on the AT last year attempting a thru. A couple months ago I had to have a Stent inserted into a main heart artery that was 95% blocked. I'm blessed with not only being alive still but a body that just naturally produces a lot of LDL.
Having to now pay close attention to cholesterol, fat and salt levels in my food, I fear my long distance hikes are over as I was basically a boil in bag person or consumed the other food stuffs serious LD'ers did...salamies, hard cheeses, ect.
As I cook - prepare healthy meals here at home, I can't imagine cooking and preparing such stuff on the trail!
Anyone out there in a similar situation with any practical advice?

Starchild
10-06-2016, 08:23
What are some healthy foods you are eating? Many can be trail adapted. Some hikers do elaborate meals on the trail, so cooking what you want is possible, but stayign ultralight + cooking what you want may not be.

dudeijuststarted
10-06-2016, 08:28
I don't have a heart stent (yet,) but I do have thyroid issues and major weight loss really isn't an option anymore. I've historically eaten processed junk on-trail. In the future, I'll have to LDH with maildrops. Much of what you use in the kitchen can be dehydrated and easily reheated on trail. Instead of white flour pastas, source long grain rice. It is a good protein source with lots of fiber. Eat nuts that will give you healthy fats and lots of protein. A brazil nut or two daily with give you selenium. Black beans are superfoods which provide not only fiber and protein but phytonutrients as well. You also have many cottage industry backpacking meal manufacturers, such as the one reviewed here by Anish:

http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/2016/09/paleo-meals-to-go-review.html (http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/2016/09/paleo-meals-to-go-review.html)

Additionally, consult a sports nutritionist, ideally someone with experience with ultramarathoners, and of course your GP before going out for a long-distance trek.

runt13
10-06-2016, 08:33
You can do it! I had to make a diet change to battle the trifecta [high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar], It took some time but I found a system that works for me.
I currently do not take anything for diabetes, or cholesterol, I just eat healthy and monitor my sugar 2 times a day.
Remember knowledge is key, keep a very detailed diet diary of what you eat and what you feel like, pay attention to your body and what you put into it.
Although i have not done any LD hikes, I spend a lot of time away from the convenience of home and with proper planning I can maintain my proper diet. This includes moderate periods of time living out of a tent while hunting and scouting, sometimes for a few weeks.

RUNT ''13''

DuneElliot
10-06-2016, 08:40
I think you will have to make your meals at home and dehydrate them, then rely more on mail drops and you can still boil in a bag. At town stops most places have the options for salads and other healthy meals. I think you can do it, just might be a little more labor intensive but definitely doable.

FreeGoldRush
10-06-2016, 09:04
I'm in my later 50's, 160lbs (my high school senior wgt) realtively active. I spent 4 months on the AT last year attempting a thru. A couple months ago I had to have a Stent inserted into a main heart artery that was 95% blocked. I'm blessed with not only being alive still but a body that just naturally produces a lot of LDL.
Having to now pay close attention to cholesterol, fat and salt levels in my food, I fear my long distance hikes are over as I was basically a boil in bag person or consumed the other food stuffs serious LD'ers did...salamies, hard cheeses, ect.
As I cook - prepare healthy meals here at home, I can't imagine cooking and preparing such stuff on the trail!

If you are willing to buy and use a freeze drying machine (we have a HarvestRight) then you can take just about anything you want and at the lowest possible weight. We eat very healthy at home and I too have trouble consuming large amounts of cheap, processed foods. Even nice restaurants almost always use the cheapest foods when preparing their gourmet meals.

Dont expect much understanding from others, however. Most people are completely unaware of what they are eating. They read proteins, calories, sugar, etc., on the label and think they it is all the same.

Traffic Jam
10-06-2016, 09:06
Some long-distance hikers have experienced improvements in their biochemical profiles despite the crappy hiker diet. Do some research, I think you'll find you can relax on your diet.

Tipi Walter
10-06-2016, 09:13
I think after Clinton had his heart surgery he went vegan and I can tell you it's possible and easy to backpack eating a vegan diet: No eggs, no dairy, no meat. I prepare all my vegan foods at home on my dehydrator but then again I've been a vegetarian for the last 44 years so it's definitely second nature by now.

