PDA

View Full Version : Well, I did it (Caledonia to Pine Grove)

JLorenzo77
10-09-2016, 19:08
That is a helluva hike. Birch Run is a great shelter. I hiked in the rain, with pack weight and spent a night out (all firsts) all in one and I am still alive. It was fun. I learned a lot. I slept terribly and need to bring more water (or a filter) and my shoulders (where the bag straps sat) are very sore. But it was amazing.

dudeijuststarted
10-09-2016, 19:38
That is a helluva hike. Birch Run is a great shelter. I hiked in the rain, with pack weight and spent a night out (all firsts) all in one and I am still alive. It was fun. I learned a lot. I slept terribly and need to bring more water (or a filter) and my shoulders (where the bag straps sat) are very sore. But it was amazing.

That was my first 20+ on the AT, and it wrecked me! Not to mention an old man I was hiking with asked me for a "sip" of water and proceeded to chug it all with 6 miles left. We called the climb out of Caledonia "The Crucible."

JLorenzo77
10-09-2016, 20:52
That was my first 20+ on the AT, and it wrecked me! Not to mention an old man I was hiking with asked me for a "sip" of water and proceeded to chug it all with 6 miles left. We called the climb out of Caledonia "The Crucible."

Apt nickname for that section. I also would've loved to hike that Rhododendron tunnel going downhill!!! I'm wrecked too. I've down 24 mile dayhikes but 10 with packweight was tough!

LIhikers
10-09-2016, 22:24
Congrats on your first overnighter.
It only gets more enjoyable from here on out!

JLorenzo77
10-10-2016, 07:32
Congrats on your first overnighter.
It only gets more enjoyable from here on out!

Thanks so much, LIhikers. It was a blast. A very fatiguing blast, but a blast.

chknfngrs
10-10-2016, 08:36
Yes!!! Take notes and repeat another hike!!

tdoczi
10-10-2016, 09:09
Apt nickname for that section. I also would've loved to hike that Rhododendron tunnel going downhill!!! I'm wrecked too. I've down 24 mile dayhikes but 10 with packweight was tough!
Carrying too much? 10 with a pack shouldn't be much (if any) harder than 24 without unless you're carrying tons of stuff. And for one night you really shouldn't need hardly anything.

JLorenzo77
10-10-2016, 09:42
Carrying too much? 10 with a pack shouldn't be much (if any) harder than 24 without unless you're carrying tons of stuff. And for one night you really shouldn't need hardly anything.

I think so. I took too much food and clothing. I also think my pack maybe wasn't packed right. I felt it on my right shoulder almost immediately. Trial and error is the name of the game I suppose.

JLorenzo77
10-10-2016, 09:43
Yes!!! Take notes and repeat another hike!!

Exactly!!! Well stated!

Hikingjim
10-10-2016, 10:01

10 miles with a pack shouldn't be too hard if you can hike it easily without the pack. That's something you can work on sorting out... definitely takes time and some $
When I first started backpacking, I used to hate my pack and toss it down all the time at breaks. Once you find a comfortable weight (especially for short hikes), it won't feel like much of a burden

hikernutcasey
10-10-2016, 10:10
10 miles with a pack shouldn't be too hard if you can hike it easily without the pack. That's something you can work on sorting out... definitely takes time and some $
When I first started backpacking, I used to hate my pack and toss it down all the time at breaks. Once you find a comfortable weight (especially for short hikes), it won't feel like much of a burdenThis is so true. I started out with a Jansport that was always uncomfortable and I just assumed that's the way it was. That is until I bought an Osprey Exos and my life changed forever :) I can now carry my back for multiple hours at a time without issue. Getting your weight down and finding a pack that fits right and adjusted correctly makes all the difference in the world.

What kind of pack do you have and have you had anyone show you how to properly adjust it?

tdoczi
10-10-2016, 19:35
I think so. I took too much food and clothing. I also think my pack maybe wasn't packed right. I felt it on my right shoulder almost immediately. Trial and error is the name of the game I suppose.

i guess theres two ways to look at a high like this. one is as practice for something bigger, which would mean carrying things you dont need just for practice sake.

but if i were doing this exact hike the way you did it, i'd start at 1 or 2pm on day 1, carry almost nothing, and be done by noon or 1pm the next day.

a lot of it is mental. you bring a lot of stuff you think you need, but you dont. at the end of the day what i ultimately realized is i'd overall be happier doing without then burdening myself with a bunch of comforts. ask yourself, which would have been more enjoyable, the hike you just did or doing it over again carrying nothing but a sleeping bag, simple shelter, one cold meal and water treatment? i think now that youve done it you know the answer.

u.w.
10-10-2016, 20:10
Good for you for getting out there and doing your first point to point overnighter hike!! Way cool man! You did it, you survived it, and you learned a lot from it. It's a big step and you'll always remember it.
And now... to plan the next one :-) they'll just keep getting better and better...

u.w.

