PDA

View Full Version : Windshirt layering

PoppaZ
01-12-2006, 17:04
I'm going out in a few days for a pretty windy/cold hike. I'm going to wear my micropuff pullover and my new go lite windshirt(half price at STP). How do you guys find layering with a windshirt is most effective? Should the shirt be on the outside or will it be ok if I wear it next to my baselayer?

Thanks

bulldog49
01-12-2006, 17:18
I never wear an insulating layer while I'm hiking. I wear my windshirt over a base layer only and still work up a sweat even in cold conditions.

I have a micro puff pullover and absolutely love it. My wind shirt is the Patagonia Dragonfly and is a great garment as well.

chris
01-12-2006, 17:22
I would wear the shirt on the outside, with insulation inside. I would not wear the puffball unless it is extremely cold outside. Down to about 30 degrees, a thermal top plus wind layer is fine for when I'm moving. I carry a down jacket in my pack and put that on top when I stop for a break.

hammock engineer
01-12-2006, 17:40
Should the shirt be on the outside or will it be ok if I wear it next to my baselayer?

I always try to put my windbreaker layer on the outside. The warmer layers underneath will create more dead air space that will body will heat up. If the layers are outside your windbreak, the wind will go through that layer cutting down its usefulness. If it helps, think loft in a sleeping bag with the insulation your base layers and your windbreaker the outer nylon layer.