Btw, in the last several years I have met A LOT of backpackers with stents.

Spirit Walker
10-06-2016, 10:48
IF you do mail drops, it's not that difficult to eat a healthy diet. Tuna, salmon and chicken can be purchased in foil packets. Whole wheat pasta, rice, etc. are easy to find. You can dehydrate beans, tomato sauce, etc. if you can't find them in the store. Dried fruit and healthier protein bars or whole wheat fig bars for snacks, along with nuts. Olive oil for calories. Oats or another healthy cereal for breakfast. You don't have to eat junk. If you get more protein, you'll feel more full than with a high sugar diet.

One Half
10-06-2016, 11:53
We recently changed the way we eat. nothing processed. no grains. no added sugars. It's been great. We feel fantastic, etc. We have decided we are going to buy a harvest right freeze dryer. as a matter of fact my husband keeps asking me if I have ordered it yet! I have been a "canner" and dehydrator for years (running tomato sauce in the dh right now for powder) so the FD'ing should be an even better option for us. We will be able to make complete meals or just components and freeze dry them, not just for hiking but all travel. It's VERY hard to eat out the way we eat.

Venchka
10-06-2016, 12:28
... Tuna, salmon and chicken can be purchased in foil packets.
Where do you find chicken in foil? I haven't seen any in stores since forever.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turtle fast
10-06-2016, 13:47
It doesn't end your long distance hiking. It just requires more thought/research into your food preparation techniques. You may need to carry some more fresh ingredients and pre-prep other items.

Venchka
10-06-2016, 14:16
I'm finding incredibly well provisioned super markets in the most unlikely places. "Healthy Food" is everywhere.
In the dehydrated backpacking food category Good-To Go is a small Maine based company with a vegan-gluten free menu. You might try them at home before hitting the trail. You can find them at outfitters (REI, etc) or online in single and double servings.
Worst case: Live on Red's bulk instant oatmeal and Craisins for a few days.
Good luck.
Wayne

Venchka
10-06-2016, 14:21
Recent find, probably around since forever: Sun Dried Tomatoes without oil in plastic bag.
Wayne

Coffee
10-06-2016, 15:43
My trail diet is appalling when I resupply in towns and only slightly better when I start out on a trip and resupply via mail drops. I've been thinking about buying a dehydrator lately.

Deadeye
10-06-2016, 15:54
Lots of good ideas. Check out harmony house for dried veggies.

garlic08
10-06-2016, 15:56
My typical trail town resupply: A box of rolled oats, a bag of walnuts, a bag of raisins, mixed together to make a bag of muesli. A stack of tortillas and a jar of peanut butter for meals and snacks. Instant mashed potatoes if available for dinners. A bag of cashews and another bag or raisins as trail mix. A bunch of celery, a bunch of carrots, a banana or two for fresh stuff every day. Not enough fresh stuff for a good vegan diet, but not too unhealthy and it works fine and gives me a good 4000 calories per day. You can​ resupply without a bag full of chips, jerky and candy.

Dogwood
10-06-2016, 16:03
What are some healthy foods you are eating? Many can be trail adapted...

Yup.

By not relying on highly refined highly processed prepackaged food making something similar but healthier and tastier yourself you can cut down on salt, added sugar, cholesterol, and...........etc etc etc. Your ingredient list in anything you eat should be understandable without having to look it up in a chemistry or "food science" textbook. This can be done at home to begin with. Then, as you experience making your own do so on a multi day hike buying along the way.

It doesn't end your long distance hiking. It just requires more thought/research into your food preparation techniques. You may need to carry some more fresh ingredients and pre-prep other items.

+100

I'm finding incredibly well provisioned super markets in the most unlikely places. "Healthy Food" is everywhere....

+100

Greenlight
10-06-2016, 16:06
As I was reading your post and the responses, it occurred to me that a shift in thinking might be of benefit. Make your meals part of the adventure. Maybe even build your hiking around the meals. It may limit how far you go in a day (higher caloric expenditure each day), but if your meals are banging, and you are deliberate about taking the time to prepare them correctly so they're palatable, you're going to have really good experiences especially in camp. Don't hike until you're so tired that all you want to do is crawl in your bag and pass out. Be a deliberate gourmand on the trail.