JLorenzo77
10-10-2016, 22:26
i guess theres two ways to look at a high like this. one is as practice for something bigger, which would mean carrying things you dont need just for practice sake.

but if i were doing this exact hike the way you did it, i'd start at 1 or 2pm on day 1, carry almost nothing, and be done by noon or 1pm the next day.

a lot of it is mental. you bring a lot of stuff you think you need, but you dont. at the end of the day what i ultimately realized is i'd overall be happier doing without then burdening myself with a bunch of comforts. ask yourself, which would have been more enjoyable, the hike you just did or doing it over again carrying nothing but a sleeping bag, simple shelter, one cold meal and water treatment? i think now that youve done it you know the answer.

Agree completely! We did roughly 24 hours out there.

i did bring way too much stuff, mostly food that I didn't eat and clothes I didn't wear.

JLorenzo77
10-10-2016, 22:26
Good for you for getting out there and doing your first point to point overnighter hike!! Way cool man! You did it, you survived it, and you learned a lot from it. It's a big step and you'll always remember it.
And now... to plan the next one :-) they'll just keep getting better and better...

u.w.

Already thinking about my next one!!!

JLorenzo77
10-10-2016, 22:28
This is so true. I started out with a Jansport that was always uncomfortable and I just assumed that's the way it was. That is until I bought an Osprey Exos and my life changed forever :) I can now carry my back for multiple hours at a time without issue. Getting your weight down and finding a pack that fits right and adjusted correctly makes all the difference in the world.

What kind of pack do you have and have you had anyone show you how to properly adjust it?

That's the bag I have. It might just need adjustments or perhaps I didn't pack it well.

Both shoulders were sore but my right one was especially sore. I dislocated that shoulder in March so that might have contributed.

hikernutcasey
10-11-2016, 09:47
That's the bag I have. It might just need adjustments or perhaps I didn't pack it well.

Both shoulders were sore but my right one was especially sore. I dislocated that shoulder in March so that might have contributed.One of the best things you can do before a trip is take a couple day hikes with your pack on with about 2/3rds of the amount of weight you plan on carrying. This really helps condition yourself to being used to the weight when it's time for your trip. The packing will come with more experience. Heck, I've done over half the A.T. and it seems I change or tweak something almost every time I go.

As for adjusting your pack, do some YouTube searches for how to property put on and adjust your pack. Knowing what all of the individual straps do and how to adjust them properly will help you get the right fit and carry the pack a lot more comfortably.

JLorenzo77
10-11-2016, 13:07
One of the best things you can do before a trip is take a couple day hikes with your pack on with about 2/3rds of the amount of weight you plan on carrying. This really helps condition yourself to being used to the weight when it's time for your trip. The packing will come with more experience. Heck, I've done over half the A.T. and it seems I change or tweak something almost every time I go.

As for adjusting your pack, do some YouTube searches for how to property put on and adjust your pack. Knowing what all of the individual straps do and how to adjust them properly will help you get the right fit and carry the pack a lot more comfortably.

That is really great advice. And as someone who has only hiked about 80 miles of trail, I am envious of you!

THEDON
10-11-2016, 20:58
Having done 200+ miles of day hikes along the AT in VA and MD. My first over nights were this year also. Pen-Mar to Boiling Springs. Had a shoulder strap issue also. Some how the strap on my Osprey Atmos got twisted and didn't know it until shoulder got too sore to go on. Wanted to make it to Duncannon. Second lesson learned (first being the strap), was don't do more miles than you planned on. I planned on about 10-12 a day and did a 17 because I was making real good time and felt good. Between the ache the next day ( this 63 year old body ain't what she use to be) and the strap I bailed north of Boiling springs and wife picked me up at a cross road. Wanted to end in Duncannon. Always next year. spent the rest of the summer day hiking the blue ridge parkway.

JLorenzo77
10-12-2016, 08:18
Having done 200+ miles of day hikes along the AT in VA and MD. My first over nights were this year also. Pen-Mar to Boiling Springs. Had a shoulder strap issue also. Some how the strap on my Osprey Atmos got twisted and didn't know it until shoulder got too sore to go on. Wanted to make it to Duncannon. Second lesson learned (first being the strap), was don't do more miles than you planned on. I planned on about 10-12 a day and did a 17 because I was making real good time and felt good. Between the ache the next day ( this 63 year old body ain't what she use to be) and the strap I bailed north of Boiling springs and wife picked me up at a cross road. Wanted to end in Duncannon. Always next year. spent the rest of the summer day hiking the blue ridge parkway.

Thedon - Thanks for sharing that story. Very good lessons. I love my Osprey Exos but I definitely need to address the strap issue. I felt pretty good otherwise but when the shoulders ache, it ain't good. We decided on ~10 miles per day as I was facing a lot of 'firsts' and was glad to have survived most of them. :) Hope you have healed up and get back out there!

chknfngrs
10-12-2016, 09:56
It's hard to put the brakes on when you're feeling so good but important to realize bigger picture mentality

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:33
Wow congrats! Gotta love big hikes.