PDA

View Full Version : AT along Stover Creek -Are there many campsites along this stretch?

litetrek
10-07-2016, 10:00
I'm taking a first timer backpacking and I picked this section because it looks fairly easy and you can stop about anywhere because you're hiking along a water source. So if the first timer gets tired you can stop IF there is an established campsite available. I've never hiked this stretch of the trail. I have a couple of questions:

1) I know that there is camping around stover creek shelter and at three forks, but I'm wondering about if there are established campsites in between. The stover creek shelter is too close to where we're starting and three forks is probably too far. There are three small tents in our group so a tiny campsite big enough for one wont work.

2) Stover creek is a four season creek but its been pretty dry this month. How is the water situation?

FatMan
10-07-2016, 11:13
There are loads of places you a pitch a tent or three. If you are looking for large established with a fire ring there are several on long creek just beyond three forks Forest Service Road crossing. Those large creeks are running just fine.

Enjoy your Hike!

MuddyWaters
10-07-2016, 15:25
I'm taking a first timer backpacking and I picked this section because it looks fairly easy and you can stop about anywhere because you're hiking along a water source. So if the first timer gets tired you can stop IF there is an established campsite available. I've never hiked this stretch of the trail. I have a couple of questions:

1) I know that there is camping around stover creek shelter and at three forks, but I'm wondering about if there are established campsites in between. The stover creek shelter is too close to where we're starting and three forks is probably too far. There are three small tents in our group so a tiny campsite big enough for one wont work.

2) Stover creek is a four season creek but its been pretty dry this month. How is the water situation?

It's 1.5 mi from stover creek to 3 forks, all downhill slightly.

And that's an insurmountable distance?

It's an easy shaded 30-40 min stroll. Seriously. Less to where campsites start.

Large campsites along creek at 3 forks, and you should target there imo. Get there early or you will find others.

FreeGoldRush
10-07-2016, 15:40

We did this area last weekend. Sounds like you are hiking north, which is downhill slightly and easy walking. I can't imagine distance would be a problem. There are lots of tenting areas. The creek has water.

daddytwosticks
10-07-2016, 16:22
I seem to remember the trail crossing the creek via footbridge about half way between Stover Creek Shelter and the forest service road at Three Forks. I think there is a place to set up some tents right before the footbridge on the left. Good luck. :)

litetrek
10-07-2016, 20:29
There are loads of places you a pitch a tent or three. If you are looking for large established with a fire ring there are several on long creek just beyond three forks Forest Service Road crossing. Those large creeks are running just fine.

Enjoy your Hike!

I'm taking an old person with Asthma - thats my first timer. Distance is possibly an issue and yes I need an established fire ring. That's why I asked. You can usually pitch a tent about anywhere, but an established fire ring and a water source is what I need. I am a very experienced hiker. This will be a baby trip for me. I don't mind just hiking a mile or so, but I personally don't want to camp next to a bunch of other people if its possible. I could more easily do that a a state park.

litetrek
10-07-2016, 20:33
We did this area last weekend. Sounds like you are hiking north, which is downhill slightly and easy walking. I can't imagine distance would be a problem. There are lots of tenting areas. The creek has water.

Distance is a problem for a older person with asthma. I'm not worried about it but I'm worried about the person hiking with me. I dont expect that we'll want to go more than 2.5 miles.

litetrek
10-07-2016, 20:40
It's 1.5 mi from stover creek to 3 forks, all downhill slightly.

And that's an insurmountable distance?

It's an easy shaded 30-40 min stroll. Seriously. Less to where campsites start.

Large campsites along creek at 3 forks, and you should target there imo. Get there early or you will find others.

My first time hiker is not 8 years old. I'm taking an older person with health issues who has always wanted to do it. I researched this and I know there are large campsites at three forks. I don't want to camp there as I'm sure there will be too many people - already ruled it out days ago. I personally don't like the AT because there are too many people usually.

MuddyWaters
10-07-2016, 20:56
Kudos for getting someone out there.
If they can only do 2 mi at slight downhill grade on easy trail...
Can they turn around and go back up? Twice as hard.

litetrek
10-07-2016, 21:29
Kudos for getting someone out there.
If they can only do 2 mi at slight downhill grade on easy trail...
Can they turn around and go back up? Twice as hard.

The two mile estimate is based on going back uphill on day two the entire way. Although the uphill grade is pretty shallow - about 300 feet per mile. Thats not much.