Dogwood
10-06-2016, 16:08
...I've historically eaten processed junk on-trail. Eat nuts that will give you healthy fats and lots of protein. A brazil nut or two daily with give you selenium. Black beans...which provide not only fiber and protein but phytonutrients as well. You also have many cottage industry backpacking meal manufacturers, such as the one reviewed here by Anish:

http://runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/2016/09/paleo-meals-to-go-review.html

Additionally, consult a sports nutritionist, ideally someone with experience with ultramarathoners, and of course your GP before going out for a long-distance trek.

A big culprit is highly refined highly processed prepackaged meals/food like products.

Paleo diets often contain high levels of cholesterol because they rely on animal products for nutrients such as protein. Paleo dieters typically have HIGH protein consumption definitely NOT necessarily a good thing.

You can do it! I had to make a diet change...It took some time but I found a system that works for me...Remember knowledge is key,...pay attention to your body and what you put into it...

I like the positive affirmations...from everyone! However, some(many?) don't correct their poor dietary and lifestyle choices even after gaining knowledge hence in a life saving effort back themselves into the Western medical community's usual approach of prescribing anti-statin meds, one of the most profitable drugs for the pharmaceutical industry. This is one reason why advertisers of those promoting cholesterol meds will say: "But sometimes diet and exercise aren't enough, and you may need to take cholesterol medications. Cholesterol medications might help: - Mayo Clinic

How many times have you heard or read that?

There's a big difference knowing what to do and doing what we know to do.

I think you will have to make your meals at home and dehydrate them, then rely more on mail drops and you can still boil in a bag. At town stops most places have the options for salads and other healthy meals. I think you can do it, just might be a little more labor intensive but definitely doable.

Those are many of the assumptions but they don't have to be the reality. You don't necessarily have to dehydrate foods at home to be a LD hiker in the OP's situation. It's easy enough to make better food choices where there is a great variety where you quickly make your own meals, snacks, b'fasts, etc as you buy along the way by focusing at buying at med-large grocery stores. Focus on increasing ingredients that are anti inflammatory, low or non cholesterol containing, WHOLE MINIMALLY PROCESSED REAL FOODS, vegetables, fruits, roots, berries, avocados, oily fatty fish containing "good fat"(sardines, wild salmon, herring, mackerel, albacore, trout, black cod, when choosing canned opt for packed in water or EVOO), lean chicken(skin removed and preferably ORGANIC), lean cuts of meat in LIMITED HUMAN SIZE NON CUSTOMARY AMERICAN SUPER SIZED PORTIONS, olive oil, ORGANIC canola oil(hard to find), while grains, legumes, quinoa, various rices(go beyond white rice PLEASE!), garlic, turmeric, ginger, seeds, nuts, also nut and seed butters, try sprouted nuts and seeds for greater nutrition, oats, amaranth, millet, pastas(pastas are traditionally thought of as only made from wheat flours but all sorts of flours can be used, try quinoa pastas or SOBA noodles made from buckwheat).....

Make up your own seasonings and flavorings with real foods like herbs, spices, vegetables, a bit of EVOO, etc rather than letting the "food science" companies do it for you. They want you to rely upon them like a drug dealer wants a user to rely on them.

Salads are not the only path to health. They can actually be unhealthy, if you think widely how salads are defined and what can be added to the "greens."

Some long-distance hikers have experienced improvements in their biochemical profiles despite the crappy hiker diet. Do some research, I think you'll find you can relax on your diet.

I've seen some of this research. It appears so. But biochemical profiles are affected by so many aspects beyond being a LD hiker. People who limit their dietary intake/drastically change their diet, regularly exercise, get fish air, and reduce risks through lifestyle changes(not smoking for example) as do LD hikers but also anyone who is not a LD hiker experience improvements to their biochemical profiles. It's interesting to note that people like gardeners or those who spend much time deeply connecting with Nature have longer lives. In Japan shinrin-yoku "taking in the forest atmosphere" or forest bathing" is large part of preventive healthcare and healing. Native American Indians, innumerable other indigenous cultures, and John Muir knew this.

