PDA

View Full Version : PCT Southern CA section this late November/December...

colorado_rob
10-10-2016, 10:31
I did search, couldn't find a thread about this...

Anyway, my wife and I have a few weeks free this late November/early December, and we plan on attempting a large chunk of the PCT next year, hopefully more than half of it, perhaps all of California. So I got to thinking: why not try 200-300 miles this late fall? If the early snow doesn't accumulate, this seems entirely feasible.

I realize water will be an issue, but we're prepared to hump big water carries, plus perhaps we can cherry pick our section based on water availability.

One issue is permits: I see on the PCT site that they are "no longer issuing permits for 2016". I sent them an information request on what this means. Is, perhaps, a permit not required to hike a couple hundred miles of it in the late fall? would then issue a permit upon special request?

Has anyone tried to do this (hike the southern pct in November/December)?

We are well prepared for cold weather and short daylight, even some moderate snow.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Dogwood
10-10-2016, 12:09

Many, they are called SOBO PCT thru-hikers. :D Most I recently spoke with on Oregon weren't planning on finishing at Campo until around late Nov early Dec.

You might look at a 200 mile section between Walker and Cajon Pass.

colorado_rob
10-10-2016, 12:14

Many, they are called SOBO PCT thru-hikers. :D Most I recently spoke with on Oregon weren't planning on finishing at Campo until around late Nov early Dec.

You might look at a 200 mile section between Walker and Cajon Pass.Cool, good to know there will be some hikers out there, and thanks for that section suggestion. Let me be more specific on my question: has anyone started a pct section hike in SOCAL, meaning, gone through the permit process?

DuneElliot
10-10-2016, 12:21
I think the permits are only available for doing 500+ miles in one year anyway. Looks like you'll have to get the permits individually.

Coffee
10-10-2016, 20:09
PCTA only issues permits for trips over 500 miles so it would be necessary to research the proposed trip to see what permits, if any, are required for the section. I doubt permits will be hard to get this time of year, if any are required for the section at all. I'd try to call PCTA and ask them for guidance on which agencies to contact.

colorado_rob
10-11-2016, 08:28
Thanks Coffee and Dune! (and again DW for that Walker pass recommendation) Of course you're right, we only need local permits, if any. Hard to figure out for sure looking at NF web pages, but looks like we need no permit in Sequoia, heading south from Walker pass. I'll call the various agencies along the way.

Again, thanks!

jefals
10-11-2016, 08:33
I did the section from Campo to Warner Springs last November. You're supposed to get 2 permits for it;
1) A campfire permit -- you're supposed to have this one, even if you just want to light your stove. I found this number, 707-562-8794, on the PCTA website, and they'll mail this permit to you. If that doesn't work, just google "California Campfire permit", and you'll find it.
2) You get the other permit from the Descanso Ranger district of the Cleveland National Forest. Contact nbr is 619-445-6235.

I might be out there again this year...Have fun!