PDA

View Full Version : Caledonia to Pine Grove

JLorenzo77
10-06-2016, 12:35
Hey everyone - So my buddy and I are going to do a two-day, one-night hike from Caledonia to Pine Grove from Saturday afternoon - Sunday, stopping for the night at Birch Run shelter.

A couple questions for you fine people.

1) How is Birch Run shelter? I understand it is a relatively new shelter. I'll be tenting it but it is supposed to turn windy so I may hunker down in there.
2) Pine Grove SP has the halfway museum on site, right?

Thanks!

Studlintsean
10-06-2016, 12:45
Hey everyone - So my buddy and I are going to do a two-day, one-night hike from Caledonia to Pine Grove from Saturday afternoon - Sunday, stopping for the night at Birch Run shelter.

1) How is Birch Run shelter? I understand it is a relatively new shelter. I'll be tenting it but it is supposed to turn windy so I may hunker down in there.

Thanks!

Yes on the Museum. I walked through this area the weekend after Thanksgiving and don't remember exactly which shelter was which but it is a pretty standard shelter (nothing compared to Quarry Gap which you will pass on your way). Enjoy the hike.

chknfngrs
10-06-2016, 12:48
Museum is worth stop. Have fun!

dudeijuststarted
10-06-2016, 13:10

Thanks!

Birch run is my favorite shelter on the AT. It is a place out of time.

Pine Grove SP does have a museum, yes. It wasn't open when I was there so check the schedule.

Spirit Walker
10-06-2016, 16:29
From the Museum Newsletter:

A. T. MUSEUM HOURS OF OPERATION :

Sept.- Oct 30, Wednesday - Sunday, 12 pm to 4 pm

FALL FURNACE FEST ~

Sat., Oct. 15th. & Sun. 16th.- 9 am to 4 pm (ALL DAY) !

Columbus Day, Mon. Oct. 10th - 9 am to 4 pm (ALL DAY) !

SkeeterPee
10-06-2016, 16:41
Nice Shelter, very close to AT path, camping right across the path next to creek. IF highwater, then some of those sites might be under water, but was fine when I was there. Has a bear bag hanging pole. privy also close. I also like this shelter.

Don H
10-06-2016, 16:45
Google "Birch Run Shelter" for pics. I didn't find any in the WB gallery but found some online.

JLorenzo77
10-07-2016, 09:50
Birch run is my favorite shelter on the AT. It is a place out of time.

Pine Grove SP does have a museum, yes. It wasn't open when I was there so check the schedule.

No kidding re: Birch Run? I'm excited. Looks like the rain may linger into the afternoon tomorrow but I don't care.

JLorenzo77
10-07-2016, 09:51
Nice Shelter, very close to AT path, camping right across the path next to creek. IF highwater, then some of those sites might be under water, but was fine when I was there. Has a bear bag hanging pole. privy also close. I also like this shelter.

Thanks for this info, Skeeter. I'm excited to see it and hopefully sleep well near it.

dudeijuststarted
10-07-2016, 10:19
No kidding re: Birch Run? I'm excited. Looks like the rain may linger into the afternoon tomorrow but I don't care.

no better sleep than in an AT shelter in a rainstorm

SkeeterPee
10-07-2016, 11:44
I probably liked because of the nearby stream and close to everything. I.e. no .3 mile hike to shelter and then .3 down/up to get water. Every thing is convenient.

NJdreamer
10-07-2016, 22:30
I was last at Birch Run in 2014. At that time, there were a number of tent locations in area of the shelter. One of the area's had beautiful carved furniture - benches and tables around a fire ring. As I recall there is a creek in front of the shelter. Look around the area, wandering along the creek, and you will see the furniture, made out of fallen trees, if it is still there.

capehiker
10-08-2016, 04:04
Birch Run shelter is pretty awesome. If the creek is high, there is another tenting spot behind the shelter and to the slight right. There are two bear poles. I like to sleep along the creek and use the site with the tree set-up as a table.

Unfortunately, the last time I was there in June, my night was completely ruined by a group of locals who were complete jag-offs.