Dogwood
10-06-2016, 16:19
I think after Clinton had his heart surgery he went vegan and I can tell you it's possible and easy to backpack eating a vegan diet: No eggs, no dairy, no meat...

Mr Clinton is looking much better much brighter more fit these days do to adopting a PLANT BASED DIET. I say good for his family and him. https://www.ornish.com/zine/the-daily-mail-i-wanted-to-see-my-grandkids-grow-up/

LOVE THIS REVELATION that departs from the outdated DNA deterministic scientific theory of the past:
“Your genes are not your fate… if you change your lifestyle, you change your genes.”

One doesn't have to necessarily become a strict vegetarian or Vegan to address health issues although it certainly can address lowering high cholesterol levels. One with high LDL levels does need to understand is dietary cholesterol is ONLY found in animal sourced food products. Part of the lifestyle change M.D.s recommend is reducing dietary cholesterol and less blood cholesterol raising saturated fats by eating less animal sourced food products and by choosing leaner animal options. Things like pork bacon, deli meats, cheeses, sausage, hot dogs, an abundance of whole eggs, chicken nuggets, etc should be avoided or limited. Uhh, with 95 % of the aorta blocked MAYBE JUST MAYBE it's time to get serious about avoiding high cholesterol foods! These often contain high amounts of salts too. Highly processed highly refined prepackaged foods especially meals should be carefully reviewed for their added salt and sugar content. AVOID all trans fats(hydrogenated anything!) lurking in - AGAIN - highly processed highly refined prepackaged food like products.

There is research connecting sugar consumption which is pro inflammatory with higher cholesterol levels hence the rec from the OP's healthcare practitioner to reduce sugar intake. More and more were observing the typical western diet laden with highly refined highly processed prepackaged food like products being a major driving factor in all the OP's health issues listed.

We recently changed the way we eat. nothing processed.... no added sugars. It's been great. We feel fantastic...

Here are some interesting alternative points of view that you're not likely to entirely hear from a western trained M.D. concerning some reasons why cholesterol has so massively attached itself to your artery walls.http://nbaresearchgroup.com/health-info/preventing-heart-disease-part-3/

It turns out there are people with exceptionally HIGH LDL levels that don't have noticeable cholesterol problems like Atherosclerosis. I know of about 10 people personally. I also know people who have well below normal LDL ranges, not over weight, and who are seemingly fit from all outside appearances, yet have cholesterol related issues like Atherosclerosis. WHY? Could one culprit be the scarring or etching of artery walls making cholesterol more likely to adhere and build up problematically? http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247837.php

Metals in trans fats, smoking, air pollution, possibly chlorinated and fluoridated drinking and bathing water, SUGAR.....http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20100420/high-sugar-diet-linked-lower-good-cholesterol#1 EVEN drinks high in sugar like sodas, fruit drinks, and foods containing HFCS are associated with cholesterol, obesity, and diabetes. Of course this information is fought tooth and nail by the American Beverage Association.

I'm sure the OP is on anticlotting meds and if isn't already, unless lifestyle and dietary changes are KNOWINGLY APPLIED to satisfactorily reduce these medical issues/stats, scripts for anti-statin drugs with some of the problems they can cause will ensue.

I know I'm probably just hearing myself speak. I've gone through this same scenario with several loved family and friends all who have had their quality of life diminished and some to the degree they are no longer here DESPITE knowing this information.

Dogwood
10-06-2016, 16:23
As I was reading your post and the responses, it occurred to me that a shift in thinking might be of benefit. Make your meals part of the adventure. Maybe even build your hiking around the meals. It may limit how far you go in a day (higher caloric expenditure each day), but if your meals are banging, and you are deliberate about taking the time to prepare them correctly so they're palatable, you're going to have really good experiences especially in camp. Don't hike until you're so tired that all you want to do is crawl in your bag and pass out. Be a deliberate gourmand on the trail.

I like it...alot. The post offers another solution. This thread is impressing for it's positiveness and solution oriented comments. :banana

Lnj
10-06-2016, 17:16
As overweight, though healthy at present, hiker who wishes to shed some frame weight.... I am listening. Now, how about sharing some seriously rich and delicious healthy meal recipes to get a person in the right mindset. I LOVE food. I love healthy food and unhealthy food and all food in between... except liver. I love meat but I also love veggies. If I could eat all vegan and be truly satisfied with the taste and it's filling ability as well as how long it keeps you full, then I would be all onboard.

Those of you, Dogwood and Tipi, who eat vegetarian and/or vegan exclusively please share a recipe or two that will cause us to wonder what took us so long to chnge our wicked ways :)

One Half
10-06-2016, 17:23
Where do you find chicken in foil? I haven't seen any in stores since forever.
Wayne

usually right next to the canned chicken

Traffic Jam
10-06-2016, 17:24
I've seen some of this research. It appears so. But biochemical profiles are affected by so many aspects beyond being a LD hiker. People who limit their dietary intake/drastically change their diet, regularly exercise, get fish air, and reduce risks through lifestyle changes(not smoking for example) as do LD hikers but also anyone who is not a LD hiker experience improvements to their biochemical profiles. It's interesting to note that people like gardeners or those who spend much time deeply connecting with Nature have longer lives. In Japan shinrin-yoku "taking in the forest atmosphere" or forest bathing" is large part of preventive healthcare and healing. Native American Indians, innumerable other indigenous cultures, and John Muir knew this.

Agree 100%...my point for the OP is to not let his circumstances prevent him from LD hiking. Do the best he can and enjoy life. The benefit of LD hiking will balance out consequential deviation from his diet. :)

MuddyWaters
10-06-2016, 17:31
I find it funny how many equate fat, salt, sugar as being the universal bad things still. arent, and never were.

The two biggest unhealthy things are man-made fats, and refined flours. Eliminate those, alcohol, and tobacco and your doing pretty.good.

Traffic Jam
10-06-2016, 17:54
If you get more protein, you'll feel more full than with a high sugar diet.

I tend to think the same way (and have posted similar thoughts in the past) but reading comments from long- distance hikers seems to discredit this idea. They crave sugar and carbs and protein does not fill that void.

One Half
10-06-2016, 18:09
I tend to think the same way (and have posted similar thoughts in the past) but reading comments from long- distance hikers seems to discredit this idea. They crave sugar and carbs and protein does not fill that void.

They crave those things because those things work on your dopamine receptors just like drugs (I think that's the right name). If you don't eat those things you don't get those cravings. We no longer eat grains and added sugars.

Traffic Jam
10-06-2016, 18:26
They crave those things because those things work on your dopamine receptors just like drugs (I think that's the right name). If you don't eat those things you don't get those cravings. We no longer eat grains and added sugars.

So, your premise is that if a hiker has a healthy diet prior to a long-distance hike and the hiker eats plenty of protein, they will not crave sugar and carbs?

In theory, I totally agree with you. But, I've read and talked to many healthy hikers who could eat an entire pizza, 6 honey buns, huge burgers, fries, and beer etc. at one sitting...and it still wasn't enough to satisfy them.

Any LD hikers wish to comment? This subject fascinates me and I'm not arguing...just want clarification from everything that I know versus everything that I've read. :)

Traffic Jam
10-06-2016, 18:32
I find it funny how many equate fat, salt, sugar as being the universal bad things still. arent, and never were.

The two biggest unhealthy things are man-made fats, and refined flours. Eliminate those, alcohol, and tobacco and your doing pretty.good.

Two out of three ain't bad.

One Half
10-06-2016, 20:33
So, your premise is that if a hiker has a healthy diet prior to a long-distance hike and the hiker eats plenty of protein, they will not crave sugar and carbs?

In theory, I totally agree with you. But, I've read and talked to many healthy hikers who could eat an entire pizza, 6 honey buns, huge burgers, fries, and beer etc. at one sitting...and it still wasn't enough to satisfy them.

Any LD hikers wish to comment? This subject fascinates me and I'm not arguing...just want clarification from everything that I know versus everything that I've read. :)

Yes actually. For me it is no longer an option. I refuse to eat those things. Will I have a HUGE appetite on a LD hike? Sure. But fat and protein and veg goes a lot further towards satisfying any hunger I have. Once you give up all those things you stop craving them. I'm not saying you never get a "twinge" but the addiction is done. I have a friend who eats pretty close to what I do and she did a large section this summer. Hiker Hunger never kicked in for her. Like I said in other posts, this is a somewhat recent change in food for me (3+ months) and I haven't tested myself under LD conditions. I will see once I next have an opportunity to hike more than 7 days.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2016, 20:43

I can tell you, for me at least, I will never feel sated eating protein. I might feel full, but Im still hungry, its two separate feelings and has to do with blood sugar levels, not fullness. I eat low carb most of the time, I always feel a bit hungry. Protein doesnt raise blood sugar fast enough to give the sated feeling, followed by crash and drowsies. Only carbs really make you feel content imo.

It starts when we are young, babies crave sweetness, high calorie foods as a means for ensuring survival. But in nature, not as prevalant as our refined crap foods are that are killing us today.

Traffic Jam
10-06-2016, 20:53
Yes actually. For me it is no longer an option. I refuse to eat those things. Will I have a HUGE appetite on a LD hike? Sure. But fat and protein and veg goes a lot further towards satisfying any hunger I have. Once you give up all those things you stop craving them. I'm not saying you never get a "twinge" but the addiction is done. I have a friend who eats pretty close to what I do and she did a large section this summer. Hiker Hunger never kicked in for her. Like I said in other posts, this is a somewhat recent change in food for me (3+ months) and I haven't tested myself under LD conditions. I will see once I next have an opportunity to hike more than 7 days.

Let me know how things go...I'm very curious!

I also live a healthy, active lifestyle. I don't hike long distances and usually have trouble consuming an adequate amount of calories when hiking...to the point of gagging and being nauseous when I try to eat. Small, frequent snacks are tolerable. Yet, as soon as I'm headed home, I crave soda and a large, carb-laden meal !?!

Venchka
10-06-2016, 21:37
Replace the white crystals of death (processed sugar) with Agave Nectar.
I have been told by more than 1 source that we make cholesterol and that genetics determines the quantity and quality. Thanks to my mother I'm on simvastatin.
You didn't tell us about the meals you create at home. Care to share an example? It might be good for you to invest in a decent dehydrator for the meals you create. It might take some simplification but I bet you could come up with good trail meals.
Be prepared for your taste to change completely on the trail.
An example of a fantastic grocery store in the middle of nowhere is in Chama, NM. Don't miss the High Country Saloon nearby either.
Good luck.
Wayne

Venchka
10-06-2016, 21:41
usually right next to the canned chicken

I get that. But which stores? I have searched high and low. Walmart, HEB, Brookshires, Albertsons. Nada. Zip. Zero. No chicken in foil.
Wayne

One Half
10-06-2016, 23:41
I get that. But which stores? I have searched high and low. Walmart, HEB, Brookshires, Albertsons. Nada. Zip. Zero. No chicken in foil.
Wayne

it's not a food item I eat so I can't say with certainty what stores carry it but Amazon has it! https://www.amazon.com/Tyson-Chicken-Breast-7-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B003NRMHFI

MuddyWaters
10-07-2016, 06:34
Wayne

Chicken in foil packs was available 5-8 yrs ago, even 3oz packs. Then some people got sick and they disappeared from market. They came back only as 7oz packs and were never popular or widely available. Check Amazon.

MuddyWaters
10-07-2016, 06:47
I have been told by more than 1 source that we make cholesterol and that genetics determines the quantity and quality. Thanks to my mother I'm on simvastatin.

Yep
Genetics determines the greatest part of your health and tolerance of risk factors. Everyone is similar, but not the same. Some people have high blood pressure at 20 yrs old, some don't have it no matter what, even being obese and eating poorly for 50 yrs.

egilbe
10-07-2016, 07:12
Franco-Americans in the st lawrence river valley are predisposed to high cholesterol levels, like 400 level high. Its genetics. Nothing they can do about it. The early deaths in that area is why research was focesed on "maybe there might be a genetic link to cholesterol levels" Its also why there is the thought that limiting dietary fats has no bearing on serum cholesterol levels. Its not connected.

I tend to eat a high protein, high fat diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. I avoid processed food and snacks, unless I'm hiking. While I'm hiking, its almost always dried fruits, nuts, chia seeds, oatmeal, hard cheeses, whole grain crackers and the occasional spam packet.

still slowly losing weight and my last physical was good...but I'm not franco-american.

Venchka
10-07-2016, 11:57
Chicken in foil packs was available 5-8 yrs ago, even 3oz packs. Then some people got sick and they disappeared from market. They came back only as 7oz packs and were never popular or widely available. Check Amazon.

Thanks for the explanation and confirmation of what I'm seeing in the market place.
Sometime ago I found a 7 oz foil package of Tyson chicken at Walmart. It was a fake smoke flavored recipe and wretched. I can't eat a 7 ounce package of any meat. I absolutely couldn't eat this chicken.
I guess I'm just going to have to gag down tuna. Or stick to decent brands of jerky.
Bon appetite!
Wayne

Venchka
10-07-2016, 15:23
it's not a food item I eat so I can't say with certainty what stores carry it but Amazon has it! https://www.amazon.com/Tyson-Chicken-Breast-7-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B003NRMHFI

Thanks. I've tried that brand. See my other reply.
Wayne

Sandy of PA
10-07-2016, 16:15
I try to stay lo-carb while hiking and it helps control hiker hunger. I no longer gain 10 pounds within a week of returning home! My pack is full of eggs, Spam, cheese, nuts, home dried sweet potatoes, organically grown dried fruits without added sugar, and 85%chocolate bars. I buy freeze dried ingredients to make my own dinners. One favorite is ground beef, dried tomato paste, onions, parsley, broccoli, salt and pepper. I carry butter or coconut oil for fats. I do eat some minute rice, plain mashed potatoes, and home dried pre-cooked red beans. Tuna is fine but only has 70 calories for 3 oz. VS 210 calories for Spam. No gluten.

MuddyWaters
10-08-2016, 07:09
Thanks for the explanation and confirmation of what I'm seeing in the market place.
Sometime ago I found a 7 oz foil package of Tyson chicken at Walmart. It was a fake smoke flavored recipe and wretched. I can't eat a 7 ounce package of any meat. I absolutely couldn't eat this chicken.
I guess I'm just going to have to gag down tuna. Or stick to decent brands of jerky.
Bon appetite!
Wayne

It looks it, but small cans of chicken arent that heavy or bulky. The aluminum can is feather lite and can be crushed flat by heel of shoe , doesnt take up space. Theres a few ml of liquid, but its in pouches too. And....its better than tuna. Add to any pasta side and its palatable, unlike ...blech...tuna.

Venchka
10-08-2016, 13:30
It looks it, but small cans of chicken arent that heavy or bulky. The aluminum can is feather lite and can be crushed flat by heel of shoe , doesnt take up space. Theres a few ml of liquid, but its in pouches too. And....its better than tuna. Add to any pasta side and its palatable, unlike ...blech...tuna.

You're reading my mind. The small cans shouldn't be any harder to pack than foil, maybe easier depending on the backpack configuration. I hope I can find a bland version and add my own flavor.
It's always something. Hey.
Wayne

Dogwood
10-08-2016, 22:30

You're reading my mind. The small cans shouldn't be any harder to pack than foil, maybe easier depending on the backpack configuration. I hope I can find a bland version and add my own flavor.
It's always something. Hey.
Wayne ...

There is more liquid(usually mostly water, marketing labels it as broth?) in the same brand cans of chicken than the pouches of comparable size which is why you also get more cals per oz of product with the pouches. It's the same with tuna in the same brand 5 oz cans(Chicken of the Sea for example, white albacore in water) verse the 5 oz pouches(Chicken of the Sea, white albacore tuna in water).

It doesn't end there either. If you weigh a cleaned out, washed and dried 5 oz can(w label still intact and the lid) of this Chicken of the Sea white albacore tuna it weighs MORE(about 40-55%) than the same size 5 oz pouch washed, cleaned and dried out. Remember the 5 oz designation refers to the wt of the contents inside the can or pouch which doesn't include the packaging wt.

What this means if one computes the cal/oz of both the contents and packaging the cans are a bad, dismally bad, cal/oz ratio UL option. No way to repackage a can of chicken or tuna that I know of without major potential consequences once it's opened.

Consider also, despite assumptions, the flat packaging of tuna at least is definitely more density friendly in a food bag than a round sided can.

This is from my own gram weenie merry go round experiments.

nsherry61
10-09-2016, 08:50
. . .The two biggest unhealthy things are man-made fats, and refined flours. Eliminate those, alcohol, and tobacco and your doing pretty.good.
Muddy, I have to disagree. I think the #1 biggest unhealthy thing is lack of regular physical activity.
Hopefully, most of us on these forums have that big one mostly managed or are at least dreaming of managing it.

Venchka
10-09-2016, 10:40
Dogwood,
"It just doesn't matter." Bill Murray
Chicken in foil doesn't exist in a size or flavor that I find palatable. Nor is it available from a source that I find acceptable. I don't shop at Amazon and 7 ounces of chicken is more than I can consume at one meal.
Wayne

egilbe
10-09-2016, 18:23
Dogwood,
"It just doesn't matter." Bill Murray
Chicken in foil doesn't exist in a size or flavor that I find palatable. Nor is it available from a source that I find acceptable. I don't shop at Amazon and 7 ounces of chicken is more than I can consume at one meal.
Wayne

those packages of chicken are good for two people. My gf and I each packed one during our recent 100 Mile Wilderness hike. It was the first thing to get eaten, after the cheese was gone. Its pretty heavy. Half a pound missing from the pack after one meal was noticeable.

Venchka
10-09-2016, 22:38
When I get a backpacking partner who shops at Amazon I might try it one more time. I really hated the fake smoke version.
Wayne

RockDoc
10-26-2016, 12:13
Your post reflects the failed and discredited nutritional dogma from the late 1970's, which led to the obesity epidemic. I don't think that you've described your diet, but the problems that you describe are usually caused by high carb consumption. Concentrating on cholesterol, and limiting salt and fat is not the right plan. Unsupported brainwashing that never did have much basis. The idea that fat clogs our arteries was based on a stupid study of rabbits that has no bearing on human physiology.

Metabolic syndrome (T2D, heart disease, obesity, gout, etc) is caused by a high carb diet in people with insulin resistance. Here's (http://burnfatnotsugar.com/) one of the best explanations that I've found, by Ted Naiman, a super fit and clued in doctor that I have gone to personally and had excellent results following. Watch the video on diet, and clear up your misconceptions!

rocketsocks
10-26-2016, 15:16
Your post reflects the failed and discredited nutritional dogma from the late 1970's, which led to the obesity epidemic. I don't think that you've described your diet, but the problems that you describe are usually caused by high carb consumption. Concentrating on cholesterol, and limiting salt and fat is not the right plan. Unsupported brainwashing that never did have much basis. The idea that fat clogs our arteries was based on a stupid study of rabbits that has no bearing on human physiology.

Metabolic syndrome (T2D, heart disease, obesity, gout, etc) is caused by a high carb diet in people with insulin resistance. Here's (http://burnfatnotsugar.com/) one of the best explanations that I've found, by Ted Naiman, a super fit and clued in doctor that I have gone to personally and had excellent results following. Watch the video on diet, and clear up your misconceptions!great video! Thanks

rocketsocks
10-26-2016, 15:18
But damn are these shortbread cookies I just made good. :D

Old Hiker
10-26-2016, 16:47
My weight dropped from 225 to 175 or less. My cholesterol went from 210 to 109 over the 7 months. Dr was impressed.

I was eating 3000-5500 calories a day the last 2 months and NOT paying attention to fat or calories. I did try to eat salads and protein while in town.

jeffmeh
10-26-2016, 18:14
Long, and I have probably posted it before, but very well done and entertaining on good nutritional science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RXvBveht0